Author Topic: Vancouver, BC  (Read 32301 times)

Glurmpz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
Re: Vancouver, BC
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
if you can drive a trip out to tsawwassen is worth it. it's big and usually empty save the odd kid who shows up and does a few laps

Well - just make sure you go when kids are in school. That park has become horrible for scooters in recent years.

Chris

• Rep: 3
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »
Skate the courts! Plazas always a fun time and the ledges are so good since they swapped em up. 401 is good again and not much of a kick out. Also some spots in that newer area in downtown near the stupid expensive chandelier they put up. Havenít been to the new Emily Carr too much and did hear some things got knobbed but that spots super fun too.

Glurmpz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2020, 06:50:27 PM »
Skate the courts! Plazas always a fun time and the ledges are so good since they swapped em up. 401 is good again and not much of a kick out. Also some spots in that newer area in downtown near the stupid expensive chandelier they put up. Havenít been to the new Emily Carr too much and did hear some things got knobbed but that spots super fun too.

401 isn't much of a kick out? They literally have 24/7 security posted at the doors on both ends and they come out as soon as they see you walking up with a skateboard. Everyone I know who skated it did so while getting booted. You can even see the security in the background of the few clips that have popped up. That being said, it's better than the old 401 for sure. I've tried to skate it a couple times with no luck - hope I stumble upon the low kick out vibes you speak of.

Emily Carr is great and you're actually allowed to skate the main plaza with the long angle iron ledge, but you're not supposed to skate any of the other areas, and someone had popped off a few of the knobs so in response the school put way more knobs on. 

Right now Vancouver is better than it ever has been for spots. There's new ones popping up constantly. If you have a car you're stoked because you can just drive around looking for new developments. All of the schools in the lower mainland are being renovated as well because they don't meet seismic requirements so that means lots of new spots too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:10:35 PM by Glurmpz »

Chris

• Rep: 3
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
Skated it two weekends in a row on Sundayís and no kick out in the back where the 5s are. It was super fun. Maybe just luck of timing? I donít know. Anyhow, I agree that itís kind of the best right now. You can skate around downtown and hit different spots and it still be fun. Sure a ton of stuff is still knobbed but just make the most of it and donít be a whiny puss and youíll be fine. UBC is a bit out there but fun to skate around as someone mentioned earlier.

Glurmpz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2020, 10:15:32 PM »
Skated it two weekends in a row on Sundayís and no kick out in the back where the 5s are. It was super fun. Maybe just luck of timing? I donít know. Anyhow, I agree that itís kind of the best right now. You can skate around downtown and hit different spots and it still be fun. Sure a ton of stuff is still knobbed but just make the most of it and donít be a whiny puss and youíll be fine. UBC is a bit out there but fun to skate around as someone mentioned earlier.

Yeah maybe just luck of the draw - that's how it always was in the 90's/early 2000's. UBC definitely has lots of stuff - always new buildings popping up out there.

Mantracker

• Rep: -5
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
Now that its 4 degrees and monsooning out... where's the good indoor/covered spots at for winter?

Other than all over UBC I only know of Cambie/Winners parkade and all underneath waterfront/seabus station

Does Plaza or Cooper's park ever stay dry during the rain? last winter I was lazy and did not adventure out one bit

stoneyhawk

• Rep: 1
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
I heard the Granville island ramp is coming back in some capacity, covid permitting of course. The school board parkade off broadway might be good this winter if everyone is working from home?

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
this thread makes me miss living in vancouver, parks and spots as far as the eye could see

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
I skate UBC sometimes...there's a few local there that rub me the wrong way.....this older dude who acts like he owns the place and just likes to listen to himself talk....you'd think he'd find some other outlets for that....

Yo, do you know a guy named Rory whyte? skates plaza and ubc quite a bit

2th

• Rep: 2
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2020, 01:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote
if you can drive a trip out to tsawwassen is worth it. it's big and usually empty save the odd kid who shows up and does a few laps
[close]
Well - just make sure you go when kids are in school. That park has become horrible for scooters in recent years.
Havenít seen a parent accompanied scooter pack since covid, granted Iíve avoided all the parks on the weekends. Seems the Kaydens and Aidons are confined to their suburbs... for now

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 841
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »
Expand Quote
I skate UBC sometimes...there's a few local there that rub me the wrong way.....this older dude who acts like he owns the place and just likes to listen to himself talk....you'd think he'd find some other outlets for that....
[close]

Yep....

They started capping stuff at VSB because every kid and their crew shows up....and security comes pretty regularly....pretty much it's watch your weather app and prioritize this winter....

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep....

They started capping stuff at VSB because every kid and their crew shows up....and security comes pretty regularly....pretty much it's watch your weather app and prioritize this winter....

Haha nice, his older brother is one of my best friends, use to skate with rory all the time, good dude.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 841
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2020, 11:12:56 PM »
Yah he's grown up to be quite the shredder.....

slappy50

• Rep: 2
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Havenít seen a parent accompanied scooter pack since covid, granted Iíve avoided all the parks on the weekends. Seems the Kaydens and Aidons are confined to their suburbs... for now
if you want to have that theory heavily disproven, head out to the cloverdale skatepark on a saturday at around 1:30. thereís always tons of scooters, so morning sessions are becoming a regular thing for me :) they run ďtrainsĒ of like 8 through the park, and the gather at the ends and make the wallride/steep bank at the end pretty much unskateable. the scoots are bountiful in cloverdale
niggling

[/quote]