Author Topic: Drone filming?  (Read 1995 times)

Rusty_Berrings

Drone filming?
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
Is this the future? I just watched the South Park episode from this last season about drones spying on Craig's mom's bush and I thought "Damn, I wonder if anyone's used this for skate filming" and sure enough you can cop one at Radio shack for 50 bucks. Probably doesn't have the best camera on it, but I'm sure it's a start for someone like myself to investigate before throwing out the big bucks. I don't see why I wouldn't buy one to get a second angle at least. Anyone?

Seamus_McShamebag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: Drone filming?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
I got all giddy about this a while ago and started a thread, there are some good examples people posted...
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=63914.0

I have definitely noticed a lot of drone shots popping up more and more in skate videos/commercials.  I don't know what the fuck this is but it popped up in a Google search...
FIREFLY on Vimeo

I think drones can make skating look really rad but can be a little distracting from the actual skating. I suppose that's the case with any type of filming if it's not done right.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
The intro to Pretty Sweet was all filmed on a drone.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
Aw nice that Pontus Alv one was siiiiick. yeah i did a search but that thread didn't show up for whatever reason. You think the ones with the hover feature would work OK as aerial "tripods"? I bet that'd be sick to just throw a couple into hover and then go about filming normally with a handle/camera for a couple extra sick angles during a line.

JoKilla

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
the shots that these things get are pretty sick but I think people shouldn't use them in their actual  parts, just in the intro/outro/credits of a video

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »
Almost 2023.

Is there a drone that can keep a cool distance and is quiet enough for filming skateboarding?

Sound could be recorded separately.

Anybody knows?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 06:02:44 AM »
I've got a DJI avata cinewhoop and fly FPV on days the ground is wet or i don't have anything going on. You can fly that about a foot off the floor so could get some good follow cam going.

The homies and I have discussed using it to do a bit of filming. shoots at excellent video res (4k), and the stabilization in post means it's gimbal or better quality.

Down side is no audio, which massively takes away from any skate clip IMO.

Good enough for some filler/atmos shots with music over the top though for sure...I might try it out when the weather is nicer in the spring.