Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 975826 times)

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #6000 on: January 28, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
Should be set for a bit

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:05:49 PM by kimura »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6001 on: January 28, 2021, 10:12:58 PM »
Should be set for a bit

I tried that but it's a pain to cut them sheet by sheet, went with a box of pre-cut instead.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6002 on: January 28, 2021, 11:06:33 PM »
Found a pair of New Balance 868s to add to the collection for $50.
When the 868 was live in production, I liked them but they felt way too tech and bulky for me so I never tried, but now....oh I would have loved those/would love them now! I have some 1010s that I chill in (until they break in) and just know that the 868 would have been a dream if I gave them a shot.

Good score!!
Super Champion Fun Zone

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #6003 on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »
Still blows my mind that people waste money on G3s

I've seen them on sale for about 20 bucks. Definitely worth that price.

kimura

« Reply #6004 on: January 29, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Should be set for a bit

[close]

I tried that but it's a pain to cut them sheet by sheet, went with a box of pre-cut instead.

I looked at that option but it’s twice as much.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #6005 on: January 29, 2021, 08:47:46 AM »
Should be set for a bit

got one of these recently too.  love it.  i like cutting my grip into 90s squares, so I save a lot of grip this way. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6006 on: January 29, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should be set for a bit

[close]

[close]

Using Amazon for reference
9" x 60' roll = $62.90, giving around 21 33" sheets, $2.99 a sheet
9" x 33" sheet x 20 per box = $65.16, $3.26 a sheet

I go through a lot of griptape so the $0.25 was worth the convenience
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

kimura

« Reply #6007 on: January 29, 2021, 09:47:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should be set for a bit

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for pointing out my exaggeration.
I bought the 11” roll and didn’t see it in the precut sheets. No biggie. I can measure and cut without complaining.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #6008 on: January 29, 2021, 02:09:26 PM »
- Antihero grosso lance deck (wall)
- Ellington/Greco cowboy deck (wall)
- Chapman 8.38
- Spitfire 54mm, 97 f4’s
- Some AliExpress off-road wheels ($18)
 Wasn’t looking to spend $120 on the zarosh ones
- Oj juice cubes 3/8 risers
- lil jawns rails, parking block shaped

I need to chill out on buying stuff for awhile

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6009 on: January 29, 2021, 03:37:56 PM »

Expand Quote
Should be set for a bit

[close]

got one of these recently too.  love it.  i like cutting my grip into 90s squares, so I save a lot of grip this way.

We used to lay the grip sideways and cut it directly off the board, so got way more decks gripped from it that way (and always had some lines / gaps which were cool with the amazing DLX top stains).

Even with the sheets, we got about a spare deck worth from about four sheets of grip, and had fun doing it too.

I think I have almost left that behind, just from doing plain black the regular way with only having access to sheets rather than rolls and so much more of it in recent years, but having a 10 or 11" roll was amazing for doing that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6010 on: January 29, 2021, 03:59:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should be set for a bit

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I bought the 11” roll and didn’t see it in the precut sheets. No biggie. I can measure and cut without complaining.

Sorry if I came off sounding condescending, it was 1am and I was feeling grouchy. I live in a tiny apartment eithout a proper work space so it's a pain to roll out the grip and cut it to length. My stash of boards maxes out at 8.5" hence the 9" roll, any wider and the 10" roll would make sense.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

kimura

« Reply #6011 on: January 29, 2021, 05:18:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should be set for a bit

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry if I came off sounding condescending, it was 1am and I was feeling grouchy. I live in a tiny apartment eithout a proper work space so it's a pain to roll out the grip and cut it to length. My stash of boards maxes out at 8.5" hence the 9" roll, any wider and the 10" roll would make sense.

No worries! I just figured it was slap pal banter. Its no secret my math skillz are lacking. I never made it past algebra!

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6012 on: January 29, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
finally got new shoes after killing my feet in NBs i had for a year, copped some DC Lynx Zeros that are i'm loving to skate in and some Crocketts that are mostly for chillin in but maybe i'll skate them one day. both pretty comfy so far!

kimura

« Reply #6013 on: January 29, 2021, 05:27:45 PM »
Brand new parking blocks for $45 each. There is a concrete supply company about 20 minutes away. One for the garage and one for the driveway.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6014 on: January 29, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »
Brand new parking blocks for $45 each. There is a concrete supply company about 20 minutes away. One for the garage and one for the driveway.

oooo nice! I recently saw some parking blocks that had one side completely flat and the other side like the above. Figured that’d be ideal for slides on the flat side

kimura

« Reply #6015 on: January 29, 2021, 05:47:34 PM »
Im pretty stoked. These are HUGE. 267 lbs each. 6" tall and 70" long.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #6016 on: January 29, 2021, 07:15:07 PM »
This is only tangentially skate related but fuck it.  Chocolate graphics brought me to the art of Evan Hecox, so I wound up buying this signed & numbered print.  Apparently I got the last one.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #6017 on: January 29, 2021, 09:07:54 PM »
eBays got the goods lately. I’ve been lucky with the timing.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #6018 on: February 01, 2021, 04:26:23 PM »
I just bought some on mini super juice so I could try and skate on some frozen grass. I set them up on my rain board and skated them a little before it started snowing. I’ve heard people complain about them not having slide and honestly I can’t do no pop regular shoves cause they don’t have slide but that’s pretty much it. I could flip the board fine and 360 flips, kick flips and nollie flips felt good. I didn’t get to skate long but I landed 4 out of 5 360 flips including my first one.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #6019 on: February 01, 2021, 05:25:54 PM »
I just bought some on mini super juice so I could try and skate on some frozen grass. I set them up on my rain board and skated them a little before it started snowing. I’ve heard people complain about them not having slide and honestly I can’t do no pop regular shoves cause they don’t have slide but that’s pretty much it. I could flip the board fine and 360 flips, kick flips and nollie flips felt good. I didn’t get to skate long but I landed 4 out of 5 360 flips including my first one.

Out here fuckin flexing on me. My 360 flips are garbage. No fucking way I’m landing that shit with cruisery wheels.

But, what I really wanna know is, what’s good with bearings for the rain board?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #6020 on: February 01, 2021, 10:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Out here fuckin flexing on me. My 360 flips are garbage. No fucking way I’m landing that shit with cruisery wheels.

But, what I really wanna know is, what’s good with bearings for the rain board?

I pretty much only skate reds (creature of habit). I just put a new set of reds in the wheels when putting the wheels on, which means I have newer bearings on my rain board then my regular board. It's winter so it will probably get more use for a little especially with all this damn snow.

Like 10 years ago I had bones swiss bearings and the house I was living in north philly got broken into and I'm pretty sure the only reason they stole my board was as a transportation device for a big ass stereo (which they probably didn't realize was broken). I have never bought swiss again.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #6021 on: February 03, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »
Just accepted a job offer so I decided to treat myself

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #6022 on: February 03, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Krooked board the, $40 ones. My friend keeps buying them. They had em in a size i like, so i bought. Feels like poop. They chip easy. Looks like I possibly already have cracks underneath the griptape on the nose. Been skating it for a week. The next nollie pop shuv I pop and dont land bolts im snaping it. Gotta avoid trick that I can pop high and dont always land bolts. Which suck bc I like those
[close]

In your mind, how long should a board last?
[close]

I usually make them last 2 months
[close]

I don’t break boards. Only rotate stuff, so I have decks that are years old. Anyways, for me, if I get to skate the board 4 times, that feels like cutoff. 2 months of everyday skating seems like a really really long time to me.

Everyday? Im not 15, son. The most I skate is half the week and I keep it low impact. 4 times is ridiculous imo. If youre chris joslin, sure.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6023 on: February 03, 2021, 06:55:10 PM »
My average is a board a month, sometimes up to 2 if I really like the board.
I'm skating almost every day for roughly 1 hour minimum and 4-5 hours at absolute most on weekends nowadays. A $lave board last year lasted me about 3 months but there were 2-3 weeks of wildfires that kept me from skating it though.

I'm surprised people go through boards faster than a month if they're not doing low impact stuff or are only doing what they know. I know some people are more sensitive to chips and razor tail, though, but still...
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6024 on: February 03, 2021, 10:06:01 PM »
I'm skating almost every day for roughly 1 hour minimum and 4-5 hours at absolute most on weekends nowadays. A $lave board last year lasted me about 3 months but there were 2-3 weeks of wildfires that kept me from skating it though.

I'm surprised people go through boards faster than a month if they're not doing low impact stuff or are only doing what they know. I know some people are more sensitive to chips and razor tail, though, but still...

My boards last me a long time, mainly because I skate like a grandma these days and have multiple setups - more so transition / small fun things and no rails, gaps, stairs.

Others I skate with who always go hard (stairs, rails, gaps, and just hard skating) can go through a board in a day or even a session, but more commonly a board a week is about their average.  Those guys usually always have spares floating around and older boards they have taken off as back ups just in case their main board breaks while they are out.

I couldn't justify buying and destroying pro boards, even at wholesale prices for that sort of skating, but they are happy on the wholesale blanks program so when they buy boards by the box, it works out way cheaper.

For me the quality over quantity works much better and I try to look after my boards a lot, but if something feels off or weird, I will retire it straight away and pass it on to someone else, rather than keep skating it and not be happy with it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6025 on: February 03, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My boards last me a long time, mainly because I skate like a grandma these days and have multiple setups - more so transition / small fun things and no rails, gaps, stairs.

Others I skate with who always go hard (stairs, rails, gaps, and just hard skating) can go through a board in a day or even a session, but more commonly a board a week is about their average.  Those guys usually always have spares floating around and older boards they have taken off as back ups just in case their main board breaks while they are out.

I couldn't justify buying and destroying pro boards, even at wholesale prices for that sort of skating, but they are happy on the wholesale blanks program so when they buy boards by the box, it works out way cheaper.

For me the quality over quantity works much better and I try to look after my boards a lot, but if something feels off or weird, I will retire it straight away and pass it on to someone else, rather than keep skating it and not be happy with it.

Ah and I'm the one setup kind of guy. Got two others: a cruiser and a Chocolate Couch shape. Those two are the rare mess around session set ups. I almost always ride my ATV setup.

I also have friends who go hard and can go through boards in hours or up to a week. I almost always try to slide them my old spares or sell them the boards I try and don't like (similar to you: dont wanna be unhappy fighting the battle to get "used" to it) if they're strapped for cash/spare boards.

Definitely try to look after my boards too. Keeping the grip clean and grippy by not spilling shit or forgetting to dust off my shoes is #1 after trying not to throw my board out of frustration.

Recently, I bought two decks and am so eager to set one of them up but I am being patient to finish off my Pass~Port first since it's got life left. Covid supply chain issues pushed me to stretch most of my gear AND pass on more of my gear to homies/locals who need it more than I do. I used to keep used spares but now I have unopened spares, ha!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #6026 on: February 04, 2021, 06:05:45 AM »
Theories 8.25x32x14.25

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6027 on: February 04, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
I bought a bit of shit this week including some Sunday bearings, and hardware but these got me  :)

These the ones off parade world

Super slick looking wheels. Wow. Spit should always look like this
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6028 on: February 04, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
finally ordered some 97duro 54mm, hope they are good. wish they came in 52/53mm and in other shapes but i have to try them

how’d it go for you?

I bought a bit of shit this week including some Sunday bearings, and hardware but these got me  :)

These the ones off parade world
did you set them up? How are they?

Wonder why the diff branding for f4 tablets
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-formula-4-99d-lil-smokies-tablet-wheels-51mm-90-4865136132150/

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6029 on: February 04, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
Having bushing issues. making me look very old man on my board.  :-*

Got these Indy super softs to test with. I think it will be sick.

Real 3 ply Venture cut risers because I'm expecting wheel bite.

Familiar shoes.

My size is the most popular size I think.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)