Author Topic: Antihero: Destination Unknown  (Read 21425 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Antihero: Destination Unknown
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
well skating a lot of downhill "a la magenta" is actually my plan now that my foot is healed! unfortunately it's supposed to start snowing today or tomorrow and winter is just starting so........

anyways I'd be curious to see the Gerwer hill in person! the one time I came to SF the hills shocked me, video doesn't do 'em justice.....

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »
well skating a lot of downhill "a la magenta" is actually my plan now that my foot is healed! unfortunately it's supposed to start snowing today or tomorrow and winter is just starting so........

anyways I'd be curious to see the Gerwer hill in person! the one time I came to SF the hills shocked me, video doesn't do 'em justice.....
Yeah I visited SF once with an exgirlfriend and, although I took my board and hit up a few parks, I never even considered trying to bomb any of those hills. I was more amazed by the sheer size and length of them than of the redwoods. Its crazy how most follow along filming while someone is bombing them doesn't capture how steep they are at all. I thought Franks was a pretty good angle though although Im thinking that was prolly only about half of the actual hill. Im assuming the bail at that point was planned???
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »
Does the use of the Deliverance music in the full pipe section mean that Julien is actually Inbred Jed?

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -109
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah I visited SF once with an exgirlfriend and, although I took my board and hit up a few parks, I never even considered trying to bomb any of those hills. I was more amazed by the sheer size and length of them than of the redwoods. Its crazy how most follow along filming while someone is bombing them doesn't capture how steep they are at all. I thought Franks was a pretty good angle though although Im thinking that was prolly only about half of the actual hill. Im assuming the bail at that point was planned???

Indeed that's the very top of Kearny Street if you do the second hill you blast into where like 4 major streets intersect with twice as much speed it's basically suicide

shark tits

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
according to wikipedia the motherfucker gerwer is 40! even if that's off, it can't be too far off. i forget the whole video except that hill. gerwer and oasis are gonna live forever. how fast? mach gerwer.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Expand Quote
this video was fucking awesome. made me want to go explore for spots in random ass places fail at dropping in on mega transition and then go camp. the HD video really helped make all the scenic spots pop. it kept me going wtf through the whole video.

dan wolfe totally killed it. that loud screech from chris phanners looong 5050 was siiick. sound was perfect, all the songs were great. it starts off a bit weird but then it hits it groove reallly quickly.

this video gave me the same feeling as the supreme video but without all the pretentious horseshit. like some mix between cherry and a beauty and the beast tour. seems like they actually like skating and it isnt something getting in the way of becoming socialite trash. the way they organized parts was awesome, its mostly them but with bits of everyone else. less confusing than cherry.

that hill bomb was nuts! gerwer is still a beast, more than the hill bomb all the legit street tricks were sick just because it was unexpected. i like that it was included.

theres literally too much good stuff to comment on,  its large transition and good vibes.

also this screencap of julien at the end explains my feelings on andy roy better than I can:

i would buy this video in a heart beat. hands down best video of the year. I would say Cherry seemed intimidating but Destination Unknown made me genuinely psyched to go do something.
[close]

i love how oyu thinnk anybody gives a fuck what yo uthink about anything

Beerkeg get back on SC2 I am in gold now and would love to shred
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Did anyone else really enjoy the cinematography especially in the intro, idk it was just perfectly combined with the song they choose and instantly got me psyched to watch the rest of the video.

Also did i miss the Andrew Allen footy? i was waiting for it.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
^He had a few tricks in Robbie Russo's part. I assume most of his (and Chris Pfanner's) footage is going towards the Vans video.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »
Did anyone else really enjoy the cinematography especially in the intro, idk it was just perfectly combined with the song they choose and instantly got me psyched to watch the rest of the video.

Also did i miss the Andrew Allen footy? i was waiting for it.

it was during the Robbie Russo/Siouxsie part, right before Phanner.  

Expand Quote
"JEFF, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
[close]

Hahaha, Grosso's laugh is priceless. I still remember Speed Freaks.

Best part!  Had me hysterical.. I actually hated Jeff Grosso for a long time after seeing Speed Freaks, he just seemed like such a kook.   So glad that subsided.... dude is the best a huge inspiration for those of us nearing 40 and getting a beer gut.

Funny to think of all the comments and 'anti-hero-doubters' over the last year or so (myself included)!!!  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:12:34 PM by bea! »

Phil

• Rep: -48
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
The only hype/announcement this video got came at the end of this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izu0Lnjs95U
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:26:31 AM by Phil »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:29:34 PM by snowman600 »

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
Real glad to see Andy and Frank come through as much as they did but everyone killed everything. I was initially a little wary knowing there wouldn't be that much Stranger and just the idea of an Anti Hero video w/o Cardiel shutting down every spot still seems weird but all the dudes plus Cocksparrer and GG and Siouxsie and closing with Raney and Peni... Whole thing was pretty phenomenal.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »

oh, there you are, skateboarding!

video of the year
hardly art, hardly starving

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »
From what I understand of Peabody, he would rather build parks with Grindline than pursue skateboard super-stardom.

olden intheway

« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »
So damn good.
Still trying to figure out why they wasted footy on Andy Roy riding a skateboard.
He's a great mascot and all but really? Stick to the demented drunkard routine.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
This is pretty much a perfect video. Great music.
Love how the slow mo and second angles are kept to a bare minimum.
I would pay money to see the Hewitt/Gerwer comedy duo in a nightclub.
It's great how even with all these new young tranny rippers; that there is still something really special about TNT. And you would think him and Pfanner are holding onto their best stuff for the Vans video. That should be nuts.
My only small complaint is Grant doing a fs 5.0 over the hip at Fort Miley. That is bordering on sacrilege in my book. Do it for fun or to pay homage; but don't film it and put it in a video. I'm sure he is capable of a fs tail or smith. Better yet, do a fs nosegrind tailgrab and take out your almost teammate.
Anyways, this video rules. And I will be watching it multiple times.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2014, 01:08:09 AM »
So damn good.
Still trying to figure out why they wasted footy on Andy Roy riding a skateboard.
Take another look at that Miller flip over the barrier.  I've always enjoyed his skating, even 20 years ago when he rode for Santa Cruz.  In all of his footage he looks so hyped and really giving his all to get a trick.  Dude seems like a nightmare to hang out with, but I like to watch the snuggle bandit ride his board.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »
It's great how even with all these new young tranny rippers; that there is still something really special about TNT. And you would think him and Pfanner are holding onto their best stuff for the Vans video. That should be nuts.

TNT's part was a welcome return to form. I had gotten the sense he had slowed considerably (and he probably has) but this was high quality stuff.

Seeing him skate at his peak (around the Tent City era) was truly an amazing thing. Completely instinctual, a new line every time, maybe bailing 5 times the entire day, going huge.

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »
so good.

olden intheway

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
So damn good.
[close]
Take another look at that Miller flip over the barrier.  I've always enjoyed his skating, even 20 years ago when he rode for Santa Cruz.  In all of his footage he looks so hyped and really giving his all to get a trick.  Dude seems like a nightmare to hang out with, but I like to watch the snuggle bandit ride his board.

Yeah that Miller flip is pretty sick.
Lots of dudes give their all and get hyped to skate, and that's a wonderful thing.
It all boils down to the old adage, "it's not what you know, it's who you know"

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
I hope TNT murders the Vans video. I know tranny has its rebirth within the past years but I want him to show these guys whats up. For whatever reason, his In Bloom part is in my top 10 skate parts. Just love the whole part with the song, the yells, and even his ender breaking that thing in the pool. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »
This is pretty much a perfect video. Great music.
Love how the slow mo and second angles are kept to a bare minimum.
I would pay money to see the Hewitt/Gerwer comedy duo in a nightclub.
My only small complaint is Grant doing a fs 5.0 over the hip at Fort Miley. That is bordering on sacrilege in my book. Do it for fun or to pay homage; but don't film it and put it in a video. I'm sure he is capable of a fs tail or smith. Better yet, do a fs nosegrind tailgrab and take out your almost teammate.
Anyways, this video rules. And I will be watching it multiple times.

Initially I saw it as in poor taste too, but the more I think about it/nerd out on it the more I believe it was done either to pay homage to Phil or done spontaneously and just happened to get caught on camera. The footage, for one, looks like it was filmed in the heat of the moment and possibly on an iphone. He might not have even known it was being filmed. I doubt the mode of thinking was "fuck yeah, gonna go to Miley and film this 5-0 that Phil Shao did 18+ years ago, and it'll definitely go in the new antihero video, and that'll show em all". From what I've read and heard, Grant more seems like a guy who doesn't care about formalities and just worries about skating things he wants to and having fun. Lastly, Grant didn't edit the video, Julien Stranger did (along with dan wolfe's help this time according to the credits). If anyone's to be criticized, its Julien, although he probably put it in thinking that it was some fucked good skating. If you wanna overanalyze it like me, consider that when Phil died Julien honored him in an ad saying "Goodbye Phil The Straight up Best Skater I Knew"; Julien clearly held Phil Shao's skating in high regard, so maybe putting the 5-0 in the video was a way of saying to the viewer (and phil) that grant is a boundlessly gifted skateboarder and possibly now the best skater Julien has ever known.

All that and from what I've read and watched Phil seems like the kinda guy that would have loved to see grant grind that bar, regardless of history

Edit: Honestly though, the 5-0 was probably put in the video because he did it so why not
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:19:52 PM by weaselhead »
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:14 AM »
Fucking awesome video.

I'd still rather watch Robbie over Raney any day though.