Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 978909 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 236
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #6210 on: March 06, 2021, 06:07:41 AM »
Silver tool: it’s as dope as everyone says it is. If you don’t have one, get one.
Baker Rowan: B2 shape. If you are in to 8.25 x 32”+ and a somewhat square shape, this is worth a try.

ballintoohard

« Reply #6211 on: March 06, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote

Def don't need a new deck but the local said they had a rough month and the 8.4 AH shape has intrigued me for some time... Should sit well on some Ace 44s. First sub 8.5" board I have had in over a decade.
[close]

I had an AH Stranger 8.4 deck with Ace 44s and I can tell you that, for me, it was a great combination

Does this measure narrower as most people say? And 14.25 WB?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6212 on: March 06, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Def don't need a new deck but the local said they had a rough month and the 8.4 AH shape has intrigued me for some time... Should sit well on some Ace 44s. First sub 8.5" board I have had in over a decade.
[close]

I had an AH Stranger 8.4 deck with Ace 44s and I can tell you that, for me, it was a great combination
[close]

Does this measure narrower as most people say? And 14.25 WB?

Frank and Fred can probably measure it, but those ones were about right for 8.4 but it was more the 8.5 size that people were saying were not quite that wide, if I recall correctly.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #6213 on: March 06, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
good come sausage

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6214 on: March 06, 2021, 08:54:46 AM »
Silver tool: it’s as dope as everyone says it is. If you don’t have one, get one.

They're good but not indestructible, I've had 3 and broken 2. The plastic bits holding the sockets within the tool arent the strongest. Broke 1 trying to remove a stubborn axle nut, broke 1 more from daily use. A full metal tool like the Spitfire one, while basic, is probably going to be the best for longevity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:24:32 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #6215 on: March 06, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're good but not indestructible, I've had 3 and broken 2. The plastic bits holding the sockets within the tool arent the strongest. Broke 1 trying to remove a stubborn axle nut, broke 1 more from daily use. A full metal look like the Spitfire one, while basic, is probably going to be the best longevity.
Couldnt agree with this more, the plastic piece always gives out. I only use the spitfire tool now

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #6216 on: March 06, 2021, 03:37:09 PM »
Well...shit.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6217 on: March 06, 2021, 04:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They're good but not indestructible, I've had 3 and broken 2. The plastic bits holding the sockets within the tool arent the strongest. Broke 1 trying to remove a stubborn axle nut, broke 1 more from daily use. A full metal look like the Spitfire one, while basic, is probably going to be the best longevity.
[close]
Couldnt agree with this more, the plastic piece always gives out. I only use the spitfire tool now

I have learned that for nice newish setup or general use those things are amazing, but the second you get anything that is old, rusted, stubborn or a struggle, grab out the old full metal version with the solid head and single piece screwdriver / allen key, because even good brand plastic tools or the welded parts on the allen / screwdriver bit that goes with some tools are just no match.

The other thing you can do if the silver tool does break is grind down the top end into a hex shape (grinder or even just run it along a rough curb on various sides) and mount it to a drill or socket set. I have not done this myself, but I have seen it done and that deck bolt socket part with the thin neck is the best for getting around hangers on Ventures and most other brands easily.

shreddyk

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6218 on: March 06, 2021, 08:35:19 PM »
Just bought lucas puigs new adidas pro model. Got them at a pretty decent discount for being a college student. Cant wait to skate em

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6219 on: March 07, 2021, 04:09:28 AM »
Just bought lucas puigs new adidas pro model. Got them at a pretty decent discount for being a college student. Cant wait to skate em
how does that work? Have to log in with your .edu email?

shreddyk

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6220 on: March 07, 2021, 05:07:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
how does that work? Have to log in with your .edu email?

Yeah, you just go to unidays click adidas and sign in with your edu email and they email or text you a code for 30% off shoes at the moment. It’s a really good deal

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6221 on: March 07, 2021, 11:23:04 AM »
Putting the Girl G027 to rest, just couldn't get into it, everything just felt off, nose too short, tail too long, WB too tight, board too short....8.125" feels too thin, 8.25" feelling too wide (stupid I know we're talking 1/8th of a fucking inch here)

Both 8.18" rest of the dims are pretty scarce, especially on the 917; sour is supposed to just under 32" with a 14.2 WB - only other options are FA (WB = too short) or the REALs (WB too long)

Boards arrived yesterday. Sticker on the 917?:

There is nothing 14.75" on this deck-WB is a tru 14.19" as advertised - measuring 'top' of truck hole to bottom truck hole, isn't even 14.5"...14.19"<->14.75" is a huge gap, moreso when you advertise it with a completely useless sticker; I'd take one look at it in the shop and go nope. Made in Mexico (BBS, dot indent under sticker); slick texture identical to the DLX slicks

Sour also measures true at 8.18" and 14.19"WB

Both are close in length and tail/nose dims, Sour = more tapered in the nose, 917 = full (tails being visually the same shape); 917 is also thick (not counting the slick layer) and noticeably heavy; nice shape, deep concave and kicks, damn near no fingers of flat, kick starts right after the bolts; sour is more mellow, and has a two fingers but a quick upturn kick after that.

Nice to have 8.18" options with smallish WB (for as long as they last) since the DLX boards are always 14.38/14.4WB.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #6222 on: March 07, 2021, 12:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Putting the Girl G027 to rest, just couldn't get into it, everything just felt off, nose too short, tail too long, WB too tight, board too short....8.125" feels too thin, 8.25" feelling too wide (stupid I know we're talking 1/8th of a fucking inch here)

Both 8.18" rest of the dims are pretty scarce, especially on the 917; sour is supposed to just under 32" with a 14.2 WB - only other options are FA (WB = too short) or the REALs (WB too long)

[close]

There is nothing 14.75" on this deck-WB is a tru 14.19" as advertised - measuring 'top' of truck hole to bottom truck hole, isn't even 14.5"...14.19"<->14.75" is a huge gap, moreso when you advertise it with a completely useless sticker; I'd take one look at it in the shop and go nope. Made in Mexico (BBS, dot indent under sticker); slick texture identical to the DLX slicks

Both are close in length and tail/nose dims, Sour = more tapered in the nose, 917 = full (tails being visually the same shape); 917 is also thick (not counting the slick layer) and noticeably heavy; nice shape, deep concave and kicks, damn near no fingers of flat, kick starts right after the bolts; sour is more mellow, and has a two fingers but a quick upturn kick after that.

Nice to have 8.18" options with smallish WB (for as long as they last) since the DLX boards are always 14.38/14.4WB.

Which woodshop does Sour use in the US?
In Europe it's HLC and I can't support those Jart people.
Finally found a 8.125 AWS with 31.75 length and 14.25 wb. I am stoked to say the least. Seems to be from the Dwindle factory due to that regrowth laser engraving but I never had problems with Dwindle wood. Might get some shit here for that statement haha
IG: @flowterspace

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #6223 on: March 07, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »
Clown Ouija Board reissue 8"
Palace Jamal Smith 8.25"
Girl G023 8.125"
Hockey Rescue 8.25"
Girl 9" loveseat and some mini logo 8.75s.

Pair of Tiago 1010 NBs.

My wife is away at the moment, so stocking up on bloards while she can't tut at me  ;D

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6224 on: March 07, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
Clown Ouija Board reissue 8"
Palace Jamal Smith 8.25"
Girl G023 8.125"
Hockey Rescue 8.25"
Girl 9" loveseat and some mini logo 8.75s.

Pair of Tiago 1010 NBs.

My wife is away at the moment, so stocking up on bloards while she can't tut at me  ;D

Cool stuff mate. The Girl G023 is a nice shape and I wasn't able yet to break one of these decks. Invite your wife to a nice dinner when she is back.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #6225 on: March 07, 2021, 01:25:06 PM »
Yeah the G023 is already gripped as well so chances are I'll skate that next for pure convenience. My primitive has started to delam on the nose so I reckon it'll be fairly soon... I've only skated the G027 prior so will be interesting to see how the 23 compares.

Funny enough the shop that sold me the Palace deck messed up my order so it didn't get dispatched/processed for a week..shop guy said he would chuck something in by means of apology, turns out that something was a nice Huf hoody, size smaller than I wear so I'm gifting it to the wife.

Dinner and a new hoody, she picked a good one  :P

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6226 on: March 07, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
tweaked my ankle as soon as this arrived
big woo

https://ibb.co/xLCFWJc

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6227 on: March 07, 2021, 07:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Finally found a 8.125 AWS with 31.75 length and 14.25 wb. I am stoked to say the least. Seems to be from the Dwindle factory due to that regrowth laser engraving but I never had problems with Dwindle wood. Might get some shit here for that statement haha

Laser engraving on the top of the deck says 'Fried in Europe' so I guess it's Jart? I have no idea. Setting up the 917 first.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6228 on: March 08, 2021, 01:01:05 AM »

Where are you in the world?

I would be curious to see pics of that board, especially the laser engraving, because some of those boards seem to be copies that come from "other places" and when they copy them, they try to get things right, but almost always end up using parts of or weird combinations of the real thing, eg Alien Workshop is on BBS, but Dwindle does the regrowth logo between the back trucks and the board specs between the front trucks, from what I have seen, but the "other" boards seem to only have the regrowth logo between the front trucks.

@rocklobster could give you a bit more info on that one, as he has some, or has seen some in person.

A normal Dwindle board, as per info above:

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6229 on: March 08, 2021, 02:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would be curious to see pics of that board, especially the laser engraving, because some of those boards seem to be copies that come from "other places" and when they copy them, they try to get things right, but almost always end up using parts of or weird combinations of the real thing, eg Alien Workshop is on BBS, but Dwindle does the regrowth logo between the back trucks and the board specs between the front trucks, from what I have seen, but the "other" boards seem to only have the regrowth logo between the front trucks.

@rocklobster could give you a bit more info on that one, as he has some, or has seen some in person.

It's strange my buddy found some Habitat x NASA decks on sale which were launched mid 2019, so way before COVID. He boards he say had the REGROWTH laser stamp but no PS Stix with the top markings and serial numbers. I guess I could understand if they were the pricepoint complete decks but these are the pro model lines, so that raised a few eyebrows. He tried asking the store for pics of the deck to check the top markings but they told him to fuck off, which is never a good sign for a skate shop selling legitimate product.

Doesn't bother me too much that the stock is old, Asia has a lot of dead inventory floating around. Also, Habitat and AWS are way less popular than Baker / Girl, so they are less likely to be the target of China counterfeiters. But still pretty mysterious.

https://store.hlcdist.com/shop-by-brand/

HLC doesn't distribute AWS and Habitat anymore, missing from the page.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6230 on: March 08, 2021, 07:08:09 AM »
Weird, I have never seen the Regrowth etching on any dwindle board I've skated (two since covid an almost and enjoi and a few before).

From the Sour:

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6231 on: March 08, 2021, 01:04:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am in Berlin, Germany. Shipping from the US would be around 100$ via the AWS website, which unfortunately isn't a option for me.

top view

So that regrowth logo is between the front bolts. No other markings. A barcode sticker which says made in china. On the foil of the graphic side is a little round silver sticker that says "Made with premium north american maple and glue". If that deck is a fake, it is a perfect copy with really good wood and glue. This deck is the Yaje Shelter graphic in 8.125 and before I had a Visitor also in 8.125 which was my golden deck so far.

I only had bad experiences with HLC and MDCN wood and DLX rarely has sizes that I like. Personally, I have no problem with chinese made decks since Mexico and China are both far away when you live in Germany. But yeah, I can understand when someone on here gives me shit for riding chinese decks.

Is @rocklobster around with more info?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:16:28 PM by fs1/2cab »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6232 on: March 08, 2021, 03:40:02 PM »

I am in Berlin, Germany. Shipping from the US would be around 100$ via the AWS website, which unfortunately isn't a option for me.

top view

So that regrowth logo is between the front bolts. No other markings. A barcode sticker which says made in china. On the foil of the graphic side is a little round silver sticker that says "Made with premium north american maple and glue". If that deck is a fake, it is a perfect copy with really good wood and glue. This deck is the Yaje Shelter graphic in 8.125 and before I had a Visitor also in 8.125 which was my golden deck so far.

I only had bad experiences with HLC and MDCN wood and DLX rarely has sizes that I like. Personally, I have no problem with chinese made decks since Mexico and China are both far away when you live in Germany. But yeah, I can understand when someone on here gives me shit for riding chinese decks.

That is definitely interesting and does not look like a cheap copy, but also to point out, "other woodshops" are not necessarily bad, so sure it is made in China from one of the many woodshops there, maybe Dwindle, from someone who doesn't want them to be branded as a Dwindle board (like NHS boards) so they minimise the branding and pump out these for the European market.

Does it feel like Dwindle in the concave of the wood?

As someone else said, AWS and Habitat are no longer under the umbrella of the main distro in EU, so most likely they split and went their own way.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6233 on: March 08, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »

Weird, I have never seen the Regrowth etching on any dwindle board I've skated (two since covid an almost and enjoi and a few before).

From the Sour:

Does that Sour board feel like a Dwindle?

I thought some were, but I have not seen them so do not know.  Also I took the "Fried in Europe" to mean the brand or thought originated in Europe, the same way that other Dwindle boards have "Designed in California" on them.

The other curious thing to note is that Regrowth logo is just a printed logo on the Almost deck, not laser etched, which is why I wonder if they change it depending on when the decks are made or even if other woodshops in China have copied that to put on their own.  Not a worry either way, but it is interesting to see, especially from here in Australia, compared to the US market, or the EU market.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6234 on: March 08, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote

From the Sour:

[close]

Does that Sour board feel like a Dwindle?

I thought some were, but I have not seen them so do not know.  Also I took the "Fried in Europe" to mean the brand or thought originated in Europe, the same way that other Dwindle boards have "Designed in California" on them.

The other curious thing to note is that Regrowth logo is just a printed logo on the Almost deck, not laser etched, which is why I wonder if they change it depending on when the decks are made or even if other woodshops in China have copied that to put on their own.  Not a worry either way, but it is interesting to see, especially from here in Australia, compared to the US market, or the EU market.

I've not set it up yet, but the 'fit and finish' does not resemble a DSM board; the sour's routered edge is rough in spots, DSM boards are baby bottom smooth everytime.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6235 on: March 08, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

top view

Hey dude I replied above with the info I got.

"It's strange my buddy found some Habitat x NASA decks on sale which were launched mid 2019, so way before COVID. He boards he say had the REGROWTH laser stamp but no PS Stix with the top markings and serial numbers. I guess I could understand if they were the pricepoint complete decks but these are the pro model lines, so that raised a few eyebrows. He tried asking the store for pics of the deck to check the top markings but they told him to fuck off, which is never a good sign for a skate shop selling legitimate product.

Doesn't bother me too much that the stock is old, Asia has a lot of dead inventory floating around. Also, Habitat and AWS are way less popular than Baker / Girl, so they are less likely to be the target of China counterfeiters. But still pretty mysterious.

https://store.hlcdist.com/shop-by-brand/

HLC doesn't distribute AWS and Habitat anymore, missing from the page."

Given the pics you shared it looks like its DSM pressed but they omitted the Resin-7 card they usually stick along the side. Zero was pressed at DSM until fairly recently, and I've seen smaller local brands get pressed at DSM with the REGROWTH engraving on there.

If you check out the Habitat or AWS website it's all over the place with the top marking. Inconsistent markings on pro / team boards with the PS Stix markings or none at all.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6236 on: March 08, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »

I've not set it up yet, but the 'fit and finish' does not resemble a DSM board; the sour's routered edge is rough in spots, DSM boards are baby bottom smooth everytime.

Yeah, makes sense.

I reposted relevant info in the Woodshop 2021 thread as that is a better place than here for all this I think

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115427.60

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6237 on: March 09, 2021, 10:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Bluetile Lounge Shop Deck 8.25
Bones Reds
Doh-Dohs Medium Hard 88a
[close]

have this on the wall
blue tile has the best shapes

damn those shapes are mad sexy. anyone know the woodshop?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #6238 on: March 09, 2021, 01:19:39 PM »
Nothing in a while but I'm tempted by some slb mids for a good price in here.
How's the sizing on their? TTS?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Oaf

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6239 on: March 09, 2021, 03:45:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bluetile Lounge Shop Deck 8.25
Bones Reds
Doh-Dohs Medium Hard 88a
[close]

have this on the wall
blue tile has the best shapes
[close]

damn those shapes are mad sexy. anyone know the woodshop?

I read somewhere here that they are bbs.  It was someone mentioning blue tile and nine times as Canadian shop decks by bbs.  I’ve eyed them up, but no personal experience yet.