Author Topic: Live Performances Thread  (Read 5948 times)

franquietits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
Live Performances Thread
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:06 AM »
Some of whats cool with music is the performance aspects. I like seeing energy, passion and how musicians like to back their craft. Some artists can really surprise you with their music when you see live footage or experience it (either turning you away from it, reaffirming your interest, opening your eye towards it or whatever it may be). Everybody wishes they could rock the stage & perform in front of others at least once in their life (maybe that could be a reason why some skaters love contests).   

-At the drive in - Arcarsenal (Sydney, Australia 2001): A friend of mine was way into their music years after the bands existence. Tried listening to it, hated it right away, wasn't really my cup of tea at all. Felt like teenage shit. Then seeing footage of their old performances really changed that for me. The guitarist's dancing/energy as well as the singer's. Never seen anything like them. Won me over.
At the Drive-in - Arcarsenal (Live @ Big Day Out '01)

-James Brown - Sunny (cover)(live at Olympia, Paris 1971). The song is soothing yet energetic at the same time. His dancing and singing tears the roof off.
James Brown-Sunny

-Ben Haenow - beatles cover. X factor Uk 2014.  I know, singing comps aren't cool, but this shits good.
Ben Haenow sings The Beatles' Come Together | Live Week 8 | The X Factor UK 2014

-Death Grips, live 2012, NPR concert.  1st song.:the drummers raging (looks like that sesame street drummer character) , the mc (MC Ride) reminds me of a voodoo priest dancing around a fire with all the lights flashing.
Death Grips | NPR MUSIC LIVE

-Meshell Ndegeocello - souls on ice (Glastonbury 1994).  She's a fierce bassist & the song grooves so hard. It's fun cause it cuts between shots of the crowd. Shows that a bassist can be at the front and still groove a show good.
Me'Shell Ndegeocello Glastonbury 1994 With Jojo Mayer, Pt 2

-Not mentioned: Little Dragon & Future Islands. Didn't know how either performed, but went to a concert from each of them. Holy shit, amazing dancing and focus. Little dragon performed for like nearly 2 hrs it felt like. Frnt woman was dancing non stop.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
Re: Live Performances Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »
these guys are a lot of fun and their chemistry is great ... this is a more or less impromptu birthday for the bass player, minimal pressure for the band, lots of fun

BOOB (Dopapod) & Friends: 2014-08-19 - Garcia's; Port Chester, NY (SET 1) [HD]

killer show ...Jaco is a god. Jazz players improvise and interact with each other like no other

Jaco Pastorius-live in montreal jazz fest 1982

this one I'm so happy about, full shows filmed intact from this era are a rarity, Santana in his prime

Santana - Full Concert - 08/18/70 - Tanglewood (OFFICIAL)

checking out the stuff you posted now Franq, great way to kill some time on a snowday!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:04 PM »
At the Drive-in - Arcarsenal (Live @ Big Day Out '01)

seconded, i saw them at the engine room in houston and was able to watch them warm up because a friend of mine owned the club and it was a standout live experience for me

lately i've been really into this grimes performance

Grimes - Vanessa live for 'In My Room' by Yours Truly and MTV Hive

always thought this devendra performance was great

Devendra Banhart - I just feel like a Child Live

like this for some evil shit

Gorgoroth - Revelations Of Doom (live)

and then the ultimate guilty pleasure

Rage Against The Machine & Cypress Hill - How I Could Just Kill A Man (HQ Live Video)

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »
Go see Pinback live.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »
I thinks whats also interesting is how some artists sound evolves and changes overtime and how that changes their performances.

At he drive in ---> the Mars Volta: 
ATDI - One Armed Scissor (Jools Holland) The person at the beginning has some pretty interesting points.
ATDI - One Armed Scissor (Jools Holland)

Day Of The Baphomets-The Mars Volta, Henry Rollins show (2006)  I thought it sounded kinda bizarre at first, but after awhile it grew on me. They became alot more musically diverse & still trashed it.
Day Of The Baphomets-The Mars Volta Henry Rollins show

Funkadelic ---> Parliament Funkadelic

George clinton and the Parliaments (1969). They were pretty soul/rock sounding earlier on. George Clinton looks so insane and full of energy. Their so much fun. at 3:00 is my favorite & could go good in a skate vid. they just have an air of coolness and emotional devotion.
George Clinton and The Parliaments 1969 (Part 1) 
I think their miming in this one, but you can still get a pretty good feel for their whole trip.
Funkadelic - I Got A Thing -1970

Flash Light (Part 1)- Houston 1978  Then they grew a little more deeper into their funk sound & their shows became bigger & more playful.
Flash Light (Part 1)- Houston 1978

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
This song by Built to Spill is pretty amazing live

Built To Spill - Full Concert - 03/15/12 - Stage On Sixth (OFFICIAL)

abudabi

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
There used to be an HD version on Youtube but I couldn't find it. You can skip the ad with that X in the corner. The whole concert doc. this is from looks and sounds awesome.  Mostly I think I'm into Cliff Williams' (bass player) style and how he and the rhythm guitar player walk all the way back and forth from the drums for the chorus.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17r5ir_ac-%CF%9F-dc-live-wire-paris-1980-hd-720p_music

Another obvious classic, also from Paris. Sabbath in their prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1uUMFK74JY

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
speaking of old metal and cliff anyone know where you can find good footage of old metalica with cliff on bass?

this is the only good one i know of

for whom the bell tolls

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »
Dr. Feelgood live in Finland (1975). Performing "She Does It Right", "Roxette" & plus an interview.
Their a British blues & rock pub band. The singer has fierce energy and the guitarist was known to be pretty mesmerizing for his playing and a gaze he'd get in his eyes. What's interesting about them is that they were somewhat considered Britain's next big thing until the Sex Pistols came on the scene and kinda ruined it for them.
There's also some cool story of how they came to New York during the height of 70's CBGB era and won everyone over (even though they had a  dissimilar sound for that scene).

Dr. Feelgood live in Finland 1975

Wilko Johnson guitar method / méthode guitare

abudabi

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
The Band at their peak, Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh 1970
one of the best recordings of The Band i've ever heard.

full concert audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTKqD5iLe4

video of four songs Rare Concert Footage of The Band, 1970

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »

abudabi

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 08:32:48 PM »
^haha holy shit that was tight, have a gnar

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »
speaking of old metal and cliff anyone know where you can find good footage of old metalica with cliff on bass?

this is the only good one i know of

for whom the bell tolls

there was that old video 'Cliff 'Em All' that had lots of Cliff Burton footage, even going back to when Dave Mustaine was in the band.

ooh, here it is! i used to watch this everygoddamn day when I was in middle school (btw it's get better at about 20 minutes in)
Metallica - Cliff 'Em All (Full DVD)

i always dig watching old footage of Ike and Tina Turner... Tina is a goddamn master of her craft and all that domestic turmoil she let out onstage, cause fuck she rules:

Ike & Tina Turner - Take you higher

Ike & Tina Turner - Proud Mary live on Italian TV 1971