Author Topic: SLAP members who have gotten sponsored...what changes about skating?  (Read 7166 times)

149cleveland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Does it become less fun? More fun? More pressure? Chicks? Dudes? Whatever you're into? Drugs? Sober? Does it go back to normal afterwards? Novels with poignant descriptions skateboarding is encouraged. I want to read your story. Hell, write your own epicly later'd. Just be sure to include an intro by Patrick O'Dell about you being the greatest skater of this generation for authenticity.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: SLAP members who have gotten sponsored...what changes about skating?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
I remember getting sponsored like it was yesterday. All at once, I had Z-Rollers, Cell Block III Risers and Bird 2 copers knocking at my door. I was conflicted, though...rollers or copers? Was it possible to affix copers over Z-Rollers? I tried it, but they'd just fly off. Once my coper flew over the fence and hit the lady next door on the head while she was gardening. What a scene! LOL

Eventually all of my sponsors and I came to a compromise. I had two set ups. One with Z-Rollers and one with *unnamed* trucks with copers. To be honest, the rollers were my fave. There was nothing like the feeling of just rolling across the coping on my favorite pools and half pipes. That was real freedom. None of this icky scraping that happens when you grind stuff; YUCK! Copers were neat though because they'd leave behind a colored streak wherever you were shredding. I'd put on some pink ones and then do a 5-0 and everybody would know that I had been the last to shred that spot. Like a dog pissing on its territory, copers provided me a calling card I could leave, and all the locals knew to leave that spot alone for at least 3 weeks if it had the mark of GAY on it.

It wasn't long, though, before all this glitz and glamour wore off. I was tired of being the center of attention everywhere I went. It was exhausting! So I gave it all up. I turned my back on both the Z-Rollers and copers. Sometimes on a sunny afternoon when I see a spot that's just beggin' for a shreddin' I regret my decision, but I took up Bikram, Ananda, Hatha, Ishta, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Anusara, Kundalini and Naked yoga and put all that regret to rest behind my third eye.

I never gave up the Cell Block III risers though.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
Was never sponsored but knew a lot of friends and people in L.A who did. I started working when i was like 17 part time and focused on school after high school so my skating usually came after that. I would have considered myself good at one point in the past but never had enough drive to pursue sponsorship. One thing i noticed is growing up in L.A alot of times the skaters here can be very bland and boring. Like no personality just your typical stair jumper with a consistent yo flip. I can see how people never really went beyond flow because they never brought anything new to the table, just kinda had the basics down. One thing i did use to hate is when some guys were just on shop flow and were claiming to be am. I was like wtf!?

Crybaby Shithead

• Rep: -44
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:57:20 PM »
does child of the ghetto still skate? that dude had potential

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »
A friend of mine was sponsored by Tail Devil and his life changed dramatically. As did mine, seeing as I got one free Tail Devil. Greatest time of my life.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »
The one thing that changed for me.. was meeting some other pro's and being super disappointed in the type of person they were in real life.
Dudes i thought would have been no doubt the coolest dudes in the world... sucked.

thats about it....

Crybaby Shithead

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 05:44:02 PM »
have you met Bobby Puleo?

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 06:28:49 PM »
I was getting flow stuff from some people like 6 years ago and it was tight no real pressure, still a lot of fun it got my hyped to skate more and not be scared or contently breaking boards cause I was getting free stuff but then i blew my knee out and that was the end of that.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

straight

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
The one thing that changed for me.. was meeting some other pro's and being super disappointed in the type of person they were in real life.
Dudes i thought would have been no doubt the coolest dudes in the world... sucked.

thats about it....

Who were you sponsored by?

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
Expand Quote

thats about it....
[close]

Dude seriously? Did you see the name of the guy who posted that?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 827
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
For me it just made want to skate a little harder and film more since i had to send photos and videos to the rep that was hooking me up. it was nice to have something to work towards rather than bullshitting around at the park all day

abudabi

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 07:00:10 PM »
like this dgkalis guy knows what hes talking about, pfffft

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 07:30:10 PM »
Sponsored might not be the most accurate word, but I get free things. Sometimes I skate with people that are pro, and sometimes I even go to those private skateparks. Nothing has changed in the least bit. I'm no more and no less motivated to go skate. I skate everyday when I can and I like to try new things sometimes. A lot of times I'm just doing a lot of the same stuff so I don't lose anything. I get excited when things show up to my door, but then my self imposed hype fizzles away
\_(ツ)_/
fuck you bama

Mother Goose.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »
money, cash, ego, thots

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
I'm hella pro now and I can't stand all the demo hoez throwing themselves at me blindly, and all the sweaty little boys asking me to autograph their Wal-Mart Darkstar setups. I just wanna keep it real in the streets liked it USED TO BE MANNNN *sigh*

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 10:05:01 PM »

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »
I was sponsored at 16, just for a local shop. But when i got to 18 i was trying pretty damn hard to get the best clips for my new sponsor me tape to send out to actual companies. No matter what i spot i went to i would just think, "oh so and so did this, i wonder if i do this trick ill show him up" Yeah i was a dick but than my anxiety got to the best of me and i stopped skating for 3 years. Now i just skate and have fun, i just go to the local skatepark now cause i love the box there and thats the only thing i want to skate is a ledge.

Crybaby Shithead

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
the only dude who really made it out of here is neen, i think most of the other dudes just live in california/arizona now

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
nothing

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »
^ Well obviously nothing changed for you, you obsessively film every fucking trick you do anyway no matter how shitty it is.

I was hooked up by a shop in High School, kids knew I did, so it awkwardly made me feel like I had to be super good every time I skated or the shop would be bummed.

A couple friends of mine have been sponsored, even have a couple who are pro. Once you are at that level you have to film like pretty much constantly to keep everybody happy. Just cruising around tends to go to the wayside for missions between planned out spots where somebody "has got something" to film.
A lot of the times there is extra pressure coming from photographers/filmers who come out with the only goal being to get something worth publishing, and despite acting like your buddy, are not there for just the small talk.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »
how has pine managed to stay so humble?

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
The intensity of skating isn't the same but skateboarding stays the same
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

shit_for_brains

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »

thats about it....

Koston? Koston.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
Expand Quote

thats about it....
[close]

Koston? Koston.
Obviously Brian Anderson

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
my wiener was bigger before my shop sponsor went under.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 11:20:42 PM »
I remember getting sponsored like it was yesterday. All at once, I had Z-Rollers, Cell Block III Risers and Bird 2 copers knocking at my door. I was conflicted, though...rollers or copers? Was it possible to affix copers over Z-Rollers? I tried it, but they'd just fly off. Once my coper flew over the fence and hit the lady next door on the head while she was gardening. What a scene! LOL

Eventually all of my sponsors and I came to a compromise. I had two set ups. One with Z-Rollers and one with *unnamed* trucks with copers. To be honest, the rollers were my fave. There was nothing like the feeling of just rolling across the coping on my favorite pools and half pipes. That was real freedom. None of this icky scraping that happens when you grind stuff; YUCK! Copers were neat though because they'd leave behind a colored streak wherever you were shredding. I'd put on some pink ones and then do a 5-0 and everybody would know that I had been the last to shred that spot. Like a dog pissing on its territory, copers provided me a calling card I could leave, and all the locals knew to leave that spot alone for at least 3 weeks if it had the mark of GAY on it.

It wasn't long, though, before all this glitz and glamour wore off. I was tired of being the center of attention everywhere I went. It was exhausting! So I gave it all up. I turned my back on both the Z-Rollers and copers. Sometimes on a sunny afternoon when I see a spot that's just beggin' for a shreddin' I regret my decision, but I took up Bikram, Ananda, Hatha, Ishta, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Anusara, Kundalini and Naked yoga and put all that regret to rest behind my third eye.

The funny thing was that "Z" was one of the most desirable companies to skate for as an am. During a heated jump ramp session at Venice in the '80s, you'd hear a loose Z-roller clanking away at a distance (in part, because only someone sponsored by Z would actually ride the stuff) and you'd know some overly stalled frigid airs were on the horizon.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 12:48:41 AM »

thats about it....

Come on. You can't come in here and say that without names and tales. We need the dirt or even tales without names, so we can fantasise about which pros are the biggest disappointments.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:33 AM »
I had a great time, but I imagine it is different now with the pressure to film and get a big shoe sponsor and energy drink deal.

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »

I have a homie named Ananda. you can google him "Ananda Everingham"
BTW are you practicing Buddhism?

Anyways,

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

thats about it....
[close]

[close]

Dude seriously? Did you see the name of the guy who posted that?

SLAP forum hammer of the year

Anyways,