Author Topic: Vans video.  (Read 150783 times)

castillo's curls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
Re: Vans video.
« Reply #810 on: May 09, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So who can translate what said that ginger mohawk guy in the beginning of Elijahs part?
[close]

he said "What the fuck, this guy is obviously still am, what were rick and mike thinking"
[close]
he is speaking german, all i could understand was right when he pointed the middle finger at the camera, he said "yeah laugh" kinda like yeah keep laughing at me"

He's one of Fritzl's kind.

crackaollie

• Rep: 8
« Reply #811 on: May 09, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So who can translate what said that ginger mohawk guy in the beginning of Elijahs part?
[close]

he said "What the fuck, this guy is obviously still am, what were rick and mike thinking"
[close]
he is speaking german, all i could understand was right when he pointed the middle finger at the camera, he said "yeah laugh" kinda like yeah keep laughing at me"
[close]

He's one of Fritzl's kind.

Oh shit, I unconsciously followed his orders, because I did kept laughing at him.

Brent212

• Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #812 on: May 09, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Really liked the video, but bummed this wasn't in it.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #813 on: May 09, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »
To be fair, Vans should have made the video available for free download for about the same amount of time their shoes last from heavy skating.  2-3 weeks.  Just saying.

I don't think the video should have been free but I will admit that the only reason I don't buy Vans is because of a lack of durability. For the price I'll buy Cons that will skate great and lost 5 times as long with some shoe goo.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #814 on: May 09, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
compared to the handful of other big videos from the last few years, i feel this one comes in a few notches below the others. not saying i didn't like it. i did. i thought the filming was great. the editing on par. the music was decent, but nothing we haven't heard before. it lacked bullshit , which is huge. but, it felt like just another skate video clone. i mean, there's lots of good skateboarding, but 'propeller' didn't really bring anything new to the table. maybe i'm just of the old guard, but i feel that if a video doesn't progress, then it probably won't make a mark. all that aside, ave's part is fucking gold.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #815 on: May 09, 2015, 11:50:36 PM »
Its only going to get worse......

Funkyfrenchfries

• Rep: 0
  • Oh my God! What are those, piranhas?
« Reply #816 on: May 10, 2015, 12:17:33 AM »
The pop on Kyle's last trick down that huge block was perfect. I knew he was good but goddamn his part was heavy.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #817 on: May 10, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »
After re watching a little of it tonight before i went out skating and Rowan is my favorite so far its just crazy how he didn't really have that much time to film for that part and he still came up with insane part

lalala

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #818 on: May 10, 2015, 03:33:11 AM »
Really liked the video, but bummed this wasn't in it.

Yeah, Dollin and Rowley were also missing a couple tricks that I was expecting to see there. I feel like the video was great but none of the veterans delivered as hard as expected. Maybe AVE was the closest to that but I still liked his mindfield part better. The young dudes killed it tho. 8/10.

gripping the dick like a church girl giving her first hand job
head of the dick gonna be purple like my uncles face when he hung himself

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #819 on: May 10, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
Two Iggy Pop songs in one modern video? AA used the better one and I like his part more than most in this video. Roman Zorilla and Dan Lutheran had nice parts and Ave, too, though I feel this video was pretty over-hyped. Was surprised that I felt underwhelmed by Gilbert Crockett's part. Maybe I just don't like the look of super wide lenses on HD cameras/letterbox aspect ratio.

Edit: Did really enjoy the amount of bs noseslides in this vid, though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:32:11 AM by Bloody Matt »

sms_b

« Reply #820 on: May 10, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »
I watched it.

It was good.

The music was old guy music. Accessible, mildly edgy in an old person kind of way, and 100% alternative mainstream, which is what skateboarding is nowadays.

The backlash is coming, and fuck me, it's gonna be beautiful. I for one can't wait for a mad rush of up and comers who rip the industry a fresh vagina, once they get fed up with the +40 set... time to sit down dudes... you don't want to be MJ of the washington wizards.

Shit's getting to Powell-Peralta era levels of scripted corn ball bullshit.

Skate and Lose Weight

« Reply #821 on: May 10, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »
It suffers from the Since Day One effect - but I think it ages well.  I anticipate future QS remixes to unlock the full potential
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:25:09 AM by Skate and Lose Weight »

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #822 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #823 on: May 10, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
It suffers from the Since Day One effect - but I think it ages well.  I anticipate future QS remixes to unlock the full potential

spot on!

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #824 on: May 10, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
Chima: Didn't expect his part to be that heavy. Switch tre and ender were both fucked.

Rowan: Haven't followed much of him but was surprised how well he skates tranny and his switch rail tricks.

TNT: Obviously had to skate to Slayer. Reminding everyone he's an ATV skater with that part.

Elijah: I like him and his style but you could swap out his pretty sweet part and not notice

Pfanner: Music fit well. Long rails, big moves, late shuvs. Really nice 16mm shots of him and his kid at the end.

Curren: Still seems to be fighting that kid style, had a lot of heavy transition moves. Bs Smith gap to bank was tight.

DanLu: Perfect cinematography/edit/music, DanLu killed it on the board. Highlight tre down the set to smith the edge of the path and him smiling after every trick. Favourite part for sure.

Gilbert: Strong part and music starting to grow after a few watches. Bummed Thrasher ran the ender before hand. I preferred his VX parts and cinematographer project stuff.

AA: Music fit well here. Andrew with the usual switch skating, sw bigflips and glorious fits.

Dustin: Surprised how much i enjoyed his part and how much footage he had. Seems to be still going for it. Stoked for him.

Geoff: Intro with Alva definitely seemed out of place but nice sentiment. No surprise with a Motorhead track. Still going for broke but was probably his last full length.

Pedro: Totally forgot he'd be in it. Lots of gnarly transition lines and random street maneuvers. Again, surprised how much i liked his part.

Kyle Walker: Hard to believe that he's Am, i expect Real will break the news soon. Another heavy part.

AVE: I can imagine the LA theater blew up when they heard Ozzy and AVE's name appeared. Man handled every trick. Like someone said earlier it almost made me want to buy an FA board. Even though everyone knew the ender it was still fucked up to see the video. The photographer's face is priceless as he rolls away.

Greg Hunt killed it, I will definitely be buying the book/dvd and maybe the bluray/deluxe set when that is released further down the line. Eagerly waiting for Greg's next contribution to skateboarding. Replaying this and Mind Field in the meantime.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #825 on: May 10, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

spot on!

That's harsh, but I know what you're saying. 

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #826 on: May 10, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

spot on!
[close]

That's harsh, but I know what you're saying. 
Please explain what the SDO effect is?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #827 on: May 10, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
You fucking bozos will complain about anything.

The soundtrack is fine. It doesn't take away from the skating at all, which is what's important. Even if you don't like the songs (I personally don't care about some of the artists) it compliments the skating well enough to get the point across.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #828 on: May 10, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »
Kind of glancing at what everyone's said, I'd agree it felt a bit disjointed. Chima's part surprised me and was one of my favorites and Dan Lu's was definitely the most fluid as other people have said. Propeller was good but it definitely wasn't an instant favorite or classic I'd say. Part of my opinion may just be that a lot of the guys have had better parts in my opinion - I even liked AVE's part in Mindfield better than his Propeller part.

Greg Hunt, in my opinion, has put out some amazing stuff but Propeller just fell somewhere in the middle for me. Curren Caple's part for instance felt super cliche to me - as if it was going for a surfer/chill vibe or something. Maybe Van's wanted the video clean cut?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #829 on: May 10, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
Kind of glancing at what everyone's said, I'd agree it felt a bit disjointed. Chima's part surprised me and was one of my favorites and Dan Lu's was definitely the most fluid as other people have said. Propeller was good but it definitely wasn't an instant favorite or classic I'd say. Part of my opinion may just be that a lot of the guys have had better parts in my opinion - I even liked AVE's part in Mindfield better than his Propeller part.

Greg Hunt, in my opinion, has put out some amazing stuff but Propeller just fell somewhere in the middle for me. Curren Caple's part for instance felt super cliche to me - as if it was going for a surfer/chill vibe or something. Maybe Van's wanted the video clean cut?

exactly what I've been saying.  This video will be playing in vans stores which are in malls (majority) nothing too crazy can be shown or heard

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #830 on: May 10, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
Everyone knows what you're getting with Curren Caples. He's not just going to start barging el toro just because, he'sjust gunna do what got him here. Girls probably think he had the best part

This should have been the best video of all time, the fact its not even a classic is a major disappointment. They've been talking about this for atleast 10 years

rideflannel

« Reply #831 on: May 10, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

exactly what I've been saying.  This video will be playing in vans stores which are in malls (majority) nothing too crazy can be shown or heard

^Not necessarily. Here is an excerpt from a Greg Hunt interview regarding the video.

It felt like Alien Workshop gave you a lot of creative freedom with Mindfield. How has working for a bigger, more corporate brand like Vans compared? Have you felt restricted creatively at all?
No, it was the same. Vans is very involved in the name and the marketing and the design, but when it came to editing the actual video they were totally hands off, all the way through to the very end. There were no big meetings and no brand message they wanted to get across. It was more just, “Lets try to make the best video we can.”

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #832 on: May 10, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

How could you not love this guy's part? His style, creativity, and general approach to skating made his part the most enjoyable to watch. Gil was a close second, but I prefer his homies videos.

Harem

« Reply #833 on: May 10, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Why are people so surprised by Chima's part? It's barely any different to any of his other footage?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #834 on: May 10, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »
I don't really get how people are complaining about this.

The music was pretty good and worked with most of the parts. Not really stuff I would listen to, but they went well with the parts.

Lack of hi-jynx/nudity/profanity/fights etc. What did you expect? Vans is part of a massive corporate conglomerate. This isn't the 70's.

People complaining the format is tired. Well, its a skate video, they'll show some skating set to music. What did you want? Jack Black pretending to be a filmer?

Have there been any better major releases over the past year or so?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:24:55 PM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

abudabi

« Reply #835 on: May 10, 2015, 07:19:52 PM »
Why are people so surprised by Chima's part? It's barely any different to any of his other footage?
cause theyre stoops and dont pay as much as attention as they pretend to

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #836 on: May 10, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
Expand Quote
On the real though, why was Dan Lu's Thrasher cover (gap to stallone big ass rail) in Gilby's part? Is the iTunes version different than the premiere?
[close]
yeah i was also wondering why? anyone knows why?

Dengles

« Reply #837 on: May 10, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
It wasn't all clean cut, they snuck Dustin Dollin's ass into the video  ;D

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #838 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:30 PM »
this thread is like 50 pages deep and i still have no idea why this video is called Propeller.

has this question even been asked? does anyone have any clue why this video has such a lame title?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #839 on: May 10, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
Man, I had been fantasizing about doing a slappy up a curb for a line, recently, and they boom Ray does one in the video. Wild.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.