Author Topic: Vancouver, BC  (Read 35873 times)

Glurmpz

Re: Vancouver, BC
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2020, 10:15:32 PM »
Skated it two weekends in a row on Sunday’s and no kick out in the back where the 5s are. It was super fun. Maybe just luck of timing? I don’t know. Anyhow, I agree that it’s kind of the best right now. You can skate around downtown and hit different spots and it still be fun. Sure a ton of stuff is still knobbed but just make the most of it and don’t be a whiny puss and you’ll be fine. UBC is a bit out there but fun to skate around as someone mentioned earlier.

Yeah maybe just luck of the draw - that's how it always was in the 90's/early 2000's. UBC definitely has lots of stuff - always new buildings popping up out there.

Mantracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
Now that its 4 degrees and monsooning out... where's the good indoor/covered spots at for winter?

Other than all over UBC I only know of Cambie/Winners parkade and all underneath waterfront/seabus station

Does Plaza or Cooper's park ever stay dry during the rain? last winter I was lazy and did not adventure out one bit

stoneyhawk

• Rep: 8
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
I heard the Granville island ramp is coming back in some capacity, covid permitting of course. The school board parkade off broadway might be good this winter if everyone is working from home?

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
this thread makes me miss living in vancouver, parks and spots as far as the eye could see

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
I skate UBC sometimes...there's a few local there that rub me the wrong way.....this older dude who acts like he owns the place and just likes to listen to himself talk....you'd think he'd find some other outlets for that....

Yo, do you know a guy named Rory whyte? skates plaza and ubc quite a bit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »
Expand Quote
I skate UBC sometimes...there's a few local there that rub me the wrong way.....this older dude who acts like he owns the place and just likes to listen to himself talk....you'd think he'd find some other outlets for that....
[close]

Yep....

They started capping stuff at VSB because every kid and their crew shows up....and security comes pretty regularly....pretty much it's watch your weather app and prioritize this winter....

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep....

They started capping stuff at VSB because every kid and their crew shows up....and security comes pretty regularly....pretty much it's watch your weather app and prioritize this winter....

Haha nice, his older brother is one of my best friends, use to skate with rory all the time, good dude.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2020, 11:12:56 PM »
Yah he's grown up to be quite the shredder.....

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if you can drive a trip out to tsawwassen is worth it. it's big and usually empty save the odd kid who shows up and does a few laps
[close]
Well - just make sure you go when kids are in school. That park has become horrible for scooters in recent years.
[close]
Haven’t seen a parent accompanied scooter pack since covid, granted I’ve avoided all the parks on the weekends. Seems the Kaydens and Aidons are confined to their suburbs... for now
if you want to have that theory heavily disproven, head out to the cloverdale skatepark on a saturday at around 1:30. there’s always tons of scooters, so morning sessions are becoming a regular thing for me :) they run “trains” of like 8 through the park, and the gather at the ends and make the wallride/steep bank at the end pretty much unskateable. the scoots are bountiful in cloverdale
niggling

[/quote]

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
Just got to Vancouver.

I took the required trip to antisocial and the park under the bridge. So far, I'm enjoying myself.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »
Just got to Vancouver.

I took the required trip to antisocial and the park under the bridge. So far, I'm enjoying myself.
welcome! coming up on a year here myself. great place, but the rain is no joke. prepare yourself.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2021, 10:17:53 PM »
Just got to Vancouver.

What did you think of the plaza?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2021, 01:21:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Just got to Vancouver.

[close]

What did you think of the plaza?

The plaza looked fun and as @Hash Slinging Slasher said the rain is no joke. I thought part of it might be skateable since it is under a bridge but it was drenched everywhere. I'm looking forward to going back and rolling around after I settle in.

I saw some dudes skating down by UBC Robson Square. One of the dudes was trying a pretty gnarly run.

Rent is crazy here, but I'm getting a few good offers, one property manager offered me 2 months free if I signed up for a year long lease, I'm trying to see if we can do 1 free month and a 6 month lease. Another is offering me a month to month lease and half of this month free.

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »
Welcome!

Rent can be huge here but hopefully you find a landlord you can trust and work out a good deal. The fact that those guys are offering you deals seems positive. A lot of people want to help you here even though it seems like everyone is super rich and entitled

Art Gallery/Robson Square downtown is sweet. UBC and Emily Carr have some good spots and are transit accessible. Everyone these days seems to be taking the skytrain to Marine Dr and skating the loading zone under the Mark's / Best Buy

Stick around until summer, its fucking amazing here. If I were you I'd take the 1 year lease, you'll want to stay.

Good luck with it all!

Glurmpz

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »
Welcome to Vancouver!

That south Vancouver Mark's/Best Buy lot is huge but if it's raining at all only the loading bay area is dry, and it's become a virtual skatepark these days, as far as the number of people there. I used to live a block away before it blew up and we always had it to ourselves back then. Still, people bring obstacles to skate so if you can deal with a crowd it's an option on rainy days. There's a bump over sidewalk in there too but again, only really good if it hasn't been raining hard. The loading bay part is always dry.

The Art Gallery/Law Courts underground downtown has been the go-to since at least the early 90's. Hit and miss as far as security is concerned. Half are totally cool with it, the other half are grumpy old farts who complain that you made them "walk a kilometer". Sometimes I just say I'm gonna leave and then stick around and never see them again anyway. It's mostly manual pads but there's a couple curb cuts, a rubbermaid can, and a long section of waxed curb against the wall.

There's other covered lots but no one wants to blow out the limited spots we have so you'll have to do the searching on your own for more than I've provided above. I'd suggest just poking your head into any covered lot you come across whether you have your board or not.

I've heard talk that the rather tight spine mini ramp is returning to Granville Island this year. That's another option, though I never hit it up when it was there before due to crowds.

Plaza will have dry strips if it hasn't been raining hard, but it's also incredibly rotten when it's wet in there and takes a while to dry due to all the divots in the ground. The granite got replaced last year though, so that's a bonus. Nice long slabs too. They somehow fucked up and forgot how to build skateparks when they did the renos, leaving gaps between some of the granite pieces, but I think they're doing ok now.

All of the schools in the lower mainland are being rebuilt since they're mostly 100+ years old, which so far has resulted in a lot of new spots. They've got countless schools to go still so you moved here at a great time - Vancouver has never been so blessed with good street spots as it is right now.

If you don't own a bike, buy one. This city is perfect for biking around to skates spots.

The rain is really hard to get used to, but once the borders are open I suggest doing what I do and escape to California each year for as long as you can afford in the winter. It helps immensely.

Have fun!

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
I was luckily enough to live in Kits on west 4th so close to the beach, right near downtown...I miss it so much...not so much the rain but looking forward to getting back to Vancouver.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2021, 10:11:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice on spots, I can't wait to check them out.

Also, my honeymoon with the rental market ended real quick. I have no idea why property managers lie about sound proofing.

"Will I hear TVs or conversations through the floor/ceiling?"

"Oh, no. This is a concrete building you won't hear anything. You don't hear anything now do you (at 4:00PM when everyone is at work)?"

I've been listening to my downstairs neighbor s TV for the past 4 hours and I can make out every word. Luckily, I've only given them my deposit (I paid it via interact), but I know this is still going to be a nightmare.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2021, 11:42:15 PM »

Also, my honeymoon with the rental market ended real quick. I have no idea why property managers lie about sound proofing.

"Oh, no. This is a concrete building you won't hear anything. You don't hear anything now do you (at 4:00PM when everyone is at work)?"

I've been listening to my downstairs neighbor s TV for the past 4 hours and I can make out every word. Luckily, I've only given them my deposit (I paid it via interact), but I know this is still going to be a nightmare.

There's a totally dry parking garage around west 42nd and yew St. In kerrisdale.
Couple of curbs and a little ledge inside. I skated there a lot when I lived in kerrisdale.  Got kicked out once in awhile but security was chill.  There's a school on maple and 49th with some stuff to skate. Curbs, little step ledges outside the front door, and like a long 3, flat, 3, flat 3 set around back. I used to skate there a lot in the evenings. Allyways in East Van are always fun to skate. There's always junk to riffle through or people to meet for whatever. Quilchina skatepark on Arbutus and 33rd is in the neighborhood too. It's small, and nothing crazy but it's never busy.

Glurmpz

« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2021, 03:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's a totally dry parking garage around west 42nd and yew St. In kerrisdale.
Couple of curbs and a little ledge inside. I skated there a lot when I lived in kerrisdale.  Got kicked out once in awhile but security was chill.  There's a school on maple and 49th with some stuff to skate. Curbs, little step ledges outside the front door, and like a long 3, flat, 3, flat 3 set around back. I used to skate there a lot in the evenings.

Man, that school got redone and is amazing now. Ledge land. Tons of manual options too. Only finished since it's been mostly wet out so the full potential won't be realized until spring. I popped by there today actually, but it was wet and there was a crew already skating the small dry part. Checked out that underground parking lot afterward - didn't see a ledge but saw the yellow sidewalk curbs waxed up. Shame the ground is literally sandpaper. Still, in that area it's something for the long winters.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2021, 09:37:31 PM »
Oh that's sweet they've redone that school. I haven't lived in Vancouver for about six years now, and stuff changes so god damn fast in that city. You're right about the parking garage, it was a god send on those loooooooong wet winters, and I only lived a block away I could just walk there.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »
Funny I just found that parking garage yesterday driving around....I'm a ground snob too though...

They redid quichena a couple years back so now there are people there but it's not too bad. 

Right now rent isn't cheap, but there's more availability than usual and its relative....ask what people pay in SF and you'll feel better.  You usually take your lumps on your first spot but keep looking....

There's a baby DIY under the burrard bridge. Should be done next weekend. 

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2021, 08:26:08 PM »
Funny I just found that parking garage yesterday driving around....I'm a ground snob too though...

They redid quichena a couple years back so now there are people there but it's not too bad. 

Right now rent isn't cheap, but there's more availability than usual and its relative....ask what people pay in SF and you'll feel better.  You usually take your lumps on your first spot but keep looking....

When its done, take some photos bro, i skated it a few years back when it was just a sketchy ramp and some slabs of wood thrown around, be curious to what it looks llike now

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2021, 02:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When its done, take some photos bro, i skated it a few years back when it was just a sketchy ramp and some slabs of wood thrown around, be curious to what it looks llike now

It's actually right next to the old one which is kind of still around but really shitty now. I live just down the street and last I saw there was just the one quarter, this new shit looks great!

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
ahhhh man that looks fun, its small and simple but looks pretty chill if you live close. I lived on 4th and my buddy lived on 1st just off burrard, cheers for the photo homie

stoneyhawk

• Rep: 8
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:05 PM »
I don't believe someone offered you two months free rent with a lease, must be a fake :o :o :o

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2021, 11:08:53 PM »
We all seem to live/lived right by this spot yet prolly never talked to each other.....it's kinda the Vancouver way......

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2021, 01:39:46 AM »
I don't believe someone offered you two months free rent with a lease, must be a fake :o :o :o
The elevator in the building will be out for a month so that was part of the reason for the incentive...

...but just walking around the West End today I saw the beach towers were offering first and last month free.

Covid is super shitty, but it seems now is the time to negotiate rent.

And, I don't know the laws here, but a month or two free is probably better than actually lowering the rent. As soon as life goes back to normal the landlord can immediately go back to collecting absurd rent prices without worrying about legal limits on rent increases.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2021, 07:21:59 PM »
We all seem to live/lived right by this spot yet prolly never talked to each other.....it's kinda the Vancouver way......

hahah aint that the truth. Each time i was skating under the bridge nobody else ever showed up.... dont think there was many other spots in kits i skated apart from a school a few blocks from darbys.
Ahhh i cant wait to covid chills so i can fly back for a visit, funnest 4 years of my life living there....apart from being broke 27/7

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »
Skated the plaza a couple times now... the local dudes rip.

It is a little weird trying to recover from my injuries last fall and feeling a bit awkward on my board, but still super fun. And, most of the dudes seem pretty cool. No one is insanely overly friendly but I haven't seen too many dudes that are just "too cool" to be polite.

Glurmpz

« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2021, 08:53:54 PM »
Skated the plaza a couple times now... the local dudes rip.

It is a little weird trying to recover from my injuries last fall and feeling a bit awkward on my board, but still super fun. And, most of the dudes seem pretty cool. No one is insanely overly friendly but I haven't seen too many dudes that are just "too cool" to be polite.

Nice. I might head down there tomorrow in the day. It's been fairly mild.