Author Topic: board kennel closing....  (Read 2866 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
board kennel closing....
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »

E.l.G

Re: board kennel closing....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:49:57 PM »
Shitty.

FFUR YLLIB

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
jon wests' shop am i right?
www.postcountdoesnotequaldicksize.com

"shut up bitch" - sheffledge

sebastian toombs

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
shitty.  wish i was there to pick over the bones...   i understand gary hasnt owned the shop for a while-- is that true jsoy?

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:55:15 PM »
gary still owns it. its his decision to shut it down. brad shephard and torey goodall own portions of it, but gary still has the majority and is tired of putting his money into it. i once bought shoes from antisocial because bk didnt carry vans, and ive always felt guilty. every thing skate related ive bought there over the past 8 years, i have 3 decks, 3 pairs of shoes, 3 sets of wheels and bearings waiting to be used, had to buy them because everything is at cost. it sucks an incredible amount, compounded by the fact that there is a west 49 opening 5 minutes from where it used to be located, and kids wont even blink an eye.
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »
hey, i never realized you are from the lower mainland stagefright! 

im from central burnaby.  in the late 90s and the early 2000s (until antisocial opened) the only shop i would pay cash at was the board kennel, though i would barter for gear at rds now and then.   im not a good friend of gary or anything-- i doubt he even knows my name.  but we would often talk at length about university, business, and so forth whenever i ran into him at the shop or in vancouver.   didnt he own the board kennel since he was 16 or something?   thats a long time, a lot of your life tied up to the boom-and-bust cycles of skateboarding's popularity, and its unpredictable trends.  i expect he had been weary about the whole enterprise for some time...   like skeptical about whether it was really what he wanted to be doing.   hard to stay motivated and enthusiastic for such a long time.   do you know what he is moving on to now?

anyway, rip board kennel, and i hope the white rock scene stays strong.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »
the white rock scene is dying or dead, on a nice summer day theres usually no more than 15 people in the park, and theres almost zero street spots around here. kids are coming up from here but are doing their skating elsewhere.

gary has owned a specialty shoe store downtown for a couple years now, and im not sure what else he is doing. ive never been there, but its called livestock. http://www.deadstock.ca/home.php
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »
thats so shitty to hear, i spent most of grade 12 hanging out in white rock (rather than at school!) and always remember what a positive perspective all the kids had.  jon west, spike, mike geiger, matt todd (counciller todd, i hear)...  that was when kids were just getting organized to lobby for the park.  couldnt skate the beach bump and the safeway parking lot forever...

FFUR YLLIB

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:01:51 PM »
www.postcountdoesnotequaldicksize.com

"shut up bitch" - sheffledge

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:09:30 PM »
gary opened up another shop, ie it sells clothes....i think he's kicking around the idea of opening up another store of some sort or two... not the board kennel though....