Author Topic: Vans video.  (Read 150728 times)

Kermitthefrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Vans video.
« Reply #720 on: May 07, 2015, 07:07:00 AM »
My only complaint was that I wish Rowley and Dollin shared a part instead and Andrew Allen had his own full part. The Iggy Pop song used for AA/Dollin part fit AA style so well. I just think them sharing a part was kind of random and they both skate totally different but I guess it came down to the amount of footage. If you're filming a video for 5+ years I'm sure AA had enough stuff to fill a part, even if they had to use a couple fillers I would have been alright with that.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #721 on: May 07, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »
Anyone cover why there was no Stranger?

I'd rather watch him read a book and eat cornflakes than anything Dill did, also there was enough AntiHero guys to throw him in someones part
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Kermitthefrog

• Rep: 4
« Reply #722 on: May 07, 2015, 07:17:42 AM »
I too was a little disappointed in the soundtrack, but the songs that stood out did their task of making a solid part. Stoked Walker skated to Roxy Music, and by the sound of it, Pfanner to Siouxsie, which I am a fan of.

All in all, this video was a real treat and I am very happy for the Vans team.
For all the posters who still read print, you should check out the AA interview, where he talks about Vans making more short videos focused on riders, as this video was strategically built around the signature pros, resulting in why some riders did not have what everyone expected, in terms of footage.

And to hell with anyone that says AA did not produce a solid section of skating.
Where is the interview? I wanna check it

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #723 on: May 07, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »
i hated how aves ender was filmed the filmer started shaking right when he popped over the rail :(

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #724 on: May 07, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
i hated how aves ender was filmed the filmer started shaking right when he popped over the rail :(
That too. Also, one angle for the ender? Not to mention a really shitty angle. Are you kidding me?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 885
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #725 on: May 07, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »
Dan Lu's part makes me feel happy watching it, I haven't felt that way about a part since Hsu in stay gold.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
  • JACKASS
« Reply #726 on: May 07, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
what was wrong with chimas boneless????

new_york_shitty

• Rep: -18
« Reply #727 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:03 AM »
I felt Elijah, TNT, AA and Pedro completely overshadowed everyone else.

I would've given Elijah last part but I understand that AVE is favorite to a lot of folks.
Anyone else feel similarly?

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #728 on: May 07, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »
Expand Quote

It's a good song, but don't tell me that Greg Hunt never saw 11th Hour.

[close]

This.  Soundtrack is the only weak link in the video. I never thought Hunt would break the cardinal rule of song use.  I'm really into Crockett's songs...but some of the others make it seem like it was made for "PG" rotation at a Vans outlet store more so than for, lets say, skate shops.  

But the soundtrack does it's job I suppose, and the skating, is soooo good.  I've rewatched AVE, Crockett, Pfanner, and Walker the most so far.
Also, in Mindfield AVE skated to that adolescents song used by Dan Drehobl and Phil Shao in Emerica's Yellow
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:50:25 AM by weaselhead »
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

BMCsteve

« Reply #729 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »

I feel bad for Curren Caples. I think he might be too handsome and casual for his own good because he did a lot of gnarly stuff and made it look way too easy. Maybe if he grew a beard like Greyson Fletcher people would respect him more?

jomeara1

« Reply #730 on: May 07, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
I guess I'm the only one that wants to watch Rowley's part over and over again.  That trey flip bluntslide he did on that ditch was too good.  He makes every trick look better.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #731 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why is it that Cardiel can do sick mountain bike jumps, but not skate? I mean medically. What allows one, but not the other?
[close]
nerve damage- he can barely move one of his ankels- he talks about it in his epicly laterd. as far as i remember it s his back foot...
[close]

That's really cruel of life to do that to him.

Cardiel has a fs grind in the intro, dumbass.

To that fuck who said AVE's part was underwhelming: just rewatch the switch fs crooked fakie flip out on a picnic table and get smarter.

Hyped for Rowan's use of the racoon hat but now I can't wear mine without being a copycat. However, I did buy a pair of khakis yesterday in honor of Gilby. Zoom in on his face to fs flip over the bench to land on the bank was my favorite trick.

Pfanner half cab late bigspin.

VIDEO WAS A BLOODBATH, A FUCKING BLOODBATH!

On the real though, why was Dan Lu's Thrasher cover (gap to stallone big ass rail) in Gilby's part? Is the iTunes version different than the premiere?

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #732 on: May 07, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
I guess I'm the only one that wants to watch Rowley's part over and over again.  That trey flip bluntslide he did on that ditch was too good.  He makes every trick look better.

Rowley's ditch darkslide was better looking than all of Greco's Deathwish video darkslides combined. And it was at an actual spot.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #733 on: May 07, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That too. Also, one angle for the ender? Not to mention a really shitty angle. Are you kidding me?
Glad I'm not the only one that thought AVE's ender was filmed pretty badly, it's almost hard to watch really like I cringed the first time I watched it. It's almost like whoever was filming wasnt ready for AVE to go and fumbled the camera a little. But from the looks of that spot it seems like where he was filming is super narrow and cramped especially with a photographer right there. So I'm sure that made it a really difficult trick to film.
Also I really do hate that his ender was kinda spoiled so far in advance. Always sucks watching a heavy video part like this and being able to see the ender coming from a mile away
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:36:54 PM by yatallfreak »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #734 on: May 07, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
Rowley's lipslide down the kinked marble ledge brought me back to my childhood. That classic casual but gnarly style that I love.

Was the intro dialogue before rowley's part him? Sounded like a different dude.

abudabi

« Reply #735 on: May 07, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »
i was wondering who did Rowley's intro too.

mark rigby

• Rep: -10
« Reply #736 on: May 07, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why is it that Cardiel can do sick mountain bike jumps, but not skate? I mean medically. What allows one, but not the other?
[close]
nerve damage- he can barely move one of his ankels- he talks about it in his epicly laterd. as far as i remember it s his back foot...
[close]

That's really cruel of life to do that to him.
[close]

Cardiel has a fs grind in the intro, dumbass.

To that fuck who said AVE's part was underwhelming: just rewatch the switch fs crooked fakie flip out on a picnic table and get smarter.

Hyped for Rowan's use of the racoon hat but now I can't wear mine without being a copycat. However, I did buy a pair of khakis yesterday in honor of Gilby. Zoom in on his face to fs flip over the bench to land on the bank was my favorite trick.

Pfanner half cab late bigspin.

VIDEO WAS A BLOODBATH, A FUCKING BLOODBATH!

On the real though, why was Dan Lu's Thrasher cover (gap to stallone big ass rail) in Gilby's part? Is the iTunes version different than the premiere?
yeah i was also wondering why? anyone knows why?

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #737 on: May 07, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »
Echoing what others have said, Daniel Lutheran's part was a great vibe. Perfect song choice for his skating. He puts down some hammers and makes them look smooth and casual.

There is some really rad shit in Dan Lu's part! Serious gnar and a lot of fun. Definitely a great vibe.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #738 on: May 07, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
let's get past the AVE ender already.  were you all really unable to enjoy his switch flip over a field, his sw bs noseblunt, his bs 180 off the top of a wall, his sw bs smith on a dumpster (from a piece of plywood), his sw nosegrind down a handrail, his sw 360 flip over a driveway gap, bs 180 fakie 5-0 180 out for a mile, fakie 5-0 180 out on a rail, and fakie crooked grind flip out just because in the back of your mind you KNEW what his ender was going to be.

gimme a break.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:49:05 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2015, 02:43:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rowley's ditch darkslide was better looking than all of Greco's Deathwish video darkslides combined. And it was at an actual spot.
[/quote

Yes!  ;D

Also, AVE with the Gino tribute trick (switch pop shove-it manual)

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #740 on: May 07, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »

His one leg and ankle doesn't have a lot of strength, so it's a big strain and effort on his legs with full weight and balance on a board whereas on a bike, you're seated. Also, I'm not sure if this is the case with his mountain bikes, but with fixed gears his good leg can overcompensate for his weaker leg.

The fact that he ever walked again is insane, but that he's doing this shit is mind boggling.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #741 on: May 07, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »
Also I don't think he can rotate his ankle. So if you can essentially move it in that way, you can't push or even ollie properly.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #742 on: May 07, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
Rowley's lipslide down the kinked marble ledge brought me back to my childhood. That classic casual but gnarly style that I love.

Was the intro dialogue before rowley's part him? Sounded like a different dude.

Sounded like Tony Alva to me

kingoflights

« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
the skating was alright but the music and editing were terrible but then again I didnt have high expectations.

shotformeat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I guess I'm the only one that wants to watch Rowley's part over and over again.  That trey flip bluntslide he did on that ditch was too good.  He makes every trick look better.
[close]

[close]

Yes!  ;D

Also, AVE with the Gino tribute trick (switch pop shove-it manual)

AVE also with the falling over after a trick at the same spot Gino tribute  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:16:26 PM by shotformeat »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #745 on: May 07, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
Some highlights:
Rowley darkslide madness
Rowley sliding down an entire embankment
Andrew allen bs/360 off curb
Rowley ollie hydrant to lipslide
Ave switch front crook bs flip out
Dustin dollin 180nosegrind to regular
Dustin dollin this fingerflip variation on a gap
Kyle walker super fast fake bs flip a set in a line

And mo 're
The video was really a good message to the quality and stability of the shoes, teamwork of the team, and lineage od vans. Lots of ollies over rails to flat and perfect 180s over gaps,and pure going for it. .that more than anything vibes me into skating here, not how many tries but the pure dedication the person uses to have faith go for the trick and land it, like curren caples smith grind ender
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #746 on: May 07, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
daaaang dan lu's part/song is reminiscent of arto skating to rock n roll suicide :)
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

ny1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #747 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:38 PM »
let's get past the AVE ender already.  were you all really unable to enjoy his switch flip over a field, his sw bs noseblunt, his bs 180 off the top of a wall, his sw bs smith on a dumpster (from a piece of plywood), his sw nosegrind down a handrail, his sw 360 flip over a driveway gap, bs 180 fakie 5-0 180 out for a mile, fakie 5-0 180 out on a rail, and fakie crooked grind flip out just because in the back of your mind you KNEW what his ender was going to be.

gimme a break.

agreed

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #748 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:12 PM »
The official nickyd "thoughts while watching the Vans video" post:

-Chima-Killed it harder than I expected.
-Rowan-I like this guy because you never know what trick is coming next. The perfect switch flip noseslide(not back to regs), stood out.
-TNT's ender was a literally kickturn on a bank. LoL.
-Elijah-I feel like this dude is underated somehow, very gnarly part. That ollie over the chains into the bank stood out.
Pfanner-Killed it of course, skates with so much pop and power.
-Daniel Luthern randomly, but clearly had the best part(skating, editing, and song all worked together the best), and I would have never expected that. The song almost brought me to tears. Really great part.
-Pedro Barros-Obviously insane, but I have to admit I was drinking wine while watching his part and when the song starts it says something about "I don't belong", and I lost it.
-Curren-I actually like Curren a lot, however this part kinda started slow and felt like a bland surf part. But def some good looking shit there doe.
-Gilbert-the best. You know dis.
AA\Dollin-both killed it, obvs wish we had a full part from both. I thought Andrew's fakie 5-0 on that steep bank looked so sick.
-Not sure why everyone described Geoff's part as so short, seemed like a full part to me, with plenty of sick shit in there. Who cares if it was mostly banks? Every trick he did into a bank looked sick.
Kyle Walker-This dude is fucking sick. Not my cup of tea, but undenable destruction.
-AVE-killed it of course. I hate Ozzy, but nothing could ruin the part, you can tell he tried really hard with this.

Conclusion:

-8.8/10, would watch again.
-Bring back VX1k. Whatever camera setup most teams are using now doesn't capture the speed or gnarliness of most of the tricks properly.
-No more China footage please. It looks as boring as a skatepark and the same spots get in every video now.
-Bonus footy? J-Lay?
-Would LOVE a Ray Barbee full part. Dude obviously still kills it.

I'll take my answers off air.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:29:12 PM by NickDagger »
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #749 on: May 07, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Some highlights:
Rowley darkslide madness
Rowley sliding down an entire embankment
Andrew allen bs/360 off curb
Rowley ollie hydrant to lipslide
Ave switch front crook bs flip out
Dustin dollin 180nosegrind to regular
Dustin dollin this fingerflip variation on a gap
Kyle walker super fast fake bs flip a set in a line

And mo 're
The video was really a good message to the quality and stability of the shoes, teamwork of the team, and lineage od vans. Lots of ollies over rails to flat and perfect 180s over gaps,and pure going for it. .that more than anything vibes me into skating here, not how many tries but the pure dedication the person uses to have faith go for the trick and land it, like curren caples smith grind ender
You talking about that shuv-it tailgrab? Pretty sure there weren't any fingerflips from him