Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790212 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6420 on: April 27, 2023, 01:15:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried those new OJ Dual Durometer wheels?

I'm curious, but then again, this makes me think of the old school Darkstar dual durometers (that everyone rode backwards to show the cores) but then they sucked.
[close]

Or autobahn that has been doing dual duros since their inception, they suck too
[close]

I’ve skated a lot of ricta, and they’ve been mostly good. I use to skate the 103b 53mm David speed rings. Loved that wheel.

I have the 92a ricta clouds on my cruiser. They’re good. I imagine the OJs are just making OJ clouds now.

I’m currently skating SNOT wheels and really enjoying them. I’m pretty sure they’re just purple and teal autobahns
[close]

If I was gonna skate dual duro, it would prolly be the from the NHS camp, I don’t know though, I just remember really fucking hating the autobahns I’ve skated, I’d prolly just stick with a normal wheel and get the Kenny Anderson wheel condom he is currently developing, if I wanted to be able to cruise over shit and still be able to slide the way I want
[close]
Humidity has these up in their webstore now. $57 retail  :o
https://www.humiditynola.com/product-page/oj-prototype-double-durometer-wheels
[close]

Humidity has some of the best product descriptions.
[close]

OJ "Let me copy your homework"
Ricta "Okay, just change it so it doesn't look like you just copied it"
OJ

[close]

Except Ricta aren't dual duro, just cored.

how is that not the same thing?
-Not sarcasm.

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #6421 on: April 27, 2023, 01:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
madness guy on the dual duro OJ's

no noseslides in sight
seem like a better in between than what they have currently like if you ride hot juice they will not last for slappys worth shit... these probably last longer but honestly i dont really see whats better with this than their like 95a or whatever they already offer. maybe its a bit more cruisery?
[close]
The outer duro is 101, 95 inner, so they will slide the same as the other oj 101s. I was curious for a second but not for $57.
[close]

Then how soft is OJs 95? Would these feel anything like a cruiser wheel? I haven't ridden their Nomads which are a 95, right?

They don’t feel like cruiser wheels. They feel similar to 99a but with more grip and smoother on crust

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #6422 on: April 27, 2023, 01:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm curious, but then again, this makes me think of the old school Darkstar dual durometers (that everyone rode backwards to show the cores) but then they sucked.
[close]

[close]

I’ve skated a lot of ricta, and they’ve been mostly good. I use to skate the 103b 53mm David speed rings. Loved that wheel.

I have the 92a ricta clouds on my cruiser. They’re good. I imagine the OJs are just making OJ clouds now.

I’m currently skating SNOT wheels and really enjoying them. I’m pretty sure they’re just purple and teal autobahns
[close]

If I was gonna skate dual duro, it would prolly be the from the NHS camp, I don’t know though, I just remember really fucking hating the autobahns I’ve skated, I’d prolly just stick with a normal wheel and get the Kenny Anderson wheel condom he is currently developing, if I wanted to be able to cruise over shit and still be able to slide the way I want
[close]
[close]

[close]

OJ

[close]

[close]

-Not sarcasm.
It's quite the opposite. Ricta cored: hard inner that keeps the bearings aligned.
Oj dual duro: soft inner that supposedly absorbs impact.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6423 on: April 27, 2023, 02:09:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

OJ

[close]

[close]

-Not sarcasm.
[close]
It's quite the opposite. Ricta cored: hard inner that keeps the bearings aligned.

Old Ricta Chrome cores or Powerflex gumballs had the hard inner, which is really just a stiff ass bearing seat. Ricta Speed Rings are even more odd as they have the same durro inner-speed-ring-same duro outer, so essentially just a stiffer bearing seat that is supposedly better at less impact deformation.

Then there's Autobahn AB-X, which would be the closest to the OJs, the Torus had an 83b (outer) /97a (inner Core) - I can't recall what the Autobahn Ultras were, but I think they were the opposite, i.e., hard inner -83b- for stiff bearing seat, with either a 100 or 97a outer (either way they didn't slide for shit).

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6424 on: April 27, 2023, 06:50:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

no noseslides in sight
seem like a better in between than what they have currently like if you ride hot juice they will not last for slappys worth shit... these probably last longer but honestly i dont really see whats better with this than their like 95a or whatever they already offer. maybe its a bit more cruisery?
[close]
The outer duro is 101, 95 inner, so they will slide the same as the other oj 101s. I was curious for a second but not for $57.
[close]

Then how soft is OJs 95? Would these feel anything like a cruiser wheel? I haven't ridden their Nomads which are a 95, right?
[close]

They don’t feel like cruiser wheels. They feel similar to 99a but with more grip and smoother on crust

I think I posted this before, but it is easy enough to do again.

As far as overall hardness goes, I usually follow these general rules from wheels I commonly have / had:

78-87A - very soft cruiser wheels
90-92A - soft wheels, but can still bark a bit to slide
95-97A - not quite so hard wheels, but will slide and feel more like hard wheels
99-101A - hard wheels / normal feeling wheels

81-84B - very hard wheels, a bit more so than 101A

A Scale goes to 100, B scale is 20 points lower for the same hardness, eg 100A = 80B

You can also put in there Powell Dragons at 93A being a different feel but still between the 90-92 and the 95-97, but still softer wheels, or some other variations on what might usually fit in between this and that, but have different urethane properties to most other wheels on the market.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6425 on: April 27, 2023, 08:58:24 PM »
Ok, thanks for the great responses. I'm curious to try the double duros or the dragons. I would love a wheel that feels smooth riding and doesn't make my feet numb when riding rugged ground but still has a decent slide.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6426 on: April 27, 2023, 10:17:03 PM »
Ok, thanks for the great responses. I'm curious to try the double duros or the dragons. I would love a wheel that feels smooth riding and doesn't make my feet numb when riding rugged ground but still has a decent slide.

If you still want to throw out tricks, powerslide, or do tricks that slide (blunts, etc.) go with the Bones X97s over the dragons imo. If you are more a cruiser type skating from point A to B as transpo, go with dragons hands down

I'd give the OJs a shot if they were in the hardline shape, but it feels like they're targetting the re-issue crowd here by going with the mini combo shape (same for dragons at 93a and bigger wheels, tho now in V1).

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6427 on: April 27, 2023, 10:29:19 PM »
I don't really get the OJ mini combo shape. I prefer a symmetrical wheel.

pops

« Reply #6428 on: April 28, 2023, 05:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you still want to throw out tricks, powerslide, or do tricks that slide (blunts, etc.) go with the Bones X97s over the dragons imo. If you are more a cruiser type skating from point A to B as transpo, go with dragons hands down

I'd give the OJs a shot if they were in the hardline shape, but it feels like they're targetting the re-issue crowd here by going with the mini combo shape (same for dragons at 93a and bigger wheels, tho now in V1).

Ok. Then would you recommend Bones 97 over Spitfire 97? I see some Spits on sale atm. I'm more of a cruiser type skater nowadays, just occasionally throw some tricks.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6429 on: April 28, 2023, 06:57:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

OJ

[close]

[close]

-Not sarcasm.
[close]
[close]

Old Ricta Chrome cores or Powerflex gumballs had the hard inner, which is really just a stiff ass bearing seat. Ricta Speed Rings are even more odd as they have the same durro inner-speed-ring-same duro outer, so essentially just a stiffer bearing seat that is supposedly better at less impact deformation.

Then there's Autobahn AB-X, which would be the closest to the OJs, the Torus had an 83b (outer) /97a (inner Core) - I can't recall what the Autobahn Ultras were, but I think they were the opposite, i.e., hard inner -83b- for stiff bearing seat, with either a 100 or 97a outer (either way they didn't slide for shit).

So basically just get some fucking normal wheels, all that other shit is  for the birds
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6430 on: April 28, 2023, 02:33:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ok. Then would you recommend Bones 97 over Spitfire 97? I see some Spits on sale atm. I'm more of a cruiser type skater nowadays, just occasionally throw some tricks.

As someone who has spent a lot of time on both, get the x97's over the F497 if you're mostly cruising. They absorb crust+impact better and slide better on rough ground. The F497 feel more like a traditional hard street wheel with a little extra grip.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6431 on: April 28, 2023, 06:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd give the OJs a shot if they were in the hardline shape, but it feels like they're targeting the re-issue crowd here by going with the mini combo shape (same for dragons at 93a and bigger wheels, tho now in V1).
[close]

@pops
Personally I'd pick x97s over the Spit 97s as they handle crust, and slide, better...97a spit are great but they feel just a bit sluggish to me on slides (especially blunt). If you are just cruising and occasionally tossing out tricks as you say AND money is a concern AND the spits are on sale, get spits.

Knowing how they both feel, just for cruising I'd still get the x97s. Speed checks, powerslides to regulate or for fun, x97s do it better...besides if they ain't F4s, this forum shits on it.

I skated the spit 97a for less than a day due to how they felt (hated them tbh). Still skating the x97s.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 06:42:01 PM by Xen »

roll_dog

« Reply #6432 on: April 28, 2023, 07:17:20 PM »

I think the theory is that you can get the lock in of a conical and a rounded edge for easier scoop tricks or slappys

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6433 on: April 28, 2023, 10:49:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the theory is that you can get the lock in of a conical and a rounded edge for easier scoop tricks or slappys

Yeah, fair enough. The problem is that there's no option of putting the graphics on the inside if you want to use them as intended. :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6434 on: April 28, 2023, 11:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, fair enough. The problem is that there's no option of putting the graphics on the inside if you want to use them as intended. :)

Yeah they are like a multi tool, but the shape was first done in the 80s on bigger combo 60 mm wheels and scaled down a bit more for the mini combo wheels for the 90s and on.

I seem to recall one old blown out pro trying to explain them, doing a pretty average job as he was so high at the time, but essentially it was as per the marketing blurb below, the minimally rounded inside for getting on coping or lips of curbs and locking on, with the outside cutaway to shave weight and also for getting on and off things more easily, eg rolling up to big coping like on pools, vert ramps or curbs needed a bit more open rounded part near the edge of the wheel, or something like that.

Some people do ride them facing inwards and there is nothing to say you can't but I always think because they are offset a bit towards the outside, they ride better that way, unless you have trucks that are too wide for the board or something like that.

As much as they might not look too different, the inside is a lot more squared off than the outside of the wheel when you see them in person, especially the larger sizes, more so than the smaller sizes.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/oj-wheels-jason-adams-slappy-hour-skateboard-wheels-58mm-p20365

They used to come with graphics on both sides for some variants, as some of the riders did ride them one way for some things and the other way for other things.

Now it seems like they a a bit more minimal on graphics though.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 11:26:23 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

« Reply #6435 on: April 28, 2023, 11:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd give the OJs a shot if they were in the hardline shape, but it feels like they're targeting the re-issue crowd here by going with the mini combo shape (same for dragons at 93a and bigger wheels, tho now in V1).
[close]

[close]

@pops
Personally I'd pick x97s over the Spit 97s as they handle crust, and slide, better...97a spit are great but they feel just a bit sluggish to me on slides (especially blunt). If you are just cruising and occasionally tossing out tricks as you say AND money is a concern AND the spits are on sale, get spits.

Knowing how they both feel, just for cruising I'd still get the x97s. Speed checks, powerslides to regulate or for fun, x97s do it better...besides if they ain't F4s, this forum shits on it.

I skated the spit 97a for less than a day due to how they felt (hated them tbh). Still skating the x97s.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

As someone who has spent a lot of time on both, get the x97's over the F497 if you're mostly cruising. They absorb crust+impact better and slide better on rough ground. The F497 feel more like a traditional hard street wheel with a little extra grip.

Thanks to both of you. Great answers. I might check out the Bones X then.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #6436 on: April 29, 2023, 06:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

OJ

[close]

[close]

-Not sarcasm.
[close]
[close]

[close]

So basically just get some fucking normal wheels, all that other shit is  for the birds

Naw, the snot clear core look super cool, and the cooler your skateboard is, the better you skate

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6437 on: April 29, 2023, 12:41:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

OJ

[close]

[close]

-Not sarcasm.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Naw, the snot clear core look super cool, and the cooler your skateboard is, the better you skate

Jackismydogsname

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #6438 on: April 29, 2023, 10:04:09 PM »
Dragons get slippery when wet!

I couldn't find a post all in one place so here's an personal overview of a few current Skate One wheels, I went wild after moving to rougher ground Northern Az vs growing up skating in Phoenix for 25 years on 101a/103a's and setting up 2 completes for my girlfriend to try out.

90a Mini logo 58mm-  Soft, almost bouncey ball like. The pop is gooey and can slide but really grabs. Kick turns feel unnatural as I like to kinda break free and that doesn't feel right. This wheel is more of a nimble cruiser and is comfortable rolling snow plowed roads with some vibrations. As mentioned by a few other pals, do Not get the small c cut version, they are too mushy. More of an 85a though Not longboard or Super Juice style carefree cruiser.

93a Dragon 56mm- These pop and slide much better than a "soft wheel" but smith and crooked grinds bite and catch yet oddly I've slipped out turning on rough roads like a 101s would. The sound is the hardest part to get use to and be aware that they will power slide before making sound! Just as advertised and talked about, I did have bearing seating issue but seems to have passed. They are much faster but not as comfortable as the 90a for a mile down the rocky street.

Mini logo 95a 54mm 2- These where a wonderful surprise, they feel similar to the good 95-97a wheels of the 90's. Things like brick feel good yet can pivot out of tricks. My muscle memory isn't use to pushing slide tricks hard but I'm sure others could who are use to it. Not for pumping high speed transition as they feel gummy compared to a SPF but makes abandoned parking lots fun.

Bones x97 56mm- Both bark and bite, could be perfect for some east coast people but for mountain town grounds, they are much less forgiving than Dragons still not as fast and sharp as STF or F4 99 on concrete. These are not for me currently, too hybrid?

Mini Logo 101a 56mm- a step out of the comfort range for rough roads but the size and shape help. These feel a bit softer then 101a F4s, "older" slower feeling like the OG Spitfire but still a good wheel.

A lot of this is repeated from other pal reports but wanted to give a single side by side point of view as I had them all set-up at once for anyone considering.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 10:56:41 PM by Jackismydogsname »

pops

« Reply #6439 on: April 30, 2023, 01:41:28 AM »
Anyone skated the Mini Logo 80a AWOLs and are they worth it? I'm looking for an alternative for my current mini juices. Do they chunk out over time like the OJs?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #6440 on: April 30, 2023, 09:03:41 AM »
Re: double duro….I remember jaws trying some proto impact wheels for bones….I think soft inside hard outside….

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6441 on: May 01, 2023, 08:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

no noseslides in sight
[close]
[close]

95 is pretty good for absorbing / smoothness. it feels a bit slow and you cant noseslide unless you put a ton of wax. so this in theory should be pretty slidey now... but i bet you will lose all the smoothness...

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #6442 on: May 07, 2023, 03:20:27 PM »
I skate a super smooth skate park mostly, but sometimes I skate rough street spots.

Are the dragons good for extreme smooth parks too?
How do they slide compared to f4‘s?

Should I stick to f4s and really only use dragons for when I skate street?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #6443 on: May 07, 2023, 03:34:58 PM »
I skate a super smooth skate park mostly, but sometimes I skate rough street spots.

Yes to the last sentence
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6444 on: May 09, 2023, 08:32:25 AM »
seems like a lot of people are over the hype of dragons now and just going back to F4s...

i think a lot of people's definintion of "bad ground" varies quite a bit. I feel like I don't actually gain any significant advantage of skating spots i couldnt normally skate with Dragons vs. F4s. I feel like you need a true cruiser wheel like a Ricta Cloud 87a etc. to feel like you are really unlocking a new spot. I do a lot of manuals down hills on sidewalks with huge cracks and those are the wheels I need to use for those stunts. i skate some ground that is so beat up the rocks are sticking out of the asphalt... where it feels like you are pushing through a cheese grater. i gotta do more experimenting but seems like Dragons dont really cut it.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #6445 on: May 09, 2023, 02:53:23 PM »
Anyone have a new info on the Spitfires? An answer to Bones Dragons/ OJ dual duro?

Something is being cooked up right (beyond 80HDs)?

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6446 on: May 09, 2023, 07:21:05 PM »
https://dogtownskateboards.com/collections/wheels/products/k-9-80s-wheels-60mm-x-92a-white?variant=43346481316077

I’ve skated these dogtowns for a week and these are seriously the best wheels ever, highly recommend them. 92a seems too soft, I know what you’re thinking, but these actually screech plenty loud and are not mushy whatsoever. They do seem harder than 92a, honestly. No slipouts whatsoever yet they break into a slide easily when you want them to. I’ve also been having an issue with bearing slippage in all kinds of wheels lately and FINALLY it stopped with these so that’s another reason why I like them. If you don’t want big 60mm, they offer the same duro in a classic round shape in smaller sizes. 

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6447 on: May 09, 2023, 07:53:10 PM »
https://dogtownskateboards.com/collections/wheels/products/k-9-80s-wheels-60mm-x-92a-white?variant=43346481316077

I’ve skated these dogtowns for a week and these are seriously the best wheels ever, highly recommend them. 92a seems too soft, I know what you’re thinking, but these actually screech plenty loud and are not mushy whatsoever. They do seem harder than 92a, honestly. No slipouts whatsoever yet they break into a slide easily when you want them to. I’ve also been having an issue with bearing slippage in all kinds of wheels lately and FINALLY it stopped with these so that’s another reason why I like them. If you don’t want big 60mm, they offer the same duro in a classic round shape in smaller sizes.

interesting, anyone know who's pouring them?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6448 on: May 09, 2023, 08:08:19 PM »
Question for you Bones SPF people

When you say they’re the fastest wheels at super smooth skateparks, what kind of “smooth” is the skatepark. I skated a newish park in Anaheim(manzanita) earlier that seemed to be made with super smooth, but also soft feeling concrete. It felt like I had to pump extra hard there. Wondering if that’s the kind of park that those Bones excel in. Either way it’s not gonna make me swap from f4’s-just curious
fuck you bama

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #6449 on: May 10, 2023, 01:13:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes to the last sentence

Why? Cause f4s slide better?