Author Topic: achingly cool skateboard brands  (Read 10967 times)

Colinupinthishizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
achingly cool skateboard brands
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »
palace, FA, Bianca chandon, etc.

Will they survive the test of time beyond last seasons fashion? VHS style and grainy instagram style shit is very 2014.

Only time will tell....

Your thoughts,

Is this controversial? Or is it a discussion? Hmmm...

Malcolm Sex

• Rep: -89
Re: achingly cool skateboard brands
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »
My thoughts are thus: this thread fucking sucks

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:44:44 AM »
I think Bianca Chandôn has a lot of potential, because it's not a classical skateboard company format ; but I'm not sure about FA remaining too successful once the hype after the vans video will have disappeared.

Colinupinthishizzle

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:46:42 AM »

post a better one? 

Thought not.

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:50:34 AM »
I forget to check did Tracer start this thread?

I know I am totally watching Welcome for 2015 to bring back shorts over sweatpants, its so brad pitt mixed with bieber . . .

Ill tell you what though, I watched the Shawn Powers video from Palace and was stoked on them for sure. He reminds of Gonz personality wise it was refreshing compared to all the robot parts coming out weekly.

C

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »
famous stars and straps. skin. no fear. reckless.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

Malcolm Sex

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

post a better one? 

Thought not.

There are already plenty of better ones you dumbfuck. I don't need to post anything. You definitely don't.

Colinupinthishizzle

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:21:23 AM »
Again.

Anything constructive, original, insightful to offer?

No?

Thought not. 

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »
I feel like most of these brand will remain relevant.

The skateshop in my town is super spiteful towards these brands, as the owner believes that these brands are just temporary and trendy. Its unfortunate because for a skateshop, I feel like now is the time to help build up these brands, making it a "win win" for the skateshop and the companies, like FA, 3D, Bianca, CALL ME, Palace, All Timers. Also, keep in mind that these companies, like others, are ran by skateboarders, who are far from reluctant in celebrating diversity and modern ideas. So if anything, their ideas will translate into more superior products and a solid image, thus having a huge backing.

I really do not see these companies going away, as A. its way too early in the game to talk about the end of them, and B. this resurgence of new brands is nothing new, rather the cyclical trend of this crazy universe known as skateboarding.

white rapper

• Rep: -80
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »
I think palace has a promising future. they are made by baker so the quality is top notch.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

post a better one? 

Thought not.
[close]

There are already plenty of better ones you dumbfuck. I don't need to post anything. You definitely don't.

If you're gonna bitch you need to contribute something. It's like not voting and then complaining. Bad form and lazy.

To answer the OP, I'm not hyped on any of them, I feel they are the "high fashion" of skateboarding and I like the Kalis in Love style.These are companies that belong in shops like Upper Playground and Compound. They seem to be companies that have a skate team and not a skate company. Maybe I'm one of the old guard and just hate what's popular, I dunno.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
Again.

Anything constructive, original, insightful to offer?

No?

Thought not.�

Have you offered anything constructive, original, insightful by making this thread?  Or are you just speculating?  I mean, this discussion comes up pretty much every time a new board company is started.

I think palace has a promising future. they are made by baker so the quality is top notch.

Pretty sure Palace still uses DSM.

Malcolm Sex

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:53 AM »
Palace still do use DSM, yep.

New companies start and if they are good they become cool. What is there to debate? Trendy people like to wear clothes made by cool companies and since it ain't the 1990's right now, that sometimes means skate company gear. That's a good thing because it put s money in the skate companies so they can make more boards. What even is the debate ?

wattscain

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
I'm hesitant in supporting these brands because the only tangible thing they offer that's different is their team and the teams are mediocre to okay compared to larger brands. This idea of new innovations seems silly considering these brands use the same 2 or 3 wood companies as anyone else. Maybe the image thing can carry them but it comes down to talent and the ability to appeal to young money and not a bunch of dudes still wishing it was the mid 90's.

white rapper

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »
Palace still do use DSM, yep.

New companies start and if they are good they become cool. What is there to debate? Trendy people like to wear clothes made by cool companies and since it ain't the 1990's right now, that sometimes means skate company gear. That's a good thing because it put s money in the skate companies so they can make more boards. What even is the debate ?
they are on the bakerboys website though.
http://bakerboysdist.com/

Malcolm Sex

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »
Bakerboys distribute Palace in the US. They don't make the boards.

white rapper

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
Bakerboys distribute Palace in the US. They don't make the boards.
oh

Colinupinthishizzle

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

post a better one? 

Thought not.
[close]

[close]

If you're gonna bitch you need to contribute something. It's like not voting and then complaining. Bad form and lazy.

To answer the OP, I'm not hyped on any of them, I feel they are the "high fashion" of skateboarding and I like the Kalis in Love style.These are companies that belong in shops like Upper Playground and Compound. They seem to be companies that have a skate team and not a skate company. Maybe I'm one of the old guard and just hate what's popular, I dunno.

Exactly that.

For the record I like these brands - they are doing something fresh and different, just gauging others opinion as I'm interested, skating can come across quite core and it's cool that these brands are kinda taking influences from other cultures

Malcolm Sex

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

post a better one?� 

Thought not.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Exactly that.

For the record I like these brands - they are doing something fresh and different, just gauging others opinion as I'm interested, skating can come across quite core and it's cool that these brands are kinda taking influences from other cultures

You are a 50 year old businessman doing market research, aren't you?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 09:08:33 AM »
My bones ache because Welcome Skateboards is pretty cool. Either that or the lack of support my Chuck Taylors offer my knees.

Colinupinthishizzle

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

post a better one?� 

Thought not.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Exactly that.

[close]

You are a 50 year old businessman doing market research, aren't you?

you guessed it - I've also sussed you out as an angst ridden teenager with an acne problem (or the acronym ART)
Currently gauging what brands you are into so I can sell you shit you don't need.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
Fabo Les

/thread

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »
palace, FA, Bianca chandon, etc.

Will they survive the test of time beyond last seasons fashion? VHS style and grainy instagram style shit is very 2014.

Only time will tell....

Your thoughts,

Is this controversial? Or is it a discussion? Hmmm...
focus account plz
this has been talked about to death on here

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
just hoping flip tricks stay out of style with the kids so I can look like a badass.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
I don't support shit. I make my own boards from my own trees in my own forest.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:34 AM »
Its all about Mocha skateboards now

straight

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »

The skateshop in my town is super spiteful towards these brands, as the owner believes that these brands are just temporary and trendy. Its unfortunate because for a skateshop, I feel like now is the time to help build up these brands, making it a "win win" for the skateshop and the companies, like FA, 3D, Bianca, CALL ME, Palace, All Timers. Also, keep in mind that these companies, like others, are ran by skateboarders, who are far from reluctant in celebrating diversity and modern ideas. So if anything, their ideas will translate into more superior products and a solid image, thus having a huge backing.

I really do not see these companies going away, as A. its way too early in the game to talk about the end of them, and B. this resurgence of new brands is nothing new, rather the cyclical trend of this crazy universe known as skateboarding.

Does your towns skateshop sell sundresses and flip flops?

Mother Goose.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
fabo>bianca

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does your towns skateshop sell sundresses and flip flops?

No. Its a legit shop for sure, but as of lately, the owner and buyer are super interested in brands like Diamond and Staple, and they seem to be ignoring brands like Bianca, Hammers USA, and even Theories at this point….
Its unfortunate because at this current point in time, I have not been able to buy a board from the shop, seeing as all the ones on the wall are uninteresting and brands I do not care about. Even when DLX comes in, the boards are all 8.06 or something stupid like that.

GoodguyEh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Not gonna lie for the longest time I thought Bianca Chandon was a woman. Turns out its just a company made by a man who looks like a woman