Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790409 times)

Frank and Fred and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6360 on: April 13, 2023, 10:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Finally got a response from Loophole as well, they said they are being made by some guy John that’s friends with Tony Alva lol, made and printed in Southern Cali. So the acid chemical wheel co assumption is prolly correct
[close]

Acid does pour a good wheel too but its a very different feeling wheel than NFG
[close]

Never skated them, prolly not gonna like them but I’m gonna get a set to check out

They are a little harsher feeling, slightly plasticy.  Performance wise they work really well, right in that same range as NFG I would say. Plus they sound excellent if thats your thing.  Graphic quality is far superior to NFG if you care too.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6361 on: April 13, 2023, 10:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Finally got a response from Loophole as well, they said they are being made by some guy John that’s friends with Tony Alva lol, made and printed in Southern Cali. So the acid chemical wheel co assumption is prolly correct
[close]

Acid does pour a good wheel too but its a very different feeling wheel than NFG
[close]

Never skated them, prolly not gonna like them but I’m gonna get a set to check out
[close]

They are a little harsher feeling, slightly plasticy.  Performance wise they work really well, right in that same range as NFG I would say. Plus they sound excellent if thats your thing.  Graphic quality is far superior to NFG if you care too.

Siiick, skating a pair of the last set the wizard made right now, it’ll be interesting seeing how much different they are
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #6362 on: April 13, 2023, 11:41:46 AM »
Has anyone tried those new OJ Dual Durometer wheels?

I'm curious, but then again, this makes me think of the old school Darkstar dual durometers (that everyone rode backwards to show the cores) but then they sucked.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6363 on: April 13, 2023, 05:32:02 PM »

I'm curious, but then again, this makes me think of the old school Darkstar dual durometers (that everyone rode backwards to show the cores) but then they sucked.

I plan to get them as soon as I can when they release on the 20th

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6364 on: April 14, 2023, 07:04:03 AM »

Or autobahn that has been doing dual duros since their inception, they suck too
You want some queso?”

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #6365 on: April 14, 2023, 07:20:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve skated a lot of ricta, and they’ve been mostly good. I use to skate the 103b 53mm David speed rings. Loved that wheel.

I have the 92a ricta clouds on my cruiser. They’re good. I imagine the OJs are just making OJ clouds now.

I’m currently skating SNOT wheels and really enjoying them. I’m pretty sure they’re just purple and teal autobahns

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6366 on: April 14, 2023, 09:31:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’ve skated a lot of ricta, and they’ve been mostly good. I use to skate the 103b 53mm David speed rings. Loved that wheel.

I have the 92a ricta clouds on my cruiser. They’re good. I imagine the OJs are just making OJ clouds now.

I’m currently skating SNOT wheels and really enjoying them. I’m pretty sure they’re just purple and teal autobahns

If I was gonna skate dual duro, it would prolly be the from the NHS camp, I don’t know though, I just remember really fucking hating the autobahns I’ve skated, I’d prolly just stick with a normal wheel and get the Kenny Anderson wheel condom he is currently developing, if I wanted to be able to cruise over shit and still be able to slide the way I want
You want some queso?”

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6367 on: April 15, 2023, 11:54:20 AM »
what are some decent wheels with a ton of offset?
looking to make a setup with trucks smaller than the deck
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

luvs2spooge

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6368 on: April 15, 2023, 11:56:48 AM »

spitfire radial fulls (kader and new 97A's) in 56 and up cover 99% of the axle nut.
hemi sync

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #6369 on: April 15, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »

OJ mini combos have a bit of offset. I don't know any other skate wheels with an offset. Maybe some powell wheels.

But if you look into freestyle/cruiser brands, you'll find what you need for sure

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #6370 on: April 15, 2023, 01:52:43 PM »

Dogtown K9 80s wheels

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6371 on: April 15, 2023, 04:05:35 PM »

Spitfire Radial Fulls are the chunkiest street wheel I’ve seen, but they’re not offset. They’re just really wide and cover most of the axle width.

The 60mm Dragons in the new Rat Bones shape are heavily offset, so you don’t lose any grind space on the hanger, and the wheels extend beyond the axle end about 3/16 in.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6372 on: April 15, 2023, 11:19:07 PM »

The absolute most offset wheel is the Powell Mini Cubic - got them on 139s / 8" trucks with those wheels fitting a 10" board easily enough, or 129s fit an 8.75 or so - 64mm x 64mm in 95 duro so they go over everything, first made famous in the 70s era style of skateboarding, I think.

Others like the Santa Cruz Slimeballs would be up there, along with OJ Elite versions, 60 or 61mm sizes, 95 and 97 duros as they are very wide too and offset about a cm to the outside edge.

Then Powell Rat Bones 60mm 90 duro, with Dogtown and similar wheels coming in after that, unless they are different to the ones I saw.

There was another brand, Road Crew that did a Scram Skates wheel that was very big, very offset and people were talking about it for a while, but I didn't see any still in stock anywhere, but they are another one up in the second or almost first category.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6373 on: April 16, 2023, 09:56:23 AM »

Mike Arnold's Sml. wheels are extra wide but not offset. He loves them and swears by them. 56mm 99A.

(3rd slide shows the width)

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #6374 on: April 16, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mike Arnold's Sml. wheels are extra wide but not offset. He loves them and swears by them. 56mm 99A.

@cliff what does AG formula mean vs. the old formula?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #6375 on: April 16, 2023, 10:23:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. And does one of them work well on slippery wood ramps?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6376 on: April 16, 2023, 11:53:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

56s on the 44s with no risers, sick
Wheels look nice.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6377 on: April 16, 2023, 06:32:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers
[close]

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

[close]

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!

From what I've read:

AG - Similar to Spitfire OG formula, like a 99a
OG - Similar to Darkstar Master Urethane formula, like a 101a
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #6378 on: April 17, 2023, 09:31:36 AM »
gracias rocklobster.

I have been really tempted to skate something other than f4s lately.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #6379 on: April 17, 2023, 09:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers
[close]

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

[close]

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!
[close]

From what I've read:

AG - Similar to Spitfire OG formula, like a 99a
OG - Similar to Darkstar Master Urethane formula, like a 101a

This is spot on. Appreciate the love everyone!

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #6380 on: April 17, 2023, 08:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The absolute most offset wheel is the Powell Mini Cubic - got them on 139s / 8" trucks with those wheels fitting a 10" board easily enough, or 129s fit an 8.75 or so - 64mm x 64mm in 95 duro so they go over everything, first made famous in the 70s era style of skateboarding, I think.

Others like the Santa Cruz Slimeballs would be up there, along with OJ Elite versions, 60 or 61mm sizes, 95 and 97 duros as they are very wide too and offset about a cm to the outside edge.

Then Powell Rat Bones 60mm 90 duro, with Dogtown and similar wheels coming in after that, unless they are different to the ones I saw.

There was another brand, Road Crew that did a Scram Skates wheel that was very big, very offset and people were talking about it for a while, but I didn't see any still in stock anywhere, but they are another one up in the second or almost first category.

+1

fakienoseslide

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6381 on: April 18, 2023, 06:41:07 AM »
Bought a new set of wheels from my local shop the other day and today when I was about to set them up I noticed this little defect on one of the wheels.

Is that air trapped in the urethane or something else? I have a chance to stop by the shop next weekend, but asking for slaps opinion because I would not want to return these if I dont have to. The Wheels are Spitfire Formula 4 Conical 101D.

Cheers!

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6382 on: April 18, 2023, 06:45:32 AM »
Bought a new set of wheels from my local shop the other day and today when I was about to set them up I noticed this little defect on one of the wheels.

Is that air trapped in the urethane or something else? I have a chance to stop by the shop next weekend, but asking for slaps opinion because I would not want to return these if I dont have to. The Wheels are Spitfire Formula 4 Conical 101D.

Cheers!

Doesn’t look like it would affect the rideability, I’d go ahead and set them up and give ‘em a whirl, if it’s an issue then deal with it
You want some queso?”

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #6383 on: April 18, 2023, 11:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dogtown K9 80s wheels
Speedlab makes a few, too. Copies of 80’s freestyle/street wheels.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6384 on: April 18, 2023, 11:33:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Spitfire Radial Fulls are the chunkiest street wheel I’ve seen, but they’re not offset. They’re just really wide and cover most of the axle width.

The 60mm Dragons in the new Rat Bones shape are heavily offset, so you don’t lose any grind space on the hanger, and the wheels extend beyond the axle end about 3/16 in.

I was going to say this same suggestion, I really dig my Rat Bones Dragons

Expand Quote
[close]

Love my mini cubics. I have personally experienced that they add a little under an inch and a half to your truck width. For example with the mini cubics on 5.0 trucks (7.625" width), they would fit nicely under a 9" deck (That's the setup that I personally ran with them)

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6385 on: April 18, 2023, 11:37:44 AM »

Cheers!

That's probably nothing to worry about. It looks to be that it's only a cosmetic defect. Skate them first before you email deluxe, and I would only email them if the wear from use appears uneven around that spot.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6386 on: April 18, 2023, 12:47:30 PM »

Cheers!

There’s a swirl like this somewhere on almost every set of F4s I have. My guess is it’s just a little separation in the urethane mix, like maybe the natural color of the urethane is translucent, and whatever they add to make it opaque doesn’t always get perfectly mixed in every nook and cranny of the bucket or tank. If they’re putting many wheels into the market like that, I’ve got to assume there’s no functional issue. I haven’t noticed it affecting anything.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #6387 on: April 18, 2023, 01:17:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If I was gonna skate dual duro, it would prolly be the from the NHS camp, I don’t know though, I just remember really fucking hating the autobahns I’ve skated, I’d prolly just stick with a normal wheel and get the Kenny Anderson wheel condom he is currently developing, if I wanted to be able to cruise over shit and still be able to slide the way I want
Humidity has these up in their webstore now. $57 retail  :o
https://www.humiditynola.com/product-page/oj-prototype-double-durometer-wheels

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6388 on: April 18, 2023, 02:34:17 PM »
$57 kinda steep for wheels when the current industry leader is $38-40

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal