Author Topic: Backpack recommendation?  (Read 5919 times)

Schismatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
Backpack recommendation?
« on: October 25, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
Been using this Anti Hero backpack my old girlfriend got for my b-day in '01 or '02. It's still got some life, just a couple small duct tape patches but I'm considering an upgrade. My local is 90% hard goods, no backpacks and shit so can't just walk in and check different ones out so kinda hoping to get some recommendations.

Looking online I really like the Anti Hero cylinder backpack. The price is a little steep but since my last/current AH one has over a decade of use then $80 probably isn't a bad value at all. As old stock it might be a bit hard to find but not impossible. Does anyone have one of these? Like/dislike it?

Any others?

Requirements:
Skateboard straps (why I'm specifically looking at skate brand backpacks).
- Roomy + efficient use of space.
- Sternum strap.
- Some level of water resistance.
- Subtle look, not to colorful or flashy.

Thanks in advance.

mini pebble

• Rep: -43

mini pebble

Re: Backpack recommendation?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
No skate straps; I realize that now.

mini pebble

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
Testimonial:

"I got this product because it looked cool and a lot of people had it at my high school. So my mamma bought one for me and I love it. It is so perfect. It carries my 2 textbooks, 3 folders, 2 novels, my notebook, pencil case, AND pe clothes like no problem. It is literally one of the best backpacks out there."

I want one of these for Christmas.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »
Slightly off topic but I really wish shortys would remake that sick backpack they made in the 90's. Had skate straps and it was indestructible.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I still have the muska pack....it has a built in seat....

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:32:39 PM »
Only drug addicts and people suffering from mental illness wear backpacks

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
skate straps? faggot just go horizontal on the back with tight straps. fuck outta here backpack recommendations lmao it's not rocket science

@thewilleasley

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Paul-Rodriguez-Skate-Pack/dp/B00BYCO4UK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414283784&sr=8-2&keywords=paul+rodriguez+backpack

Got one of these on sale for like $80 somewhere online and have been using it for a couple years now for quite a bit of travel and its the best bookbag i could ask for. I've stuffed a ridiculous amount of thing in there many times as a carry-on for flights and all the extra padding on the interior & exterior make it comfortable to wear & secure on the inside. Just on my last flight a few days ago had my laptop, 2 pairs of pants w/ some shirts, a pair of shoes, big over ear headphones (that don't fold), a tablet, magazine, all the extra cords for everything AND one of those around the neck airplane pillows. plus a couple small exterior pockets as well. I've used this thing for 3 road trips from Illinois to Arizona and several airplane flights, usually packed to the brim and thrown around a lot and it's still in near-new condition. Incase definitely makes some well-designed, quality bags. That Prod branding may put you off or whatever but if anything I would look to see if you can find some other more generic incase bags for sale online.

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
no straps, but the diamond school life backpack is my daily. got it mainly for the padded laptop sleeve. also has netted elastic pockets on the inside flap i use for cameras. front pouch carries smoking utensils extremely well. heavy, durable materials. $$ well spent

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »
Emerica makes/made some nice ones. Check Ebay.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

dillanharp

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
Thrift store.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »
no skate straps, but this is the best bag i've owned. on my second one after leaving the first in a fucking lyft.

logan chase

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
I think a solid Northface backpack is the way to go

I dunno if they're preppy or whatever in America,
but they're pretty solid bags with good longevity

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 06:15:27 PM »
Burton life time guarantee is the truth! The high cascade shred shred scout holds your laptop, board, and tons of books/three nights of clothing and an extra pair of shoes. Rain guard fold out rain guard, beer holder, weed pocket, refrigerated detachable lunch box, felt lined sunglasses spot. Padded as fuck and good cross support so it's great to skate with. Only backpack I would ever buy if I ever have to buy one again but I don't because they will just keep replacing parts until it's a new bag or just replace the entire bag. Also doesn't rip. Broke one zipper in 5 years and they replaced it with a better one within a week.

Added pick. More square on top than pic alludes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:19:21 PM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/backpacks.html

Pick one hat looks good and and has straps.

It's a fucking backpack! Any with 'skate straps' are going to be pretty much equal. Nylon.Sippers.Pockets.Straps.

The element or dakine (burnside!) look the best imo.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »

It's a fucking backpack! Any with 'skate straps' are going to be pretty much equal. Nylon.Sippers.Pockets.Straps.

not really.. i've been through a fair share of bags and a lot are shit.. In my experience most ones with skate straps won't last long- zippers break, stitches tear.. I use North face- just make sure not to get the ones at the outlets cause they don't honor any kinda warranty like they usually do
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
i bought a theories backpack today, mainly because it comes with a mystery gift, but it looks like a nice smaller bag to huck all of your crap in while out skating.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
i bought a theories backpack today, mainly because it comes with a mystery gift, but it looks like a nice smaller bag to huck all of your crap in while out skating.

let us know how the bag is as well as what the gift is. TOA hooks it up!!

I usually need a bag when i skate- i always have a extra shirt, water, towel, tool.. It would be nice but very impractical for me to skate with out one
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 06:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

let us know how the bag is as well as what the gift is. TOA hooks it up!!

I usually need a bag when i skate- i always have a extra shirt, water, towel, tool.. It would be nice but very impractical for me to skate with out one

i have one, its like a small jansport bag. quality is pretty good. I got a theories shirt with mine, i wouldnt expect anything rlly goood tbh lol

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »
army surplus stores usually sell good quality backpacks and a surprising amount of them have straps on the back that you could carry a board with. probably on par with the quality of any skate brand backpack if not better and probably cheaper too. you just have to be down with camo.

Thefattony

• Rep: -3
  • "Where America comes to die"
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 07:28:18 AM »
http://www.6pm.com/dakine-ledge-25l-pyrite

If you like to ride your bike to skate spots this is the best bag ever.

Horizontal carry prevents you from hitting you head on the top of the board and your back tire from hitting the bottom.

I had originally planned on using it for my motorcycle as well but the horizontal carry is no good over 30mph (basically turns into a buzz lightyear wing at higher speeds) but otherwise its the best bag I have ever owned, super strong super basic and rather rugged.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:36:15 AM by Thefattony »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
no skate straps, but this is the best bag i've owned. on my second one after leaving the first in a fucking lyft.

I have the Cardiel Chrome - best backpack I've ever owned too. Buy a Chrome - lifetime guarantee i'm pretty sure and the things are quality.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
skate straps? faggot just go horizontal on the back with tight straps. fuck outta here backpack recommendations lmao it's not rocket science
Okay then anonymous badass. You might have mommy to take you big boy shopping and buy you whatever you want but some of us are off the teat and need to make informed purchases. That's kind of what "Shoes & Gear" section is for.
Only drug addicts and people suffering from mental illness wear backpacks
And people who carry stuff. I like to be prepared, whether it's adjusting trucks, an unexpected weather change, closing a cut, fixing a flat, get stuck and need to make impromptu camp, or having to take a sudden dump, I have what's needed and it's saved my own ass as often as it's helped out other people out. I also don't like to skate with stuff in my pockets so always have somewhere for my essentials: keys, phone, knife, smokes, lighter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of people know the value of a good pack, especially those who don't hop in a car to go wherever they need to go, and they definitely are not all created equal. At any given time I have shoelaces, tools, telescopic tire pump, extra hardware from bolts to bearings, an umbrella, flashlight, first aid kit, basic survival gear like fish line+hooks and 2 foil emergency blankets (shelter+insulation), a rain poncho, small towel, a thermal shirt, gloves & beanie, extra socks, travel toiletries and some TP, a power bank phone charger, protein bars, and water. All that is in the bag pictured below and there's still room left over inside for a small load of groceries plus whatever can be strapped to it. I use the skateboard straps more for other stuff than actually carrying my board, like to put things like a 20lb bag of cat food or litter on my back and bike home with it.

Skate companies make good backpacks because many skateboards need/use backpacks. Aside from daily use my AH backpack has taken the place of my MOLLE pack for any camping/hiking trips under 4 days. It has bedroll straps and the skateboard straps work great for carrying a 3-person tent+poles and campfire tripod grill.

Anyway, thanks for the serious responses. I'm really liking a couple of the Dakine ones. Poler actually has some decent looking packs, but saving a bit and getting a Chrome might be the way to go. If only the Cardiel Fortnight bag looks sick but for less $$, more customization/carry options, and more features like welded seams they have the bigger version of the one pictured a few posts up. Looks about perfect. It's already set up to add horizontal buckle straps as needed to carry a deck (or bag of cat food, whatever). I wasn't planning on dropping $160 but definitely looks worth it so I think my mind is made up: Chrome Excusion 37.
http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/bags/backpacks/excursion-rolltop-37

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:31:29 PM by Schismatic »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

not really.. i've been through a fair share of bags and a lot are shit.. In my experience most ones with skate straps won't last long- zippers break, stitches tear.. I use North face- just make sure not to get the ones at the outlets cause they don't honor any kinda warranty like they usually do

Seems to be a focus on 'skate branded' ones.

Of course North Face gear is going to be better than say, an Anti-Hero backpack ;)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
Burton life time guarantee is the truth! The high cascade shred shred scout holds your laptop, board, and tons of books/three nights of clothing and an extra pair of shoes. Rain guard fold out rain guard, beer holder, weed pocket, refrigerated detachable lunch box, felt lined sunglasses spot. Padded as fuck and good cross support so it's great to skate with. Only backpack I would ever buy if I ever have to buy one again but I don't because they will just keep replacing parts until it's a new bag or just replace the entire bag. Also doesn't rip. Broke one zipper in 5 years and they replaced it with a better one within a week.

Added pick. More square on top than pic alludes.
[backpack picture]
I actually have the exact one as pictured. Really good, sturdy material; good straps/support, and you can fit a ton of stuff in it.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
Find an old/older Dakine. I'm still using mine (Dakine Team backpack). I'd recommend eBay or Amazon. I'd recommend this one.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »
It's not as functional....and I doesn't carry a board very well....but my polar fanny pack has done wonders for my credibility....