Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 231825 times)

OHJEEZZZUUSSS, typeischeap and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1140 on: November 12, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Slap Pals,

We're working to some new Deluxe deck shapes. Any shapes you like now that could use a tweak to make it perfect?

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or input we'd love to hear them!
[close]

TWIN NOSE BOARDS! BIGGER PADDLES!
[close]
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news for you guys, but He hasn't been on here since 2017

Yeah I was thinking of saying something earlier but thought I had posted too much already.

Given how many staff changes and other things have happened, along with production changes due to the pandemic, DLX seems like it has a different path than having such open input from Slap directed at one person, who as you said most likely left that role and their Slap account around the same time.

In saying that, the trend is towards shorter wheelbases, so they are showing that they are doing that, so they are still very much listening and moving with the market.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1141 on: November 12, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Slap Pals,

We're working to some new Deluxe deck shapes. Any shapes you like now that could use a tweak to make it perfect?

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or input we'd love to hear them!
[close]
there needs to be a twin nose gerwer strictly for marketing purposes. with a shorter wb than ishods/bobbys twins.

TWIN NOSE BOARDS! BIGGER PADDLES!
[close]
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news for you guys, but He hasn't been on here since 2017
[close]

Yeah I was thinking of saying something earlier but thought I had posted too much already.

Given how many staff changes and other things have happened, along with production changes due to the pandemic, DLX seems like it has a different path than having such open input from Slap directed at one person, who as you said most likely left that role and their Slap account around the same time.

In saying that, the trend is towards shorter wheelbases, so they are showing that they are doing that, so they are still very much listening and moving with the market.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1142 on: November 13, 2021, 04:34:01 AM »

there needs to be a twin nose gerwer strictly for marketing purposes. with a shorter wb than ishods/bobbys twins.

It was hard to see this line in between all the other quotes, so thought I should pull it out as it definitely deserves it's own line in a separate post.

There have been some really funny Gerwer "nose" boards in the past.

Did you ever see the Axle Nose board?

It is a keeper.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1143 on: November 13, 2021, 09:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It was hard to see this line in between all the other quotes, so thought I should pull it out as it definitely deserves it's own line in a separate post.

There have been some really funny Gerwer "nose" boards in the past.

Did you ever see the Axle Nose board?

It is a keeper.

i dont know how i posted in the middle of all those quotes. love all the nose boards from gerwer/ah,
this was a favorite

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1144 on: November 14, 2021, 01:59:22 AM »

For sure!

There was such a good one I could not get a hold of when it came out, and now cannot remember what it was called and nothing comes up on searches, but it was all time.

All the play on words as well as the funny graphics are so good.

I probably saved a picture somewhere, but not a worry really.

A few were the 8.18 size too.  I haven't seen that shape around for a while, but had a lot of them back between 2003 and 2010 before riding the black eagle 8.12 size.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1145 on: November 14, 2021, 08:54:56 AM »
I had this one back in the day.   :P

Enjoy your life.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #1146 on: November 15, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »
New DLX shape for Grimple Stix called True Full. ;D

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1147 on: November 15, 2021, 06:12:13 PM »
taking fa/hockey shapes head on
count me in
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1148 on: November 16, 2021, 04:24:15 AM »
It is an interesting one.

Dimensions were listed as 9 x 32.5 with a 14.9 wheelbase but I don't know what the kicks are like.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1149 on: November 16, 2021, 04:38:18 AM »
There are actually a few good ones on that Stock Report video.

8.75 flyer slick

9.3 eyes

8.88 gonz vertigo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1150 on: December 28, 2021, 08:22:45 PM »

Copied this to here as well, just in case it comes up again.

I’ve been tempted to try the 8.12 x 31.32 shape from deluxe, I’m curious to see if a shorter board will help me. I’m a pretty small guy and normally skate 8’s but I’m wondering if the extra width is a good trade off or if it would feel like too much.

Anyone skated that shape?

That board is a fairly small board, but I will say that when I went from 8 to 8.1 many years ago, it just felt so much more comfortable and sturdy, without being too big like an 8.25 board, which just felt like a boat at the time.

Now I am on much bigger boards, but that is besides the point.

I was skating the shape 8.12x31.3x14 for more than a year now and there was always one available either through AH or Krooked and sometimes Real. It seems that there is none currently, also not in the catalogs. Anyone knows whats up? I am based in Europe for the record.

@Eds_gallerist is still around, so might be able to answer

@Eds_gallerist

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1151 on: December 29, 2021, 06:04:13 AM »
Finally skated the 8.4 for a while and don’t prefer it to many similar shapes (DLX 8.5x31.8, BBS generic 8.25x31.9, etc). For me it felt slightly more stable, but the kicks felt oddly long and flat. It measures a hair over 32 so that could be it. Pop just wasn’t quite as snappy for me and it felt a bit flatter despite being the same mold number.

It’s definitely a pretty stable feeling shape that could be an alternative to the 8.25 if you want a shorter WB and don’t mind a bit of width. The kicks are a bit less full.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1152 on: December 29, 2021, 01:08:33 PM »

Expand Quote
I’ve been tempted to try the 8.12 x 31.32 shape from deluxe, I’m curious to see if a shorter board will help me. I’m a pretty small guy and normally skate 8’s but I’m wondering if the extra width is a good trade off or if it would feel like too much.

[close]

That board is a fairly small board, but I will say that when I went from 8 to 8.1 many years ago, it just felt so much more comfortable and sturdy, without being too big like an 8.25 board, which just felt like a boat at the time.

Expand Quote
I was skating the shape 8.12x31.3x14 for more than a year now and there was always one available either through AH or Krooked and sometimes Real. It seems that there is none currently, also not in the catalogs. Anyone knows whats up? I am based in Europe for the record.
[close]

@Eds_gallerist

Sure. I went down from 8.25 (all sorts of wheelbases and lenghts, didnt care about it) to the 8.12 x 31.3 shape. The change in width didnt make a huge difference. More so the length and the wheelbase. Especially the length makes a huge difference for me for tricks like fs flips,  nollie tres, hardflips and others. I would assume you dont notice the change in width much going up from 8 to 8.12.
Concave and nose/tail shape are pretty standard so no unpleasant surprises there

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1153 on: December 29, 2021, 06:32:56 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

@Eds_gallerist
[close]

Sure. I went down from 8.25 (all sorts of wheelbases and lenghts, didnt care about it) to the 8.12 x 31.3 shape. The change in width didnt make a huge difference. More so the length and the wheelbase. Especially the length makes a huge difference for me for tricks like fs flips,  nollie tres, hardflips and others. I would assume you dont notice the change in width much going up from 8 to 8.12.
Concave and nose/tail shape are pretty standard so no unpleasant surprises there

Sold! The short length to hopefully help with flip tricks is what made me consider it so that’s good to hear

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1154 on: December 29, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »
I normally ride the 8.25/14.38. I had an 8.4 laying around, and in light of recent posts I decided to take it out for a spin tonight. What a weird deck. It is the same length as the 8.25. Yet, it seems to feel...shorter?? It's the same width, but seems to feel...wider?? The nose is a tad longer than the 8.25, and that seems to throw off my nollie/switch tricks a bit. The tail isn't as "full" as the 8.25, and this seemed to make the tail feel smaller to me. I def don't like 14.25wb, either. Everything felt way too cramped. After skating for about 20 min on it, I was reminded why I had taken it apart the last time. I put the 8.25 back on, and was like, "OH, GOD YES! THIS DECK IS ECSTASY." So, some kid is going to end up with an almost brand new 8.4 next time I'm at the park. 

DLX 8.25" > All else
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1155 on: December 29, 2021, 11:53:39 PM »
I normally ride the 8.25/14.38. I had an 8.4 laying around, and in light of recent posts I decided to take it out for a spin tonight. What a weird deck. It is the same length as the 8.25. Yet, it seems to feel...shorter?? It's the same width, but seems to feel...wider?? The nose is a tad longer than the 8.25, and that seems to throw off my nollie/switch tricks a bit. The tail isn't as "full" as the 8.25, and this seemed to make the tail feel smaller to me. I def don't like 14.25wb, either. Everything felt way too cramped. After skating for about 20 min on it, I was reminded why I had taken it apart the last time. I put the 8.25 back on, and was like, "OH, GOD YES! THIS DECK IS ECSTASY." So, some kid is going to end up with an almost brand new 8.4 next time I'm at the park. 

DLX 8.25" > All else

It never ceases to amaze me how much of a difference something so small makes (and I know I have said it before too).

The 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb definitely has a place in the range, but as you said, it just doesn't work for you.

I am more the same on my 8.38 as you on your 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb.  My 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb just works for me, but who knows what I will be skating in a few years time.

I skated an 8.25, a couple of 8.5 (the long and the short versions) and an 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb the other day, just going through some boards that I have as I am thinking they should go to someone else who will enjoy them, but there were just little things about them all that just didn't work as well as my usual 8.38 nowdays.  All of them I had skated at one time or another as my main board too.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1156 on: December 30, 2021, 04:57:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

@Eds_gallerist
[close]

[close]

Sold! The short length to hopefully help with flip tricks is what made me consider it so that’s good to hear

Nice, let me/us know how you like it.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1157 on: December 30, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »

DLX 8.25" > All else

Had the exact same experience. I skated 8.5 decks all summer then tried the 8.4 to see if I could start downsizing in width and wb. Cramped is exactly the right word, something about the proportions especially on miniramp made me shelve it for a while. Since then went to the other direction to the 8.6/14.6wb and loving it.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1158 on: December 30, 2021, 07:06:17 AM »
It’s a weird shape for sure. It’s not bad- the extra length makes it feel a bit more stable than the short wb 8.5, but at the same time I liked that less than how much harder it felt to rotate for 180s and full cabs. The weirdest thing to me was that it felt as if it slid slower on the nose and tail but that could be me imagining nonsense. It reminded me a lot of a mellower Polar with how long the kicks are.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1159 on: December 30, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »
Fun fact: if I recall correctly, the 8.62 is the smallest board from the bigger mold. Like a cut-down 9.
SPB!

opesorry

« Reply #1160 on: December 31, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

@Eds_gallerist
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice, let me/us know how you like it.
So about that, I ended up finding the Mason/Natas Real 8.12 today, and the sticker said it was 32” long despite the Real catalog listing it as 31.32. They also had an Ishod twin tail that was listed at 31.5” and the 8.12 was definitely longer than that one.

I ended up buying the Ishod twin tail because I’ve been wanting to finally try it anyway, and if the 8.12’s not gonna be super short I don’t really want the extra width

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1161 on: December 31, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »

So about that, I ended up finding the Mason/Natas Real 8.12 today, and the sticker said it was 32” long despite the Real catalog listing it as 31.32. They also had an Ishod twin tail that was listed at 31.5” and the 8.12 was definitely longer than that one.

I ended up buying the Ishod twin tail because I’ve been wanting to finally try it anyway, and if the 8.12’s not gonna be super short I don’t really want the extra width

That is the normal 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, so definitely not the one you wanted.

I had seen in a couple of places, it looked like they had confused the listings, or even said something like 8.12 x 31.32 with 14.25 wb which is not correct (14.25 wb is on the 32 long version) so just watch out for that.

The one I know was the shorter one was the Real red oval logo most recently, as well as a couple of other boards I cannot recall at this point from previous catalogs, but the black eagle has always been the longer version and now two others are the 32 long version from recent catalogs, the Mason board and the Antihero Motel 18 board.

Edit:  added this again, even though I posted it before.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:57:10 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1162 on: December 31, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »

This one might be a go for the shorter board people, from the latest Real catalog:

opesorry

« Reply #1163 on: December 31, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is the normal 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, so definitely not the one you wanted.

I had seen in a couple of places, it looked like they had confused the listings, or even said something like 8.12 x 31.32 with 14.25 wb which is not correct (14.25 wb is on the 32 long version) so just watch out for that.

The one I know was the shorter one was the Real red oval logo most recently, as well as a couple of other boards I cannot recall at this point from previous catalogs, but the black eagle has always been the longer version and now two others are the 32 long version from recent catalogs, the Mason board and the Antihero Motel 18 board.

Edit:  added this again, even though I posted it before.

That makes sense, they must have just listed it wrong. Oh well, glad I waited to check some out in person, will definitely pick one up if I find the shorter one

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #1164 on: January 04, 2022, 12:34:43 AM »
Maybe this common knowledge, but any DLX deck with the dimensions as 8.5, 14.25wb, 31.8 is the exact same board as the Antihero blue eagle right?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: January 04, 2022, 04:00:35 AM »
Maybe this common knowledge, but any DLX deck with the dimensions as 8.5, 14.25wb, 31.8 is the exact same board as the Antihero blue eagle right?

That is correct.

There are two common 8.5 sizes and that is the shorter one.  The other is 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb, which was more common until shorter wheelbases were what people wanted from a year or so ago.

Best to keep an eye on which is which as sometimes they confuse them, or have the wrong size on the DLX catalog pages, even the stickers on the boards, but it is pretty easy to measure and work out which is which, even without a tape measure if you hold it up to an 8.25 or 8.38 among others.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1166 on: January 04, 2022, 05:51:50 AM »
What is the main difference (shape wise), between the 8.12 (31.2/14.25) and the 8.125 (32/14.25)? For awhile I thought they were the same, just listed differently (e.g. 8.12 and 8.125), but then I noticed DLX listing them with different lengths and realized they must be distinctly different decks??

I normally ride the 8.25", so I haven't looked real close at 8" DLX decks. Also, I feel like I've seen the black AH eagle listed as both 8.12 and 8.125. Throw in the 8.06 (31.8/14.38), and there is a lot going on in the 8" DLX world. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #1167 on: January 04, 2022, 06:59:17 AM »
is there a dlx 8.25 or 8.375 that has a 14.25 wheelbase and 31.7 - 32 length? the main 8.25 shape they're running has a 14.38 wb and the 8.375 is almost always 32.25 with a 14.5 wheelbase. i've seen one real ishod board that was just that 8.25 shape but with a 14.25 wb and a krooked 8.38 x 31.7 with a 14.1 wheelbase, which would be my perfect shape if the wheelbase was just an eighth longer. i've skated a snack that was a 10/10 shape, 14.25 wb and about 31.7 long (ps stix 32.125) but it broke in 4 sessions and now i'm skating a girl g016 which feels nice but i've never had a girl board before and i'm not so sure about the wood, and they're hard to find anyway. if i can't find anything i'm probably gonna end up on the shorter 8.5 shape. i had a magenta board that was 8.375 with a 14.25 wheelbase and i believe 31.875 length, that's bbs wood also afaik but i've never seen a dlx board on that shape.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #1168 on: January 04, 2022, 08:33:28 AM »
is there a dlx 8.25 or 8.375 that has a 14.25 wheelbase and 31.7 - 32 length? the main 8.25 shape they're running has a 14.38 wb and the 8.375 is almost always 32.25 with a 14.5 wheelbase. i've seen one real ishod board that was just that 8.25 shape but with a 14.25 wb and a krooked 8.38 x 31.7 with a 14.1 wheelbase, which would be my perfect shape if the wheelbase was just an eighth longer. i've skated a snack that was a 10/10 shape, 14.25 wb and about 31.7 long (ps stix 32.125) but it broke in 4 sessions and now i'm skating a girl g016 which feels nice but i've never had a girl board before and i'm not so sure about the wood, and they're hard to find anyway. if i can't find anything i'm probably gonna end up on the shorter 8.5 shape. i had a magenta board that was 8.375 with a 14.25 wheelbase and i believe 31.875 length, that's bbs wood also afaik but i've never seen a dlx board on that shape.

How’s that g016 treating you? I really liked the shape, on the one I had 5 ish years ago, but it was nos when I got it and warped.
It’s too big for me anyways, would love a similar shape,  that was much smaller (8).
The Craig wood has been ok for me, sometimes it gets weird pressure cracks, sometimes it feels a little…less than lively, too stiff maybe? It’s pretty much what I’ve been sticking with, crailtap stuff, due to them making smaller boards. I think they are more consistent now, but the last one I thought was unreasonably good was from the old wood shop I, and pretty much everyone else, hated on.

Dlx boards are almost always too big/long for me, admittedly I’m not the target market.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1169 on: January 04, 2022, 09:16:58 AM »

The 8.5 measures 8.375, so could be similar to that Magenta. I like the shape a lot