Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777901 times)

mrselfdestruct and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6510 on: May 23, 2023, 05:54:52 AM »
suppose youre cruising around nyc all day
do you get the mini super juice?
or is sliding more important than lower duro?

dragons, x97 formula, or 97a f4
cant decide but i hope the answer isnt dragons

edit: keyframes?

don't have a definitive answer but i do know that the 97a f4s are not the move in this case

IpathCats

« Reply #6511 on: May 23, 2023, 06:29:24 AM »

Depends on your use case.

If you just wanna ride and you're not worried about tricks get the 60mm super juice.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6512 on: May 23, 2023, 07:06:14 AM »
I think Ricta Clouds are slightly more practical while also being an amazing cruiser wheel. All my big sidewalk hill bomb mannys are done on those. Juice are probably smoother though but i heard they chip on noseslides and stuff. they dont seem at all practical for tricks over a long period of time. you might get access to a bit more terrain on juices though but the clouds are damn good. cracks arent shit.
ONTARIO CANADA

IpathCats

« Reply #6513 on: May 23, 2023, 07:09:50 AM »
I think Ricta Clouds are slightly more practical while also being an amazing cruiser wheel. All my big sidewalk hill bomb mannys are done on those. Juice are probably smoother though but i heard they chip on noseslides and stuff. they dont seem at all practical for tricks over a long period of time. you might get access to a bit more terrain on juices though but the clouds are damn good. cracks arent shit.

I havent had and issue with my super juice's cracking, but i dont really do tricks on them.

My oj III's cracked like a MF

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6514 on: May 23, 2023, 07:58:35 AM »

If you’re just cruising A-to-B, Super Juice are great, but you can definitely shred and chunk them if you’re trying to slide on rough ground.

Dragons and Keyframes actually fit a similar niche, but Dragons are much better.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6515 on: May 23, 2023, 08:31:28 AM »
https://youtu.be/yDRtTtCQne4

I like this kid's channel. I like his skateboard style too.

This video is mids for the skate style factor but the video proves that I was right.

Bringing back old formulas is tired.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6516 on: May 23, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »

This video is mids for the skate style factor but the video proves that I was right.

thats the homey yourbreakfsat  8)
ONTARIO CANADA

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6517 on: May 23, 2023, 09:51:14 AM »
That was a good review. Def will start watching his reviews.

Also so with all the oj marketing they basically made 99a wheel. And charge $20 more. Classic nhs.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6518 on: May 23, 2023, 03:17:38 PM »
gonna bite on the bones x97s
do these wheels wear down quickly cause ill go with 56mm if so
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6519 on: May 24, 2023, 04:08:23 PM »
I picked up some of the new 53mm Loophole conical wheels.

Here’s some photos of the new Loops shown next to the old NFG/Loophole teardrop shape for comparison.

Compared to the conical cut Vee shape that NFG/Loophole used to offer these new ones are much less extreme in width and much less sharp on edge.

There’s a nice radius on the edge, and they’re not the color of cave aged sharp white cheddar/ oxidized golden potatoes like the old ones were.

They have treads so that’s a bit of a bummer but I’m still excited to try them out.

Someone here mentioned that the new Loops might be poured by Acid Chemical Co. I’m not sure where they’re made but they sure do look like Acid wheels.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:22:25 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #6520 on: May 24, 2023, 04:32:05 PM »

Here’s some photos of the new Loops shown next to the old NFG/Loophole teardrop shape for comparison.

Compared to the conical cut Vee shape that NFG/Loophole used to offer these new ones are much less extreme in width and much less sharp on edge.

There’s a nice radius on the edge, and they’re not the color of sharp white cheddar/ oxidized potatoes like the old ones were.

They have treads so that’s a bit of a bummer but I’m still excited to try them out.

Someone here mentioned that the new Loops might be poured by Acid Chemical Co. I’m not sure where they’re made but they sure do look like Acid wheels.

I confirmed this with the owner of my local a little while ago. Apparently the Loophole dudes got fucked over by whoever was running NFG if I remember correctly.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #6521 on: May 24, 2023, 04:45:38 PM »
Damn that sucks if they got fucked over. They’ve got a sick team and I’m glad they were able to keep it going after NFG closed up shop.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #6522 on: May 24, 2023, 04:51:31 PM »

Why are you hoping not dragons? I got a pair this year and if you skate on the east coast I cannot recommend them enough.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #6523 on: May 24, 2023, 05:27:50 PM »
Damn that sucks if they got fucked over. They’ve got a sick team and I’m glad they were able to keep it going after NFG closed up shop.

Agreed, Jesse and those dudes are super sick

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #6524 on: May 25, 2023, 01:07:10 AM »
Ok friends. Aiming for rougher spots. Don't want a cruiser wheel, want to have control via micro slides etc. – hate the train track feel of super soft wheels. Also, want to go fast.

Thus, my question is: Bones Dragons or OJ Nomads? And if either, why?

(For some reason these two have come out as the top 2 options for me. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 06:59:49 AM by rikki »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6525 on: May 25, 2023, 03:33:53 AM »
Ok friends. Aiming for rougher spots. Don't want a cruiser wheel, want to have control via micro slides etc. – hate the traintrack feel of the super soft wheels. Also, want to go fast.

(For some reason these two have come out as the top 2 options for me. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Dragons all day. They're smoother and also slide better. As long as you're not trying to pinch any grinds, they're the best option

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6526 on: May 25, 2023, 07:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Ok friends. Aiming for rougher spots. Don't want a cruiser wheel, want to have control via micro slides etc. – hate the traintrack feel of the super soft wheels. Also, want to go fast.

[close]

Dragons all day. They're smoother and also slide better. As long as you're not trying to pinch any grinds, they're the best option

Dragons, I still associate Bones with a higher quality product and OJ / Ricta as inferior. X-formula if it's not too crusty, Dragons if you're going hard in the paint.

But Ricta Clouds are still the best pure cruising wheel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6527 on: May 25, 2023, 09:33:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Dragons, I still associate Bones with a higher quality product and OJ / Ricta as inferior. X-formula if it's not too crusty, Dragons if you're going hard in the paint.

But Ricta Clouds are still the best pure cruising wheel.

Came here to ask something similar and got my answer. I have 60mm OJ IIIs on my travel deck but I’d never dream of tricking seriously on them. But I need something for that East Coast crust. I tried some 97a Vomit minis and they’re too hard and chalky. Super slow too. Dragons it is.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 53
« Reply #6528 on: May 25, 2023, 08:39:52 PM »
Expand Quote

There’s a nice radius on the edge, and they’re not the color of sharp white cheddar/ oxidized potatoes like the old ones were.

[close]

I confirmed this with the owner of my local a little while ago. Apparently the Loophole dudes got fucked over by whoever was running NFG if I remember correctly.

I got the 56mm 99a Roger Kreb wheels and tried them today. They felt extremely slow, cheap, and plastic.

pops

• Rep: 218
« Reply #6529 on: May 25, 2023, 09:31:18 PM »

I'm glad there's guys like this who gives honest reviews of skate product. Gonna stay away from those wheels, haha.  ;D

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6530 on: May 26, 2023, 01:47:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I got the 56mm 99a Roger Kreb wheels and tried them today. They felt extremely slow, cheap, and plastic.
Idk why anybody would skate something besides F4
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6531 on: May 26, 2023, 02:30:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's like saying "I don't know why anybody would ever drive something besides Mercedes/BMW/insert your preferred high-end car make here". There's lots of reasons:

- F4s are expensive, especially outside the US. In Europe they cost twice as much as local brands, and about 20-50% more than the other big names, depending on the exact product. Plus they're basically never on sale, whereas virtually all other brands you can get for a significant discount at one shop or another at any time.

- Not all skaters need the speed or "slideability" F4s offer. Just like any car will do for a new driver, most any wheel will do for a beginner skater. There's no need to pay a premium for learning the absolute basics, and it's not like F4s would make you learn to ollie faster.

- Not everybody finds F4s to be actually superior for their needs. I know quite a lot of people who never warmed up to them, especially among those who learned to skate way before their advent.

No doubt F4s are the premium wheel on the market today, but I see a lot of similarities between many F4 evangelists and those "fuck the rest" Indy stans. Cool, you found a product that works for you. No need to yuck other people's yum though.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6532 on: May 26, 2023, 06:20:11 AM »

- F4s are expensive, especially outside the US. In Europe they cost twice as much as local brands, and about 20-50% more than the other big names, depending on the exact product. Plus they're basically never on sale, whereas virtually all other brands you can get for a significant discount at one shop or another at any time.

- Not all skaters need the speed or "slideability" F4s offer. Just like any car will do for a new driver, most any wheel will do for a beginner skater. There's no need to pay a premium for learning the absolute basics, and it's not like F4s would make you learn to ollie faster.

- Not everybody finds F4s to be actually superior for their needs. I know quite a lot of people who never warmed up to them, especially among those who learned to skate way before their advent.

No doubt F4s are the premium wheel on the market today, but I see a lot of similarities between many F4 evangelists and those "fuck the rest" Indy stans. Cool, you found a product that works for you. No need to yuck other people's yum though.

Part of why I love skating is the experimentation. I mean, I almost exclusively skate Indy and BBS decks, but I’d never thumb my nose at people who feel differently. What I will poo-poo is people who don’t try new things and/or harsh on people for doing so. I just got a PS Stix deck and guess what? It’s great. And I love the Ventures I have on my travel board.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #6533 on: May 26, 2023, 01:28:28 PM »

Hard disagree here.

The Loopholes don’t feel slow, cheap or “plastic” to me. Actually they feel quite fast. They just feel and look different compared to my F4’s and SML’s. The Loopholes may look more “plastic” because they’re bright white and F4’s have that potato look.

They’re a bit harder to power slide than F4’s, yes. To me though it seems like “plastic” implies that they would be super slippery whereas these are pretty grippy but also slide/grind well.

I don’t need everything to feel like F4 to enjoy it and I also don’t need to be slipping and sliding ALL the time. Each to their own though.

I enjoyed my session on them, as I do with plenty of other non-F4 wheels, and I expect I’ll enjoy them more and more as the tread wears off.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6534 on: May 26, 2023, 01:39:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

the point of this thread is to discuss different wheels if you are not supportive of experimenting with different wheels then why are you in this thread it is clearly not the place for you go to the Spitfire F4 thread

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6535 on: May 27, 2023, 05:44:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
imagine being a skater and not knowing the magic that is/ was NFG wheels …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6536 on: May 27, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hard disagree here.

The Loopholes don’t feel slow, cheap or “plastic” to me. Actually they feel quite fast. They just feel and look different compared to my F4’s and SML’s. The Loopholes may look more “plastic” because they’re bright white and F4’s have that potato look.

They’re a bit harder to power slide than F4’s, yes. To me though it seems like “plastic” implies that they would be super slippery whereas these are pretty grippy but also slide/grind well.

I don’t need everything to feel like F4 to enjoy it and I also don’t need to be slipping and sliding ALL the time. Each to their own though.

I enjoyed my session on them, as I do with plenty of other non-F4 wheels, and I expect I’ll enjoy them more and more as the tread wears off.

I’m curious I wanna try a set of the new ones I really enjoyed the old formula as well, thanks for keeping us updated on the new ones
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • sup dog
« Reply #6537 on: May 27, 2023, 08:33:57 AM »

X97 still blunts and rolls well over chunky asphalt   Get those. They handle everything and still slide.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #6538 on: May 27, 2023, 03:37:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Hard disagree here.

[close]

I’m curious I wanna try a set of the new ones I really enjoyed the old formula as well, thanks for keeping us updated on the new ones

Anybody know the riding surface width of any of their classic wheels? Preferably 54mm.  Couldn’t find a guide

https://www.loopholewheels.com/product-page/wheel-ty-beall-54mm-99a-or-101a

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #6539 on: May 28, 2023, 09:30:37 AM »
Okay, I think I’m actually pretty over 99a F4s.
They’re just not a true 99a wheel. They make more of a clack clack sound and the reason they slide so good is because they hard af.
I’ll try and see if I can sell them or trade them for something I’ll like. No way I’m just going to give them away for a total loss of 80$.

Tried out some different wheels when some guys and I were comparing them.
I like regular Bones STF 99a, OJ Elite 99a and spit Classic formula. They’re all the slightest bit gummy and grippier.

I want to try Bones SPF 81B and x97. They’re for indoor plywood and Crete floors.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.