Author Topic: Epicly Later'd: Chocolate Skateboards  (Read 48807 times)

c. 1995

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
Re: Epicly Later'd: Chocolate Skateboards
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was wondering why my rep was going down until I came on this thread and realized I posted that comment about mike york and shane heyl.. But yeah I just drew the comparison between them because theyre both fucking annoying.
[close]

And you should get kooked twice over for caring.
[close]

slap magazine: the kook fest
[close]

Dang. This is something people actually care about? You guys are more sensitive than I thought.

Haha I honestly don't take it seriously, its just hard not to notice since its right by your name. 

SomeWorries

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was wondering why my rep was going down until I came on this thread and realized I posted that comment about mike york and shane heyl.. But yeah I just drew the comparison between them because theyre both fucking annoying.
[close]

And you should get kooked twice over for caring.
[close]

slap magazine: the kook fest
[close]

Dang. This is something people actually care about? You guys are more sensitive than I thought.
[close]

Haha I honestly don't take it seriously, its just hard not to notice since its right by your name. 

Fair enough. Didn't mean to start somethin'.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »
Which York part was the one where he skated to CB4?  My old man memory is failing me again.

This is great, it's got the vibe of another one of those "commercial" episodes like the Huf one, but that's ok... these guys are all legends and any footage is good footage.

Chocolate Tour

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
where the fukkk is part 2?

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2014, 10:43:29 AM »
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:51:42 AM by Stanley Spadowski »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

oldgoodburger

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
damn.

jimi420

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »
Damn. I never knew how Keenan died, I just assumed it was a wrong place wrong time shooting/car accident. That's a real bummer to think about, and how many parallels there are with so many others who are wasting their opportunities in the industry.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
Whoa.  Heavy episode for sure.  Keenan forever

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
That was incredible. My favorite episode in the whole series.

Bagger Vance

• Rep: -10
  • Think I give a fuck bout sparkles?
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »
wow. That was one of the best epicly later'd episodes ive seen. The show is so much better when people open up. I always knew Keenan died in the pool at a july 4th party but thats the first I ever heard the whole story. I feel for Lee, must be hard to be one of the last people to see a friend right before they go like that.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
I always knew he passed in a pool but I always heard it told a different way, I didn't know how into drugs those dudes were, I knew they partied, drank and smoked weed or whatever but I didn't know they were burning through coke like that. It's a shame it went down like that, he was the best man.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
Amazing episode, and really sad. Had to suck for Lee being one of the last people to see Keenan and having people hold him partially responsible. I love how they've gotten almost all of the heavy guys involved in Chocolate to interview. The only person whose interview is noticeably absent is Rick Howard, who for whatever reasons has avoided doing epicly later'd interviews. Excited to here about the MJ addition coming up, and hopefully Pops gives a quality non-whining interview.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
that was really heavy, it was sad to see the look in the guys faces when talking about keenans death. Kenny appearing at the end as a segue into the next episode turned my frown upside down

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »
these episodes are so good so far. On par with the Cardiel and Tempster ones.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
You can tell Lee feels responsible. That's probably a heavy feeling..I Feel sorry for him

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
Tragic. I know this is "journalism" in a way but I really hope his family was cool about the details of Keenan's passing coming to light. Hopefully that was cleared before this went up.

keenan forever

artsy

• Rep: 14
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
I always knew he passed in a pool but I always heard it told a different way, I didn't know how into drugs those dudes were, I knew they partied, drank and smoked weed or whatever but I didn't know they were burning through coke like that. It's a shame it went down like that, he was the best man.

between this, and reading about Reynolds in the late 90s/early 2000s, made me kinda realize how into partying skaters really are. Coke, smoking crack, popping pills... crazy shit man. I'm almost surprised we haven't lost more skaters to drugs and alcohol now that I know how serious of a problem it was/is.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »
Great work, as usual, on O'dell's part. I really liked what Daniel Castillo had to say about how Keenan was just a genuinely nice person. Ultimately, it's not his skating ability that should be remebered, but his character.

Not get too deep, but I am always blown away and saddened by the fact that, quite often, bad things happen to really good people. RIP Keenan

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
Tragic. I know this is "journalism" in a way but I really hope his family was cool about the details of Keenan's passing coming to light. Hopefully that was cleared before this went up.

keenan forever

If it helps somebody in a similar situation avoid the same downfall, then it's worth including rather than glossing over (in my opinion).

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
What is Mike York's ethnicity?
His part in Yeah Right was sick too.
[close]

Hell yeah! Love his part. Even though it was a little too much Pier 7 and 3rd and Army stuff, it was a nice contrast from all the LA stuff that was in the vid.

I love how it was all SF footy! He was keeping that whole scene alive in that video. I was living in Santa Cruz at the time fresh from Chicago and was bummed how all of those guys are now LA dudes (many were before and all...)
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
I was never a fan of Mike York, But you can't deny the fact, he was pretty darn good....I don't know if it was his style or the wrist guard ? Mariano can make a wrist guard look good but Yorkie didn't pull it off. He would always make some ninja move or make his landing's funny.

Gabriel has always been my favorite since his Powell days. I wish his Chocolate parts were longer thou :-(
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

vx1000

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
This was one of the best later'd episodes even though it was heartbreaking.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:31:17 PM by vx1000 »

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote

keenan forever
[close]

If it helps somebody in a similar situation avoid the same downfall, then it's worth including rather than glossing over (in my opinion).

good perspective.

back this

shark tits

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
keenan's death always reminded me of brian jones. anyone know that story? he might prolly got drowned by hells angels or he could've been too fucked up and drowned organically but he had a ton of people over and died the same way.
difference being the stones wanted him out and [at least the way they're telling it] chocolate/girl just wanted him to sober up.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
Kind of have to agree that us Skaters have to be open to alcoholism/drugs/partying... I mean the lifestyle isn't all that sugar coated like people think.

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »

keenan forever

Pretty sure his family tried to sue Redbull or whoever was sponsoring that party

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
that ender rules. I wonder who that kid is??

Danny fenzuliiaaaaas or whatever his name was. Rad skater too.

era

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
You can tell Lee feels responsible. That's probably a heavy feeling..I Feel sorry for him

Ya for sure.  Definitely got the vibe that at the time people blamed him for it too.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Kind of have to agree that us Skaters have to be open to alcoholism/drugs/partying... I mean the lifestyle isn't all that sugar coated like people think.

Skateboarding is a dangerous activity. To get into it and to have the confidence to do tricks down stairs, rails etc you really have to be somewhat of a risk taker. Considering this, I don't think it's that surprising that so many skaters have substance abuse issues.

This EL is great. I hope they cover what happened to some of the older guys- Gabriel, Paulo etc. It's crazy to think that Chocolate survived Keenan's death as I can see how that would crush many crews/brands (looking at Flip).
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps