Author Topic: Vancouver, BC  (Read 35871 times)

essal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Vancouver, BC
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
I'm moving to Vancouver, BC in the beginning of January, and I'm looking for some pointers on where to go skate, where good shops are located, quality bars etc.
I'm staying just a bit north of Antisocial, so if there is anyone living in the area who likes beers and skateboarding then shoot me a pm.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Vancouver, BC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
vancouver city EVERYTHING is capped so your stuck with gaps and manual pads ftmp

best skateshop is probably underworld on granville, right by the plaza train and stadium. there's a dope $1 pizza place by the apartments near the plaza, they also do turkish pies or some shit.

i'm hoping to get back out there in the spring, probably only afford a 200 sq foot studio in Delta though...

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Antisocial is probably the best shop in Vancouver. It's the cool guy shop but it has the best product. Thats probably the best area for a skater to live. I live in New West. It's close to work and I can afford to own a way bigger place and its a 20min skytrain from Plaza but there's ten other parks in between. Theres a indoor ramp at http://www.sbcrestaurant.ca/gallery/ that's a good winter spot. Moving in Jan means you'll have to wait out the weather for 2-3 months for skate season. There's a bunch of bars in the area around antisocial. Pm me if you want when you arrive and you can get in on a session at the ramp or something. I'm just an average skater but skate with a bunch of flow bro's.

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
thanks! so is there not a single indoor park in the Vancouver area? Only SBC and some random garage thing I found on google (which didn't really look like much to skate). I'm pretty good at not skating during the winter months, but it's always nice to have the chance.

vancanman

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
There's one in South Vancouver at Monke Skateboards https://www.facebook.com/monkeskateboard but it's not very big. Theres also a some stuff at a couple of the distributers but they're invite only. A buddy of mine has a box that he brings to an underground parking garage with some curb manny pads. You kinda gotta make it happen for yourself during the winter. I couldn't even guess how many skateparks are in the lower mainland to skate come spring.

broken_teeth

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »
I've been wanting to move to Vancouver for a long time.
if you don't mind me asking, essal are you from the us? how are you able to move there? through work or school or something else?

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 04:53:43 AM »
School. Doing a post bachelor diploma thing for a year. So I basically have a student visa valid until early 2016. I'm Norwegian. I have no clue about getting a work permit, I guess that's a bit more work, especially if you do not have a job waiting for you there.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
it's already been mentioned, but antisocial is pretty much the best place to go to in vancouver for skate goods. there is an insane amount of skateparks in vancouver, there will be one very close to where you're staying by the name of mt. pleasant (just off main and 16th). from your place if you head north towards science world, keep going a few blocks up and you'll find the plaza. there is no shortage of spots/parks to skate around here, and for the most part, people are pretty friendly.

broken_teeth

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Yea I feel like going back to school would be my only in at this point, are you going to Simon Fraser or UBC?

and definitely agreed about Antisocial, best shop, on a good day you'll catch McCrank in there
and if you're hungry theres a burrito spot across the street called Budgie's Burritos, owned by friends of Antisocial
Im from LA and hands down Budgies had some of the best burritos and tacos that ive ever had

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 05:01:29 AM »
Doing to Kwantlen down in Richmond. I don't mind the short commute, and I've had almost an hour of travel to school every day for my BA so I'm pretty used to it.

Thanks for the tip about the burritos, I love that stuff!

tidwid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »
Hey essal, I live near where you're moving. PM'd you.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:13 AM »
vancouver city EVERYTHING is capped so your stuck with gaps and manual pads ftmp

best skateshop is probably underworld on granville, right by the plaza train and stadium. there's a dope $1 pizza place by the apartments near the plaza, they also do turkish pies or some shit.

i'm hoping to get back out there in the spring, probably only afford a 200 sq foot studio in Delta though...

haha where u from Tracer?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
Garden city has a manual pad and ledge and is close to kwantlen...the weird park at Thompson if your expectations are low is fun too...it's a short bus ride....

The rent near where you live may be a bit pricey....

Cooner66

• Rep: -47
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 05:01:14 AM »
i live in van if you wanna skate

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »
Garden city has a manual pad and ledge and is close to kwantlen...the weird park at Thompson if your expectations are low is fun too...it's a short bus ride....

The rent near where you live may be a bit pricey....
that thompson park looked weird as hell from a little googling. it's like they didn't even try to get shit leveled, so they just put a lot of stuff at 45 degrees instead. looked kinda fun actually.

rent is a bit high, but then again, it's cheaper compared to over here and I wanted to live with some people my age who aren't all introverts. the amount of "we prefer that you're quiet; no visitors, no parties, no overnight stays" places I found and offers I received, I'm pretty happy about paying a bit more to be able to be myself..

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 07:38:24 AM »
Thompson is a cool concept, just a bunch of weird shapes in an open area....the shapes are just not the best....it's relatively level....

For food around kwantlen I'd check out izumiya, it's a Japanese grocery store on the other side of lansdown...

The other shops in Vancouver you might want to check: BLVD on commercial, Skull skates in Pt. Grey on way to UBC, Menu in gastown....

Leeside is covered but often flooded.....

UBC is a good spot to hit the park and go street skating....

Tony Rave

• Rep: -57
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »

WOW DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THIS ......

Tony Rave

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
ANTI SOCIAL / MENU / BLVD ARE ALL RAD SHOPS.

Yes are ledge game is low.. but there is still a bunch of good gems.

Tons of good parks and little spots all within bus distance .. or travel a bit for more good stuff !

You'll be stoked

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

WOW DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THIS ......

Uh.....T-racer in Delta in the spring?  How can my ears not perk up?

ginger lightning

• Rep: -8
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
Mt Pleasant is a rad place to live! Highly recommend this sushi place on main and 15th called nikkyu, they've got good food and $8 pitchers if you're into that sort of thing. Nightlife is pretty good in that area with The Biltmore and The Fox in Mt Pleasant and 303 Columbia in gastown hosts a weekly skate night every thursday.
Luckily vancouvers been blessed with some pretty great parks, especially once you venture out of the city into the suburbs. parks like Queensborough, Poco, and Cloverdale are some of the best spots outside of Van and are pretty much only 30-45 min outside of the city.

Pm me if ya ever need anything always down to help out someone new to town!

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »
did you make it over here yet?

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
Haha Tracer tell me when you're in Delta for a North Delta sesh. Anti-Social and Blvd Skateshop are the cool guy shops, Authentic Board Supply in Surrey usually has good deals. Plaza is a fun park, but the ledges are like street, rough granite. Bonsor by Metrotown is fun, Chuck Bailey, Cloverdale and North Delta in Surrey/Delta are great too. There's lots of good spots you just have to hunt.

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 05:31:01 AM »
did you make it over here yet?
I arrive on monday evening.

thanks for all the info guys!

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
Haha Tracer tell me when you're in Delta for a North Delta sesh. Anti-Social and Blvd Skateshop are the cool guy shops, Authentic Board Supply in Surrey usually has good deals. Plaza is a fun park, but the ledges are like street, rough granite. Bonsor by Metrotown is fun, Chuck Bailey, Cloverdale and North Delta in Surrey/Delta are great too. There's lots of good spots you just have to hunt.

is the north delta park still looking good these days? i haven't been there for so long. fond memories of hauling ass from one side of the park to the other as a young buck to hit the bump to bar. wouldn't mind re-visiting that place.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is the north delta park still looking good these days? i haven't been there for so long. fond memories of hauling ass from one side of the park to the other as a young buck to hit the bump to bar. wouldn't mind re-visiting that place.
Oh yeah, it's still glorious. The locs of my age have since passed on, but there's still the occasional ripper there. It's good because you basically get to shred the park while they stoner 16 year olds sit around in awe.

Tony Rave

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »

You couldn't pay me to go to Authentic .. worst store in BC ..Hands down ..

Cooner66

• Rep: -47
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
why?

cause the mad greek will be in there

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 01:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
why?
[close]

cause the mad greek will be in there
Hahaha  :D

vancanman

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 12:28:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Oh yeah, it's still glorious. The locs of my age have since passed on, but there's still the occasional ripper there. It's good because you basically get to shred the park while they stoner 16 year olds sit around in awe.
Love that park. The only down side is the rain has pitted the smooth cement and it now has the abrasive factor of pumice stone. Any skin that hits the ground will be swiftly removed. Since Chuck Bailey (right by the Gateway skytrain for out of towners) opened its been dead.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Love that park. The only down side is the rain has pitted the smooth cement and it now has the abrasive factor of pumice stone. Any skin that hits the ground will be swiftly removed. Since Chuck Bailey (right by the Gateway skytrain for out of towners) opened its been dead.
Which is weird because Delta is a 100x better for a street skater. I used to skate there every day, but the bus aint cheap to take every day. Cloverdale is way better then Chuck Bailey too. It's just full of fucking scooter kids.