Author Topic: Vans video.  (Read 150608 times)

Lenny the Fatface

Re: Vans video.
« Reply #690 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Oh and Gilbert's "minimalist americana" steez won best kit, Andrew Allen's "Fat Guy on Fucking Awesome" kit comes in at second.

Elijah did the ultimate fashion no-no by wearing a hat with a wifebeater while being white.

max power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #691 on: May 06, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
Andrew Allen's "Fat Guy on Fucking Awesome" kit comes in at second.
I'd say he's more of a 'dad with 3 kids on vacation'.

abudabi

« Reply #692 on: May 06, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
weaselhead, i bet they wanted to space out the parts more. the video's already an hour long so they probably felt they couldnt.
[close]
Good point, didn't consider that when getting riled up and going on a rant. I read that Greg Hunt interview on concrete skateboarding (http://www.concreteskateboarding.com/?p=28941) and it seemed like there were a lot of challenges towards the end in getting it how he would have liked it, seemed tough. Still, fifteen seconds between each part (which is more than enough spacer time between parts if you did it right) would only add another 3.5 minutes to the video. I'd watch a 57 minute video over a 54 minute video anyday if it means I can enjoy it more.
yeah youre right, that wouldnt really change things much.

some fucked up bump to bar skating in this. chima's switch heel, pfanner's frontside flip, elijah's impossible, gilbert's switch flip

also dan lu's back noseblunt shuv needs to be mentioned, that trick is cool as fuck.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #693 on: May 06, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
holy shit you guys are writing argumentative thesis statements on how to pick apart a skateboard video.

you can find flaws in anything if you really want to... just sit back and enjoy the shit. 

this was a perfect video. 

Dengles

« Reply #694 on: May 06, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
Oh and Gilbert's "minimalist americana" steez won best kit, Andrew Allen's "Fat Guy on Fucking Awesome" kit comes in at second.

Elijah did the ultimate fashion no-no by wearing a hat with a wifebeater while being white.

BUT, he was wearing a belt buckle so that kind of cancels out. 

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #695 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
No love for Rowan Zorilla's coon skin hat? Some idiot-savant shit.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #696 on: May 06, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
Why is it that Cardiel can do sick mountain bike jumps, but not skate? I mean medically. What allows one, but not the other?

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #697 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
Why is it that Cardiel can do sick mountain bike jumps, but not skate? I mean medically. What allows one, but not the other?
nerve damage- he can barely move one of his ankels- he talks about it in his epicly laterd. as far as i remember it s his back foot...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #698 on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
nerve damage- he can barely move one of his ankels- he talks about it in his epicly laterd. as far as i remember it s his back foot...

That's really cruel of life to do that to him.

abudabi

« Reply #699 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
idk what this knowledge will do for you, but

i didnt like rowan's song at first but it's really growing on me. the weird break in the music with the coonskin cap line is fucking rad.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #700 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »

Legendary.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #701 on: May 06, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
Somehow I knew Rowley was going to be skating to Motorhead...

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #702 on: May 06, 2015, 10:33:11 PM »
Watched it alone first and was stoked.  Haven't felt that satisfied with a full-length video in years!  Cried a little seeing Cardiel catching some serious speed and air in the credits, I am glad he can get "it" in some way.

Then I watched it crowded around three other skate-rats.  Definitely created a vibe of excitement among us that doesn't happen often.  I love the outbursts of single-words mixed with random sounds we make while watching good skate videos.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #703 on: May 06, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
ran into and talked to a  floridia-california frenchie pro after the sf premiere and we both agreed that rowans part was our favorite.

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #704 on: May 06, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

He's not bummed so why should we be bummed?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305

shit_for_brains

« Reply #706 on: May 07, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I know he's come to terms with it, and that's really good. He accepted it and moved on with his life and that's really truly great.

I personally, as an outside observer who has never met the guy, think it's tragic that he can do almost everything except skate. He just can't move his foot. That's just a shitty, bum deal.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #707 on: May 07, 2015, 01:20:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know he's come to terms with it, and that's really good. He accepted it and moved on with his life and that's really truly great.

I personally, as an outside observer who has never met the guy, think it's tragic that he can do almost everything except skate. He just can't move his foot. That's just a shitty, bum deal.

Yeah, it seems really strong to come out of a freak accident so positively. I'd probably hit the bottle for a decade or so. Still, he was told he would not walk again and he did through sheer will power. Gnarly.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #708 on: May 07, 2015, 01:35:23 AM »
I really liked it. With so much net content out it feels like tight, cohesive skate videos are pretty rare these days - like companies think nowadays a team video with a dvd release, premiers etc. has to be this fully-flared mega-production (which I get) but this was sick - didn't drag, smooth editing, no ultra HD trickery, plus all the team really complement each others styles. AVE really made LA street skating seem  new and fresh again and Chima's boneless was fuckin' nuts too, if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Bath Salts

• Rep: 0
« Reply #709 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:11 AM »
ran into and talked to a  floridia-california frenchie pro after the sf premiere and we both agreed that rowans part was our favorite.

jimmy lannon?

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #710 on: May 07, 2015, 02:43:07 AM »
Pretty sure Gary Scott Davis intended the boneless to be one fluid motion, Chima paused that one into the bank for about 3/4 of his part. I swear I went and got a drink and came back and he was still waiting to jump. Even Ave knows what's up after he rolls away.

Also, Chima ollies the same bump to bar Alex kickflipped as he first Girl ad???
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #711 on: May 07, 2015, 02:58:19 AM »
Pretty sure Gary Scott Davis intended the boneless to be one fluid motion, Chima paused that one into the bank for about 3/4 of his part. I swear I went and got a drink and came back and he was still waiting to jump. Even Ave knows what's up after he rolls away.

Maybe he fucked your mum or something Toady, but you're going to have to do way more than that to convince me his part wasn't great.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #712 on: May 07, 2015, 03:33:03 AM »
aaargh fuckin amazon.com

"We are sorry...

We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. "

itunes not working for me and you cant buy it from amazon or google play because I live in Finland :'(
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Rein

• Rep: -21
« Reply #713 on: May 07, 2015, 03:59:23 AM »
Pfanner's part was my favorite for sure. The half cab late shove in that huge ditch that Appleyard fakie flipped was insane.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #714 on: May 07, 2015, 04:03:50 AM »
Pedro's ender is insanity.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #715 on: May 07, 2015, 05:25:23 AM »

Chima ollied it to the street
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #716 on: May 07, 2015, 05:50:01 AM »
AVE, AA & ELIJAH'S PARTS WERE INSANE

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #717 on: May 07, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »
[
It's a good song, but don't tell me that Greg Hunt never saw 11th Hour.

This.  Soundtrack is the only weak link in the video.  I never thought Hunt would break the cardinal rule of song use.  I'm really into Crockett's songs...but some of the others make it seem like it was made for "PG" rotation at a Vans outlet store more so than for, lets say, skate shops. 

But the soundtrack does it's job I suppose, and the skating, is soooo good.  I've rewatched AVE, Crockett, Pfanner, and Walker the most so far.
hardly art, hardly starving

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #718 on: May 07, 2015, 07:02:19 AM »
I too was a little disappointed in the soundtrack, but the songs that stood out did their task of making a solid part. Stoked Walker skated to Roxy Music, and by the sound of it, Pfanner to Siouxsie, which I am a fan of.

All in all, this video was a real treat and I am very happy for the Vans team.
For all the posters who still read print, you should check out the AA interview, where he talks about Vans making more short videos focused on riders, as this video was strategically built around the signature pros, resulting in why some riders did not have what everyone expected, in terms of footage.

And to hell with anyone that says AA did not produce a solid section of skating.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #719 on: May 07, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »
AVE and Gilbert's part were the parts I'd rewatch the most. Pfanner and Elijah killed it too.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion