Author Topic: Vans video.  (Read 150617 times)

darkslideoftheforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
Re: Vans video.
« Reply #660 on: May 06, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »
Finally got to see it. Really good, obv. Greg Hunt nailed it. Everyone was killing, but I gotta say Rowan Zorilla.... Wow.

It was a struggle to get this shit though. Amazon and Google links wasn't available in my country. Couldn't download on itunes due to a billing problem with my account. Got my girlfriend to gift it to me, but I still couldn't redeem the fucking gift code cause I owed itunes money. Had to set up a fake apple id and redeem the code from there. Jesus christ.. But it was well worth it though.

tldr: fuck itunes and fuck amazon and google as well

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #661 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
Finally got to see it. Really good, obv. Greg Hunt nailed it. Everyone was killing, but I gotta say Rowan Zorilla.... Wow.

It was a struggle to get this shit though. Amazon and Google links wasn't available in my country. Couldn't download on itunes due to a billing problem with my account. Got my girlfriend to gift it to me, but I still couldn't redeem the fucking gift code cause I owed itunes money. Had to set up a fake apple id and redeem the code from there. Jesus christ.. But it was well worth it though.

tldr: fuck itunes and fuck amazon and google as well

I agree. All I wanted in life was to go home and watch it after working 32 of the last 48 hours, of course my itunes got all fucked up and amazon and google play wouldn't sell it to me since im in europe. I got it to work on an ipad but I wanna watch it in full resolution on a fucking tv, so I've only watch a couple of parts.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #662 on: May 06, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
My favorite trick is TnT's boneless to cross bone/Lien air....Tooo Good  :o :o
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:11:58 PM by Bill »
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #663 on: May 06, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
there were like three lines in this video  :(

Haha! Gnarred for bringing in some hate. SLAPs gone soft!
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #664 on: May 06, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »
Just went through it for the second time. Fucking Elijah Berle is gnarly... This part did him way more justice than his pretty sweet part. People wasn't talking much of Chima's part, so I didn't know what to expect, but god damn he went hard. His part is like 80% switch too.

Rowley had maybe the most death defying trick in the video with the 5050 on the bridge. Still fucking fearless after all these years.

The late shuv count is up there. I'm fine with that.

Only (kind of) negative thing about this video is actually the soundtrack. Not that it was bad or anything, but pretty bland (at least to me). It'll be on repeat for awhile now though, so maybe the songs will grow on me.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:33:56 PM by darkslideoftheforce »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #665 on: May 06, 2015, 03:04:04 PM »
My favorite trick is TnT's boneless to cross bone/Lien air....Tooo Good  :o :o

Speaking of TNT (and again off topic), Munchies just posted a vid of him cooking Mission style tacos at his place in SF.

http://munchies.vice.com/videos/how-to-make-mission-style-tacos-with-tony-trujillo
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #666 on: May 06, 2015, 05:25:31 PM »
Chris Pfanners part has made my main focus in life to learn how to skate handrails.

I still cannot get over that gap to back lip. He is going so fucking fast I can hardly comprehend it.

Great video overall. Can easily watch the whole thing through. Even though I already own a digital copy I'm gonna buy the physical version with all the extras.
I've heard from the guys at my skate shop that instead of selling physical copies Vans might just give a free copy with every purchase of vans shoes, I don't think it's official or anything yet but they were talking to the owner of the shop telling him this is what they might do.  So it's an idea floating around for them to do I guess

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #667 on: May 06, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Chris Pfanners part has made my main focus in life to learn how to skate handrails.

I still cannot get over that gap to back lip. He is going so fucking fast I can hardly comprehend it.

Great video overall. Can easily watch the whole thing through. Even though I already own a digital copy I'm gonna buy the physical version with all the extras.
[close]
I've heard from the guys at my skate shop that instead of selling physical copies Vans might just give a free copy with every purchase of vans shoes, I don't think it's official or anything yet but they were talking to the owner of the shop telling him this is what they might do.  So it's an idea floating around for them to do I guess

i can confirm my shop was told the very same thing.  very cool.

Dengles

« Reply #668 on: May 06, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
Elijah's part was amazing I'm a big fan.  He's my favorite skater and I've been waiting since Pretty Sweet for this.  

TNT, east coast footage�.fuck yes.  He skated Bridge spot in DC and that one high school in B'more who's name I'm blanking on.

Gilbert, just so fucking good, goddamn.  I got too into his second song and kept zoning out grooving to it.  

Dan Lu, killed it I've been sleeping on him.

Chima, not a fan of his skating usually but I have so much respect for how hard he went for that part.

Rowan, OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!  I clasped my mouth in shock multiple times during his part.  

Pedro, some of those lines he did just defied physics.  Skating Crete parks like a Vert Ramp hella dope.

Curren, Meh.  

AA, holy fuck that was awesome so much style.

Dustin Dollin, 10th grade me is creaming himself.  Dollin did not disappoint, one of my favorites growing up.  

Pfanner, so fucking good.  I have to go re-watch it after I post this!

Kyle Walker, meh again.  I just wanted it to end so I could see AVE's part.  

AVE, completely exceeded the hype I had for his part by ten fold.  

kingoflights

« Reply #669 on: May 06, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I've heard from the guys at my skate shop that instead of selling physical copies Vans might just give a free copy with every purchase of vans shoes, I don't think it's official or anything yet but they were talking to the owner of the shop telling him this is what they might do.� So it's an idea floating around for them to do I guess

[close]

i can confirm my shop was told the very same thing.� very cool.
as a bushiness move this is genius because most people are just going to download it for free anyways but definitely this video will move shoe sales so when THE FUCK am I going to be able to torrent this FUCKING THING? Its already may 6th WTF11111111

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #670 on: May 06, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
i wonder why dan lu's 5050 to ollie across the gap from his thrasher interview wasnt in his part? also didnt he have a big bs noseblunt cover last year? i dont remember seeing that either. also i cant believe that gilbert slid the length of the entire ledge on his last trick. that made it last trick worthy for sure.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #671 on: May 06, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
Yo Rowan switch flip switch nose slide back to switch is fucked up I'm surprised there was no second angle or slow mo

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #672 on: May 06, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »
Yo Rowan switch flip switch nose slide back to switch is fucked up I'm surprised there was no second angle or slow mo

I liked that it was just the one go.  If you're not giving that much attention to a trick that solid, it just means there's a whole lot more to come.

abudabi

« Reply #673 on: May 06, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »
yeah that trick was wicked! got so hyped when i saw that.

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #674 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
I'm agreeing with most saying that Curren's part is underwhelming.  I really think it mostly has to do with the fact that he has permanent little kid style.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #675 on: May 06, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
This video was pretty lit, I love Elijah's, Pfanner's, Gilbert's and Ave's parts the most.  I wonder what project Greg Hunt will work on next.

abudabi

« Reply #676 on: May 06, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
did the titles remind anyone else of diagonal right away? first thing i thought of when they came up.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #677 on: May 06, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
i wonder why dan lu's 5050 to ollie across the gap from his thrasher interview wasnt in his part?
You mean his contents spread? It was in there, just filmed from a bird's eye angle.
did the titles remind anyone else of diagonal right away? first thing i thought of when they came up.
Yep.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

abudabi

« Reply #678 on: May 06, 2015, 07:04:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yep.
word, i was thinking maybe it was just me.

pedro barros did a fucking noseblock slide on a vert ramp extension (or at least i think that's what you call it). some fucked up sheit.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #679 on: May 06, 2015, 07:06:25 PM »
Almost all of TNT's part was already been done...

Video was sick. I liked Dan Lu's part the best, I think it's sick they put his cover trick in Gilbert's part. Gilbert killed it. AVE killed it. K walker is way better than I ever thought. Would've liked it better with more Dill and Johnny Layton but overall it was a great video.
p-shuvs and v-flips

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #680 on: May 06, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
No weak parts in the video....likely no SOTY candidates though either....loved the ditch gnar stuff....

Because this is slap though......best part: John Fitzgerald......too bad it wasn't in it....

4wheels

« Reply #681 on: May 06, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
No weak parts in the video....likely no SOTY candidates though either....loved the ditch gnar stuff....

Because this is slap though......best part: John Fitzgerald......too bad it wasn't in it....
is gilbert gonna have a part in brick? the new richmond video. that and and a cover and he could be a candidate

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #682 on: May 06, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
I'd call AVE a SOTY candidate after that Thrasher cover.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #683 on: May 06, 2015, 07:39:36 PM »
Great video.

Pretty fucking bummed this wallride wasn't in it, especially after people claimed to have been there and said he didn't land it.

Stoked on Dollin footage regardless. Most stoked on the TNT part because nobody was talking about it after the premieres, and I expected mediocre amounts of footage or something. Wish Andrew Allen had more.

I think I'm going to edit that raw HOCKEY part from John Fitz to a song and insert it into the video myself.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:41:35 PM by REGS »

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #684 on: May 06, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I've heard from the guys at my skate shop that instead of selling physical copies Vans might just give a free copy with every purchase of vans shoes, I don't think it's official or anything yet but they were talking to the owner of the shop telling him this is what they might do.� So it's an idea floating around for them to do I guess

[close]

i can confirm my shop was told the very same thing.� very cool.
[close]
as a bushiness move this is genius because most people are just going to download it for free anyways but definitely this video will move shoe sales so when THE FUCK am I going to be able to torrent this FUCKING THING? Its already may 6th WTF11111111

My shop said a book and DVD combo would be sold during the summer. Initially, I was told no hard copy release but I guess that meant no simultaneous release.

On a side note, if anyone knows what software removes ITunes lock please PM. The software I used for pretty sweet and cliche video is no longer working. I just want to burn a hard copy of the digital I already purchased.

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #685 on: May 06, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
Skating was awesome and I'll watch it over and over because of it.

I do have a lot of complaints about the video though, starting with the way that I thought the edit made the video feel; Underwhelming and Incohesive.

I feel it might be, in part, because (at least on the television I watched it on and on my computer later) the skating sounds weren't that loud in comparison to the music (some of the shots, long lens especialy felt muffled; maybe a lot of the shots were filmed HPX/HVX without external mic's and this sounds bad/tinny when loud? I don't know much about HD...), but also there were a lot of points in the video where I felt like things were moving way too quickly/couldn't hear any noise from the clip itself. I get there is a broader audience that you have to cater to and the world has a shorter attention span but fuck, half the reason why people take five years to make a whole video is so it doesn't feel like yer on the internet getting forcefed part after part (someone mentioned this earlier).

I thought the intro was brilliant in showing the evolution of skating (vans has always supported skateboarding doo doo doo) through vans riders, but some shots could have been prefaced with more context in my opinion. Again, I think time to take in some of the last tricks/part a little more/showing a little more substance of the riders before moving on to the next one would have done the video good. Breathing time. As soon as I saw an ender I barely had time to process it before another guys part had already started fullswing. They somewhat tried it with the alva commentary for Rowley's part but it felt out of place to me since it was the only place with a large break (aside from pfanners intro, which I thought was nice).

...I did think Trujillo's, Pfanner's, Daniel Lutheran's, "Double AA"'s, & Ave's felt natural and supple.

In sum,
            main complaint: sound
            secondary complaints: fast and bland
            main theme for all complaints: inconsistent (the things I complained about didn't occur the entire time, but enough to really bug me)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:07:43 PM by weaselhead »
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #686 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »

abudabi

« Reply #687 on: May 06, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »
weaselhead, i bet they wanted to space out the parts more. the video's already an hour long so they probably felt they couldnt.

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #688 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
weaselhead, i bet they wanted to space out the parts more. the video's already an hour long so they probably felt they couldnt.

Good point, didn't consider that when getting riled up and going on a rant. I read that Greg Hunt interview on concrete skateboarding (http://www.concreteskateboarding.com/?p=28941) and it seemed like there were a lot of challenges towards the end in getting it how he would have liked it, seemed tough. Still, fifteen seconds between each part (which is more than enough spacer time between parts if you did it right) would only add another 3.5 minutes to the video. I'd watch a 57 minute video over a 54 minute video anyday if it means I can enjoy it more.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:25:39 PM by weaselhead »
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

Uinta High

• Rep: 99
« Reply #689 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »
Echoing what others have said, Daniel Lutheran's part was a great vibe. Perfect song choice for his skating. He puts down some hammers and makes them look smooth and casual.