Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777746 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6300 on: March 14, 2023, 01:58:37 PM »
Expand Quote
…but who’s pouring the wheels?
[close]

Apparently a new company from SF according to their Instagram. I'm cool as long as it isn't creative

damn did they finally answer? or did someone finally man up & dm

zozu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #6301 on: March 14, 2023, 07:26:26 PM »
sold my cruiser setup last year but looking to get another one, previously had 55mm Super Juices which I liked.

Only thing really similar that I can get at the moment is some Mini Logo 55mm 80a wheels, has anyone tried both and can say if they are comparable?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6302 on: March 14, 2023, 08:14:35 PM »
sold my cruiser setup last year but looking to get another one, previously had 55mm Super Juices which I liked.

Only thing really similar that I can get at the moment is some Mini Logo 55mm 80a wheels, has anyone tried both and can say if they are comparable?

In my experience they felt similar, but the Mini Logos didn't feel like they sunk into the ground much compared to Super Juices, which may be a pro or con. They are also a symmetrical shape.

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #6303 on: March 14, 2023, 08:18:46 PM »
I get its a small company but putting up graphics for your wheels that you haven't made yet is some budget shit. Also my 56mm v cuts measured at 55mm and it seems to be most people's experience with em. Good wheels tho. At least the NFG poured ones.

100% of the industry is budget by those standards

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6304 on: March 15, 2023, 05:24:43 AM »
Making catalogs for upcoming seasons is some budget shit!

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #6305 on: March 15, 2023, 05:30:24 AM »
making product at all is budget

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6306 on: March 15, 2023, 05:37:52 AM »
Making catalogs for upcoming seasons is some budget shit!
I mean they lost their wheel supplier probably in the middle of making a drop so you can’t really blame them can you?
(Says the guy sitting on 10 sets of NFG wheels)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6307 on: March 15, 2023, 07:11:14 AM »
Wait… I thought that’s what all companies do? Like put out a pre book so you can see what they gonna have in the next season or whatever? Meh I’ll support them no matter where they go, cool they found another wheel maker in SF
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6308 on: March 15, 2023, 08:46:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I get its a small company but putting up graphics for your wheels that you haven't made yet is some budget shit. Also my 56mm v cuts measured at 55mm and it seems to be most people's experience with em. Good wheels tho. At least the NFG poured ones.
[close]

100% of the industry is budget by those standards
The rest of the industry make samples of the products and take photos of those for the catalogue, not png's of the wheel graphics exported straight out of illustrator and advertise wheels that "could be reality" if you order. They don't even overlay the graphics onto imaginary wheels to approximate the shape and look of the wheel. Fuck it, I'll still support. Just looking like struggle season over there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:43:04 AM by camel filters »

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6309 on: March 16, 2023, 03:58:31 PM »
Found these on marketplace, anybody knows if they're real? Couldn't find any info

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6310 on: March 16, 2023, 05:32:50 PM »
Found these on marketplace, anybody knows if they're real? Couldn't find any info

Those look real, they are also ancient relics, I don't think Spitfire has made wheels that size in nearly 30 years

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6311 on: March 16, 2023, 08:48:38 PM »

*  They look closest to some wheels in the 1994 catalog

You are looking at some 1992 - 1993 (and even 1994 through 1995 from the catalog pics below) specials right there.

Funny how Spitfire have often done XX.5 mm wheels over the years, like they just wanted to do a specific size or had to add the .5 in there just for fun.

For collectors, they might be worth a bit, but for anyone else, they are probably going to feel terrible to actually skate, unless you really want to build up your pushing leg / pumping muscles.

If they were on period correct trucks or even a complete, that would be one worth seeing too.

Things were weird around that time, in the middle of the BPSW era - Big Pants Small Wheels - if you didn't get the reference.

Edit:

http://vertisdead.blogspot.com/2021/02/the-ever-shrinking-wheel.html

For anyone who is keen to have a good look at some history in the wheel department, this is amazing.

Well worth having a look at the catalog pics.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:59:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hayduke lives

• Rep: 35
« Reply #6312 on: March 16, 2023, 09:09:16 PM »

also curious about what trucks those are. guessing composite baseplate gullwings, maybe street shadows?

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6313 on: March 16, 2023, 10:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

also curious about what trucks those are. guessing composite baseplate gullwings, maybe street shadows?

Street pro 3 with the plastic baseplate, good eye.

Expand Quote

[close]

You are looking at some 1992 - 1993 (and even 1994 through 1995 from the catalog pics below) specials right there.

Funny how Spitfire have often done XX.5 mm wheels over the years, like they just wanted to do a specific size or had to add the .5 in there just for fun.

For collectors, they might be worth a bit, but for anyone else, they are probably going to feel terrible to actually skate, unless you really want to build up your pushing leg / pumping muscles.

If they were on period correct trucks or even a complete, that would be one worth seeing too.

Things were weird around that time, in the middle of the BPSW era - Big Pants Small Wheels - if you didn't get the reference.

Edit:

For anyone who is keen to have a good look at some history in the wheel department, this is amazing.

Thanks that was a good read, yeah the set seems to be from the mid 90s but unfortunately the seller has only one truck, so I'm probably not gonna buy it.

Didn't spitfire launch the f4s with 55.5mm wheels?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6314 on: March 17, 2023, 03:59:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Street pro 3 with the plastic baseplate, good eye.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Edit:

[close]
Thanks that was a good read, yeah the set seems to be from the mid 90s but unfortunately the seller has only one truck, so I'm probably not gonna buy it.

Didn't spitfire launch the f4s with 55.5mm wheels?

i thought they came out first with the 52 mm Classic shape, then made 54 and 56 mm Classics, along with a shape they called "Full" which was more a Conical Full type of thing, but I don't recall any .5 sizes in their first range.

They did do 54.5 mm Formula Four Classic Full wheels for Cardiel, which I have a set of still - such a good shape, but I have lots of others so these will most likely stay in shrink.  The first set of them I had did get skated though.

The 1996 and 1997 catalogs had all the bigger sizes with 60.5 being a common one that I saw earlier too.

Link here:

https://radpursuits.com/90s-skateboard-wheels/

This one is even more interesting from a much broader view of wheels in that era, from 45 mm to 65 mm wheels on the last page from that spread.

Worth a look there too.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6315 on: March 17, 2023, 10:15:43 AM »

Anyone have any history on the Formula One Faze 4 One-Bearing Wheel in the 1993 catalog?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6316 on: March 18, 2023, 12:25:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Anyone have any history on the Formula One Faze 4 One-Bearing Wheel in the 1993 catalog?

reminds me of tracker e-clips trucks and other gimmicks that were prevalent at the time

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6317 on: March 18, 2023, 08:43:25 AM »
Very funny looking at those old catalog pages. Some people I knew continued to ride sub-50mm wheels up through '96 or so.

The really small wheels also tended to be narrower than a regular wheel which meant truck axles got jacked up more. So besides rolling like crap and being more prone to flat spots that's another reason I was glad to see them go.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6318 on: March 18, 2023, 05:41:41 PM »
Very funny looking at those old catalog pages. Some people I knew continued to ride sub-50mm wheels up through '96 or so.

The really small wheels also tended to be narrower than a regular wheel which meant truck axles got jacked up more. So besides rolling like crap and being more prone to flat spots that's another reason I was glad to see them go.

For sure.

The other funny thing was when wheels did get a bit bigger overall, people would still ride them down to almost nothing, so they ended up looking like old Mini Cubic wheels, wider than they were tall, when they were near the end of their life.  I still see some kids riding hand me down wheels (and everything else for that matter) that are beyond what most people would call a reasonable size, but at least they are skating and usually happy to get whatever they can from anyone else.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6319 on: March 19, 2023, 06:36:35 AM »

For sure.

The other funny thing was when wheels did get a bit bigger overall, people would still ride them down to almost nothing, so they ended up looking like old Mini Cubic wheels, wider than they were tall, when they were near the end of their life.  I still see some kids riding hand me down wheels (and everything else for that matter) that are beyond what most people would call a reasonable size, but at least they are skating and usually happy to get whatever they can from anyone else.

Most people I knew back then would ride anything on a complete until they couldn't anymore. If I had used gear I was changing out I'd offer it to friends or random kids hanging around.

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #6320 on: March 24, 2023, 09:12:03 AM »
Any opinions on the Bones Original Formula 100's? Been loving my OJ Elite Hardline 99s for an all-around wheel, and all the Spitfire F4's I've been on have been pretty great. But right now I'm looking to try something else just for fun. Are they worth it? I skate mostly transitions, also quite a lot of ashphalt, although not looking for softer wheels at the mo', I like them hard.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:21:55 AM by rikki »

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #6321 on: March 24, 2023, 11:25:08 AM »
Any opinions on the Bones Original Formula 100's? Been loving my OJ Elite Hardline 99s for an all-around wheel, and all the Spitfire F4's I've been on have been pretty great. But right now I'm looking to try something else just for fun. Are they worth it? I skate mostly transitions, also quite a lot of ashphalt, although not looking for softer wheels at the mo', I like them hard.

You'll be downgrading by a whole lot.

They're supposed to be budget wheels for new skaters or those that need to save. It's a decent wheel on smooth surfaces, but very lack luster on rough surfaces (it can still roll, just not greatly). Flat spot durability isn't great either.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #6322 on: March 24, 2023, 02:30:52 PM »
I think it's just a classic urethane....better than a set of wheels made by a board company......

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #6323 on: March 26, 2023, 05:30:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'll be downgrading by a whole lot.

They're supposed to be budget wheels for new skaters or those that need to save. It's a decent wheel on smooth surfaces, but very lack luster on rough surfaces (it can still roll, just not greatly). Flat spot durability isn't great either.

Thanks! Sounds like they're not worth the try.

WideFeet

« Reply #6324 on: March 26, 2023, 05:45:54 PM »
If anyone from DLX looks at this page, I want a Conical Slim shape wheels. Please and thank you!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6325 on: March 26, 2023, 06:28:51 PM »
If anyone from DLX looks at this page, I want a Conical Slim shape wheels. Please and thank you!

I would say this is better answered in the Spitfire Formula Four thread, but what size would you like to have?  Both diameter and width?

The Conical 52 mm wheels are only 31 mm wide, which is pretty narrow, the 54mm barely over 32mm wide as well, so I am just wondering really what dimensions you would want?

You can use this as a reference for sizes, etc:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

You would most likely be one of the many people who would ride Radial Slims just going by the stock dimensions of those wheels, which really are almost the same shape and just a bit thinner than Conical wheels, certainly no more in weight or how they perform.

I have used an angle grinder on Conical wheels to thin out the profile before for other Slap pals, as well as doing that on older Conical Full wheels to give a more rounded lip as I prefer Classics that have worn down a bit, so it wouldn't be too hard to make something work from their existing range in a shape you prefer.

Just a thought anyway.

WideFeet

« Reply #6326 on: March 26, 2023, 08:15:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would say this is better answered in the Spitfire Formula Four thread, but what size would you like to have?  Both diameter and width?

The Conical 52 mm wheels are only 31 mm wide, which is pretty narrow, the 54mm barely over 32mm wide as well, so I am just wondering really what dimensions you would want?

You would most likely be one of the many people who would ride Radial Slims just going by the stock dimensions of those wheels, which really are almost the same shape and just a bit thinner than Conical wheels, certainly no more in weight or how they perform.

I have used an angle grinder on Conical wheels to thin out the profile before for other Slap pals, as well as doing that on older Conical Full wheels to give a more rounded lip as I prefer Classics that have worn down a bit, so it wouldn't be too hard to make something work from their existing range in a shape you prefer.

Just a thought anyway.

Thanks. I threw out the idea in the F4 Thread. I’m familiar with all the shapes.

What I really want is a Classic shape, that’s Conical. Basically, a Bones V5 shape. I like the lock in of a conical, but slimness of a classic shape. The riding surface of a Classic is perfect also.

I’ve skated Bones V5, and they were great, just didn’t slide the same as a F4.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6327 on: March 26, 2023, 08:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a thought anyway.
[close]

Thanks. I threw out the idea in the F4 Thread. I’m familiar with all the shapes.

What I really want is a Classic shape, that’s Conical. Basically, a Bones V5 shape. I like the lock in of a conical, but slimness of a classic shape. The riding surface of a Classic is perfect also.

Radial Slims are the truth, just a shame they stopped having them in the main product line, the ones still being sold are 101a only.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6328 on: March 26, 2023, 09:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a thought anyway.
[close]

[close]

Radial Slims are the truth, just a shame they stopped having them in the main product line, the ones still being sold are 101a only.

I'm still butthurt about this. FFS make some 99s...

WideFeet

« Reply #6329 on: March 26, 2023, 09:35:21 PM »
Next set of wheels I get are going to be Conicals. Seems to be the best I can get in F4’s for now.