Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 789366 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7530 on: March 28, 2024, 06:07:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh it goes on. I set them back up for more punishment after already promising them to an Andy Anderson worshiping old guy at the indoor skatepark. Should probably start a Youtube channel....
[close]
That sounds promising. Just go around disappointing old guys with promises of Andy Anderson completes with Cubics.

Make sure to also land every single trick they’re trying first try right in front of them, and just mean mug stare at them as you roll away. Point at them, too, for extra flair. Say things loudly like “man it must suck to be old! That was easy!”

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

Sorta unrelated but I wonder if those old skatepark guys love && so much because he’s what they hoped most modern pros would have become. Kinda like your dad always bringing up the neighbors kid because he goes to college while you work part time at a Quiznos.
Here’s my deep thoughts:

Andy does everything. Super big ass rails and little stupid dumb shit on flat and curbs. He’s incredibly creative, and looks at spots differently than someone else. He’s like an emerging art piece on wheels that does it purely for the love of it. (Also creating new skate products, simply for the love of it: cubic wheels, his deck)

Getting old and skating is really difficult, for both the mind and body… and you have to really tone it down and skate different things and be more creative, while also enjoying skating more because you truly are just doing it for the joy of it (and not for fame and glory like it was in the younger days): in other words, old folks just truly don’t give a fuck anymore and are just happy to be doing anything.

Anderson emits that positivity and fuck-all attitude, and it’s relatable; and gets you stoked to go skate.

That’s my take on him, anyways.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7531 on: March 28, 2024, 07:18:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh it goes on. I set them back up for more punishment after already promising them to an Andy Anderson worshiping old guy at the indoor skatepark. Should probably start a Youtube channel....
[close]
That sounds promising. Just go around disappointing old guys with promises of Andy Anderson completes with Cubics.

Make sure to also land every single trick they’re trying first try right in front of them, and just mean mug stare at them as you roll away. Point at them, too, for extra flair. Say things loudly like “man it must suck to be old! That was easy!”

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

Sorta unrelated but I wonder if those old skatepark guys love && so much because he’s what they hoped most modern pros would have become. Kinda like your dad always bringing up the neighbors kid because he goes to college while you work part time at a Quiznos.
[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

Andy does everything. Super big ass rails and little stupid dumb shit on flat and curbs. He’s incredibly creative, and looks at spots differently than someone else. He’s like an emerging art piece on wheels that does it purely for the love of it. (Also creating new skate products, simply for the love of it: cubic wheels, his deck)

Getting old and skating is really difficult, for both the mind and body… and you have to really tone it down and skate different things and be more creative, while also enjoying skating more because you truly are just doing it for the joy of it (and not for fame and glory like it was in the younger days): in other words, old folks just truly don’t give a fuck anymore and are just happy to be doing anything.

Anderson emits that positivity and fuck-all attitude, and it’s relatable; and gets you stoked to go skate.

no

Oog

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7532 on: March 28, 2024, 07:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

[close]

no

I think the darkslide debacle and his inability to nollie heelflip at BATB really killed the illusion that he is some all time great. If guys in their 40s want to believe he's the second coming of skate Jesus that's fine but he doesn't really compare to other ATV greats. It's really just branding. He's skate Lady Gaga and his front foot impossible is just a meat dress.

To make this more on topic, those nano cubic wheels look stupid. I get it they are an old shape brought back and they have some history that I should care about but maybe they should have just stayed dead.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7533 on: March 28, 2024, 09:28:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

[close]

no
[close]

I think the darkslide debacle and his inability to nollie heelflip at BATB really killed the illusion that he is some all time great. If guys in their 40s want to believe he's the second coming of skate Jesus that's fine but he doesn't really compare to other ATV greats. It's really just branding. He's skate Lady Gaga and his front foot impossible is just a meat dress.

To make this more on topic, those nano cubic wheels look stupid. I get it they are an old shape brought back and they have some history that I should care about but maybe they should have just stayed dead.
No, is a great counter argument. I’ve never thought of it that way before.

It’s not about his talent… it’s his character and love for skating that is infectious. It reminds us what it’s like to be young and what it was like to get into skating in the first place.

Hit 40, and shit just starts getting real and no one wants to think about death.

Over 40’s love Reynolds and Kirchart, too, but not because of their personalities: for them, it’s because of their talent and style that make you want to go skate.

And you also care less what you’re supposed to love/hate because a bunch of other people parrot the same opinion.  It’s great to truly not give a fuck what people think.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #7534 on: March 28, 2024, 09:52:05 AM »
Death contemplation is one of the keys to liberation. I highly encourage a daily practice. And deck your rock n rolls.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7535 on: March 28, 2024, 10:56:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

[close]

no
[close]

[close]
No, is a great counter argument. I’ve never thought of it that way before.

It’s not about his talent… it’s his character and love for skating that is infectious. It reminds us what it’s like to be young and what it was like to get into skating in the first place.

Hit 40, and shit just starts getting real and no one wants to think about death.

Over 40’s love Reynolds and Kirchart, too, but not because of their personalities: for them, it’s because of their talent and style that make you want to go skate.

And you also care less what you’re supposed to love/hate because a bunch of other people parrot the same opinion.  It’s great to truly not give a fuck what people think.

oh us people in our 40s most certainly care what others think. and that is ok.
andy just has so much of that homeschooler on a unicycle style.
i’m glad that richie jackson and whomever else wants to skate. i don’t prefer it. and aa is a flashlight for those that like wacky gimmicks.
in my opinion.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #7536 on: March 28, 2024, 11:09:28 AM »
Death contemplation is one of the keys to liberation. I highly encourage a daily practice. And deck your rock n rolls.

Amen, brother.

"The Blessed Lord said: Time I am, destroyer of the worlds, and I have come to engage all people"
- Bhagavad Gita, 11.32

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7537 on: March 28, 2024, 01:37:27 PM »
The only decking that’s acceptable is a double tap, or even triple if your feeling frisky and want to mark your space.

Some dude

• Rep: -41
« Reply #7538 on: March 28, 2024, 03:34:25 PM »
Anyone messed with these yet??
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.
Is this just a weird pic of them?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7539 on: March 28, 2024, 03:51:11 PM »
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

I have not messed with them but I'll bet you they suck

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Dad Board

• Rep: 66
« Reply #7540 on: March 28, 2024, 03:57:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

Idk man I’m in my late 30’s and he just seems like he has a marketing machine behind him to sell merch and the “brand” that he’s made himself into. All that weird hyper positive shit isn’t genuine to me. There’s no shortage of creative skaters out there but && has an entire team of people promoting him so it seems like he’s this driving force for some “do it for the love” renaissance but I ain’t buying it.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7541 on: March 28, 2024, 04:13:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

[close]

Idk man I’m in my late 30’s and he just seems like he has a marketing machine behind him to sell merch and the “brand” that he’s made himself into. All that weird hyper positive shit isn’t genuine to me. There’s no shortage of creative skaters out there but && has an entire team of people promoting him so it seems like he’s this driving force for some “do it for the love” renaissance but I ain’t buying it.

So, this sounds contradictory, but yes he’s a marketing machine and he’s a salesman. No disagreements there. That can be a big turnoff.

I can look past that and appreciate his creativity and the fun he seems to be having… which has gotten me excited to skate.

It’s also relatable the low ground stuff he does, and environment skating.

He’s a good inspiration for the fun in skating (when he’s skating and not slinging wheels and boards and WTF: mini-logo trucks?? :o )

I appreciate his skating, not his character. He’s kind of an odd one that does have his moments of narcissism: “oh look! You do this! And then you do this.” “Yeah like that, but then I can do this next”. He’s a one-upper. I’m not sure I would want to seriously have a sesh with him… but I’ll watch him cruise around on some little journey doing creative things.

Dad Board

« Reply #7542 on: March 28, 2024, 04:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

[close]

[close]

So, this sounds contradictory, but yes he’s a marketing machine and he’s a salesman. No disagreements there. That can be a big turnoff.

I can look past that and appreciate his creativity and the fun he seems to be having… which has gotten me excited to skate.

He’s a good inspiration for the fun in skating (when he’s skating and not slinging wheels and boards and WTF: mini-logo trucks?? :o )

I appreciate his skating, not his character. He’s kind of an odd one that does have his moments of narcissism: “oh look! You do this! And then you do this.” “Yeah like that, but then I can do this next”. He’s a one-upper. I’m not sure I would want to seriously have a sesh with him… but I’ll watch him cruise around on some little journey doing creative things.

It almost sounded like you were having an epiphany while writing that lol. No dis towards you at all for liking the dude, I can see why he’s powells poster child and everything he’s involved with is easily digestible content that has that 90’s sitcom era welcoming vibe, where can just have it on & not dive too deep while you come down from your day. I just dont get down with him being this superstar when the lad can’t even hold it down in a regular game of skate. Anyway, we’re here for the wheels not the feels. Sorry to derail the thread

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7543 on: March 28, 2024, 04:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

[close]

[close]

[close]

It almost sounded like you were having an epiphany while writing that lol. No dis towards you at all for liking the dude, I can see why he’s powells poster child and everything he’s involved with is easily digestible content that has that 90’s sitcom era welcoming vibe, where can just have it on & not dive too deep while you come down from your day. I just dont get down with him being this superstar when the lad can’t even hold it down in a regular game of skate. Anyway, we’re here for the wheels not the feels. Sorry to derail the thread

Hah! maybe a little bit... philosophizing and shit, yah know?  long week.

I was tryiing to post something about the wheels.... and how I would never buy those horrible looking cubics... but the website kept glitching...

but yeah, derailed it was. moving on.

I really, really, really want to try the new spitfire 93a's. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7544 on: March 28, 2024, 04:26:53 PM »
Expand Quote
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

[close]

I remember the insta post for these, something along the lines "NBD "...uh yeah, NHS never did the 'lil'doodies' straight trash rip.

Snot urethane is shit no matter how you package it. Shame really, fun brand.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7545 on: March 28, 2024, 04:29:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

[close]

[close]

I remember the insta post for these, something along the lines "NBD "...uh yeah, NHS never did the 'lil'doodies' straight trash rip.

Those wheels look ridiculous.

What are they supposed to be for? Anything?

Dad Board

« Reply #7546 on: March 28, 2024, 05:21:27 PM »
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

Some dude

« Reply #7547 on: March 28, 2024, 06:19:23 PM »
Expand Quote
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

[close]

This is exactly what I was posted this asking. It does look like an inline skate wheel 🤦🏻‍♀️

Some dude

« Reply #7548 on: March 28, 2024, 06:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Those wheels look ridiculous.

What are they supposed to be for? Anything?

early 90’s bearing cover cruiser wheel. mini keyframe style. It sounds fun on paper but it does look like it could sub for a rollerblade wheel

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7549 on: March 28, 2024, 07:16:57 PM »
they are called “lil shits”
cant expect much
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #7550 on: March 29, 2024, 05:03:13 AM »
nah this wouldn't even work for inline skates. if you had them set up anti-rocker they could go in the middle if they weren't so soft, at the same time they are too small to roll on. that size/hardness combo makes them pretty much useless for both skateboarding and inline, but i'm like 99% sure that they were made on an inline wheel mold.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7551 on: March 29, 2024, 09:05:03 AM »
Small soft wheels are typically a bad combo especially with a profile like that. Unless there is something magic going on they aren't going to last that long or offer than much beyond a light novelty set up.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7552 on: March 29, 2024, 09:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They love that, too. ;D
[close]

[close]
Here’s my deep thoughts:

Idk. I sense a massive amount of conflict within Mr &erson. We all know where that leads. Dark slides.

Andy's switch has been looking gooder lately but I've found his visibility less lately. I'm impressed because I know first hand how hard it is to get switch tricks after you been going for decades. I been back like 6 years and I still haven't felt the one again.

Speaking of limited visibility. What up with Dan erasing that kid from the snake rail ledge session? I saw on one channel the snake ledge session had this new kid who is fuckin insanity good. Maybe Powell is keeping him secret but I feel it's not on Dan's channel because he got burnt up by a 12-15 year old.

On Dan's channel there's not even a shot of the kid in the line up. The edit was ratchety and had zero flow because of the effort to erase every second of film with the beastie boy in it.

I'm telling you. The kid has the glow of future. The flip ins like to back it up.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7553 on: March 30, 2024, 08:32:03 AM »
I flat spotted my x99's in my second session.  I think it's fun to just do a frontside powerslide on flat banks.  For some reason, I often get flatspots on new wheels, maybe it's just the finishing or that they are slipperier when new.  Usually after a few days it mellows out and I move on, but with these wheels being so smooth you feel it for sure....

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #7554 on: March 30, 2024, 08:45:34 AM »
Expand Quote
What’s the word?

the look very narrow.

[close]

https://smlwheels.com/products/coffee-cruiser-ruby-red-50mm-78a

A little bigger then the snots but I've had these before and they definitely put a smile on my face when riding them

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7555 on: March 30, 2024, 09:15:36 AM »
I flat spotted my x99's in my second session.  I think it's fun to just do a frontside powerslide on flat banks.  For some reason, I often get flatspots on new wheels, maybe it's just the finishing or that they are slipperier when new.  Usually after a few days it mellows out and I move on, but with these wheels being so smooth you feel it for sure....

I've always said new wheels are more vulnerable to flat spots. I ike to bomb some hill or push around some rough ground before I start going crazy with slides with freshies.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7556 on: March 30, 2024, 04:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've always said new wheels are more vulnerable to flat spots. I ike to bomb some hill or push around some rough ground before I start going crazy with slides with freshies.

this was especially true of the older formula spitfire wheels. no slides for a few days. kinda like new trucks, no tricks for a few days. of course i’ve always been an impatient turd, and i’d just tighten my bushings down and blow them out, do some lazy back 170 degree ollie to flatspot, first day out. everytime.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #7557 on: April 01, 2024, 09:48:25 AM »
I impulsively bought some x99s out of curiosity since I haven’t heard much about them. I bought the 56mm v6. I was previously riding Spitfire F4 99a 56mm conicals. In terms of shape, the two wheels are nearly identical. They’re both the same width and diameter, but the F4s have a slightly wider contact patch.

Feel:
The x99 still have a soft feeling to them. To me they feel very similar to the Spitfire F4 97s. Skating across the parking lot was a much more pleasant experience than my F4 99s. In the park was really nice too. My local is 10 years old, so it’s not crusty but not glassy smooth. It’s a very comfortable ride while still giving some feedback from the ground.

Speed:
The x99 are noticeably faster than the F4s. I’ve always felt that speed is what Bones wheels really get right.

Grip/Slide:
The x99 are significantly more grippy than the F4 99s. Reverts were harder and a bit sticky. When sliding, they have a deep bark compared to the high pitched screech that F4s make. They will still slide and revert, it just takes some more effort.

Grinds:
My biggest issue with the Dragons is that they would catch and drag on grinds. The x99s are a major improvement in this department. There is still just the slightest bit of drag on grinds, but I think I only really notice this because I came from skating F4s. It’s more so that the deceleration at the end of a grind is a little quicker due to the grippier formula. Not a deal breaker.

Weight:
The x99 feel lighter than the F4s. The v6 shape has a pretty significant side cut that gets rid of a good bit of weight. The urethane also seems less dense than F4. My ollies felt better on the x99.

Overall Impression:
The x99 is a very good wheel. Is it a replacement for F4s? Absolutely not.

I would still put the x99s in the same category as Dragons, not F4s. They are an excellent wheel for someone looking for a wheel that does everything well enough. You can comfortably cruise over crusty asphalt and then skate a glassy smooth park. It is also a great wheel for an intermediate skater, someone who wants to go faster but isn’t ready for a wheel like SPF or F4 yet. It’s the kind of wheel I would want to carve around a bowl after a few beers and a j.

I pretty much only skate parks, so after a few sessions I put my F4s back on. If I didn’t do reverts, I would have kept the x99s on my main setup.

I have a crust setup with Dragons on it. When those wheels wear out, I’ll replace them with this set of x99s. I think the difference between x99 and F4 99 is more drastic than the difference between x99 and Dragons.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7558 on: April 01, 2024, 10:15:05 AM »
do they slide worse than dragons? I thought the slide on dragons was pretty solid / consistent.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #7559 on: April 01, 2024, 10:33:16 AM »
do they slide worse than dragons? I thought the slide on dragons was pretty solid / consistent.

Slide feels similar, but it’s easier to get the x99 to start sliding. Both wheels have that deep bark sound. In my experience, both will slide but regain traction pretty quick.