Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 232205 times)

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1050 on: September 10, 2021, 04:05:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Skated the Blue Meanie with Af1 55s for about two hours today. Took some time to get used to since I've skated only 14.25 and under wb decks. After an hour everything felt so good,. Very stable, quick and responsive turning, I could flip my deck just like before. Only small ramps felt kinda weird but I usually skate bigger ramps anyway. I never really like shaped boards before but something felt so right with this setup. I think the deck's length might have something to do with it. Great, great deck with Aces at least. Definitely would get it again.
[close]

Yeah, sweet!

So good when you find something that works like that too.

People I know have been enjoying riding their AF1 trucks and the felt good having a few laps round the park on their boards too, so I know what you are meaning.

It feels awesome when your setup works super well, it's almost like playing a video game with great and snappy controls. I'm curious to try a 14.5 or 15" wheelbase now to find that perfect setup. Or then it is this one.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1051 on: September 12, 2021, 07:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone else here think it's a bit odd (putting it politely) that most DLX decks (with wheelbases above 14.25") don't match the geometry of Thunder trucks? For example Thunder trucks on an Ishod 8.3 TT skates like shit and almost impossible to manual compared to when paired with Indys or Ace.
[close]

That's because Thunders suck.

Not to derail the thread, but I can't imagine a company that has been in bid'ness for how many years, and they still can't figure out how to make industry standard sized trucks, such that it causes multi-post consternation over which size to ride. Different is one thing. Stupid is another. Lot of turboclown going on over at Ace, IMHO.

But anyway, the 8.25/32/14.38...that is the DLX shape (to bring it back on topic).
[close]

Agreed on that being the GOAT shape, glad DLX churns em out pretty regularly so I don't have to think too much every time I pick up a new one.

I recently stood on the 8.75" Classic eagle. I normally ride the 8.25/14.38 shape, but I really liked the 8.75 Eagle, despite the fact that it was a boat. Then I realized why; it's basically the exact same shape as the 8.25, but just bigger. To that end, I'd love to see DLX produce that shape (e.g. the 8.25) in other width/wheelbases, too. 

Also, I have Blue Meanie coming this week. Way bigger than I normally ride, but it seemed like something fun to try.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

pops

• Rep: 238
« Reply #1052 on: September 13, 2021, 07:19:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone else here think it's a bit odd (putting it politely) that most DLX decks (with wheelbases above 14.25") don't match the geometry of Thunder trucks? For example Thunder trucks on an Ishod 8.3 TT skates like shit and almost impossible to manual compared to when paired with Indys or Ace.
[close]

That's because Thunders suck.

Not to derail the thread, but I can't imagine a company that has been in bid'ness for how many years, and they still can't figure out how to make industry standard sized trucks, such that it causes multi-post consternation over which size to ride. Different is one thing. Stupid is another. Lot of turboclown going on over at Ace, IMHO.

But anyway, the 8.25/32/14.38...that is the DLX shape (to bring it back on topic).
[close]

Agreed on that being the GOAT shape, glad DLX churns em out pretty regularly so I don't have to think too much every time I pick up a new one.
[close]

I recently stood on the 8.75" Classic eagle. I normally ride the 8.25/14.38 shape, but I really liked the 8.75 Eagle, despite the fact that it was a boat. Then I realized why; it's basically the exact same shape as the 8.25, but just bigger. To that end, I'd love to see DLX produce that shape (e.g. the 8.25) in other width/wheelbases, too. 

Also, I have Blue Meanie coming this week. Way bigger than I normally ride, but it seemed like something fun to try.

I rode pretty much only 14.25 and 14.375wb and then jumped to that 8.75 shaped eagle. I could definitely feel the jump in wb but didn't bother me at all. I think the board's shape helps alot how it feels. Still, we're all different in size and it might not work for all.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1053 on: October 05, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »

Did you set up the Blue Meanie yet?

If so how did it feel?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1054 on: October 05, 2021, 06:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you set up the Blue Meanie yet?

If so how did it feel?

I rode it for about two days and then gave it to a friend. It was fun, but I liked my popsicle a lot more.

Unrelated: I was in a Vans store last week. Was peaking the decks while getting shoes. They had an “8.28” Mason eyes deck. It had the 8.28 sticker on it. However, it was CLEARLY the 8.25/14.38 shape.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1055 on: October 06, 2021, 10:06:05 PM »
Anyone know what’s up with the Full Shapes? I know they’re making the Full- SE shapes, but I haven’t seen any “Full” shapes.

I’m guessing it has to do with the wheelbases? Drilling multiple decks at a time with the same wheelbases, but shaping them differently must save money. Hopefully since production is starting to get back to normal, we’ll see more soon.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1056 on: October 07, 2021, 03:18:57 AM »
Anyone know what’s up with the Full Shapes? I know they’re making the Full- SE shapes, but I haven’t seen any “Full” shapes.

I’m guessing it has to do with the wheelbases? Drilling multiple decks at a time with the same wheelbases, but shaping them differently must save money. Hopefully since production is starting to get back to normal, we’ll see more soon.

The trend is going more towards shorter wheelbased decks, so I would say the original FULL shapes might be few and far between now.

There might have been one or two in the last couple of catalog listings, maybe an 8.25 Full and I seem to recall an 8 or something small, but apart from that, not really anything.

I found the bigger FULL boards really good, wide long kicks, longer wheelbases, very big boards overall, but as said, the trend is going more towards shorter wheelbases so they introduced the Full SE (Short edition) and they are more popular.

At least the 8.38 and 8.5 SE which are still fairly common have 14.38 wb and are 32.25 long.

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

What size were you after?

WideFeet

« Reply #1057 on: October 07, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The trend is going more towards shorter wheelbased decks, so I would say the original FULL shapes might be few and far between now.

There might have been one or two in the last couple of catalog listings, maybe an 8.25 Full and I seem to recall an 8 or something small, but apart from that, not really anything.

I found the bigger FULL boards really good, wide long kicks, longer wheelbases, very big boards overall, but as said, the trend is going more towards shorter wheelbases so they introduced the Full SE (Short edition) and they are more popular.

At least the 8.38 and 8.5 SE which are still fairly common have 14.38 wb and are 32.25 long.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that trend. Really hope they bring them back.

I want an 8.38 Full. I might have to settle soon and grab a 8.38 or 8.5 Full SE and give it a shot

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1058 on: October 07, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I want an 8.38 Full. I might have to settle soon and grab a 8.38 or 8.5 Full SE and give it a shot

The 8.38” Full is so nice. It does feel long but I got along really well with the one I had. Still have one new in my stack of decks. I’ve come to the conclusion that shorter boards really aren’t for me even though they are more manageable in many ways. I like the stability of a longer deck. My current Polar P2 feels too sketchy and it’s not abnormally short just a tad short for my taste.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1059 on: October 07, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
The full 8.18 and Full 8.25SE were my faves.

The Full 8.25SE lowpro II, now that was something special.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #1060 on: October 07, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have an 8.25 full se real and it measures as 8 3 all the way thru. I thought it looked bigger than the other 8.25 boards I have so I measured it and low and behold it was 8.3. Everything else was spot on tho. 32 length and 14.25 wb.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1061 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
I have an 8.25 full se real and it measures as 8 3 all the way thru. I thought it looked bigger than the other 8.25 boards I have so I measured it and low and behold it was 8.3. Everything else was spot on tho. 32 length and 14.25 wb.

3 of the 5 - 8.25SE FULLs I rode were actually 8.3 (which is why I loved that shape so).

I'd ride the 8.18 full if they still made it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:47:18 PM by Xen »

WideFeet

« Reply #1062 on: October 07, 2021, 03:56:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The 8.38” Full is so nice. It does feel long but I got along really well with the one I had. Still have one new in my stack of decks. I’ve come to the conclusion that shorter boards really aren’t for me even though they are more manageable in many ways. I like the stability of a longer deck. My current Polar P2 feels too sketchy and it’s not abnormally short just a tad short for my taste.

I like the longer wheelbases myself. 14.5 is the sweet spot. More stability. For some reason, 360 flips work way better with a long wheelbase. I just skated a 14.25 wheelbase and everything works perfect, except 360 flips. That trick is such a struggle for me with a shorter wheelbase

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1063 on: October 07, 2021, 05:51:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like the longer wheelbases myself. 14.5 is the sweet spot. More stability. For some reason, 360 flips work way better with a long wheelbase. I just skated a 14.25 wheelbase and everything works perfect, except 360 flips. That trick is such a struggle for me with a shorter wheelbase

That is why the normal 8.38 boards with 14.5 wb and 32.25 length are my go to, as I can deal with the shape easily enough and still have a good wheelbase.

The older 8.38 FULL which I still have a box of and another box of 8.5 FULL all have 14.6 + wheelbases, so they are definitely longer again.

If you were in AU I would be happy to share.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1064 on: October 07, 2021, 07:54:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That is why the normal 8.38 boards with 14.5 wb and 32.25 length are my go to, as I can deal with the shape easily enough and still have a good wheelbase.

The older 8.38 FULL which I still have a box of and another box of 8.5 FULL all have 14.6 + wheelbases, so they are definitely longer again.

If you were in AU I would be happy to share.

I was a fan of the 8.5 Full for bigger transition. I've since switched over to the 8.75 shape (same 14.6 WB that the 8.5 full had), but I am running 159s on that...and I kind of like 149s more (8.25 with 144s is my street board).

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1065 on: October 07, 2021, 09:25:14 PM »

I was a fan of the 8.5 Full for bigger transition. I've since switched over to the 8.75 shape (same 14.6 WB that the 8.5 full had), but I am running 159s on that...and I kind of like 149s more (8.25 with 144s is my street board).

Those 8.75s are such a solid board - I have a few second hand white eagles from people, which are a little more nimble than the 9" orange eagles but way more stable than the other smaller boards like the ones I usually ride in 8.38 or 8.5 with 149s too.

Did you mean you have tried 149s on it, or you would like to try them on it?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1066 on: October 07, 2021, 11:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those 8.75s are such a solid board - I have a few second hand white eagles from people, which are a little more nimble than the 9" orange eagles but way more stable than the other smaller boards like the ones I usually ride in 8.38 or 8.5 with 149s too.

It's been awhile since I rode an 8.5 full. That said, I think I'd rather be riding an 8.5/14.6 with 149s than an 8.75/14.6 with 159s. The 8.75 is a fun board, though. Every once in awhile I'll break it out for a street session, and despite being a boat, it feels really good when you hit stuff perfect on it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1067 on: October 08, 2021, 02:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's been awhile since I rode an 8.5 full. That said, I think I'd rather be riding an 8.5/14.6 with 149s than an 8.75/14.6 with 159s. The 8.75 is a fun board, though. Every once in awhile I'll break it out for a street session, and despite being a boat, it feels really good when you hit stuff perfect on it.

Ah yeah, got it now.

After trying out quite a few different options in between, I went up from 8.125 black eagle on 139s (then 144s) to now being on the 8.38 olive eagle on 149s, so that is a nice slightly wider but still nimble setup and one I know will not be out of stock so I kept skating that size and shape, especially compared to the bigger feeling 8.38 Full or 8.5 Full which I have 60mm classics on for a go fast board, but have tucked the rest away in case I need a retirement board package, so to speak. 

Funny that as soon as they stopped production on all of those, I stopped skating them for the most part, because I knew if or when I ran out, I doubt I could find any more.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1068 on: October 08, 2021, 07:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah yeah, got it now.

After trying out quite a few different options in between, I went up from 8.125 black eagle on 139s (then 144s) to now being on the 8.38 olive eagle on 149s, so that is a nice slightly wider but still nimble setup and one I know will not be out of stock so I kept skating that size and shape, especially compared to the bigger feeling 8.38 Full or 8.5 Full which I have 60mm classics on for a go fast board, but have tucked the rest away in case I need a retirement board package, so to speak. 

Funny that as soon as they stopped production on all of those, I stopped skating them for the most part, because I knew if or when I ran out, I doubt I could find any more.

Talk to me about the 8.125 eagle. I had one of those a long time ago. I remember the tail being longer than almost any other DLX deck, coming in at close to 8.6/8.7. Is my memory wrong, or is that true? Also, is the 8.125 eagle the same dimensions as the other 8.12/31.32 (e.g. Curb Riot) shapes? I have not taken as close a look at the sub 8.25 decks as I should.

The 8.38/14.5 is nice, too. The nose/tail are tad too rounded for me (compared to the 8.25 or the 8.75), but it does ride nice. I kind of trip out on decks that are half-way between standard truck sizes. Like, the which-one-do-I-put-on madness ensues.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1069 on: October 08, 2021, 01:21:50 PM »

Talk to me about the 8.125 eagle. I had one of those a long time ago. I remember the tail being longer than almost any other DLX deck, coming in at close to 8.6/8.7. Is my memory wrong, or is that true? Also, is the 8.125 eagle the same dimensions as the other 8.12/31.32 (e.g. Curb Riot) shapes? I have not taken as close a look at the sub 8.25 decks as I should.

The 8.38/14.5 is nice, too. The nose/tail are tad too rounded for me (compared to the 8.25 or the 8.75), but it does ride nice. I kind of trip out on decks that are half-way between standard truck sizes. Like, the which-one-do-I-put-on madness ensues.

Sometimes I wonder what was going on with older setups I had been on for ages, like the 8.125 and had a number of 8.18 before that, which are a slightly smaller version of the 8.25 but the reality is being more into transition and having the deck last as long as possible, the longer tails were exactly what I wanted.

The 8.125 x 32 with a 14.25 wheelbase allowed for, as you said, the longest tail of all DLX shapes, about 6.8" but overall that setup was very much still an 8" with a better shape (on 139s), when compared to the bigger boards - 8.25 in DLX shapes are way more like 8.3+ for other brands and always worked better with 149s, all before 144s came out.

Those shorter 8.12 and 8.28 and whatever other shapes now didn't even register on the interest list for me, not back then and not now either, but that is not to say that they aren't great for the shorter skaters out there, of which there are lots. I recall getting one and passing it on after the first session - way too small (short) for me.

Re truck sizes, I like the wheels to be to the same line as the deck, so 144s on 8.125 worked well, similarly 149s work perfectly on 8.38 DLX ( which is more like 8.5 anyway) so no magic carpet rides here.

That is why I would say the 8.25 is about the perfect all rounder, as I do have a couple set up - one on 144s, one on 149s, which were second hand from others and I can understand the attraction - they are great boards.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1070 on: October 08, 2021, 01:53:17 PM »
Not sure if BA is being serious, but he mentions testing a new board on his IG. Is DLX coming out with something like a Pop Secret type deck?

Edit: Damn he took down the post and I didn't screenshot it
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:37:05 PM by FatGuy92 »

Dan Gerous

« Reply #1071 on: October 08, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »
Maybe they're making Heavyweights again...

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1072 on: October 09, 2021, 12:03:47 AM »
Man, I miss 8.06 Full shapes.
Hope they will return.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1073 on: October 09, 2021, 02:54:31 AM »

For @Sedition

This one I had meant to post a while back, when there was talk about the size stickers, but for whatever reason I hadn't posted, or the pics were blurry or whatever, but today I had the time and inclination to take more pics again and post this:

DLXSF deck sticker variations

Over the years DLXSF has had some of the most easily recognisable stickers on their decks, from the first sort with just the width, then the width and wheelbase, then width wheelbase and length, etc. I could have taken pics of all the sizes and shapes I have, but would run out of frames, so just doing the 8.5 for now.

The latest ones (not shown) also have something along the lines of "When you're done, pass it on" but not those words exactly, mainly to encourage people to pass on their old product to those who need it.

The main thing with the dimension stickers is to show the options in the board shapes too, with the 8.5 having a few options, as per the pics, one a shorter board, one a good size medium length and one with a longer wheelbase to keep everyone happy. The other interesting thing to note is all three decks are pressed differently, so the wheelbase matches the concave perfectly in each, rather than just having one mold for all and having lots of flat after the bolts on the shorter one, to none on the longer one.

As much as I prefer the 8.38 size and shape nowdays, I have had quite a few of all of these over the years too, which have been good for different things, eg short one for street, medium for an all rounder and long for big ramp (also preferred by the vert guys I know).

As the emerging trend is towards shorter wheelbases, the last one is most likely not going to be in production much, if at all, with another even shorter one out now for Real in the current catalog, with a 14.0 wheelbase and 31.75 length.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1074 on: October 09, 2021, 08:04:07 AM »
With 8.06 full not being produced in last couple of seasons my option was regular DLX 8.06 with 14.38 wheelbase.
Those are also very nice shapes, bit tapered nose and tail, tail is bit longer than on full shape and wheelbase is bit shorter. Overall deck is like 2mm shorter than full 8.06 shape.
By the way, I discovered that DGK 8.06 shapes are completely same as DLX regular 8.06 with 14.38 wheelbase (both produced by BBS).
I like long and narrow decks, I had BBS produced Sk8mafia that was 7.8 with 14.44 wheelbase and 32 overall length, that shape was awesome.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1075 on: October 09, 2021, 08:19:57 AM »
As the emerging trend is towards shorter wheelbases, the last one is most likely not going to be in production much, if at all, with another even shorter one out now for Real in the current catalog, with a 14.0 wheelbase and 31.75 length.

I have not seen one of these in person yet. It seems like without dropping length, these things would have abnormally long nose/tails.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1076 on: October 09, 2021, 04:19:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have not seen one of these in person yet. It seems like without dropping length, these things would have abnormally long nose/tails.

To break down the dimensions, a 31.75 long deck with a 14 wheelbase has about a 7" nose and 6.5" tail, which is pretty much standard, give or take a bit less length in nose and a bit more in the tail, eg 6.9 nose and 6.6 tail which would still skate pretty well.

The blue eagle 8.5 short length of the main ones has a slightly shorter nose than that at 6.875 and tail at 6.5 whereas the slightly longer 32.25 length with 14.38 wb has a 7" nose and 6.5" tail, same as the above size with 14.0" wb.

The standard DLX 8.25 x 32 has 14.38 wb with 6.87 nose and 6.5 tail, for reference.

I get what you are saying though, as I prefer slightly longer tails, but one Alien Workshop deck that was 32.25 long with a 14.1 wheelbase had a very long nose and tail for what I was used to, which put me off and made everything different.  Passed that one on to someone else after a couple of sessions.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #1077 on: October 09, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
With 8.06 full not being produced in last couple of seasons my option was regular DLX 8.06 with 14.38 wheelbase.
Those are also very nice shapes, bit tapered nose and tail, tail is bit longer than on full shape and wheelbase is bit shorter. Overall deck is like 2mm shorter than full 8.06 shape.
By the way, I discovered that DGK 8.06 shapes are completely same as DLX regular 8.06 with 14.38 wheelbase (both produced by BBS).
I like long and narrow decks, I had BBS produced Sk8mafia that was 7.8 with 14.44 wheelbase and 32 overall length, that shape was awesome.
I’m also bummed that DLX isn’t making the 8.06 full anymore. That was my go to. I’ve been riding 8.0 Alltimers the last few boards  and the shape is pretty close to the DLX shape I liked. The wood is great and skating a Sablone board is pretty tight too.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1078 on: October 09, 2021, 09:27:01 PM »
Has anyone skated an Ishod 8.0 or 8.25 twin tail and a deck with a 14.38 wb? They’re supposed to be a 14.3 and 14.33 wb so I was wondering if there was actually a noticeable difference.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1079 on: October 10, 2021, 12:31:03 AM »
Anyone know the nose/tail length of the 8.28 shape?