Author Topic: New Chandon shit.  (Read 36352 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
Re: New Chandon shit.
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:04 PM »
If that Otoko shirt said Otaku, I'd wear it

Even オカマ might be cooler.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
really like that bird deck

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
I bought a shirt and the quality is kind of disappointing. For that amount of money, I figure it would feel better.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 12:11:05 PM »
He might have ideas, but I don't think he's exicuting them very well... I mean look at the Larry Levan shirt, its basically just a bunch of song names and it looks like he couldn't pick which ones he liked best so just included them all and typed them onto a t-shirt template.

I hate to say it, but this is how this brand and unfortunately 3D is to me right now. There's a reason people go to design school. The ideas might be there but then they finally have the brand they've been dreaming about and don't really know what to do with it.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2015, 05:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
If that Otoko shirt said Otaku, I'd wear it
[close]

Even オカマ might be cooler.

I'd rock a サラリーマン one maybe. The 男 shit is  too cliched.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
He might have ideas, but I don't think he's exicuting them very well... I mean look at the Larry Levan shirt, its basically just a bunch of song names and it looks like he couldn't pick which ones he liked best so just included them all and typed them onto a t-shirt template.

I hate to say it, but this is how this brand and unfortunately 3D is to me right now. There's a reason people go to design school. The ideas might be there but then they finally have the brand they've been dreaming about and don't really know what to do with it.

I agree with you. His new decks are horrible too. And seeing as how his stuff went from selling out the day it was released to still having stock weeks later, I doubt we are the only ones who are noticing a decline in design and execution.  He should go back to his once a month type release schedule and put a lot more thought into the products instead of putting crappy stuff out every week or two.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
You guys shitting on 3D over this are out of your minds. Yeah, selling  $60 bandannas and $80 bucket hats to stupid hipsters is so DIY.  3D doesn't have a good art direction, let's buy overpriced blanks with the size of the deck printed on it. So clever!

Alex Olson reeks of "cool guy" and I think it's pretty lame how this attitude has been catching on in skateboarding.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with you. His new decks are horrible too. And seeing as how his stuff went from selling out the day it was released to still having stock weeks later, I doubt we are the only ones who are noticing a decline in design and execution.� He should go back to his once a month type release schedule and put a lot more thought into the products instead of putting crappy stuff out every week or two.

This. Totally agree with you both. Each subsequent drop feels less inspired than the previous. And I am amazed at how long the boards remain available. Maybe he's having more made with each run, or maybe they just aren't as appealing as they originally were. The Larry Levan Pro Model board was a total miss, IMO. It couldn't have been more generic. That is, until the new drop today....the sizes are listed on the board as the graphic. Not quite sure what to even say about 'approach'.

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with you. His new decks are horrible too. And seeing as how his stuff went from selling out the day it was released to still having stock weeks later, I doubt we are the only ones who are noticing a decline in design and execution.� He should go back to his once a month type release schedule and put a lot more thought into the products instead of putting crappy stuff out every week or two.
[close]

This. Totally agree with you both. Each subsequent drop feels less inspired than the previous. And I am amazed at how long the boards remain available. Maybe he's having more made with each run, or maybe they just aren't as appealing as they originally were. The Larry Levan Pro Model board was a total miss, IMO. It couldn't have been more generic. That is, until the new drop today....the sizes are listed on the board as the graphic. Not quite sure what to even say about 'approach'.
i think the new boards look clean, but honestly would only ride one if it was free haha. it's kinda funny. i bet his logic was whenever a rando asks him what size his board is he can now just flip it over real quick, then flip it back and ride away without talking to they lame ass cause he's so (too?) cool.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
those boards are very minimalist, but not necessarily in a good way

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
those boards are very minimalist, but not necessarily in a good way

Agreed.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
Yeah, selling  $60 bandannas and $80 bucket hats to stupid hipsters is so DIY. I think it's pretty lame how this attitude has been catching on in skateboarding.

Greg Road

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »
This guy needs to take a breather and get some inspiration. If his wasn't behind any of this it would have tanked months ago.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2015, 12:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
i think the new boards look clean, but honestly would only ride one if it was free haha. it's kinda funny. i bet his logic was whenever a rando asks him what size his board is he can now just flip it over real quick, then flip it back and ride away without talking to they lame ass cause he's so (too?) cool.

HAHAHAHAHA!

lovin' my black crew-neck logotype sweater on this cold weather

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
This guy needs to take a breather and get some inspiration. If his wasn't behind any of this it would have tanked months ago.
no it wouldn't have

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »
The 8.25 graphic is by far the best of the three.

The emperor's new clothes of the skateboard industry.

*Side note, I saw someone wearing the French cap the other day, they looked ridiculous.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
You guys shitting on 3D over this are out of your minds. Yeah, selling  $60 bandannas and $80 bucket hats to stupid hipsters is so DIY.  3D doesn't have a good art direction, let's buy overpriced blanks with the size of the deck printed on it. So clever!

Alex Olson reeks of "cool guy" and I think it's pretty lame how this attitude has been catching on in skateboarding.
I'm not shitting on 3D. If you read my post above, I'm saying that these guys both have ideas based on a certain aesthetic (pun intented? aesthetics ruled) but after all this hype, they really don't know how to convey their image beyond the first drop. I was very eagerly awaiting 3D to drop because I love BA, but it's like he compressed all of the ideas he had for this company into a few boards and now there's no where else to go. I don't care that Bianca has a 70's/gay/disco image, that's fine, do what you want, but printed the sizes of the boards on the bottom for a graphic? That has absolutely no creative input at all unless I'm not educated in art to understand it. The board with the black car and the other floral graphic he put out I actually like. If he's so inspired by this Larry Levan character, I would assume he can draw something from the mans namesake to create a truly dedicated graphic or ode to him. Not use one of the first 3 fonts that come up on word on a solid color background.  I like Alex's skating, and I don't like to hate, but it's almost laughable if you/anyone thinks those new boards are creative.

Also, to whoever said their enjoying their sweatshirt they overpaid for... I'm enjoying my thrift store pull over with a local HVAC logo on it that I've been rocking for 3 years and my wallet is too. I don't want to be afraid to sweat in my own clothing...

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »
If he's so inspired by this Larry Levan character, I would assume he can draw something from the mans namesake to create a truly dedicated graphic or ode to him. Not use one of the first 3 fonts that come up on word on a solid color background. 

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »
Expand Quote
If he's so inspired by this Larry Levan character, I would assume he can draw something from the mans namesake to create a truly dedicated graphic or ode to him. Not use one of the first 3 fonts that come up on word on a solid color background. 
[close]
i actually saw the board at supreme, and it has an actual graphic instead of writing. i guess he just chose not to put the graphic on the website? i think it was just a group photo at a club with larry levan front and center.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
i actually saw the board at supreme, and it has an actual graphic instead of writing. i guess he just chose not to put the graphic on the website? i think it was just a group photo at a club with larry levan front and center.
Why wouldn't he show the graphic? Maybe it's another model he made for him?
Can I get a get a job at BC yet? I actually had to scroll down on Google Images for this one!

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Why wouldn't he show the graphic? Maybe it's another model he made for him?
Can I get a get a job at BC yet? I actually had to scroll down on Google Images for this one!

yeah look at the photos Bianca is tagged in on insta, there's one that you can see

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
Devil's advocate: I actually kind of like the graphics that are up on the site right now, even the ones that just say the size. I like painting over my graphics to just have a solid color bottom so these painfully simple graphics kind of appeal to me and I don't think that's ever been done before in skateboarding really. Being a graphic design student, I can see these appealing to a certain kind of crowd if more designers skated/still skated.

That said, it IS total bullshit that these decks are all that he's running with right now. I agree that they are uninspired and feel half-assed, especially since this was supposed to be a new form of a skate company. I look at something like Greco's Hammers brand and I see a little bit of overlap in aesthetic (Bianca Chandon's Voguing board, Hammers' Hammers board) but if you compare the branding overall, Hammers feels like a genuine effort from a guy living in a skatepark whereas Bianca Chandon feels like bootleg Supreme. I like Alex Olson's skating, and the original concept behind his brand felt fresh when it first came out, but for somebody with the freedom to do whatever he wants with his company I would think he would push it further.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Greg Road

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2015, 12:15:09 AM »
Dude's run out of gay culture? He's resolved to blank decks and bucket hats? C'mon Olson. Disco inspired graphics? Flashy bell bottoms? High Heels?

Showerface

• Rep: -7
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
I bought the pink Dogtown Tee from Firmament in Berlin back in January.. Weird that they've only recently gone up on the website.

fredtempleton

• Rep: -11
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 09:35:41 PM »

that could apply to everything in skateboarding streetwear tho, like how dope can a t shirt be, like sick vaporwave bronze shirt fagit

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that could apply to everything in skateboarding streetwear tho, like how dope can a t shirt be, like sick vaporwave bronze shirt fagit

Wonder why people throw the faggot word around. Sounds awful.

fangen

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
shut up ya gay faggot

Greg Road

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
Selection is shit. Uninspired shit. I hope you read this Alex! It's fucking booooooooooring!

colin

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »
This is pretty dope:

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
I bought my boyfriend that Paradise Garage shirt and he's stoked on it because he's old and actually went there. For this I will always be grateful to BC.