Author Topic: SLAP members who have gotten sponsored...what changes about skating?  (Read 7160 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
Re: SLAP members who have gotten sponsored...what changes about skating?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
I was getting flow stuff from some people like 6 years ago and it was tight no real pressure, still a lot of fun it got my hyped to skate more and not be scared or contently breaking boards cause I was getting free stuff but then i blew my knee out and that was the end of that.
r u me? i think i am u

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
Expand Quote
The one thing that changed for me.. was meeting some other pro's and being super disappointed in the type of person they were in real life.
Dudes i thought would have been no doubt the coolest dudes in the world... sucked.

thats about it....
[close]

Who were you sponsored by?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »
Expand Quote
I remember getting sponsored like it was yesterday. All at once, I had Z-Rollers, Cell Block III Risers and Bird 2 copers knocking at my door. I was conflicted, though...rollers or copers? Was it possible to affix copers over Z-Rollers? I tried it, but they'd just fly off. Once my coper flew over the fence and hit the lady next door on the head while she was gardening. What a scene! LOL

Eventually all of my sponsors and I came to a compromise. I had two set ups. One with Z-Rollers and one with *unnamed* trucks with copers. To be honest, the rollers were my fave. There was nothing like the feeling of just rolling across the coping on my favorite pools and half pipes. That was real freedom. None of this icky scraping that happens when you grind stuff; YUCK! Copers were neat though because they'd leave behind a colored streak wherever you were shredding. I'd put on some pink ones and then do a 5-0 and everybody would know that I had been the last to shred that spot. Like a dog pissing on its territory, copers provided me a calling card I could leave, and all the locals knew to leave that spot alone for at least 3 weeks if it had the mark of GAY on it.

It wasn't long, though, before all this glitz and glamour wore off. I was tired of being the center of attention everywhere I went. It was exhausting! So I gave it all up. I turned my back on both the Z-Rollers and copers. Sometimes on a sunny afternoon when I see a spot that's just beggin' for a shreddin' I regret my decision, but I took up Bikram, Ananda, Hatha, Ishta, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Anusara, Kundalini and Naked yoga and put all that regret to rest behind my third eye.

I never gave up the Cell Block III risers though.
[close]

The funny thing was that "Z" was one of the most desirable companies to skate for as an am. During a heated jump ramp session at Venice in the '80s, you'd hear a loose Z-roller clanking away at a distance (in part, because only someone sponsored by Z would actually ride the stuff) and you'd know some overly stalled frigid airs were on the horizon.

This great story makes my stupid story entirely worth the work. Thanks Chavo!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I remember getting sponsored like it was yesterday. All at once, I had Z-Rollers, Cell Block III Risers and Bird 2 copers knocking at my door. I was conflicted, though...rollers or copers? Was it possible to affix copers over Z-Rollers? I tried it, but they'd just fly off. Once my coper flew over the fence and hit the lady next door on the head while she was gardening. What a scene! LOL

Eventually all of my sponsors and I came to a compromise. I had two set ups. One with Z-Rollers and one with *unnamed* trucks with copers. To be honest, the rollers were my fave. There was nothing like the feeling of just rolling across the coping on my favorite pools and half pipes. That was real freedom. None of this icky scraping that happens when you grind stuff; YUCK! Copers were neat though because they'd leave behind a colored streak wherever you were shredding. I'd put on some pink ones and then do a 5-0 and everybody would know that I had been the last to shred that spot. Like a dog pissing on its territory, copers provided me a calling card I could leave, and all the locals knew to leave that spot alone for at least 3 weeks if it had the mark of GAY on it.

It wasn't long, though, before all this glitz and glamour wore off. I was tired of being the center of attention everywhere I went. It was exhausting! So I gave it all up. I turned my back on both the Z-Rollers and copers. Sometimes on a sunny afternoon when I see a spot that's just beggin' for a shreddin' I regret my decision, but I took up Bikram, Ananda, Hatha, Ishta, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Anusara, Kundalini and Naked yoga and put all that regret to rest behind my third eye.

I never gave up the Cell Block III risers though.
[close]

I have a homie named Ananda. you can google him "Ananda Everingham"
BTW are you practicing Buddhism?

Oh hell no. I'm one of those annoying AA's, and that's all I do really.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I was getting flow stuff from some people like 6 years ago and it was tight no real pressure, still a lot of fun it got my hyped to skate more and not be scared or contently breaking boards cause I was getting free stuff but then i blew my knee out and that was the end of that.
[close]
r u me? i think i am u

Long lost twins?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi