Author Topic: Best Shoe for Old Fat Guys (That Skate)?  (Read 7024 times)

Heather Chandler

Best Shoe for Old Fat Guys (That Skate)?
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
I'm an old fat guy.  I turned 42 yesterday and weigh in usually around 215, on a good day.  I've got shit knees and it's not uncommon for back pain to pop up out of the blue after skating.  So, I've noticed with some shoes, say Vans Era Pro, I feel good skating in them, but when I'm done it usually feels like someone has an acetylene torch under both knee caps and my body is sore as hell, and that's just from mediocre low impact skate park skating. Those shoes with more cushioning, and of the cupsole variety, usually leave me feeling pretty good.  Three of my favorites so far have been the BA, Reynolds3, and the always comfortable Dunk Lo Pro.  Anyone else have any particular favorites? Merry New Year!

Randozzi

Re: Best Shoe for Old Fat Guys (That Skate)?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »
The Vincent Alvarez is pretty good as well. Skated a couple pairs and didn't have any pain problems with them until they started to get pretty thin. sole lasted for a wile too.
The Emerica Herman G6 is pretty good as well for old knees. Liked the pair I had.

dillanharp

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
Wearing the BAs right now. Really disappointed they're going away. All of the EMERICA G6 stuff is great. Westgates are my favorite.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
Any of the Nike stuff with a Lunarlon midsole is perfect and supportive, like the BA's, Gatos, Prod 7's.

tony volume

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
I got the Prod 8's. They are so damn comfortable. Slightly more than the BA's.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
Also the Lunar Gato is a great option. Those with the thinnest Footprint insole was the best option for me.

coneklr

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
Also the Lunar Gato is a great option.

This!  Also the Busenitz adv and the Koston 1 have all left me feeling better than other shoes I may prefer to skate in.  ( es, vans, etc that offer little actual cushioning/support. )

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Get some Footprint Orthotic insoles. My back used to be so fucked up, and they really helped. When I put them in Vans Era Pros (which caused me problems), my back would feel fine. They say they help knee problems too.

https://fpinsoles.3dcartstores.com/Insoles_c_1.html The orthotic ones are the ones you would need; They form to your arch using body heat. The gamechangers are really good too, but cost a little extra. The gamechangers are put in the oven and heated up until they are soft, then you put them in your shoes and walk around so that they mold to your arch.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Koston 1 and project BA. I'm 5'11. 200lbs. Don't burn me at the cross but nike definetly makes the best lasting/comfy skate shoes. Prior to SB I wore lakai and was happy.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Did reviews for both the BA's and reynolds and you couldn't go wrong with either one, although the BA's are more comfortable and the Reynolds being more durable. Id say get whatever you think looks good and can find for the cheapest. There will be an adjustment period going to those from a vulc shoe because it'll definitely feel considerably thicker at first but once you break em in you'll be skating in them just fine and your back and knees will thank you for it.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
Koston 1 and project BA. I'm 5'11. 200lbs. Don't burn me at the cross but nike definetly makes the best lasting/comfy skate shoes. Prior to SB I wore lakai and was happy.

The BA's are awesome for comfort and stability. I wore  the BA's Prod7s Koston 1 and the 2s - i feel the lunarlon midsole is much more comfortable than the lunarlon insole (the ones inside the kostons, and Cons CTS) aren't as good as the midsole that has the lunar bed.. im 28 and i feel you on the pain you can get after skating in thin shoes..
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
You guys ever get bad heel pain?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
When you said Reynolds 3, I thought  ???, but when I scrolled down ;D (Emerica really confused alotta people by putting his OCD "3" on his shoe)

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
It's already been said but the ba'a are such a good shoe. Comfy, protective, and they last super long. Gatos are also proper

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:39:27 AM »
i went from the Herman G6 (which i loved) to the CTAS pro (which i loved) to trying the BAs. The BAs were super bulky and kinda weird to get used to coming from the CTAS Pro. ive been wearing the BAs at work to try to break them in more since i havent skated much lately but they still feel super stiff. ive decided to go back to CTAS pros because the board feel is really great and the lunarlon insole gives me enough cushion, i dont skate gaps or big drops.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 03:04:02 AM »
For a big dude, your favorites seem like good choices. Haven't skated the BA's but the Reynolds and Dunks are something that are surely good for your feet.

For people recommending Koston 1's, aren't those super thin? A big guy wants some cushion, i would imagine. I'm not big, I'm just old.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
For a big dude, your favorites seem like good choices. Haven't skated the BA's but the Reynolds and Dunks are something that are surely good for your feet.

For people recommending Koston 1's, aren't those super thin? A big guy wants some cushion, i would imagine. I'm not big, I'm just old.

Koston 1's are fairly thin for a cupsole. I just finished skating a pair of the koston 1 mids and they are fairly thin for a cupsole. Probably the thinnest id ever go. the lunarlon insole still makes it cushy but the actual sole is about as thin as it can get without being a vulc. They're solid shoes if thats what you're looking for but I still think the the Reynolds or BA's would be your best bet if you want the most support possible. Dunks and Prod 7's would be good if you still want that support but need a little more boardfeel than the other 2.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
Yeah....if your knees are already a problem....and you're big....might as well start messing with Hightops cause ankle problems wouldn't be crazy talk....

Heather Chandler

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
Yeah....if your knees are already a problem....and you're big....might as well start messing with Hightops cause ankle problems wouldn't be crazy talk....

Yep, I like the dunk hi's.  The new materials seem so stiff compared to OG hi's.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 11:36:08 PM »
Yeah....agreed....mike mo mid?  Or the Reynolds...I tries em....way too thick for me but if you're skating a dunk....not too far off....

I always mention just ponying up for legit sport orthotics....