Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 784445 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6210 on: February 08, 2023, 03:21:28 PM »
Back on my spits. I can't have the wheel biting curbs. I'm going to save the dragons for this 9" board I'm going to do this summer
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

elegant_fox

« Reply #6211 on: February 08, 2023, 03:43:09 PM »
I've been skating the 56mm Bones X97 for 2ish weeks now and they're probably my new street wheel. I tried 99a F4s for 30m during those two weeks and they felt awful on eroded streets. With the X97s, it really makes it an all (street) terrain kinda setup where I don't have to worry about catching rocks or cracks. There's almost not wheelbite on the stage 10 Indy 139s I have on it, the marks are from running mushed out bones medium bushings that I've since swapped out. I think you'd only bite when landing hard and off bolts, not rail to rail when turning.

I'd say they have less squidge factor than the 93a Dragons, but it's a similar experience. That also means the X97s have slightly less impact reduction, so you feel that shock "click" when you land. Still less shock than 99a F4s though. They're also fairly quiet, which is a plus for me, I'd rather stealth on the street. They'll still bark during slides, but not as audible as F4s.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:33:09 PM by elegant_fox »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6212 on: February 08, 2023, 05:22:13 PM »
I've been skating the 56mm Bones X97 for 2ish weeks now and they're probably my new street wheel. I tried 99a F4s for 30m during those two weeks and they felt awful on eroded streets. With the X97s, it really makes it an all (street) terrain kinda setup where I don't have to worry about catching rocks or cracks. There's almost not wheelbite on the stage 8 Indy 139s I have on it, the marks are from running mushed out bones medium bushings that I've since swapped out. I think you'd only bite when landing hard and off bolts, not rail to rail when turning.

I'd say they have less squidge factor than the 93a Dragons, but it's a similar experience. That also means the X97s have slightly less impact reduction, so you feel that shock "click" when you land. Still less shock than 99a F4s though. They're also fairly quiet, which is a plus for me, I'd rather stealth on the street. They'll still bark during slides, but not as audible as F4s.

They look like a good width wheel too.

Not as skinny as the usual V5 shape, unless it is just the angle or camera?

I think those trucks are Stage 9 or 10, as Stage 8 still had six hole baseplates and were way bulkier in the look.  Not a big deal, more just curious now.

Two holes in the middle of the baseplate are Stage 9, then single cross on the pivot point in solid baseplate are Stage 10 and cross with circle round it on the pivot point are Stage 11.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6213 on: February 08, 2023, 05:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been skating the 56mm Bones X97 for 2ish weeks now and they're probably my new street wheel. I tried 99a F4s for 30m during those two weeks and they felt awful on eroded streets. With the X97s, it really makes it an all (street) terrain kinda setup where I don't have to worry about catching rocks or cracks. There's almost not wheelbite on the stage 8 Indy 139s I have on it, the marks are from running mushed out bones medium bushings that I've since swapped out. I think you'd only bite when landing hard and off bolts, not rail to rail when turning.

[close]

They look like a good width wheel too.

Not as skinny as the usual V5 shape, unless it is just the angle or camera?

I think those trucks are Stage 9 or 10, as Stage 8 still had six hole baseplates and were way bulkier in the look.  Not a big deal, more just curious now.

Two holes in the middle of the baseplate are Stage 9, then single cross on the pivot point in solid baseplate are Stage 10 and cross with circle round it on the pivot point are Stage 11.

I could be totally wrong on that, I think I was going on what someone at the local shop told me. They’re from circa 2010-2012 if that helps narrow it down.

They do have the cross on the baseplate.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6214 on: February 08, 2023, 05:26:54 PM »

I could be totally wrong on that, I think I was going on what someone at the local shop told me. They’re from circa 2010-2012 if that helps narrow it down.

All good.

Stage 9 came out in 2003
Stage 10 in 2009
Stage 11 in 2012

The board looks good with that whole setup - everything just works right, so you know it is a good one?

:)

* Sometimes I can come across a bit intense than I mean to be with skate product (sorry) but just more curious than anything else.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6215 on: February 08, 2023, 05:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All good.

Stage 9 came out in 2003
Stage 10 in 2009
Stage 11 in 2012

The board looks good with that whole setup - everything just works right, so you know it is a good one?

:)

* Sometimes I can come across a bit intense than I mean to be with skate product (sorry) but just more curious than anything else.

Ah that’s super helpful, thanks for sharing that year breakdown.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6216 on: February 09, 2023, 03:04:32 PM »
Anybody tried Bonjour wheels?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6217 on: February 10, 2023, 12:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/hONy4CicAow?t=170

Incoming Bones X 95/99s?
[close]

It would be incredibly stupid to keep selling the current stf 99a. I really hope that's true.
I unironically like my STF 99a. For the indoor plywood im skating 99a F4s are just too slippery. We will see if it gets better once weather heats up.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6218 on: February 12, 2023, 04:09:44 AM »
Question about urethane manufacturers. I got some Dogtown K9 99s as they were half price with a Dogtown deck at xmas. One of those at that price, cant say no purchases. Not that fussed about the deck to be honest, but really like the wheels to the point where i have retired the STFs. I just wondered if any urethane gurus on the thread might know who makes them. Apologies in advance if there is a 2023 Urethane Directory thread and i missed it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6219 on: February 13, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Creative pours the DT wheels.

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #6220 on: February 13, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »
Dogtown K9 wheels are really good wheels. I've had 92a-97a range durometers and they were all quality. The 95ax57mm ones with the offset bearing seat are my fav. Allows for maximum hanger use with bigger wheels, no need to stack 2-3 washers on the inside of the wheel.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #6221 on: February 13, 2023, 10:30:27 AM »

Yes, Creative-poured.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6222 on: February 13, 2023, 03:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, Creative-poured.
👍🏻 thanks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6223 on: February 13, 2023, 03:35:32 PM »
Question about urethane manufacturers. I got some Dogtown K9 99s as they were half price with a Dogtown deck at xmas. One of those at that price, cant say no purchases. Not that fussed about the deck to be honest, but really like the wheels to the point where i have retired the STFs. I just wondered if any urethane gurus on the thread might know who makes them. Apologies in advance if there is a 2023 Urethane Directory thread and i missed it.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, Creative-poured.
[close]
👍🏻 thanks

If only there was a Urethane manufacturing thread...

But for real though, I think the list would be a bit short or very hard to work out many of the suppliers now.

Brands like Bones and Spitfire do their own in house formulas and don't let anything in or out, with NFG also doing something for a while on a smaller scale, but then Creative and a couple of other main manufacturers who do wheels for most of the middle brands in the industry and the rest are more or less unknown aren't they?

Lots more productions from China and other places, but still some small wheel makers here and there that I have found.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6224 on: February 13, 2023, 05:10:46 PM »
feel free to start one.....or just carry on.  I'm sure there is a list deep in this thread....

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6225 on: February 13, 2023, 05:53:11 PM »
feel free to start one.....or just carry on.  I'm sure there is a list deep in this thread....

Ha yeah, deck manufacturers / woodshop list is enough for me.

Just trying to think of others - 

Aend Industries Inc is the only other really big one that comes to mind, based in USA.

Hicrest does wheels for NHS, based in China.

Some links just for fun / deep dive madness:

https://matchory.com/top-skateboard-wheel-manufacturing-companies

This one has a lot of good shapes:

https://www.skateboard-factory.com/skateboard-wheels-factory.html

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #6226 on: February 14, 2023, 02:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Since NFG was seemingly done I snagged a couple sets of the 58mm NFG Vee Shape (52D) wheels from the shop before they were potentially gone forever.

They looked weird to me so I measured. They’re all just slightly over 56mm in diameter. They’re also like a quarter inch narrower than the much older worn 54mm’s (52D) and not-so-worn 56mm’s (95A) that I have.

Weird.
I hope NFG isn’t done. Their original IG was gone but looks like there’s two (newer?) IG accounts: NFG NFG Distribution and NFG Manufacturing.

Anyone have more info?
Maybe they’re not done and instead they’re just… pivoting.
[close]

Not sure if they're completely done or not, the Wizard has been kind of vague about that. It doesn't sound like they sold the equipment and he seems to be on the fence about calling it a hiatus and coming back when they have some money to pay the technicians with. Either way around it we're going to be NFG-less for the forseeable future as I'm pretty sure they moved out of the building that they were using to make wheels out of.

That sizing inaccuracy is an old issue, they didn't account for the change in size that would happen in the manufacturing process when they ordered the molds, and those molds are pretty expensive so they used them regardless. They were planning on getting new and more accurate molds at some point but I guess couldn't get around to it.

Those instagram accounts are old, actually, they registered them so that no one else would take those usernames.
On the NFG front..  Looks like Loophole just posted about their Spring 23 prebook with "a new formula offered in 99a and 101a"  Seeing as NFG doesn't offer those duros points to Loophole possibly having jumped ship.

Get hungry on it!

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6227 on: February 14, 2023, 02:34:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Since NFG was seemingly done I snagged a couple sets of the 58mm NFG Vee Shape (52D) wheels from the shop before they were potentially gone forever.

They looked weird to me so I measured. They’re all just slightly over 56mm in diameter. They’re also like a quarter inch narrower than the much older worn 54mm’s (52D) and not-so-worn 56mm’s (95A) that I have.

Weird.
I hope NFG isn’t done. Their original IG was gone but looks like there’s two (newer?) IG accounts: NFG NFG Distribution and NFG Manufacturing.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

Not sure if they're completely done or not, the Wizard has been kind of vague about that. It doesn't sound like they sold the equipment and he seems to be on the fence about calling it a hiatus and coming back when they have some money to pay the technicians with. Either way around it we're going to be NFG-less for the forseeable future as I'm pretty sure they moved out of the building that they were using to make wheels out of.

That sizing inaccuracy is an old issue, they didn't account for the change in size that would happen in the manufacturing process when they ordered the molds, and those molds are pretty expensive so they used them regardless. They were planning on getting new and more accurate molds at some point but I guess couldn't get around to it.

Those instagram accounts are old, actually, they registered them so that no one else would take those usernames.
[close]
On the NFG front..  Looks like Loophole just posted about their Spring 23 prebook with "a new formula offered in 99a and 101a"  Seeing as NFG doesn't offer those duros points to Loophole possibly having jumped ship.

Yeah NFG isn't manufacturing right now/maybe anymore

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6228 on: February 14, 2023, 02:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

[close]

I asked who’s pouring them, although I’m pretty sure it’s creative, we will see if they respond
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6229 on: February 14, 2023, 04:41:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

[close]
[close]

I asked who’s pouring them, although I’m pretty sure it’s creative, we will see if they respond

Lol I liked your comment. I really want to know who’s pouring too I’ve been buying up as many v cut 56s as I can find right now so I’m interested to see how the new formulas feel

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #6230 on: February 14, 2023, 04:52:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Lol I liked your comment. I really want to know who’s pouring too I’ve been buying up as many v cut 56s as I can find right now so I’m interested to see how the new formulas feel

idk why, but the art in that insta post makes me immediately think of creative wheel brands

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 445
« Reply #6231 on: February 14, 2023, 05:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

idk why, but the art in that insta post makes me immediately think of creative wheel brands

Especially because it’s all black and white. Through Creative you pay per color as well as a setup fee per color. Usually look books are a full color representation of the final art but maybe they’re adding color later?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6232 on: February 14, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »
Spotted these while trawling the NHS site. Anyone brave enough to rock these on a 90s-inspired rig?

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/45mm-swamp-wheels-pink-green-swirl-99a-skateboard-wheels-oj?variant=43290395476125

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #6233 on: February 14, 2023, 05:39:40 PM »
ordered some 56 v loopholes today. a friend who owns a skate shop in town speaks very highly of em

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #6234 on: February 14, 2023, 10:35:53 PM »
Spotted these while trawling the NHS site. Anyone brave enough to rock these on a 90s-inspired rig?

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/45mm-swamp-wheels-pink-green-swirl-99a-skateboard-wheels-oj?variant=43290395476125

tempting. but it would be a fun setup though..

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6235 on: February 15, 2023, 02:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Weird.

Anyone have more info?
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

lol I liked that comment too, even though I now have around 10 sets of nfg urethane on ice!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #6236 on: February 17, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
i keep checking to see if this thread has had an update to the loophole question, killing me

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6237 on: February 17, 2023, 01:17:29 PM »
Got some Dragons for my cruiser. 56mm.
Really digging them. Fast for a soft wheel.
Smooths out the crust nicely.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #6238 on: February 17, 2023, 01:19:35 PM »
I’ve been debating getting them for months now. I mostly skate smooth places so it’s hard to justify, but I want to try them.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6239 on: February 17, 2023, 01:38:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’ve been debating getting them for months now. I mostly skate smooth places so it’s hard to justify, but I want to try them.

I skate mostly smooth places.  SPF are the best at the flow park I go to because they are the fastest.  I like F4 101 or STF 103s at the smooth "street" park because they slide better than SPF.

Dragons are great on crust and even nice pavement.  They fall flat for me where it's super smooth.  They are slower than a 99 wheel, which is a big negative for how I skate. 

X 97s are almost as nice in crust, but feel more like a 99 on smooth surfaces.  They too are oddly silent.    If you are mostly smooth and wanting to try a new formula, go X 97.