Author Topic: Is Clipper the new hubba hideout?  (Read 10170 times)

Sanka Coffie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
Is Clipper the new hubba hideout?
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
just an observation but it seems like every single new part that comes out has some NBD on clipper. Both spots originated within a few years of each other so I was wondering why hubba was shut down and clipper wasn't? (not from SF so I don't really know a backstory on this.)

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Is Clipper the new hubba hideout?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
Isn't it just the old clipper?

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
since you know it's not 'new' it can't be the 'new' hubba hideout but i know what you mean. clipper is at a school whereas hubba was part of the corporate cityscape and by it's name and folklore you know it was a place to consume hard drugs. prolly cause crack smoking is rare at clipper it has stood the testes of time vs hubba that got tagged a bunch, could've been a lawsuit if some chucklehead like joe valdez were to fall off the side and maybe was a black eye for the business people who were not smoking crack that their coworkers were.
hubba was prolly better cause it was both ways and technically there were 4 hubba hideouts even though hardly anyone did lines [jeremy wray].

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
clipper ledge is lame, it's pretty low by todays standards.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
since you know it's not 'new' it can't be the 'new' hubba hideout but i know what you mean. clipper is at a school whereas hubba was part of the corporate cityscape and by it's name and folklore you know it was a place to consume hard drugs. prolly cause crack smoking is rare at clipper it has stood the testes of time vs hubba that got tagged a bunch, could've been a lawsuit if some chucklehead like joe valdez were to fall off the side and maybe was a black eye for the business people who were not smoking crack that their coworkers were.
hubba was prolly better cause it was both ways and technically there were 4 hubba hideouts even though hardly anyone did lines [jeremy wray].

I liked how EA skate used an actual replica of it with the multiple step downs , and that thing was hard as hell to skate in the game. If anything is the new bubba it would be that giant hubba in norcal I attached a photo with Heath.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
The clippers are under new ownership.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

Lame huh

Lame by your standards ? Or lame by A Pros standards ?

What tricks have you done on Clipper ?
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lame huh

none, he's a fat kid from canada w/ a girl's name. he kinda resembles bam margerine back when bam had sausage tits and did kf 5050s on mini ramps. i'm a bit disappointed by tracergate. i wanted him to be the welder he claimed to be. i wanted him to embody the blue collar angst of a man who when not fusing pieces of metal to each other vented his dissatisfaction w/ a [skate] world gone wrong via dumb threads. alas, alas, a chubby lass.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »
Hahaha...Yah

Tracer is that coworker who ask pointless questions at meeting & keeps everyone there even longer.
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
Big difference between Clipper and Hubba is that you can only approach Clipper one way (goofy b/s, regs f/s) whereas Hubba you could approach both ways.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lame huh

[close]
none, he's a fat kid from canada w/ a girl's name. he kinda resembles bam margerine back when bam had sausage tits and did kf 5050s on mini ramps. i'm a bit disappointed by tracergate. i wanted him to be the welder he claimed to be. i wanted him to embody the blue collar angst of a man who when not fusing pieces of metal to each other vented his dissatisfaction w/ a [skate] world gone wrong via dumb threads. alas, alas, a chubby lass.

did footage finally surface? did he turn out to be a mythological creature?

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »
Hahaha...Yah

Tracer is that coworker who ask pointless questions at meeting & keeps everyone there even longer.

wow i wanted to contribute to this thread but couldnt; i flashed back to this reddit shit, i read it today, about "work etiquette" or some bullshit.  I was definitely regretting the mexican i had for lunch, mucho diarrhea-o  8)

edit: fuck, meant to put "contribute positively" guys, wow look at me, editing like im redditing! quirky
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:52:58 PM by pencil »
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
Big difference between Clipper and Hubba is that you can only approach Clipper one way (goofy b/s, regs f/s) whereas Hubba you could approach both ways.

in all seriousness though this actually is a pretty good point, also dont most people roll in off some plywood to get on clipper?
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
Hubba was being skated damn near a decade before Clipper. Clipper isn't the new hubba because nobody gives a shit about NBD's the way they used to anymore. It used to be a way to prove yourself, today no single trick will.

I also liked the fact that back when hubba was really going off, it wasn't skated by strictly rail kids at all. Everybody who could got something down hubba- Karl Watson, Josh Kalis, Marcus McBride- those dudes weren't known for skating rails, but each got a serious piece of history there, same with plenty of others. Clipper is just another spot for today's rail kids to skate.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 10:31:32 PM »
I wouldnt call jake johnson or ryan gallant rail kids. Couldnt imagine a frontside slappy on hubba either. I think the comparison between the two spots is pretty apt. Clipper is like hubba with inflation. Its easier to skate height wise. I agree nbds are less shocking in general but clipper still has that interest for me at least.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

shark tits

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:13 PM »

nylin

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »
Hubba was being skated damn near a decade before Clipper. Clipper isn't the new hubba because nobody gives a shit about NBD's the way they used to anymore. It used to be a way to prove yourself, today no single trick will.

I also liked the fact that back when hubba was really going off, it wasn't skated by strictly rail kids at all. Everybody who could got something down hubba- Karl Watson, Josh Kalis, Marcus McBride- those dudes weren't known for skating rails, but each got a serious piece of history there, same with plenty of others. Clipper is just another spot for today's rail kids to skate.

Can't leave out Lavar. He shitted on Hubba.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lame huh

[close]
[close]

See more here...
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=82032.30

Everett425

• Rep: -148
  • Nice! Dope! Like it! Wow!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »
Said it before and I'll say it again, Clipper is the best spot to watch tricks go down @ on video of the 2000's.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:55:12 PM »

Whats the first clip of Hubba being skated? I would of thought it was something around the time of Questionable, pretty sure the first clips of Clipper are Sheffy's fs 50-50 and Kostons bs 50-50 in Mouse which is 96 i'm pretty sure.

shark tits

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 12:07:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Whats the first clip of Hubba being skated? I would of thought it was something around the time of Questionable, pretty sure the first clips of Clipper are Sheffy's fs 50-50 and Kostons bs 50-50 in Mouse which is 96 i'm pretty sure.
your timeline sounds about right. wade speyer and henry sanchez were the first to skate hubba [the ledges anyways] so prolly 92/93. rattray noseblunted clipper when me and my buddy were in SF. my pal got background props of rattray skating 20th and harrison in that hawaiian shirt. guess there was a little gap between clipper being skated and people doing harder tricks on it but along w/ markovich them girl guys were getting on it pretty early.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »
^92-93? Dude, they skated it in questionable.
Speyer got the first photo/coverage of any sort there with a crook in a dogtown ad in like 89 or 90.
People didn't really start seriously sessioning clipper until like 99-2000
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 12:53:04 AM »
Can we call it Chubba
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
I read that Pontus Alv handled a 50-50 on Clipper before Sheffey or Koston - even though it ended up in Mad Circle's Five Flavors which came after Mouse.

shark tits

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 01:54:02 AM »
^92-93? Dude, they skated it in questionable.
Speyer got the first photo/coverage of any sort there with a crook in a dogtown ad in like 89 or 90.
People didn't really start seriously sessioning clipper until like 99-2000
wasn't questionable 92? i'm gonna guess speyer/sanchez was no earlier than 91. i'm sure they didn't do a crook on a pig board w/ no nose. would've had to be post 'barnyard'.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »
Transworld has the Speyer crook on Hubba as taking place in 91. I agree with your point about Clipper, it really didn't have people blowing it up until the late 90's/early 2000's guys such as Appleyard got some heavy tricks down it.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/back-in-the-day-hubbas-first-grind/

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:26:49 AM »
i bet you $100 that you've never been there in person.
Clipper is fucking gnarly.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 06:22:17 AM »
oceanside hubba is also really huge. but it doesn't have any lore per se besides nick dompierre's bs noseblunt bail photo.  

stanford hubba still seems like a legit proving ground. clipper gets enders so you cant not agree its sort of taken hubba's place.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lame huh

[close]
[close]

[close]

See more here...
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=82032.30

thanks man, gnar'd.

and since when is 5 years a decade? or did someone fail math class?