Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 974913 times)

Heshrat and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Omars_Dad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #3780 on: November 14, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
I've been skating bones swiss for a long time but the lifespan of my last set was totally shit. I just did not really feel like dropping $60 on another set to have them blow out again. Anyway, I'm pretty skeptical but I'm giving these G3's a whirl...anyone have any experience with them?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3781 on: November 14, 2019, 10:48:39 AM »
I've been skating bones swiss for a long time but the lifespan of my last set was totally shit. I just did not really feel like dropping $60 on another set to have them blow out again. Anyway, I'm pretty skeptical but I'm giving these G3's a whirl...anyone have any experience with them?

Yes, worst bearings I ever had. Total crap.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Omars_Dad

« Reply #3782 on: November 14, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

god damnit

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #3783 on: November 14, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

god damnit

Have you tried cleaning your set of swiss? mine slowed down after about 3 months of light use so I cleaned them according to bones instructions with acetone in the cleaner kit and applied two drops of speed cream each. They like new now.

I had a set of Bronson and they were the worst bearings I've ever had.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Omars_Dad

« Reply #3784 on: November 14, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

god damnit
[close]

Have you tried cleaning your set of swiss? mine slowed down after about 3 months of light use so I cleaned them according to bones instructions with acetone in the cleaner kit and applied two drops of speed cream each. They like new now.

It's not so much that they get too dirty, I've had luck with cleaning some of them...it's that i've just destroyed the crown that holds the balls in place. Right now I've got a mix of chunky rolling swiss and reds going. Kind of a bummer you guys have had such shit experiences with these, hopefully they've improved since you last skated them

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #3785 on: November 14, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
Bronson makes fine bearings. Don't trip. Of course Swiss is better but for under 30 g3s are legit.

Omars_Dad

« Reply #3786 on: November 14, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »
Bronson makes fine bearings. Don't trip. Of course Swiss is better but for under 30 g3s are legit.

Awesome, thanks graypubes :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3787 on: November 14, 2019, 12:16:46 PM »
Bronson G3s are by far the worst bearings I've ever had. Crowns in pieces in half of the bearings after skating low impact stuff for a few months. Complete waste of money. Also no reply from them when I complained about them being so shit. So fuck Bronson forever.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3788 on: November 14, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
My G3 lasted me really 3 sessions. That damn black metal ring got fucked up and pretty much raped the bearing causing a full stop and then shit just exploded.
Never again anything from Bronson.
Hopefully you won't have the same issue
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

baggy spandex

« Reply #3789 on: November 14, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

god damnit
[close]

[close]

It's not so much that they get too dirty, I've had luck with cleaning some of them...it's that i've just destroyed the crown that holds the balls in place. Right now I've got a mix of chunky rolling swiss and reds going. Kind of a bummer you guys have had such shit experiences with these, hopefully they've improved since you last skated them

You might try reaching out to Bones about your issue with their cages. I broke two cages on a month-old set of Swiss and reached out to them and they sent me replacements, albeit with some hesitation, after verifying I bought the bearings from an authorized dealer.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3790 on: November 14, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
Bronson G3s are by far the worst bearings I've ever had. Crowns in pieces in half of the bearings after skating low impact stuff for a few months. Complete waste of money. Also no reply from them when I complained about them being so shit. So fuck Bronson forever.

Same deal here. Month of super low impact stuff resulting in shattered crowns in half the bearings. I didn't bother with customer service though, no desire to have anymore of those things in my life.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3791 on: November 14, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
Stay away from Bronson and all of these crap brands like Andale. If you don't want to spend money, go for the Bones Big Balls. Best value so far. It's not as good as the Swiss, but they hold very well compared to Reds or Super Reds.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3792 on: November 14, 2019, 04:41:47 PM »

Those things are trash, I’m always bones Swiss but I had one set of those in a cruise and they blew out pretty quick. Maybe try cleaning your Swiss, it’s a pain in the ass but worth it .

baggy spandex

« Reply #3793 on: November 14, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
Those things are trash, I’m always bones Swiss but I had one set of those in a cruise and they blew out pretty quick. Maybe try cleaning your Swiss, it’s a pain in the ass but worth it .

I've never actually tried cleaning bearings before to get more life out of them. What's the best (i.e. safe/environmentally responsible) way to dispose of the acetone after cleaning?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #3794 on: November 14, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
Decided to spontaneously order a Sony TRV900 last night. It's not the illustrious VX1 but I'm really excited to have something of my own to go out with.

Well, my camera showed up today and it turns out the guy mislabeled it. Not a TRV900. oops

I'm sending it back tomorrow and I already found another deal for a CONFIRMED TRV900.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3795 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Been hearing good things about Red Big Balls, slightly more expensive than Bones Reds but faster and more durable than Bronson ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3796 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »

I've never actually tried cleaning bearings before to get more life out of them. What's the best (i.e. safe/environmentally responsible) way to dispose of the acetone after cleaning?

Few different methods, some greener than others. Obviously the best would be to bring it to a hazardous materials depot site. But if that's not an option, acetone will evaporate relatively quickly in open air. You can also drop pieces of paper towel in the container, let them dry out and bin them. But I personally find that acetone is quite reusable - especially for light work like cleaning bearings. I just keep my used stuff in a mason jar and re-use for next time.

Also, if your bearings arent that fucked and you don't want to mess with heavier chemicals you can try rubbing alcohol.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #3797 on: November 14, 2019, 08:40:58 PM »
been rollin on a set of Swiss since 2015... clean em out once a year with acetone and always use a bit of speed cream on em...

the shields have bent a little but the crowns and other things are totally fine

its really interesting the different reviews we all post but the most things ive seen about bronsons is never positive..
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3798 on: November 15, 2019, 04:22:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Few different methods, some greener than others. Obviously the best would be to bring it to a hazardous materials depot site. But if that's not an option, acetone will evaporate relatively quickly in open air. You can also drop pieces of paper towel in the container, let them dry out and bin them. But I personally find that acetone is quite reusable - especially for light work like cleaning bearings. I just keep my used stuff in a mason jar and re-use for next time.

Also, if your bearings arent that fucked and you don't want to mess with heavier chemicals you can try rubbing alcohol.

Want to add that I've been keeping the same couple sets of reds alive for like 2+ years cleaning with 90% alcohol.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3799 on: November 15, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Want to add that I've been keeping the same couple sets of reds alive for like 2+ years cleaning with 90% alcohol.
Do you add speed lube after? I'm curious if I could just clean them without lubing afterwards. Or would that break them down?

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3800 on: November 15, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
I've had my set of swiss for around 3 years, I just clean by shaking in a container with 90+% alcohol, dry them out, and relube with speed cream. Still rolling like a charm.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3801 on: November 15, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you add speed lube after? I'm curious if I could just clean them without lubing afterwards. Or would that break them down?

I've always lubed them afterwards. Alcohol evaporates pretty quickly but I've just never wanted to take the chance.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3802 on: November 15, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Make sure to add some speed cream after. One to two drops is normally what I do and then I spin it around between my fingers a bit to spread it out a bit. Then later after I put everything back together, I'll kick spin the wheels to spread it out even more. Dry metal on metal = no bueno.

B0udoir

« Reply #3803 on: November 15, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »
Maybe not the right place to ask, but is it a good idea to clean the bearings in Acetone with the shields still on? I would like to clean my Swiss but as I always mess and bend the shields when I'm removing them, I don't want to damage the Swiss. Basically the question is: does the rubber shields will get damaged by Acetone ?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3804 on: November 15, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
Maybe not the right place to ask, but is it a good idea to clean the bearings in Acetone with the shields still on? I would like to clean my Swiss but as I always mess and bend the shields when I'm removing them, I don't want to damage the Swiss. Basically the question is: does the rubber shields will get damaged by Acetone ?
Apparently is not the ideal but I've never had any issues so far.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #3805 on: November 15, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »

Easiest way to remove shields: grab a needle and poke them out through the other side.  :)

B0udoir

« Reply #3806 on: November 15, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »
Easiest way to remove shields: grab a needle and poke them out through the other side.  :)

Damn it's so obvious that I never thought about that way. I was always trying to squeeze through the shield so as to use the needle as a lever.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #3807 on: November 15, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »

def take off the shields first. i use an opened safety pin to push out the shield from opposite side w/o a shield.
push thru the space in the cage to pop the shield out. i dulled the tip of the safety pin on some old grip first, and i keep that safety pin with my bearing tool goodies.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3808 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
Thunder 147 Team Lights (Shane O'neil) - $30, barely used
Blank setup with 52mm Spitfire Classics - $15, barely used, price alone was worth it for the wheels, will sell off the rest of the stuff for parts of give it to someone at the park

Getting the bits ready for a fresh Traffic setup tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:23:05 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Smartass

« Reply #3809 on: November 15, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »
Thunder 147 Team Lights (Shane O'neil) - $30, barely used
Blank setup with 52mm Spitfire Classics - $15, barely used, price alone was worth it for the wheels, will sell off the rest of the stuff for parts of give it to someone at the park

Getting the bits ready for a fresh Traffic setup tomorrow.

Damn sounds like a really good come up. Especially the classics for $15.