Author Topic: Gripping your own board.  (Read 12296 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Gripping your own board.
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
You ever try to pee over your shoulder in the shower?
I try to pee over my head.

fangen

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahaha shower barrels are the shit.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
The worker should start gripping right away, it's what they're paid for. It's gettn on either way, I don't understand needing to grip your own board.

"It's fun"

Yea its 30 seconds of pressing your hands on a piece of wood, and trimming the excess. it's not fucking fun and I'd rather have someone else do it. Have none of you been to Six Flags?

You get your board gripped at Six Flags?
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
Expand Quote
The worker should start gripping right away, it's what they're paid for. It's gettn on either way, I don't understand needing to grip your own board.

"It's fun"

Yea its 30 seconds of pressing your hands on a piece of wood, and trimming the excess. it's not fucking fun and I'd rather have someone else do it. Have none of you been to Six Flags?
[close]

You get your board gripped at Six Flags?
I get sunburns and walletburns at six flags. Much like skating

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
10 years of gripping boards for me and my brothers and good friends. I never file the edges, just sand them after I cut it. Clean cut 100% of the time and have never had my grip peel up unless it's Jessup.

Just sniff some glue

• Rep: -3
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
this thread makes me feel like half of slap just came out as rollerbladers.

Seriously, after this thread i feel like a grip tape god. Are people gripping their boards with their teeth or something.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2015, 07:41:41 AM »
the last few boards ive bought, the guys at the counter act shocked when i say that i want to take it home and grip it myself. its almost like they dont want me to do it or dont think im capable.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
90% of the people buying boards at the shop aren't even interested in gripping their own.
We try to offer good service so we just automatically do it to speed things along.
Anyone is welcome to take 45 min gripping a board though, I enjoy doing it and most people appreciate a non bubbled clean cut job.
I used to think people should do their own but much like every other aspect of skateboarding, things change.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
the last few boards ive bought, the guys at the counter act shocked when i say that i want to take it home and grip it myself. its almost like they dont want me to do it or dont think im capable.
yeah, i almost feel offended if they ask to do it. this isn't some mid-life crisis fad that i'm trying out. like... i've been doing nollie flips since before you were born, shop kid.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you guys are blowing my mind right now

coneklr

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
yeah, i almost feel offended if they ask to do it. this isn't some mid-life crisis fad that i'm trying out. like... i've been doing nollie flips since before you were born, shop kid.

Bwahaha!  This shit made me lol so hard!  My friend is 40 and kills it and he gives the younger kids that are shit heads a hard time when they are out of line and once made a comment like I could treflip when you were in diapers and this reminded me of that ... thank you

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
I let them grip it once in a while (usually when buying a complete as a gift). I insist on tightening the mounting hardware myself as I prefer it flush with the deck (countersunk about 1mm past the grip). Most people tighten it too much or unevenly.

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2015, 06:28:09 AM »
I let them grip it once in a while (usually when buying a complete as a gift). I insist on tightening the mounting hardware myself as I prefer it flush with the deck (countersunk about 1mm past the grip). Most people tighten it too much or unevenly.

If you're that precise then do it yourself, you're sounding like a Saks Fifth shopper.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you have to put some force behind it or do you guys have that racehorse gush? Even got me thinking of trying it...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Do you have to put some force behind it or do you guys have that racehorse gush? Even got me thinking of trying it...
It's usually that first piss of the day. One of my goals a few summers back was to piss over my shoulder at a public urinal. I got the hang of it in the shower, but never had the balls to bust it out.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
I saw a kid buy a board at zumiez and when he asked to grip it himself they wouldn't let him do it there. I asked the guy about it after and it's cause kids with razors tend to cut themselves. I never cut myself when gripping my board and I don't think many people here have either but I can see why they wouldn't want to hand a 11 yr old a fresh razor blade.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »

If I've ever appeared shocked after that statement it's because I was hyped that I didn't have to grip another board.

Having worked in a shop and gripped many more boards than I've ridden, I'm on team "it's not fun." Sometimes I'll do a grip art project and that will be fun. But that isn't to say I had a problem with gripping a customer's board. The macho territorial business has never even occurred to me. If I can grip a board to make the shop guy's day easier, sure,I'll do it. If theydo it for me on their own, that's tight too.

I definitely made customers that were friends grip their own board when I found out they'd never done it before. Kind of a tough love older brother kind of thing.

Retox

• Rep: -47
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
I use to let shops grip my board when I was younger.  But now I always grip it myself cuz I like making a different cut out in front of the back truck bolt holes.  Even now with colored bolts I still cut it and place stickers under the cutout gap.  I just like the look when I look down to pop a trick.

Retox

• Rep: -47
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If I've ever appeared shocked after that statement it's because I was hyped that I didn't have to grip another board.

Having worked in a shop and gripped many more boards than I've ridden, I'm on team "it's not fun." Sometimes I'll do a grip art project and that will be fun. But that isn't to say I had a problem with gripping a customer's board. The macho territorial business has never even occurred to me. If I can grip a board to make the shop guy's day easier, sure,I'll do it. If theydo it for me on their own, that's tight too.

I definitely made customers that were friends grip their own board when I found out they'd never done it before. Kind of a tough love older brother kind of thing.

Nice.  It's like a rites of passage or baptism.

Mikey

• Rep: -8
    • Mikey Duran Photo avatar image
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
I don't always grip my own board.
But when I do...
I have the dude kickflip for me too.

grip your own board!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
It's usually that first piss of the day. One of my goals a few summers back was to piss over my shoulder at a public urinal. I got the hang of it in the shower, but never had the balls to bust it out.
can't remember if i ever did that cause of damaged memory due to abusive gandja smoke in my youth, but i'll give it a try tomorrow morning

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
You guys wouldn't say any of this grip tape shit to me face to face

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
always get them to grip it so that i have plenty of time to ask questions about the differences between the bearings...

actually i do it because i'm always in a hurry and i usually buy a ton of shit on the rare occassion i go to the shop so i pick my board first and give it to them to grip first and set up while i get shoes and other stuff worked out and if all goes well i'll be checking out right when my wife starts getting a stink face from trying to keep the kids form destroying the shop.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »
I had a lot of fun gripping my board last time.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
Worked at a shop for years, so I feel weird letting anyone grip my board.  I usually have a fresh back up deck at home. So I grip it there before I set it up.   Different grip pattern from the last every time.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
to clarify, it's not really a territorial thing to me. it's more that i am particular and i don't trust anyone else to be able to grip a board to my standards. "if you want something done correctly, do it yourself" kind of thinking. plus, those requirements have become more important over the years.

though, i have to admit that i do frown on those that don't really have standards for their own stuff. if bubbles in your grip are fine, you're cool with doing regular kickflips off the nose, and mongo pushing just has a bad rap, man. well... good for you. i'm sure you still wholeheartedly love skating, but i can't get down with that stuff.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
the first time i gripped a board was like my 2nd or 3rd deck i ever got and my mom and being 13 my mom was opposed to it- did a fucked up job but it improved each time.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

straight

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
I had a lot of fun gripping my board last time.

Not into artsy grip but you may have changed my mind. Really good. I knew that was ld before I even read the text

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2015, 07:49:49 PM »
On Tinder telling skate chicks I'll hit them if they grip my board.

Dengles

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
The other day I picked up a board at a shop I had never been to before, the dude started peeling the grip right away and I told him I wanted to do it myself but he said "why don't you just let me do it."  I then requested to have him leave a gap in the grip to show off the top deck graphic and he obliged but he had me help him do a two man grip job where I helped him by helping hold the grip while he aligned it.  It was one of the weirdest shop encounters I've ever had in my life, he was super nice though.