Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777829 times)

cucktard, munchbox and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

blahblah999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6150 on: January 28, 2023, 07:12:56 AM »
Makes sense, I didn't know if the problem of spacers rarely fitting wheels right is because of poor spacer or wheel tolerances. If most cheap spacers are at fault, I can see the race reds working perfectly.

While it's still hard to believe that companies get the spacer size wrong. It must be a lot harder to make precise bearing seats in wheels than making a precise spacer.

Maybe you know this already but many brands of wheels are shocking quality with runout and very poor tolerances. The people selling these are often completely clueless about it too.

There are way too many brands of bearings these days also. Most of these are coming from China and probably the same small number of OEMs. The spacers included with these bearings are usually cheap metal that deforms easily, like aluminum alloy.

Better bearings come with steel spacers made to tighter tolerances.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6151 on: January 30, 2023, 02:22:50 AM »
I have some 54mm OJ Hardline Elites on a spare setup. And some Spitfire F4s of the same size and shape on my main setup. The OJs seem to be faster and slide easier for me. But I heard they flatspot easy so I stopped using them. Both wheels are 99a. Maybe I should try some 101a Spitfires cause I like the look of them but wish they were a little less grippy.

Idk what this rant is about 😅

oldxdad

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6152 on: January 30, 2023, 05:36:44 AM »
I mainly skate curbs and I’ve been on Dragons since August. I switched to the X97 in December and on semi rough asphalt there are strengths I’ve noticed for both. The roll on the dragons is much smoother but when locking into feebles I’d get an unpleasant bark/squeal sound that made me think something was wrong or off. The X97 rolls kinda like a better Spitfire Formula Four 99a and there have been no issues with sound on the curb. The next wheel that I want to try is a Spitfire 97a to compare.

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
« Reply #6153 on: January 30, 2023, 06:11:36 AM »
I mainly skate curbs and I’ve been on Dragons since August. I switched to the X97 in December and on semi rough asphalt there are strengths I’ve noticed for both. The roll on the dragons is much smoother but when locking into feebles I’d get an unpleasant bark/squeal sound that made me think something was wrong or off. The X97 rolls kinda like a better Spitfire Formula Four 99a and there have been no issues with sound on the curb. The next wheel that I want to try is a Spitfire 97a to compare.

That is the only thing thats a minus with dragons, otherwise they are A+

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6154 on: January 30, 2023, 08:56:03 AM »
Since NFG was seemingly done I snagged a couple sets of the 58mm NFG Vee Shape (52D) wheels from the shop before they were potentially gone forever.

They looked weird to me so I measured. They’re all just slightly over 56mm in diameter. They’re also like a quarter inch narrower than the much older worn 54mm’s (52D) and not-so-worn 56mm’s (95A) that I have.

Weird.
I hope NFG isn’t done. Their original IG was gone but looks like there’s two (newer?) IG accounts: NFG NFG Distribution and NFG Manufacturing.

Anyone have more info?
Maybe they’re not done and instead they’re just… pivoting.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6155 on: January 30, 2023, 12:04:55 PM »
Since NFG was seemingly done I snagged a couple sets of the 58mm NFG Vee Shape (52D) wheels from the shop before they were potentially gone forever.

They looked weird to me so I measured. They’re all just slightly over 56mm in diameter. They’re also like a quarter inch narrower than the much older worn 54mm’s (52D) and not-so-worn 56mm’s (95A) that I have.

Weird.
I hope NFG isn’t done. Their original IG was gone but looks like there’s two (newer?) IG accounts: NFG NFG Distribution and NFG Manufacturing.

Anyone have more info?

Not sure if they're completely done or not, the Wizard has been kind of vague about that. It doesn't sound like they sold the equipment and he seems to be on the fence about calling it a hiatus and coming back when they have some money to pay the technicians with. Either way around it we're going to be NFG-less for the forseeable future as I'm pretty sure they moved out of the building that they were using to make wheels out of.

That sizing inaccuracy is an old issue, they didn't account for the change in size that would happen in the manufacturing process when they ordered the molds, and those molds are pretty expensive so they used them regardless. They were planning on getting new and more accurate molds at some point but I guess couldn't get around to it.

Those instagram accounts are old, actually, they registered them so that no one else would take those usernames.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Yossi

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6156 on: January 30, 2023, 12:24:36 PM »
Looking for some advice on wheels. I've been riding multiple sets of OJ mini-juices on my cruiser/crust setups for years and am finally over not being able to slide. I have tried the Spitfire 97s and they're just not soft enough for the shit ground around me. Do the OJ 87a keyframes slide (powerslide, nose/tail slides) or would I be better going with the Dragons? I'd prob go with the 54mm option on either of those.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6157 on: January 30, 2023, 12:38:17 PM »
Looking for some advice on wheels. I've been riding multiple sets of OJ mini-juices on my cruiser/crust setups for years and am finally over not being able to slide. I have tried the Spitfire 97s and they're just not soft enough for the shit ground around me. Do the OJ 87a keyframes slide (powerslide, nose/tail slides) or would I be better going with the Dragons? I'd prob go with the 54mm option on either of those.

Dragons are great, I have em in 54mm and dig em. They sound like what you want as well. They are a bit pricey and harder to get than keyframes but you get what you pay for, it's great urethane.

edit: I guess they're easier to get than when they first came out, I found em on a few different online stores.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6158 on: January 30, 2023, 02:26:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

Not sure if they're completely done or not, the Wizard has been kind of vague about that. It doesn't sound like they sold the equipment and he seems to be on the fence about calling it a hiatus and coming back when they have some money to pay the technicians with. Either way around it we're going to be NFG-less for the forseeable future as I'm pretty sure they moved out of the building that they were using to make wheels out of.

That sizing inaccuracy is an old issue, they didn't account for the change in size that would happen in the manufacturing process when they ordered the molds, and those molds are pretty expensive so they used them regardless. They were planning on getting new and more accurate molds at some point but I guess couldn't get around to it.

Those instagram accounts are old, actually, they registered them so that no one else would take those usernames.

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6159 on: January 30, 2023, 08:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

[close]

Sweet. Thanks for the info!
I stockpiled either way! Will be interesting to see where loophole ends up...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

my bad cuh

« Reply #6160 on: January 30, 2023, 08:31:47 PM »

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
really hope not, i was thinking about picking up a set or two of the blemished square shapes just to try them out for cheaper

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6161 on: January 30, 2023, 10:35:23 PM »
Do x formula bark tho?
I love doing invisible back tail sliders on the old smooth sewer caps around Salem. I do it at tourists who cut me off crossing the street in with my loud ass spits.

Dragons I can get to squeak a tiny bit if I try really hard. Definitely bummer that's like that. I figured now they are full broken in that they would get louder like stf. I love the sound of bones stfs.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6162 on: January 31, 2023, 05:37:35 AM »

100% Dragons. Keyframes may as well not exist anymore because Dragons do everything they do, but better.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #6163 on: January 31, 2023, 07:12:22 AM »
Urethane enthusiasts,

I'm currently on a pair of 99duro F4 conicals but I'm looking for something more suited to going spot to spot on occasionally crusty streets and sidewalks. My shop carries the Bones X97s, Dragons, and some Loophole 56mm V-shapes; Spitfire options are limited, no 97du or conical fulls at the moment. My primary concern is that I skate mostly ledges so the bite factor on crooks and whatnot is something I have to consider. As of now I'm partial to those Loopholes but the wider contact patch and wheel size generally would be an adjustment I have to make; and they're not as soft as those other options. I need y'all to guide me with your wisdom.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #6164 on: January 31, 2023, 07:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd only ever go back to bones SPF for skating transition if they stopped making Spitfire f4 99. I'm sure the bones SPF are better than anything other than the f4s, but the difference between them and f4s in a big bowl is huge. I had so many slams riding SPFs, like coming out of a carve hauling ass and lose traction. Never happens with spitfire f4s. I was a very late adapter to f4s too
[close]

Reaally? I always thought that f4 was more of a street wheel and not great (too slippy) for transition. I am using f4 97a conical full for my crust (and crusty transition) wheel atm. What wheel would you recommend for a f4 transition wheel?
I hate unintended slipping coming out from a carve, not fun!
[close]

99 duro F4s are my favorite wheels for transition, I ride the 58mm OG classics. They do well on crusty parks and slippery parks. The grip to slide ratio is perfect and the slide is predictable and controlled. There’s times where I’ve been hauling ass and lost traction but was still able to control it. Anytime that happened with SPFs I got pitched and ate shit hard. SPFs are way faster than F4s though

I ride 99d conical fulls, I buy them at 58 and ride them down to 55s. The park I usually skate is smooth but not slick. Next time I need a new pair though I will probably try the classics, just to change it up a little bit. I've heard good things about skating the classics in transition.

I haven't tried the f4 101s yet, I actually had so many bad slams from losing traction on hard bones SPFs that it scared me into riding a softer wheel.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6165 on: January 31, 2023, 10:17:43 AM »
Urethane enthusiasts,

I'm currently on a pair of 99duro F4 conicals but I'm looking for something more suited to going spot to spot on occasionally crusty streets and sidewalks. My shop carries the Bones X97s, Dragons, and some Loophole 56mm V-shapes; Spitfire options are limited, no 97du or conical fulls at the moment. My primary concern is that I skate mostly ledges so the bite factor on crooks and whatnot is something I have to consider. As of now I'm partial to those Loopholes but the wider contact patch and wheel size generally would be an adjustment I have to make; and they're not as soft as those other options. I need y'all to guide me with your wisdom.

I've been looking for the exact same thing, tried spit 97, dragons and X formula. What you need is the X-formula. Crooks are perfect, everything is just lovely. dragons are a bit sticky on crooks but workable, spit 97 are terrible on ledges.

For real, I haven't been this happy with wheels since trying f4 99a for the first time. X97a is insanely good.
I learnt nollie fs crooks and fakie (switch-) fs crooks today on those wheels. And that's on a kinda sticky angle iron ledge with terrible ground, with no problems. I'll love these wheels forever

Never tried loopholes though

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6166 on: January 31, 2023, 12:30:30 PM »
Urethane enthusiasts,

I was worried about crooks when I got my new Dragons. I'm used to it now. They slide better on non waxed granite than my 58mm spits.
The sound and bounce are the main issues with that wheel. And skatepark ground.

If you park a lot don't bother with the dragons. It's basically an 80hd spit wheel on smooth concrete.

Ram just told me that he got the x97s. He's impressed but they too are not for the park. These are 100% street wheels too it seams.

I wanna cop some mag lights too someday and a slick board. See what I can do with that for fun with the dragons. Once the 9" truck drops I'm getting on that

That would be so sick I'm sure
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6167 on: January 31, 2023, 12:33:47 PM »
Loops are dope wheels too. The team is killer. I like the dial tone team too.

I have a set of tears that I usually ride in the winter but I'm on a bigger than 56mm wheels kick.

There's also Cones wheels. I haven't tried them yet but those guys are super cool.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6168 on: January 31, 2023, 12:41:52 PM »
If Powell could figure out how to make the dragons bark then I'd be 110 a convert
(A)pl(E)

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #6169 on: January 31, 2023, 02:16:18 PM »
I know all the formulas are secret but what do you guys think they're putting in wheels that make them so much better than wheels used to be? What could they be adding other than urethane?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6170 on: January 31, 2023, 02:46:27 PM »
(Poly-)Urethane is the name for a huge group of chemicals that are produced a certain way. So todays wheels are completely different materials than in the past, not just some tiny additions to old urethane.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6171 on: January 31, 2023, 02:51:15 PM »
I know all the formulas are secret but what do you guys think they're putting in wheels that make them so much better than wheels used to be? What could they be adding other than urethane?

Duane Peters Tears. Fastest shit on planet earth. 
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6172 on: January 31, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]
really hope not, i was thinking about picking up a set or two of the blemished square shapes just to try them out for cheaper

If anywhere still has them, get them while you can.

They are done and out.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6173 on: February 02, 2023, 05:06:40 PM »
Not sure how I feel about these, but putting here anyway.  Green available soon in all shapes and sizes.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6174 on: February 02, 2023, 05:12:50 PM »
Not sure how I feel about these, but putting here anyway.  Green available soon in all shapes and sizes.

Yeah fuck doing more shapes, what we need is green wheels

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #6175 on: February 02, 2023, 05:34:05 PM »
Not sure if it’s been posted yet but OJ is close to dropping the “coconut formula” dual duro wheels. Price feels insane.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/two-durometers-in-one-wheel-introducing-oj-double-durometer
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6176 on: February 02, 2023, 05:46:44 PM »
Not sure if it’s been posted yet but OJ is close to dropping the “coconut formula” dual duro wheels. Price feels insane.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/two-durometers-in-one-wheel-introducing-oj-double-durometer

$17 more than F4s?

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6177 on: February 02, 2023, 06:34:20 PM »

Yeah wow.

I still feel like it is:

1. Spitfire

2. Bones

(big gap)

3. Everything else

That's ok, people can make up their own mind and choose whatever they want though. 

No problem there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6178 on: February 02, 2023, 07:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah fuck doing more shapes, what we need is green wheels

Those should be orange. G bones can be green but it's more of a yellow green. That green is the worst colour I could imagine. Looking all child world valtera ism.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6179 on: February 02, 2023, 07:27:03 PM »
Dual duro wheels already happened and got discontinued.. Multiple times both ways.

If the outside is still the elite formula why bother? They will just bounce more and unseat in hot weather
(A)pl(E)