Author Topic: animal suede and synthetic sude  (Read 5305 times)

UserFame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
animal suede and synthetic sude
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:54 AM »
which material do skate shoe brands use?

animal or synthetic suede?

I think they use animal suede, wich is wack in my opinion, you should we cause pain, torture and death on animals when we can avoid that?

thoughts?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
Re: animal suede and synthetic sude
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:09:47 AM »
I always assumed it was synthetic, but I have no idea. I mean where is supersuede coming from? supercows?

Good question anyway

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:23:41 AM »
There is only ONE type of suede, it's from cows, it's the same as leather.

Synthetic shoes do exist, mostly canvas, waxed canvas, and adidas uses synthetic leather for the stripes and accents on most of their models.
It's just as easy as reading the tag. Suede shoes will say 100% leather on the tag.
If the shoe is synthetic or vegan friendly it will most likely say 100% man-made materials or textile.
Real true suede is always the same thing as real animal (cow) leather, clothing made with synthetic materials will say so.

If you really want to only purchase synthetic shoes, there's lots of options, mostly from Lakai, Vans, Adidas, Dekline, Nike (although i don't support nike), Cons. and NB# has a cool synthetic suede/felt type thing i'd like to check out one day.
I'm sure other companies have synthetic models but not to the extent of said companies.

And if you can't make it to a skate shop to look at the shoe tag, normally online the shop will list what materials are used for the shoe.

Never assume "suede" is synthetic. Look for canvas, felt, synthetic, man-made materials.

hope this helps!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:44:30 AM »
*chimes in*

99.9% of brands these days use actual suede on their shoes and it has pretty much been an industry standard for years 20+ years now.
the only companies (apart from the ones that actually go out of their way to provide vegan options) that use fake suede on their shoes do so because exporting leather to some countries cost mad $$$.

there was a time back in the tech shoe craze where synthetic was huge but i think it was more of an aesthetic thing as opposed to companies actually caring about animal rights. having said that, many pro skaters have offered vegan options over the years (e.g. ed, vallely, moses, laban, rowley, the chief, mccrank) although these days ed is pretty much the only one left carrying the flag (where you at spencer hamilton?). emerica, etnies, dekline, and a few others do go out of their way to make sure you know they have vegan options in their catalogues whereas with other companies it's just sort of accidental because of the colourway etc.

a few thoughts on the matter:

- it's funny that skaters still rely so much on/ swear by suede considering it stretches and loses shape so quickly. when was the last time you saw a pair of running/ athletic shoes that wasn't synthetic?
- synthetic is usually pretty harmful to the environment in the scheme of things (then again, so is leather) so i wish companies would focus more on natural fibers ala old-skool i-path. rubber toe caps are making a comeback so i think hemp/ rubber toe combos would be the best option.
- some vegos can go either with the leather thang because it is actually a byproduct of the meat industry. i.e. the animals aren't killed solely for their hides (as in the case of fur). while i personally won't wear leather, i am in two minds about this train of thought; if a good quality leather jacket is going to last you say 15+ years then imo that's better (at least from an environmental standpoint) than buying 5x PU vinyl jackets over that same time frame. yes, an animal dies but as long as people still consuming meat you have all of the hides lying around that would otherwise be wasted. you could argue that increased environmental destruction causes more animal deaths down the line but in the case of skate shoes though you're gunna burn through them either way so of course cruelty free seems like the better option for true animal lovers.
- sheep shoes and zero-two should come back and take all my money; i miss the days when companies/ riders were more vocal about this topic :'(

http://www.christiankoeder.com/2011/12/vegetarianism-in-skateboard-scen.html
good article if you're interested in this type of stuff (OP obviously is)

Savier seems to be pushing the envelope of synthetic-shoe development the farthest. �We focus heavily on creating the ultimate in synthetic skateboard shoes,� says McGarry. �Water-soluble glues and solvents are used in all of our synthetic shoes, and all the materials are PVC free. We�re currently working with a material vender with a new synthetic leather called Green-Pro. It�s even better than the PVC-free synthetic leather we�ve been using in the past.�"

wow! i hated savier back in the day but that's pretty cool to see the direction they were headed in

edit: sorry for them all, it's been a long day :-\
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:19:11 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »
Where does the difference in quality in suede from one brand to another comes from, like for example "premium" suede or super suede?

The type of animal?

Some product mixed with the suede?

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:56 AM »
Where does the difference in quality in suede from one brand to another comes from, like for example "premium" suede or super suede?

The type of animal?

i've seen pig leather/suede on shoes before, or like an oiled suede or leather, but i don't really have an answer for that. sales tactics?

and thanks GISM for all that info!

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
DC's Super Suede is regular suede that is coated with poly urethane to increase durability.

The other issue with companies using suede vs. canvas is the tariff's getting the shoes into the country.
The US is a leather/suede producing country. We export leather to China/Vietnam/Korea. When leather shoes come into the states they are tariff'd at a much lower rate. Usually this rate is half. 9% vs 19% for an all canvas shoe. Canvas is made in textile factories in China/Korea/vietnam. it is cheaper for shoes to be made out of canvas. unfortunately that price savings gets eat by the tariff's.
This is the primary reason you are seeing shoes in the market that have mixed materials. ie. Busnitz with a suede toe and a canvas sides and back. Another way around the higher taxes is the "spray suede" or flocking that SUPRA uses on its pricepoint models. The flocking is the fuzz on the bottom of the sole. It helps to reduce the tariff and falls off after 2 steps.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:09:15 AM »

The type of animal?

It is the process in which the leather is produced. Full grain is more expensive because the hide hasn't been finished, therefore you can't use as much of it.

Most of our shoes are split leather, which is what the use to make suede. Super suede, I believe, is just suede that has been treated with some sort of polyurethane* to make it more resistant to abrasion.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:29:50 AM by Firebert »

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
I think this is one of the first times I can say that I genuinely learned from a SLAP thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 11:33:12 PM »
I think this is one of the first times I can say that I genuinely learned from a SLAP thread. Thanks to all who contributed.
;)

let's not waste a good thread though, i think this would be a great place for us to share shoe info/ review vegan shoes. we can also talk about our favourite vegan shoes of the past :-\
i'm currently skating in:

etnies marana in grey canvas - first cupsole in quite a while but they are tanks! it's gunna take quite a while to destroy thess babies. if you are looking for tough cruelty-free shoes, this should be your go to.

rowley 1 reissues in navy synthetic - even though rowley isn't vegan anymore i still had to get a pair for nostalgia's sake (esp. considering i would have rocked 10+ pairs back in the day). can't quite pinpoint it but they don't feel how they used to. can't deny that they are some of the dopest vegan kicks to ever be released though :o

adidas silas 1s in grey synthetic - i hardly break these out anymore but they are in my top 5 (ok i lie, BUT they defs make the top 10) skate shoes EVER i think; soooo so grippy and sooo so supportive. great lightweight shoe that not only looks great but skates like a dream.

as far as non skate shoes go, it's winter hear at the moment so my feet tend to live in my brave gentleman boots and i rock some wills (from england) when i'm at work.  also have a pair of (non-skate) adidas ZX reissues that are synthetic for when it starts to warm up again.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »
www.veganskateblog.com does lots of reviews of vegan skate shoes.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
www.veganskateblog.com does lots of reviews of vegan skate shoes.

thanks for that mate, i often hit their blog up. great stuff, just wish companies were flowing them shoes on a more regular basis.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »