Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778669 times)

roba, Still_Sorry and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6480 on: May 18, 2023, 03:49:50 PM »
There’s one Boss…but yeah that blast…far as we know he’s still on spit…

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6481 on: May 18, 2023, 03:55:01 PM »
There’s one Boss…but yeah that blast…far as we know he’s still on spit…

And Koston was still on Indy...

Nah jokes aside, going back over Boss clips and the funny thing is they do look a lot like Bones wheels in a lot of those clips so who knows?!?

Either way, I know the Spitfire > Bones or Bones > Spitfire conversation could go on a whole lot longer than it needs, but they are both top wheels.

I just prefer Spitfire and that's fine with me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #6482 on: May 18, 2023, 04:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jaws been riding them dragons/x97s for 10yrs....dayum

https://www.skateboarding.com/trending-news/aaron-jaws-homoki-has-been-doing-those-huge-ollies?fbclid=IwAR3-jNuJThgGAq56WidXCJC4thb7MnMUtMKrDRrCDUPJTQ7HJnnTgZyWRIY

Also, another official ’coming soon’ from bones about the x99a in the insta thread
[close]
PP marketing is garbage these days, catering only to old heads....the new blood team...well we all know that roster to some extent but they're just not heavy hitters like bigger teams with bigger pros (I think Alves is underrated)....They've got Dan and Andy right....RIGHT?
[close]

Expand Quote

agreeing with this & from my perspective spitfire's marketing feels like they are selling you a tool/part vs PP's feels like they are selling you a lifestyle, which is fine but not my thing
[close]
[close]

[close]

Imagine having Dan Corg as a 'face' of your company via social media....compare that to say Asta and SC....
savage mental exercise

in wheel news, it looks like loophole has their wheels up on their site for ordering, profile pic of shapes as well
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 05:18:50 PM by iw0 »

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #6483 on: May 18, 2023, 05:03:33 PM »
who the fuck even likes paul hart?

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6484 on: May 18, 2023, 05:21:56 PM »
who the fuck even likes paul hart?

No one. Or no one that’s respectable.

rikki

• Rep: 238
« Reply #6485 on: May 19, 2023, 09:13:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jaws been riding them dragons/x97s for 10yrs....dayum

https://www.skateboarding.com/trending-news/aaron-jaws-homoki-has-been-doing-those-huge-ollies?fbclid=IwAR3-jNuJThgGAq56WidXCJC4thb7MnMUtMKrDRrCDUPJTQ7HJnnTgZyWRIY

Also, another official ’coming soon’ from bones about the x99a in the insta thread
[close]
PP marketing is garbage these days, catering only to old heads....the new blood team...well we all know that roster to some extent but they're just not heavy hitters like bigger teams with bigger pros (I think Alves is underrated)....They've got Dan and Andy right....RIGHT?
[close]

agreeing with this & from my perspective spitfire's marketing feels like they are selling you a tool/part vs PP's feels like they are selling you a lifestyle, which is fine but not my thing
[close]

Well put.

rikki

« Reply #6486 on: May 19, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
Hey, how are them Spitfire 80HD wheels? Compared to e.g. Super Juices or similar? Been meaning to set up my old 9" pool shape as a cruiser and frankly I have no idea where to begin with wheels. The streets here are mainly crusty asphalt.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #6487 on: May 19, 2023, 09:26:08 AM »
80Hds are a soft wheel that are shaped and feel a bit more like regular street wheel. They had some issues but apparently the new versions are good. I personally really like the way they look and feel. You can skate them a bit more like a regular wheel. OJs are rad cruiser wheels and will probably roll over really terrible ground better but are less conducive to doing other stuff. Just my humble opinion.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6488 on: May 19, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
Hey, how are them Spitfire 80HD wheels? Compared to e.g. Super Juices or similar? Been meaning to set up my old 9" pool shape as a cruiser and frankly I have no idea where to begin with wheels. The streets here are mainly crusty asphalt.

I don't think the 80HDs will slide at all but I have not ever ridden them so I cant confirm. I ride the Super Juice minis atm and they are fast af and roll over anything but have zero slide. They also feel hefty because they're so wide but I got used to it fast and can pop some flips too. I believe the Spits will be much easier for flips.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #6489 on: May 19, 2023, 04:16:38 PM »
Short story regarding SkateOne’s amazing customer service:

I emailed them about my 60mm dragons that have insane bearing slippage and they got back to me immediately, requested a video and after some quick back and forth they sent me a new set all the way from cali that got here in two days. They were definitely different than the original set. No tread this time, more natural colored and felt bouncier and softer. Fucking amazing wheels man, in that size and OG Rat Bones shape they blast through even the roughest pavement. Unfortunately the slippage is still happening but not as bad as the first set. If they had plastic cores they would be unbeatable. The amount of speed they keep for being so soft is crazy.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6490 on: May 19, 2023, 04:57:04 PM »

I emailed them about my 60mm dragons that have insane bearing slippage and they got back to me immediately, requested a video and after some quick back and forth they sent me a new set all the way from cali that got here in two days. They were definitely different than the original set. No tread this time, more natural colored and felt bouncier and softer. Fucking amazing wheels man, in that size and OG Rat Bones shape they blast through even the roughest pavement. Unfortunately the slippage is still happening but not as bad as the first set. If they had plastic cores they would be unbeatable. The amount of speed they keep for being so soft is crazy.
Have you tried degreasing the outside of your bearings and the bearing seat? That might be the real problem

Phao Lo

• Rep: 53
« Reply #6491 on: May 19, 2023, 05:57:13 PM »

I had the same issue with both 52mm Dragons and 55mm V5 X-Formula 97a -- the inner bearings on my toe-side wheels would slip causing the wheel to seize up.  I gave up and went back to Spitfire 97a. Never had this issue with any other wheels I've skated.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #6492 on: May 19, 2023, 07:06:40 PM »
To be fair this issue has happened with a few different wheels in softer durometers of different companies but by far the bones dragons were insanely bad. Almost completely coming out of the wheel just from powersliding real quick or fs slashing coping. Slappies were a nightmare. And yeah, I tried every solution imaginable. Seems like plastic cores or harder wheels are the only solution. But both aren’t as desirable for me these days.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #6493 on: May 19, 2023, 07:23:34 PM »
I need to find someone with a lathe.
I have 2 prototype sets of the dragons in 90a and 93a with cores, but the wheels are a bit too wide. If I could shave them off a bit they’d be perfect for some of the streets and older parks here in Japan
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6494 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:01 PM »
I need to find someone with a lathe.
I have 2 prototype sets of the dragons in 90a and 93a with cores, but the wheels are a bit too wide. If I could shave them off a bit they’d be perfect for some of the streets and older parks here in Japan

An angle grinder has less quality control but is way easier to use and more readily available.

Not for everyone, I would be the first to admit, but a little practice on other wheels or even just taking it slow and not going too hard and it usually works well, especially more for sidewall shaping, rather than anything else.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #6495 on: May 19, 2023, 08:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Have you tried degreasing the outside of your bearings and the bearing seat? That might be the real problem

I don’t have an issue with my dragons. I have an idea for you :

What if you you installed race reds bearings? There would be no play on the axel so bearing pop would not occur.

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-race-reds-reg-skateboard-bearings-8-pack
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 04:02:46 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #6496 on: May 19, 2023, 09:19:09 PM »
80Hds are a soft wheel that are shaped and feel a bit more like regular street wheel. They had some issues but apparently the new versions are good. I personally really like the way they look and feel. You can skate them a bit more like a regular wheel. OJs are rad cruiser wheels and will probably roll over really terrible ground better but are less conducive to doing other stuff. Just my humble opinion.

I’m going to agree on this.
I will add they do slide(you’re going to need to have some speed and push harder into them), they will wear down fairly quick though (probably 2/3 months) so go for at least a 56. The suck on nose and tail slides though unless you’re skating something that’s waxed to hell. They’re definitely more trick friendly than the mini or reg super juices since they’re shaped more like a regular wheels.

rikki

« Reply #6497 on: May 20, 2023, 02:55:36 AM »
Thanks for the input on the 80HD's, sounds like they might be the soft ones for me. Looking for something that is not too bulky and not completely surf skate style, but rather a soft wheel for cruising around and popping some ollies.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6498 on: May 20, 2023, 10:30:18 AM »
There are also rumors of Spitfire coming up with a new formula that may or may not be along the Bones Dragon line... Details are sparse... Someone on this message boards knows but they ain't sharing...

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6499 on: May 20, 2023, 10:42:46 AM »
There are also rumors of Spitfire coming up with a new formula that may or may not be along the Bones Dragon line... Details are sparse... Someone on this message boards knows but they ain't sharing...

They teased a 95a wheel in an instagram story some time ago if I remember correctly

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6500 on: May 20, 2023, 10:43:33 AM »
I think its more than just a 95a F4. I could be wrong.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6501 on: May 20, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »
I think its more than just a 95a F4. I could be wrong.
Hopefully, a 95a F4 would barely slide. It is/was a cool trend but I'm over soft/hybrid wheels already. Bones 97a won the game, but I'm still back on F4 99a.

*I would totally ride bones 97a forever if 70% of what I'm doing wasn't pinchy grinds on terribly sticky ledges

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6502 on: May 20, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »
Does anyone know what the difference between a bones xformula 99a and 99a stf will be?  I took it to the comments on the gram like a man but bones never replied. And I don’t skate bones enough to know the nuances of the x formula and like how that may be as a 99 and how the regular 99 stf are

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6503 on: May 20, 2023, 02:05:02 PM »
Does anyone know what the difference between a bones xformula 99a and 99a stf will be?  I took it to the comments on the gram like a man but bones never replied. And I don’t skate bones enough to know the nuances of the x formula and like how that may be as a 99 and how the regular 99 stf are

The Dragon/X formula is a hybrid that floats over rough ground without losing speed like typical 99+ duro wheels do, and it also powerslides more like a hard wheel. I’m sure the hope is that these will have a better slide on ledges and coping, which seems to be the biggest weakness in the Dragons and X97s.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6504 on: May 20, 2023, 03:16:37 PM »
X formula in 99a would probably be super slidey. Stf 99a are kinda grippy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6505 on: May 20, 2023, 09:15:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Dragon/X formula is a hybrid that floats over rough ground without losing speed like typical 99+ duro wheels do, and it also powerslides more like a hard wheel. I’m sure the hope is that these will have a better slide on ledges and coping, which seems to be the biggest weakness in the Dragons and X97s.

I can't see it fixing it 100% but having skating them both, logic would dictate that: 93a<97a<99a in terms of how the slide improves as the duro gets harder...still the nature of the thane is just different and I don't think you could have have both the vibration reduction they provide and the slide of a say, a 99a spit...the xthane is just gummy by nature.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6506 on: May 20, 2023, 09:58:46 PM »
Isn’t the noise and the feel of the compound considerably different? 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6507 on: May 21, 2023, 04:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They teased a 95a wheel in an instagram story some time ago if I remember correctly

Someone took a screen shot of an Andrew Reynolds story that had the 95 duro wheels to test, maybe posted here or on the Formula Four thread, but I don't think anyone had anything else to add after that was posted, re more info, details, specs or whatever.

Found it here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3844610#msg3844610

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here's another annoying paid for promotional dragons vids

[close]

Can't trust them.  Graphics are out.
[close]
"They literally sound like walmart wheels!" in an enthusiastic tone. I'll just skate harder wheels and let my bones rattle to dust.

Sidenote: I saw this reynolds story a few weeks ago and just thought of it now. I wonder if Spitfire is brewing a response.
Untitled by

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6508 on: May 21, 2023, 12:04:19 PM »
Isn’t the noise and the feel of the compound considerably different? 

Drastically different than 99/101 spits / 103a stfs....the x97a feel, sound and skate better than 99a stfs tho.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #6509 on: May 23, 2023, 02:04:01 AM »
suppose youre cruising around nyc all day
do you get the mini super juice?
or is sliding more important than lower duro?

dragons, x97 formula, or 97a f4
cant decide but i hope the answer isnt dragons

edit: keyframes?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 03:24:14 AM by munchbox »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo