Author Topic: Colin Mckay interview about true  (Read 17223 times)

sid vicious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Colin Mckay interview about true
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
said the same thing about his footage on skate talk a few years ago.....your a pro skater with a video deadline which was super long, if you can't produce it's a sign your time is up, we can't all skate forever, your a legend but at some point you have to stop pretending and making excuses

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
Gip hit the nail on the head. When Colin said "you can't skate for 8 hours a day when you have kids" I just thought about all my colleagues who have kids and work 10-12 hour days.

I know they have to give their input into the brands, but c'mon, I doubt either one is managing any major aspect of any brand to where they are needed on a daily basis. If anything it is a 'want' and not a 'need' to get involved.

I think Colin understimates the value of his footage. I never fast forward a Colin part - he has always been my favorite vert skater.

The video would be so much more enjoyable if you just peppered the legends throughout. Those whose footage is less about being groundbreaking, and more about getting to appreciate the work of people you grew up watching. This is what was lacking from True. Whatever Danny and Colin produce may be better in their own eyes, but it will be less archived and less a part of our history.

As to PJ, that Black Swan comparison is brutal. Guess we will never get the real story with that one.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
I dunno I kind of find it hard to believe that he simply just didn't think his footage was good enough therefore he didn't have a part. I doubt Danny was like "Ok PJ, this videos super important and you're a key rider for us and despite all the hype and this huge pile of footage of yours, we won't put anything just because you don't want to". What kind of boss would say that? It's gotta be some extra behind the scenes shit going on. I know he's filming for new balance but still, he's been on all their tours and has had good footage in multiple edits, so don't think he's hoarding footage for that either because he's already shown he can produce for them. I can understand being in the shadow of his WHL part can be daunting but still...you're a professional skateboarder who gets paid to sell product & produce footage, you gotta put out SOMETHING. How the fuck does Pat Duffy come thru with a full part while all the other vets come up with BS excuses for not doing their job in a video that THEY hyped up the most!? He coulda just did the same type of stuff in his New Balance & Real Street parts and people woulda fine...something's always better than nothing

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
I dunno I kind of find it hard to believe that he simply just didn't think his footage was good enough therefore he didn't have a part. I doubt Danny was like "Ok PJ, this videos super important and you're a key rider for us and despite all the hype and this huge pile of footage of yours, we won't put anything just because you don't want to". What kind of boss would say that? It's gotta be some extra behind the scenes shit going on. I know he's filming for new balance but still, he's been on all their tours and has had good footage in multiple edits, so don't think he's hoarding footage for that either because he's already shown he can produce for them. I can understand being in the shadow of his WHL part can be daunting but still...you're a professional skateboarder who gets paid to sell product & produce footage, you gotta put out SOMETHING. How the fuck does Pat Duffy come thru with a full part while all the other vets come up with BS excuses for not doing their job in a video that THEY hyped up the most!? He coulda just did the same type of stuff in his New Balance & Real Street parts and people woulda fine...something's always better than nothing

Agree. Someone else said that he knows he can't produce another WHL part, but why not? It's not like there is Reynolds in Baker 3 type jumping going on, give the people what they want PJ. We just wanna see you skate (and not in a flatground game of skate).

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »
I think it's just the pressure he puts on himself, because of people's expectations. Read any comments section of anything regarding PJ Ladd. Every kid expects PJ to change skateboarding again. He knows that's not going to happen. If anyone else released whatever footage PJ is sitting on, they would be worshipped. But since every "YouTube comments kid" (for lack of a better term) has set their expectations so high, there's no way he can live up to it. But I'm sure he is trying to. Try to do the impossible... Cue mental breakdown.

Look at how crucified Sheckler is getting for claiming a trick he almost got, and planned to go back and get. Kids are borederline slitting their wrists. If their god PJ just put out a really good part, but wasn't earth shattering, kids would shit all over him.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:03 PM »
These diva pros are unbearable, film skating and it's done. How many of these egotards are 40 years old banking on 1 last part for retirement? regular they all want to go out like a bang, I like the Suciu attitude, if this part sucks next one will be better.

OldmanEpic

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 07:27:21 PM »
fuckin super fans make all this shit up

pj is pj

he had no issues putting out a small part for brick harbour, right?

fuck right off you idiots. PJ will put our a part when he feels like it

When others take that stance many are all over their dicks.

oh but its dylan or whoever the fuck. bug fuckin deal you spoiled little brats.

go fuckin skate and take off your panties

Single4eveR

• Rep: 1
  • "Not looking for a hook-up!"
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
I think Danny Way is a piece of shit and he deserves all the disappointment and ill will he's had directed his way over the True disaster, but I've always somewhat liked Colin. In fact, the most distasteful thing to me about Colin has been his close association with Danny Way. He's always seemed like the reasonable sidekick to the shithead alpha male - the guy who hands you your glasses after his friend kicks the shit of you.
I love uppers and I've had a long, sometimes tumultuous, but ultimately fulfilling relationship with them. Of course I don't know the extent of his drug use but it's not obvious to me that he's got a coke problem.  He's probably worn out.
Imagine his position.  He's been running a company with a murderous bigot for 10 years. Said company had a legacy of sponsoring the most talented, genre-defining skaters of their time. That legacy coupled with years of frustrating "coming soon" ads/trailers already probably made expectations unmeetable. Then, The murderous bigot with a shitty jock mentality decides he has something to prove to the nerds and "artfags" who embarrassed his coach 20 years ago and starts publicly talking shit on girl, pretty sweet, etc. As a result, more and more skaters came to view the plan b video as something to root against.
By the time November, 2014 rolls around and Colin knows every reason that the video is not up to par the dread and anxiety over releasing your giant failure to a public that will largely delight in your failure has to be crushing.
Also, if you close your eyes  Colin's voice starting to sound just like Steve Olson's.

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
I took it as PJ is off or gonna leave soon. He questioned why he didn't have a part after skating 24/7. And he pulled that Pj is family shit that they did when Prod left.

southsecond

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »
Got it from a reliable source that PJ simply didn't film anything. The reliable source asked Colin if PJ would get kicked off for not coming through, and Colin's response was, "Who the fuck else is gonna pick him up now?"

shit_for_brains

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
I still believe what SHMANDERSON said however many weeks ago about PJ.

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »

I always wondered why he was behind the couch. Anyone know any Flip lore about PJ? Has he ever had a legit interview?

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
Got it from a reliable source that PJ simply didn't film anything. The reliable source asked Colin if PJ would get kicked off for not coming through, and Colin's response was, "Who the fuck else is gonna pick him up now?"

Yea, PJ didn't film anything that is why this teaser was made, gmafb:

sluggers

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »
And, like I said in the "who cares" thread Sheckler claiming he did it made at least a handful of kids not even attempt it when one of them actually could have which is a real dick move.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

Didn't Duffy almost end his career after breaking his leg on the Mega Ramp as well?  I haven't seen the video yet, but if he was able to come back from that and film a full part, then it doesn't make any sense why other people who haven't had those (or similar) issues shouldn't be able to.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
The black swan reference just basically made me think PJ went insane, had lesbian sex with Mila Kunis, and then wasn't satisfied with anything he produced no matter how good it was.
I want to see a new Colin part. He's always been one of the most interesting vert skaters. Like a tech ledge skater on transition. I don't think he was claiming the backside flip as hard as the headline claimed, he does say he doesn't want to speak for him, but seemed more confident he could and that he wanted to.

The lamest thing ever is when pros claim having a family makes it harder to do their job. Motherfucker, its your job, and now you got kids to feed. In no other version of reality do people have kids and decide that its a good time to start working less hard at their job when they are the family bread winner. No other version of reality. Less time for friends? Of course. No more going out partying? Given. Stop showing up at work? Are you fucking kidding me? Why the fuck would you do that?!

Homer gets it.

Oh, and fuck that drewday kid. I'm kooking whoever linked me to a video where I had to look at his face.
Hahahaha. Nice. I'd never thought about that.

sluggers

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »
Also. Colin is on some meth or coke in this interview which is unfortunate. Anyone who has been there knows something is up.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
The black swan reference just basically made me think PJ went insane, had lesbian sex with Mila Kunis, and then wasn't satisfied with anything he produced no matter how good it was.
I want to see a new Colin part. He's always been one of the most interesting vert skaters. Like a tech ledge skater on transition. I don't think he was claiming the backside flip as hard as the headline claimed, he does say he doesn't want to speak for him, but seemed more confident he could and that he wanted to.

The lamest thing ever is when pros claim having a family makes it harder to do their job. Motherfucker, its your job, and now you got kids to feed. In no other version of reality do people have kids and decide that its a good time to start working less hard at their job when they are the family bread winner. No other version of reality. Less time for friends? Of course. No more going out partying? Given. Stop showing up at work? Are you fucking kidding me? Why the fuck would you do that?!

Homer gets it.

Oh, and fuck that drewday kid. I'm kooking whoever linked me to a video where I had to look at his face.
While I agree with most of your post I think some pros find it very hard balancing parenting and their relationships with all the touring involved to promote their sponsors and getting footage for videos. I remember MJ saying he missed something like 4 of his kids birthday due to the travel of fully flared, and I can easily see peoples wives having trouble with their husbands travelling so much. So while they didn't have these responsibilities when they were younger and just travelling the world, now they are less able to solely focus on skating due to added levels of stress.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
If he's on Coke there he needs to find a new dealer.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote

Homer gets it.

[close]
While I agree with most of your post I think some pros find it very hard balancing parenting and their relationships with all the touring involved to promote their sponsors and getting footage for videos. I remember MJ saying he missed something like 4 of his kids birthday due to the travel of fully flared, and I can easily see peoples wives having trouble with their husbands travelling so much. So while they didn't have these responsibilities when they were younger and just travelling the world, now they are less able to solely focus on skating due to added levels of stress.

In 10 years, you could be on 1/3 of the Antwuan suggested success plan put forth by Reynolds and stilll have 40 tricks, which is a solid part. 1 trick every 3 months. Boom. It's your job to skateboard. Working professionals all have shit to deal with too. No excuses.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:49:20 PM by RCB3 »

Irvine-Sucks.com

sluggers

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
If he's on Coke there he needs to find a new dealer.

Yea, because his eyes are not glazed over enough and he does not keep sniffing his nose enough.

SomeWorries

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2014, 11:28:57 PM »
It seems like nobody on Plan B wants to take responsibility for the lack of footage on some of the riders. I think it’s really lame to say I couldn’t get footage because I’m living a jobless lifestyle. Wtf does that mean!? I remember when the footage of heath kirchart in stay gold came out I thought it was awesome the way he decided to exit out the career as a professional skater. He had a few new clips that satisfied us but in the end he knew he couldn’t keep living up to some of his previous standards so he left and is doing his own thing. If you can’t physically do it anymore, just call it quits no need for excuses. Just come out with the footage that you have and work fulltime on managing your company that has little to no respect at this point.

It’s also really lame to claim Shecklers bs flip like that after he can’t even claim when he would be done with his part.

Because Heath has what about six dudes in the history of professional skateboarding have: Integrity.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »
I can't see why people are hating on this. What more could you want from him? He was asked questions and answered them.

It seemed to me like he was saying that PJ, Way and he will all have parts coming out over the next year.

Sounds good.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

BarcelonaCEO

• Rep: -24
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
I dont care as long as I see a fucking another pj ladd part. A good one.

ShpotaSb

• Rep: -28
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 12:08:10 AM »
And, like I said in the "who cares" thread Sheckler claiming he did it made at least a handful of kids not even attempt it when one of them actually could have which is a real dick move.
Thats highly unlikely, and if Sheckler couldnt do it, I doubt some random unknown kid could do it.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 12:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote

Homer gets it.

[close]

Danny Way has a megapark in his backyard, and Im sure Colin does not have to travel to skate a vert ramp. His excuses in that interview are terrible, he is just lazy as fuck and Danny Way is probably just crying in the corner watching Bob parts. Colin says he is 39 now, and its harder to film a part and focus on skating. Ok, but he was maybe 30 when Plan B started and still havent filmed shit, he is just slacking and everybody knows that. There is no way in hell he is gonna put out another part, Im putting my money on it.

And as for PJ, I just want to appologize to the dude that I was talking shit before the video came out, and he was saying that PJ is not gonna have a part, or just a short one. Cmon PJ, you are still the best, just release the footage, any footage.

ratherwatch

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:33 AM »
I always thought the best case scenario for a professional skater was to make enough money that you no longer had to take your fun seriously before you got fully sickened by the slog of it all. Then you can do all the fun bits with none of the drag. If that's where these guys are now, good luck to them.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 04:14:57 AM »
It's Plan B. The brand's primary purpose is to amass the best team in the world and show off their talent via the best videos. That's what made Plan B great in the early 90's. Why else would you resurrect it, if you weren't going to follow through. Frankly, I love the video. Joslin was amazing and the rest of the guys put on a good show. But three of their pros (including the two founders) being a no show is a joke. Especially considering they heavily advertised their participation for years beforehand.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

jexe

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2014, 05:11:41 AM »
ever heard the paul mccartney conspiracy about the beatles? where he supposedly died during the height of their fame, and fans wouldn't be able to take the news so they replaced him with a look alike?

Thats my theory on where the Pj part is...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:13:53 AM by jexe »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2014, 06:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Homer gets it.

[close]

So it's pretty much like having a higher or senior level job that requires travel and working overtime while having a family?  People have been doing that for a while now and yeah, it sucks sometimes and can be difficult but again, that's your job.  If you're missing four of your kid's birthdays in a row for a video and it's bothering you, then it's up to you to be an adult and go talk to your sponsors to work out a way to balance your life just like it's your responsibility to go talk to your CEO or company president if you're not happy with the hours you're working.  Other people have jobs (some of which have infinitely more important outcomes than a skate video) and families and are able to make it work.  There is no reason that a 30 something year old pro can't fulfill all of his responsibilities if he wants to.

EDIT: Someone mentioned Reynolds a little bit ago and he's a great example of this.  He has a young daughter, runs a board company, helps run a distribution company and so he has a hand in all of those companies to some extent, owns and runs a clothing company, is heavily involved in Emerica, and still managed to travel and film three or four great parts in the last 10 years (and is filming for Made 2 right now).  That puts a lot of people to shame.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:50:31 AM by oyolar »