Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 980230 times)

ohthembones

Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #3810 on: November 16, 2019, 12:38:49 AM »
There's been no Thunder 147's available here (Okinawa) for about 4-5 months time so when I went to the shop today to see if they got any of those or Spitfire Radials all I noticed was the walls full of old and mostly unwanted Dwindle (I still love Enjoi) and Santa Cruz decks, one Frog deck, a nearly empty truck case (except for Indy) and other than one set of black Lock-Ins, a completely empty and dusty Spitfire shelf. I wish they carried more variety because whenever DLX misses shipments (which has been happening a lot lately) the shop looks pitiful, for months... The guy working today basically said "DLX can slurp (or suck) my butt (loosely translated), they keep screwing us over and only send soft goods and shitty black wheels since summer months". I told him not to put all your eggs in one basket but I think that went right over his head and stuck to the wall of shitty decks.

I order some things from the US but the shipping and time it takes to get here is somewhat of an expensive bummer.

(Duh duh duh!) Then, all of the sudden, a box behind the counter....two sets of trucks I have never seen before (in person) spotted out of the corner of my eye! A black set and a silver set of the new Tensor Mag Lights with the updated geometry. 5.5 models too, just what I need size-wise!

So, after my long, whiny and complaint filled story. I got a set of Tensors to try out on an Alien Workshop 8"/14.25"WB or a Theories 8.125"/14.25"WB to see how these things are. I hope I like them because they were really fucking expensive!!! Good god damn they were expensive! I paid the equivalent of $128.00 US dollars for a set of China trucks!

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3811 on: November 16, 2019, 02:56:52 AM »
Damnnnn, crossing fingers for those to be the best trucks ever
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3812 on: November 16, 2019, 07:00:39 AM »
There's been no Thunder 147's available here (Okinawa) for about 4-5 months time so when I went to the shop today to see if they got any of those or Spitfire Radials all I noticed was the walls full of old and mostly unwanted Dwindle (I still love Enjoi) and Santa Cruz decks, one Frog deck, a nearly empty truck case (except for Indy) and other than one set of black Lock-Ins, a completely empty and dusty Spitfire shelf. I wish they carried more variety because whenever DLX misses shipments (which has been happening a lot lately) the shop looks pitiful, for months... The guy working today basically said "DLX can slurp (or suck) my butt (loosely translated), they keep screwing us over and only send soft goods and shitty black wheels since summer months". I told him not to put all your eggs in one basket but I think that went right over his head and stuck to the wall of shitty decks.

I order some things from the US but the shipping and time it takes to get here is somewhat of an expensive bummer.

(Duh duh duh!) Then, all of the sudden, a box behind the counter....two sets of trucks I have never seen before (in person) spotted out of the corner of my eye! A black set and a silver set of the new Tensor Mag Lights with the updated geometry. 5.5 models too, just what I need size-wise!

So, after my long, whiny and complaint filled story. I got a set of Tensors to try out on an Alien Workshop 8"/14.25"WB or a Theories 8.125"/14.25"WB to see how these things are. I hope I like them because they were really fucking expensive!!! Good god damn they were expensive! I paid the equivalent of $128.00 US dollars for a set of China trucks!

Those are some sexy looking trucks. The skateshop I grew up patronizing has a really tiny selection of trucks. They only carry Indys (139-159, hollow or standard), some Santa Cruz decks, Mini Logo, Bones and Powell stuff. Other odds and ends includes a Hollywood board (remember those from the late 2000s), 2 Black Label boards, 1 BLVD and a very early Sierra Fellers pro board. They had a competitive selection in the 1990 - 2000s but just lost distributors over the years and didn't change their product line up with the times; which makes it hard to keep supporting them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3813 on: November 16, 2019, 07:16:45 AM »
But, but there’s so many good skate shops in Japan that ship anywhere domestically for orders over $100...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ohthembones

« Reply #3814 on: November 16, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »
Damnnnn, crossing fingers for those to be the best trucks ever

Thanks! I hope so too!

ohthembones

« Reply #3815 on: November 16, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »
Those are some sexy looking trucks. The skateshop I grew up patronizing has a really tiny selection of trucks. They only carry Indys (139-159, hollow or standard), some Santa Cruz decks, Mini Logo, Bones and Powell stuff. Other odds and ends includes a Hollywood board (remember those from the late 2000s), 2 Black Label boards, 1 BLVD and a very early Sierra Fellers pro board. They had a competitive selection in the 1990 - 2000s but just lost distributors over the years and didn't change their product line up with the times; which makes it hard to keep supporting them.

That's a bummer about your local shop. I'm envious of mainland Japan, they have so many good shops!

ohthembones

« Reply #3816 on: November 16, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
But, but there’s so many good skate shops in Japan that ship anywhere domestically for orders over $100...

Yes, there are...in Japan (mainland). I'm in Okinawa. Shipping here from mainland for say something like a deck costs more than it does from the US when you figure in the current exchange rate, tariff, price difference and air shipping to Okinawa. I also have to pay a delivery fee for large items shipped within Japan as our mail carriers ride small motorcycles with bins on the back. They do not charge this additional fee for Internationally shipped parcel since a tariff is already charged. If I order from Tactics the International Shipping + Tariff and price difference is much less than the cost of shipping from mainland and is usually here in under two weeks. For example a deck in the shop in Okinawa typically costs around ¥10,000 about $92.00 US dollars. I can buy a deck from Tactics, pay for international shipping and tariff and it will cost me around $75.00 to $80.00 US dollars. Shipping a board from mainland Japan from someplace like Prime Tokyo would cost me around ¥14,000-¥15,000 ($128.00 to $138.00 US) depending on deck price plus special delivery fee. So mainland is actually the most expensive option by far. I would much prefer to pay just a little more than the US price to buy and support at my local shop but they are having a hard time getting the things skaters really want through distributors so I have to mail order many things. Regarding the shortage of Thunder 147's, this seems to be a worldwide thing as it is with Spitfire because I called a couple shops on mainland and they don't have them either. Hence the Tensors...

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #3817 on: November 16, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, there are...in Japan (mainland). I'm in Okinawa. Shipping here from mainland for say something like a deck costs more than it does from the US when you figure in the current exchange rate, tariff, price difference and air shipping to Okinawa. I also have to pay a delivery fee for large items shipped within Japan as our mail carriers ride small motorcycles with bins on the back. They do not charge this additional fee for Internationally shipped parcel since a tariff is already charged. If I order from Tactics the International Shipping + Tariff and price difference is much less than the cost of shipping from mainland and is usually here in under two weeks. For example a deck in the shop in Okinawa typically costs around ¥10,000 about $92.00 US dollars. I can buy a deck from Tactics, pay for international shipping and tariff and it will cost me around $75.00 to $80.00 US dollars. Shipping a board from mainland Japan from someplace like Prime Tokyo would cost me around ¥14,000-¥15,000 ($128.00 to $138.00 US) depending on deck price plus special delivery fee. So mainland is actually the most expensive option by far. I would much prefer to pay just a little more than the US price to buy and support at my local shop but they are having a hard time getting the things skaters really want through distributors so I have to mail order many things. Regarding the shortage of Thunder 147's, this seems to be a worldwide thing as it is with Spitfire because I called a couple shops on mainland and they don't have them either. Hence the Tensors...

How's skating in Okinawa? I was only there for a couple days and mainly stuck to the beaches and peoples sushi.

ohthembones

« Reply #3818 on: November 16, 2019, 04:25:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How's skating in Okinawa? I was only there for a couple days and mainly stuck to the beaches and peoples sushi.

The asphalt is mostly very rough and slippery and there's lots of sewer grates everywhere so cruising around can be challenging. There's a couple of concrete parks like Ginowan and Gushikawa that are okay. They are all concrete but it is all above ground and somewhat poorly designed. Haebaru is all above ground pre-fab ramps and usually full of American military dependents who love to leave trash and cigarettes everywhere and love to start fights for some reason so we avoid it. If you can get on the US bases and deal with the kids, scooters and have a helmet they have some okay parks but it's all that above ground pre-fab metal stuff too. A lot of parks are really hidden, I drove by one up north near Nago I had no idea existed but it was all pre-fab, nothing unique. Skating hasn't gotten quite as huge in Okinawa like it has in mainland. I hope someday we get a proper concrete park with bowls and such though. We have a few spots we frequent with some decent ledges or nice inclines but either get kicked out or there's too many parked cars. My friend has a portable rail and kicker we take to some more open parking lots. There's a lot of spots at or near the resorts that line the Western Coast further up north but you get kicked out quick. The further away you get from Naha, the easier it is to find more open spots that aren't usually aren't watched. There's some good spots around some of the schools. So, it's no skaters paradise but I'm sure there are many who have it much worse so we manage and keep trying to find new spots.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you are here again then Gushikawa is my favorite of the parks. It's in Uruma by a large gym so it's easy to park and isn't usually too crowded.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:58:27 PM by ohthembones »

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3819 on: November 16, 2019, 05:30:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The asphalt is mostly very rough and slippery and there's lots of sewer grates everywhere so cruising around can be challenging. There's a couple of concrete parks like Ginowan and Gushikawa that are okay. They are all concrete but it is all above ground and somewhat poorly designed. Haebaru is all above ground pre-fab ramps and usually full of American military dependents who love to leave trash and cigarettes everywhere and love to start fights for some reason so we avoid it. If you can get on the US bases and deal with the kids, scooters and have a helmet they have some okay parks but it's all that above ground pre-fab metal stuff too. A lot of parks are really hidden, I drove by one up north near Nago I had no idea existed but it was all pre-fab, nothing unique. Skating hasn't gotten quite as huge in Okinawa like it has in mainland. I hope someday we get a proper concrete park with bowls and such though. We have a few spots we frequent with some decent ledges or nice inclines but either get kicked out or there's too many parked cars. My friend has a portable rail and kicker we take to some more open parking lots. There's a lot of spots at or near the resorts that line the Western Coast further up north but you get kicked out quick. The further away you get from Naha, the easier it is to find more open spots that aren't usually aren't watched. There's some good spots around some of the schools. So, it's no skaters paradise but I'm sure there are many who have it much worse so we manage and keep trying to find new spots.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you are here again then Gushikawa is my favorite of the parks. It's in Uruma by a large gym so it's easy to park and isn't usually too crowded.
wow after reading all that I’m never complaining about the rain in Oregon again, tons of cement parks and tactics is a hour away.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3820 on: November 16, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »
The ATG Tensors are fantastic trucks. Really. They carve great in bowls and very responsive street-wise. Stable with stock bushings, which are medium/hard, less stable using bones softs (bone mediums would probably be the jam).

I've been on mine for 2+ weeks, and the more I skate them (8.25"s) the more they feel like quicker Indys crossed with carvy Thunders (after swapping out for Bones Softs, stock bushings are too hard for my taste); the mag lites grind like butter and are stupid light )+ no baseplate length issues if that's your pain.

Severely underrated, and I don't think they'll ever shake the stigma they've built over the years. An aluminum hollow would be sweet but due to the lack of popularity they just went opposite ends of the spectrum.

HOWEVER, I set up some new, stock ACEs today on a wider ride (wide, low + skinny 52mm wheels) and man...fuck you, ACE! You make is so hard not to love that turn...(one half turn looser than stock) plus I anytime I get on 55mm trucks (like the Tensors) I lose my sense of stability.

MADNESS.

The only odd thing about those Tensors is the weight, they really just might be too light, especially if you grind a lot,  they just have this 'hollow' feeling to them when in contact with anything (if you skate standard trucks and grind pool coping, crubs or ledges, you'd hate the way these feel).

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #3821 on: November 16, 2019, 10:22:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info man. I'll keep that in mind, while me and my buddies were there we noticed the military presence. My Japanese friends was telling me the locals aren't too fond of them cause of the bullshit you mentioned. I saved a 2000 yen note from the last time I was there so I should go over again to spend it all on sushi.

Also Xens description of the tensor trucks is pretty apt. I was hesitant when I got a pair of ATGs but so far they've been my perfect truck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3822 on: November 16, 2019, 11:22:46 PM »
The ATG Tensors are fantastic trucks. Really. They carve great in bowls and very responsive street-wise. Stable with stock bushings, which are medium/hard, less stable using bones softs (bone mediums would probably be the jam).

I've been on mine for 2+ weeks, and the more I skate them (8.25"s) the more they feel like quicker Indys crossed with carvy Thunders (after swapping out for Bones Softs, stock bushings are too hard for my taste); the mag lites grind like butter and are stupid light )+ no baseplate length issues if that's your pain.

Severely underrated, and I don't think they'll ever shake the stigma they've built over the years. An aluminum hollow would be sweet but due to the lack of popularity they just went opposite ends of the spectrum.

HOWEVER, I set up some new, stock ACEs today on a wider ride (wide, low + skinny 52mm wheels) and man...fuck you, ACE! You make is so hard not to love that turn...(one half turn looser than stock) plus I anytime I get on 55mm trucks (like the Tensors) I lose my sense of stability.

MADNESS.

The only odd thing about those Tensors is the weight, they really just might be too light, especially if you grind a lot,  they just have this 'hollow' feeling to them when in contact with anything (if you skate standard trucks and grind pool coping, crubs or ledges, you'd hate the way these feel).

Did you check out what it does to the Wheelbase? Most my board and deck combinations have an axle to axle wheelbase of between 17.19 - 17.9, I feel like 17.3 - 17.5 might be the sweet spot for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #3823 on: November 17, 2019, 08:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote

MADNESS.

[close]

Did you check out what it does to the Wheelbase? Most my board and deck combinations have an axle to axle wheelbase of between 17.19 - 17.9, I feel like 17.3 - 17.5 might be the sweet spot for me.

I don't have measurements on hand but it widens the wheelbase compared to ACEs or indys however it's slightly narrower than thunder so the wheels don't touch on slides. I really like this as a taller dude.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #3824 on: November 18, 2019, 01:02:32 AM »
That fucking rumor got me going crazy - there was also a 11/11 sale (black friday for china retail) where i got spits for cheap like $25 and i got an opened pack for like $15

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3825 on: November 19, 2019, 04:59:58 PM »
So what’s the deal with Japanese skate brands?

Of course you have your own domestic brands but is it like Australia where shit is last to get newest hottest trends from the states? ie latest gear ?

I have wanted to go to check it out, just to experience it from a locals perspective not a tourist kook.

Where’s the spots for punk/metal venues? Is there a local park where people meet up? Much like Lolita, Kawaii Harijuku?
Dueces Bitch's

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3826 on: November 19, 2019, 06:03:17 PM »
That fucking rumor got me going crazy - there was also a 11/11 sale (black friday for china retail) where i got spits for cheap like $25 and i got an opened pack for like $15

Good find, which site did you use?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3827 on: November 20, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
Got a friend who owns a skateshop and has his own boards too. I got some of them to sell it in the town that I'm currently living since here there is no skateshop at all.
Nice BBS boards. Will setup a smaller than usual one now. Pretty stoked.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3828 on: November 21, 2019, 06:22:20 AM »

Got them for 23 bucks with shipping. Yes please.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #3829 on: November 24, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
GF hooked it up, she got it cause she liked the duck graphic. Haven't skated a DSM board since I was a kid, let alone a palace board so I'm curious how long it'll last. I fucking LOVE the shape though. The concave is really even and progressive, where I find most boards feel like they have distinct flat and angled parts. The wheelbase is 14.5 which I like as a taller dude (honestly I never check dimensions when I get a board, I just stand on them in the shop and get whatever feels good). The width is 8.5 but it's tapered so flip tricks feel fine, I  actually like the extra room and don't notice the size increase otherwise, hopefully it doesn't shit the bed.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3830 on: November 24, 2019, 02:23:04 PM »
Hopefully it will be good, I hated the only palace I skated.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #3831 on: November 24, 2019, 02:56:01 PM »
Hopefully it will be good, I hated the only palace I skated.

Thanks, yeah I'm concerned but also curious about the durability.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3832 on: November 24, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
GF hooked it up, she got it cause she liked the duck graphic. Haven't skated a DSM board since I was a kid, let alone a palace board so I'm curious how long it'll last. I fucking LOVE the shape though. The concave is really even and progressive, where I find most boards feel like they have distinct flat and angled parts. The wheelbase is 14.5 which I like as a taller dude (honestly I never check dimensions when I get a board, I just stand on them in the shop and get whatever feels good). The width is 8.5 but it's tapered so flip tricks feel fine, I  actually like the extra room and don't notice the size increase otherwise, hopefully it doesn't shit the bed.

that graphic is way too good for Dwindle wood.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #3833 on: November 25, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »

Just got this Jenny deck. It's got the perfect dims (8x31.5, 14" wb) but apparently it's Control wood which has a bad reputation. So that plus the fact that I really like the graphic and it'll be hard to find again is making me wonder if I should save it.

Also bought the Lakai Newports that Nico Hiraga designed a colourway for, the all-white ones with the rose blossoms. The commercial sucked but the shoes are lovely in my opinion.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3834 on: November 26, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So what’s the deal with Japanese skate brands?

Of course you have your own domestic brands but is it like Australia where shit is last to get newest hottest trends from the states? ie latest gear ?

I have wanted to go to check it out, just to experience it from a locals perspective not a tourist kook.

Where’s the spots for punk/metal venues? Is there a local park where people meet up? Much like Lolita, Kawaii Harijuku?

sorry, I only SLAP on my phone lately so it was taking me a while to reply.
No, Japan (and this just doesn't apply to skating) is really quick at getting good product from a huge range of brands. Japanese people tend to be quite particular about stuff so you can pretty much find skaters that are into every genre/ brand/ sub-culture within skating. Lots of indie brands get a lot of love here!

I mean if you come and find some skaters, they'll probably be down to show you around. Despite the olympics etc. skating is still somewhat "underground" over here, sure not as much as it was 20 years ago but it's still not oversaturated like it is in some countries.

my days of going to gigs are pretty much over at age 40 but there are defs punk pockets or punk neighborhoods in the bigger cities (I live in a rural area these days). Anti-knock in Shinjuku was THE place to go to for shows back in the day and Koenji as a neighborhood was pretty much a punk's wet dream ... probably gentrified these days I'm guessing?

As for your Lolita/ Kawaii question, they are both two things that I have absolutely no interest in but I will say Harajuku isn't like it was in the year 2000, shit was like halloween every weekend, nowadays it just another shopping district in Tokyo with nothing really unique to offer save for a few boutiques that have stood the test of time.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:39:08 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3835 on: November 27, 2019, 06:32:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that graphic is way too good for Dwindle wood.
They board looks incredible

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3836 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:25 PM »
Can’t wait to skate these

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3837 on: November 29, 2019, 09:02:58 PM »
Pulled the trigger and got some Thunder 147’s and a Spitfire long sleeve tee. Waiting to set the trucks up until I can get some new wheels but the Black Friday deal I got was too good to not get them now

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3838 on: December 01, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
Just bought my younger brother his first skateboard for Christmas. He’s 23 years old and has always preferred team sports over action sports.  I was the one skating, biking and skiing while he was playing basketball, football and baseball.  He has been showing a lot of interest in skating lately and has actually learned a lot about the culture through The Nine Club, talking with me, chilling a few times at the local park when I skate, etc. which is so dope to see.

Deck: Theories New Religion 8.5” x 32.25” x 14.5”
Grip: Classic Black MOB
Trucks: Indy Stage 11 149 Standards (Raw)
Wheels: 54mm Ricta Clouds 92a
Bearings: Bones Reds Big Balls
Hardware: Diamond Supply Boo Johnson 7/8 Allen

The Ricta Clouds in 92a seem like a solid beginner wheel.  Especially in the Midwest with our super crusty ground.  He seemed most worried about cracks and stop rocks but wants to learn some tricks so I figured these in 54mm would be great. Plus if he doesn’t like them for what he chooses to do then he can still keep them or give them to me as a cruiser/filmer wheel.

He also mentioned how much he loved this graphic when I looked at decks with him so that made it an easy choice. Perfect dimensions (he found my 8.0 and 8.25s too short but liked the 32.25 and 32.375 lengths) and BBS wood. BBS lasts so long so I can’t think of a better woodshop for a first board.

He also mentioned liking the one gold bolt look and liking Allen more than Phillips along with liking white wheels, black grip and raw trucks so I think he’s going to love everything here.

I’m so pumped to give it to him this Christmas.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:45:02 PM by Woos »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3839 on: December 01, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
Just bought my younger brother his first skateboard for Christmas. He’s 23 years old and has always preferred team sports over action sports.  I was the one skating, biking and skiing while he was playing basketball, football and baseball.  He has been showing a lot of interest in skating lately and has actually learned a lot about the culture through The Nine Club, talking with me, chilling a few times at the local park when I skate, etc. which is so dope to see.

Deck: Theories New Religion 8.5” x 32.25” x 14.5”
Grip: Classic Black MOB
Trucks: Indy Stage 11 149 Standards (Raw)
Wheels: 54mm Ricta Clouds 92a
Bearings: Bones Reds Big Balls
Hardware: Diamond Supply Boo Johnson 7/8 Allen

He tried the 8.0 and 8.25 I had with me and found the 8.25 decent but wanted bigger since he’s over 6’ tall, muscular/bulky and has size 13 feet so I figured we’d start him with an 8.5.  The 149s are nice and tall and will allow him to go down to an 8.25 or 8.3 if he decides to.  Plus they fit that deck shape and WB well.  He also picked the graphic when we were looking at boards. I just narrowed down the results to 8.5”-8.6” x 32-32.5” x 14.5-14.75” and BBS, PS and Chapman wood.

The Ricta Clouds in 92a seem like a solid beginner wheel.  Especially in the Midwest with our super crusty ground.  He seemed most worried about cracks and stop rocks but wants to learn some tricks so I figured these in 54mm would be great. Plus if he doesn’t like them for what he chooses to do then he can still keep them or give them to me as a cruiser/filmer wheel.

I’m so pumped to give it to him this Christmas.

you get my BOTY vote
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo