Author Topic: Rob Pluhowski's furniture  (Read 5619 times)

rs312

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Rob Pluhowski's furniture
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:12 AM »

SHARKEISHA

• Rep: -3
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »
;) Hokay you do know you furniture^

I heard Forrest Kirby used to have a furniture shop back in the day with some other skaters...

Rob killing it!

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Nice stuff. It's a bummer that nice and timeless furniture can be quite pricey.
[close]

It really is. I would love to afford some furniture pieces but I am afraid to even get into this type of stuff as it just gets expensive. Even Pepper's lamps are up to a grand. Must be cool to know how to make all that.
To be fair, there are usually reasons why these things are priced how they are. Quality and timeless usually come from craft and material, all of which shoot not only the price, but the value, way up.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »
^^^Very true. I would think most of the cost is just from labor alone. I remember trying to make a fun box from scratch. Couldn't even get that shit all leveled out.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »

Using something as iconic as a Herman Miller Airia desk to "borrow" for a design is pretty suspect. Furniture isn't like contemporary art where appropriation and quoting is an established mode. This is just a really nice knock-off.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »

Using something as iconic as a Herman Miller Airia desk to "borrow" for a design is pretty suspect. Furniture isn't like contemporary art where appropriation and quoting is an established mode. This is just a really nice knock-off.
I'd agree with that, wonder what the price difference is? I don't have the energy to look it up right now.

And Fongstar, I took some furniture design courses when I was getting my degree, just two, as electives, and it's really really difficult to get everything precise without using computers to do all the measuring for you. The actual craft just comes from experience. I didn't do very well in those classes.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
The real Mccoy is $2200, but made on an assembly line. An all walnut hand-crafted version would be far, far more.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 07:10:01 PM »
It's like if a Canal St. LV bag was hand made with really nice leather. Kinda dumb, Rob. Work with a designer, and make something fresh.

SHARKEISHA

• Rep: -3
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
Knock off or inspired by? All great designers borrow from each other. If you are a real contemporary furniture buff then you would know that. That is how design trends work you see something similar.