Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 969902 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #5100 on: July 25, 2020, 07:37:10 AM »
Sorry, but how the fuck can people skate pointy noses and tails?? Tails with a slight taper aren't bad in my opinion. (Primitive and Polar have nice tail/nose combo in my opinion)

I feel like I get the worst flick on them, there's no room to put my foot when actually grinding/sliding, and they just look awkward to me. That said, FA and WKND are the opposite extreme that seem great but are way too stubby/blunt haha however I'm scared I might like an FA if i try one lol

For me, pointy has better flick and better scoop. Doesn't mess me up on nose slides, either. I think square/full kicks look horrible, like they're pre razored almost. It's just preference.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5101 on: July 25, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »
If they re-release the Scream graphic I will lose all of my shit. All of it.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #5102 on: July 25, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Sorry, but how the fuck can people skate pointy noses and tails?? Tails with a slight taper aren't bad in my opinion. (Primitive and Polar have nice tail/nose combo in my opinion)

I feel like I get the worst flick on them, there's no room to put my foot when actually grinding/sliding, and they just look awkward to me. That said, FA and WKND are the opposite extreme that seem great but are way too stubby/blunt haha however I'm scared I might like an FA if i try one lol
[close]

For me, pointy has better flick and better scoop. Doesn't mess me up on nose slides, either. I think square/full kicks look horrible, like they're pre razored almost. It's just preference.
I can see the scoop point! I'm on an AWS that has a stubbier tail than I'm used to and I had to spend time finding the scoop again for 360 flips, but they work great now. However, I noticed on my Polar and Primitive decks with a more tapered tail, 360 flips were more responsive with that scoop than the AWS initially. You're definitely right about preference but my knee jerk reaction to seeing pointy boards just screams "get that away from me, it's not visually pleasing and won't skate well" funny enough a recent Real I had was fairly pointy/popsicle like and I just couldn't skate it well, so I hooked someone else up.
Super Champion Fun Zone

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5103 on: July 25, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I can see the scoop point! I'm on an AWS that has a stubbier tail than I'm used to and I had to spend time finding the scoop again for 360 flips, but they work great now. However, I noticed on my Polar and Primitive decks with a more tapered tail, 360 flips were more responsive with that scoop than the AWS initially. You're definitely right about preference but my knee jerk reaction to seeing pointy boards just screams "get that away from me, it's not visually pleasing and won't skate well" funny enough a recent Real I had was fairly pointy/popsicle like and I just couldn't skate it well, so I hooked someone else up.

Oh for sure. I bug out over square/full boards...they could be perfect in every other way but something about them just fucks with me. I recently had a Hockey that I ended up giving away after 1 session.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #5104 on: July 25, 2020, 12:40:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Oh for sure. I bug out over square/full boards...they could be perfect in every other way but something about them just fucks with me. I recently had a Hockey that I ended up giving away after 1 session.

feel like the big squarish boards become a little too squared after 8.25" the FA/Hockey 8.18" shape is squared but still skinny enough that it doesn't feel blockish.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5105 on: July 25, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Definitely prefer a slightly pointier kick for flicking off of, scooping and most flip tricks. Square kicks just don't feel as right even though I can do all my flip tricks on them fine. But the difference in sitting on a nose/tailslide is so substantial for me that I will always prefer a fuller kick to a tapered one.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #5106 on: July 25, 2020, 03:22:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Let me introduce you to my newest eBay impulse buy.

I don't think these photos even do it justice. It's almost comically square. I'll take better ones after I set it up.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5107 on: July 25, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I don't think these photos even do it justice. It's almost comically square. I'll take better ones after I set it up.

Yo that snack board looks bugged out. I will always regret not buying their hypnotized minds graphic. Thanks for the reminder with these dudes, still PS, I’ll look for em in the future.

I’m not really a fan of square boards. I like the old baker shapes, old old girl/choco shapes. Pointy just seems crisp and light, whereas square boards feel bloated. Maybe if I tried a really square board, but it was 7.75 or some shit I’d like it, but some square 8.78 with floppy loose trucks ridden by some tail skidder....always looks trash

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5108 on: July 25, 2020, 11:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yo that snack board looks bugged out. I will always regret not buying their hypnotized minds graphic. Thanks for the reminder with these dudes, still PS, I’ll look for em in the future.

I’m not really a fan of square boards. I like the old baker shapes, old old girl/choco shapes. Pointy just seems crisp and light, whereas square boards feel bloated. Maybe if I tried a really square board, but it was 7.75 or some shit I’d like it, but some square 8.78 with floppy loose trucks ridden by some tail skidder....always looks trash
LOL I had a twin nose PS Stix AWS that had two shoveled ends like that Snack board. As much as I pretended to like it, and hyped it up on here, it was fucking awful as my main setup. I was glad when it broke after 3 sessions. Squared boards can work if they’re a cruiser style shape. It’s weird when it’s done as a popsicle
fuck you bama

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #5109 on: July 26, 2020, 04:55:14 AM »

First non-DOA I've bought in over a year. Both 8.25. The standard mellow Baker shape has always caught my eye, I really don't like their logo boards but can't be choosy now.  It's got a nice purple top ply which is my favorite.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #5110 on: July 26, 2020, 05:55:44 AM »
I love that politic board, how steep is it compared to the baker? Mind taking a photo? Thinking about grabbing one at vu.

Also does anyone know the length on the 8.0 politics?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5111 on: July 26, 2020, 06:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Got those busenitz vulc 2 for $23 bucks. Just wearing around house and summer chillers they feel fine and minimal. Glad I got bigger size, fit good. Little heel slip but they’re loosely laced atm
[close]

Damn, got mine in my regular size. They’re in my state but, the mail has been ridiculously slow recently. I feel bad for USPS workers.
Had them on my regular size and they were good but those are by far the worst purchase I've made in years. For some reason after skating then just a little I got a huge lower back pain.
Topic wise I'm waiting for some all brown 533 v2, stoked to have them since is almost impossible to get NB# in here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:13:49 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #5112 on: July 26, 2020, 06:35:29 AM »
I love that politic board, how steep is it compared to the baker? Mind taking a photo? Thinking about grabbing one at vu.

As I was driving home yesterday I remember looking over and being surprised by how similar the concave/kicks were as the two sat stacked on top of each other in the passenger seat. I expected the Politic to be steeper, just based on previous experience with South Central. Take all that with a grain of salt as it's just a passing thought I had driving down the interstate.  I'll do a proper comparison and try to get a picture this evening.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5113 on: July 26, 2020, 06:57:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
LOL I had a twin nose PS Stix AWS that had two shoveled ends like that Snack board. As much as I pretended to like it, and hyped it up on here, it was fucking awful as my main setup. I was glad when it broke after 3 sessions. Squared boards can work if they’re a cruiser style shape. It’s weird when it’s done as a popsicle

@Buttfart Rapedick that thing is traumatizing.
@Ok i had a 7.875 Habitat a few years ago that was a square PS and that was the exception to the rule. That was a great board and I learned a bunch of tricks on it that I didn't think would happen in my early/mid-30s.
@tom in all the pics online that board looked pointy, but when you posted it I was so glad I didn't bite.

Anyway, got a stack of 8.06 eagles, 50mm bigheads, 50mm f4 classics, and a new pair of busenitz. Feeling blessed.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #5114 on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »

Sold my last motorcycle yesterday :( so I bought some stuff (mostly from shops/companies I love supporting), and put the rest towards a puppy for the family. Very exited about the swiss bearings as I have always just ran reds.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5115 on: July 26, 2020, 07:50:39 AM »

Sold my last motorcycle yesterday :( so I bought some stuff (mostly from shops/companies I love supporting), and put the rest towards a puppy for the family. Very exited about the swiss bearings as I have always just ran reds.
Damn those Reebok's look nice af
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5116 on: July 26, 2020, 07:52:33 AM »
Be still my teenage heart.
I wanted to setup a 8.25 for a while, now I have the perfect excuse.
Can't wait for that one to arrive in here
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #5117 on: July 26, 2020, 08:10:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Damn those Reebok's look nice af
Thanks man, I haven't skated non-skate shoes since the early 2000's, but I "needed" these..lol

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5118 on: July 26, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
Got a couple of sets of wheels from Skateamerica, was tempted to try a Flip P2 but it was a David Gonzales pro models. And I already have a huge stack of boards (8 and counting) have 2 more on the way.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5119 on: July 27, 2020, 03:58:32 AM »

I think politic mostly uses a standard SC mold so most likely deepish concave and steep tail. They do sometimes use the E mold (DOA flat as fuck) and apparently have a deep and steep square shape too, but I've never seen one in person. It's been a minute since I measured one but as I recall the 8" was the same as the 8.12 and 8.25, so 31.75" with a 14.25" wb. Damon from library skate shop is one of the politic dudes and quite skate nerdy, so shoot him an email and I'm sure he can answer your questions. Also buy stuff from him because his shop is great.

This is my third snack, the other two have been good but just not quite right for me. The first one was an 8.12 thats a normal popsicle shape and pretty mellow. It's good but I was kinda bummed on smaller decks until recently so I haven't skated it a ton. The other is an 8.38 that's also a more traditional popsicle but with steep kicks which I struggle with. I really like it for about 5 minutes then I ghost pop a lot.

This one is way more my style. For whatever reason I'm much more comfortable on steep kicks when they're squared and I feel wide square noses help me get more power on my flick. It's definitely harder to scoop though, so a moderately squared tail is my preference. I'm pretty excited about this one but I sprained my ankle over the weekend so I'm going to have to wait a while to try it.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #5120 on: July 27, 2020, 07:32:38 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5121 on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

@Ok i had a 7.875 Habitat a few years ago that was a square PS and that was the exception to the rule. That was a great board and I learned a bunch of tricks on it that I didn't think would happen in my early/mid-30s.
@tom in all the pics online that board looked pointy, but when you posted it I was so glad I didn't bite.

Anyway, got a stack of 8.06 eagles, 50mm bigheads, 50mm f4 classics, and a new pair of busenitz. Feeling blessed.

7.9s are the shit. A square 7.75ish board would be an instant buy.
Interested to see what your opinion is on re bigheads vs f4 classics.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5122 on: July 27, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »

Just talked to the owner of my local and he's put one of these aside for me - Firebert I definitely don't need a deck but I'm so happy I saw your post as I too had one of these years ago - hopefully they're restocked with reds when I head over.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5123 on: July 27, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just talked to the owner of my local and he's put one of these aside for me - Firebert I definitely don't need a deck but I'm so happy I saw your post as I too had one of these years ago - hopefully they're restocked with reds when I head over.
Did the same, sent an email to put apart that one as soon it arrives in here.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #5124 on: July 28, 2020, 06:50:35 AM »
dude where can i get one of those for not a flipper price? hopefully he does a scream reissue
even the steven

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5125 on: July 28, 2020, 07:00:13 AM »
Some shortys 1” Allen key bolts, they’re actually quite rare these days...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5126 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:23 AM »
Chanced upon a pair of Independent 139 Stage 11 Hollow Forged, the sticker at the bottom indicated it was still "Made in America". The pair of trucks came with a set of Bones Ceramic which I was keen to try out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #5127 on: July 28, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

7.9s are the shit. A square 7.75ish board would be an instant buy.
Interested to see what your opinion is on re bigheads vs f4 classics.

It's not as square but the WKND Sablone boards are like a "full shape" 7.75..

I wish more companies used that square PS tooling for smaller sizes. I used to skate those and they were amazing but a little tricky to get in 7.875 or 8 now. I remember when FA first came out, the Dill board had that shape and 31.25" long.. The shape looks amazing and fun but I never skated it as I knew I'd regret it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5128 on: July 29, 2020, 02:48:17 AM »

It's not as square but the WKND Sablone boards are like a "full shape" 7.75..

I wish more companies used that square PS tooling for smaller sizes. I used to skate those and they were amazing but a little tricky to get in 7.875 or 8 now. I remember when FA first came out, the Dill board had that shape and 31.25" long.. The shape looks amazing and fun but I never skated it as I knew I'd regret it.

For whatever reason when I've looked at 8" wknd decks in the shop even the "square" ones seem pointier to me. I wish they would go back to the old mold/dimensions, especially for the 8.25. I emailed them about it a few months back and they said they haven't actually changed molds and attributed the change to PS resurfacing the mold but I don't think that's totally correct. The nose is totally different on the new ones, it's a little bit shorter and nowhere near as steep. I still like them a lot, but the switch from 31.5 to 31.75 and different nose has taken them out of the "must buy" category for me.

That's why I'm pretty stoked about this Snack - although it's still a bit longer than I would prefer and it's not the same size/shape nose it still reminds me of the old WKNDs when I look down at it. I'm curious if the newer square nosed Snack models are the same shape. All the ones my local shop had have been the round nose but the dimensions they have listed are the same as this one so maybe they're still making these.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5129 on: July 29, 2020, 07:08:00 AM »
Bought a janky second hand setup with Destruco Bam Glow in the Dark Truck, Hook Up wheels that were so old they were orange and cracking and bearing that wouldn't spin, just so I could get my hands on this Rob Welsh board:

Not the best condition but I love the guys skating, first magazine I ever had was a Thrasher with him as the main interview just around the time Ride or Dye came out. The grip was a pain to peel off but I'm happy to get this one added to my collection.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m