Author Topic: Vans video.  (Read 150700 times)

ice nine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vans video.
« Reply #780 on: May 08, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
^is that u callin out abudabi? ur gonna post more then him now? i refuse to disregard
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #781 on: May 08, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »
Made a couple gifs.

abudabi

« Reply #782 on: May 08, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
^is that u callin out abudabi? ur gonna post more then him now? i refuse to disregard
if thats me idk what hes talking about.
put me on ignore if i bug you, i tell this to everyone who complains.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #783 on: May 08, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
Does anyone else think Chima skates like a poor man's Reynolds?  Gilbert's part was very good, but not his best ever.  He's overthinking his spot and trick selection too much or something but that fucking ender was the best trick in the video.  Kyle Walker, AVE, Rowley, TNT, Elijah, Pedro Barros all had good shit.  None of the parts were bad except that kid with the nasty push and Caples part.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #784 on: May 08, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »
This video is one of the first videos ive watched over and over again since extremely sorry and this is skateboarding back in the day
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

asakusa75

« Reply #785 on: May 08, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
Poor man's Reynolds...?
Wow.
No. I think he skates like a fucking maniac.

abudabi

« Reply #786 on: May 08, 2015, 05:57:05 PM »
poor man's reynolds isnt much of an insult. maybe the fakie varial heel spurred that comment.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #787 on: May 08, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »
Chima's bag of tricks is way bigger than Reynolds'.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #788 on: May 08, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
That Reynolds/Chima comparison was at Tracer's level of stupidity.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #789 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Yo, you ever seen It's Time?  His switch back heel, back 3's, and fakie varial heel lookin like a Reynolds....nevermind

That Gilbert part is growing on me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:16:35 PM by chockfullofthat »

abudabi

« Reply #790 on: May 08, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Yo, you ever seen It's Time?  His switch back heel, back 3's, and fakie varial heel lookin like a Reynolds....nevermind
now this is a tracer type comment, but im not even sure if youre kidding

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #791 on: May 08, 2015, 08:32:04 PM »

That Gilbert part is growing on me.

Yeah i've seen but you havent if you saw Reynolds there.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Paletta

• Rep: -17
« Reply #792 on: May 08, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
Finally got around to watching this last night.
Had avoided this thread before watching it and cant be bothered trawling back through so sorry if I reapeat anything.

WOW best full length I have seen since Mindfield I reckon
Was so hyped I finished 4 beers before it was finished and as soon as it was I put it back on and watched it again.

Observations
-Was psyched Chima got first part and skated to Iggy
-Zorilla has a strange style but I really like it. Make shim standout
-Wish Dollin had a few more tricks but what he had was gnarly and isnt he like 7 knees deep so fuck
-Kyle Walker blew me away
-I think Gilbert has a kinda forced style. My wife described him as having pig trotter legs style haha
-Rowleys part was sick especially considering his age
-Was suprised there was not one hip hop song but I liked the soundtrack
-I wish Dan Lu was my friend. He seems like the coolest dude ever!!

Overall I loved it. Reminded me of the team full length that I grew up on and will def be watching from start to finish many times over!!

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #793 on: May 08, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
Gave in and torrented it because it doesn't look like they'll be selling DVDs any time soon.

This video was sick! Greg Hunt did a great job. It is a big-budget video done well (looking at you True and Pretty Sweet). Good songs, good skating, and simple, to the point editing.

Like many others have said, Curren Caples' part was my least favorite. Maybe if the the best footage from his internet part for Flip that came out this year was combined with the best stuff from this video, it would make more of an impression.

Elijah Berle is criminally underrated.

Other than that, pretty much every part was super sick. Everyone brought something unique to the table and clearly busted their asses filming.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #794 on: May 08, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »
being on chocolate and vans before turning 21 isnt considered underrated

Heather Chandler

« Reply #795 on: May 08, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
To be fair, Vans should have made the video available for free download for about the same amount of time their shoes last from heavy skating.  2-3 weeks.  Just saying.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #796 on: May 08, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
I keep saying every full length video will be the last full length video....but I wonder if anyone will make a video this comprehensive....having this many dudes with full parts was an accomplishment.

Elijah's part made me wish the trunk boy video was real....unthinkable.....

Dengles

« Reply #797 on: May 09, 2015, 02:48:24 AM »
Elijah has been quite up to this point since Pretty Sweet so that's why I think a lot of people have been sleeping on him.  Once the filming for the Vans video was said to be done he got a bunch of footage in the Going Dumb tour which was the first new footage I had seen of him since 2013.  He's been my favorite skateboarder since PS so I've been looking every where for his footage in between these two parts and it was hard to find, obviously because he was stacking up clips to blow my mind for a second time in the Vans Video.  He's gonna blow up once consistent footage of him is released instead of being stockpiled up for a video part. 

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #798 on: May 09, 2015, 04:05:40 AM »
being on chocolate and vans before turning 21 isnt considered underrated

and he got Am of the year a few years back...

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #799 on: May 09, 2015, 04:30:38 AM »
I certainly need to rewatch it, all parts were good. Dustin Dollin was my favourite I wish he had longer part.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #800 on: May 09, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
With the exception of Dan Lu and Gil all the music was fucking terrible.  Getting through the whole video was a challenge I don't intend to take on again. 

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2015, 07:44:38 AM »
Lol at the people mad at the soundtrack. It's a vans video it's gonna play in vans stores. The artist in the vid they already worked with in the past either with shoes or commercials/web content.  The songs people wanted im sure was a pain to get because being a big shoe brand the artist or labels are probably thinking payday and is going to rape em in the cost. Besides do you think a hot rap song or latest whatever was gonna work? 

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2015, 07:56:49 AM »
iggy pop, siouxsie, ozzy, slayer, moterhead and roxy music.... you're right the soundtrack sucks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:11:10 PM by Brown Thunder »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2015, 08:21:35 AM »
the soundtrack does suck.  most of the songs are really boring and not a good tempo for the skating, despite what big names some of the bands are.  Motorhead and Rowley go hand in hand, but they're really reaching Dino Jr levels of cliche' use in skate videos.  Best song in my opinion was the TSOL song in Perdo's part.  

all in all pretty disappointed by this video.  it feels really disjointed, and lacks flow.  good skating all around, but it just isn't doing it for me.  maybe the whole skate video schtick has reached a breaking point.  We're going on almost 20 years of this transworld-esque formula, and its so tiresome.   AVE, Gil, Elijah and a few other parts are great, but i'm skipping most of the rest next time i watch.  Dan Lu had the best song/skating correlation.  Probably best part too, with Gil a close second.  

coulda/woulda/shoulda been a lot better, but hey, i'm a 30 something year old bitter piece of shit, so what do you expect.  
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #804 on: May 09, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »
the soundtrack does suck.  most of the songs are really boring and not a good tempo for the skating, despite what big names some of the bands are.  Motorhead and Rowley go hand in hand, but they're really reaching Dino Jr levels of cliche' use in skate videos.  Best song in my opinion was the TSOL song in Perdo's part.  

all in all pretty disappointed by this video.  it feels really disjointed, and lacks flow.  good skating all around, but it just isn't doing it for me.  maybe the whole skate video schtick has reached a breaking point.  We're going on almost 20 years of this transworld-esque formula, and its so tiresome.   AVE, Gil, Elijah and a few other parts are great, but i'm skipping most of the rest next time i watch.  Dan Lu had the best song/skating correlation.  Probably best part too, with Gil a close second.  

coulda/woulda/shoulda been a lot better, but hey, i'm a 30 something year old bitter piece of shit, so what do you expect.  
With this video I've found that I like it a lot better just skipping around and watching single parts at a time. I think it speaks more to the disjointed feeling and length of the video than it does being conditioned by watching single web parts for years.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #805 on: May 09, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »
Watched it last night and loved it.  AVE skating to OZZY was great.  Loved the bike path line to switch fs cess slide on the bank thing.  He rips.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #806 on: May 09, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »

I'm one of these too, but I had the complete opposite impression.

I thought the music was great, even stuff I don't listen to like Smog sounded pretty good at least in the context of the skater.  I thought it flowed well too... It was just a straight up part/part/part video.  No skits or frat boy beer parties or beat poetry or youtube rap videos or any bells and whistles at all, which for me is a plus.

Sidenote, I wonder how much foot traffic that Joel Alme-guy has got because of this video.  This has got to be a huge advertising bonus for the more unfamiliar music artists.

2 quick notes:  Rowan Zorilla made the biggest impression, mainly because I would have never bothered to check him out prior to this.  His part was sick.

AVE came through big time, and makes me almost want to buy an FA board.  Almost.

crackaollie

• Rep: 8
« Reply #807 on: May 09, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »
So who can translate what said that ginger mohawk guy in the beginning of Elijahs part?

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #808 on: May 09, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
So who can translate what said that ginger mohawk guy in the beginning of Elijahs part?

he said "What the fuck, this guy is obviously still am, what were rick and mike thinking"

4wheels

« Reply #809 on: May 09, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

he said "What the fuck, this guy is obviously still am, what were rick and mike thinking"
he is speaking german, all i could understand was right when he pointed the middle finger at the camera, he said "yeah laugh" kinda like yeah keep laughing at me"