Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233434 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1230 on: February 09, 2022, 04:17:25 PM »
Has anyone skated both the DLX 8.25x14.38 as well as the BBS generic 8.38 that brands like The Killing Floor, Pass~Port, etc use? They seem pretty damn similar but what I am most interested is the steepness of the kicks/fingers of flat.

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1231 on: February 09, 2022, 04:25:36 PM »
Has anyone skated both the DLX 8.25x14.38 as well as the BBS generic 8.38 that brands like The Killing Floor, Pass~Port, etc use? They seem pretty damn similar but what I am most interested is the steepness of the kicks/fingers of flat.

I have a few I can pull out and check / compare.

The DLX 8.25 always seemed wider, as well as steeper than most other DLX boards I have, regardless of the I to IV on top.

Comparatively the other brands in BBS of the 8.38 at 32 with 14.375 wb are very similar in dimensions but different in shape and almost always much flatter, in brands like Passport, but more or less the same in Polar and a couple of others.

Bakerboys (Birdhouse, Baker and Deathwish), DGK and others I have are all the same as the DLX 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, so most likely not the size and shape you are after.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1232 on: February 09, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »
I always found Polar pretty steep with minimal fingers of flat but maybe it was the size I had from them.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1233 on: February 10, 2022, 09:18:57 PM »
I always found Polar pretty steep with minimal fingers of flat but maybe it was the size I had from them.

They are mostly shorter wheelbases, so use shorter molds in general I think, which would often translate to less room from bolts to the kicks but the BBS molds don't really comply with the usual "fingers of flat" methodology as per other boards that have a definite line where the kicks start.

The easiest way to explain it is the boards just feel heavy to lift for manual or similar things if the holes are drilled too far towards the kicks, whereas they board will feel very light to manual or do things on if the holes are in a lot further.  Experienced this first hand when drilling out and drilling in wheelbases on BBS boards.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1234 on: February 12, 2022, 07:21:14 AM »
I got one of the new Grimple 8.25s and compared it to my generic BBS 8.38 that has the same WB. It measures identical (and is wider than 8.25). When I place it on top of the 8.38 it might be a hair more full. I don’t recall the Roman Numeral on the top cuz I never have a choice.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1235 on: February 13, 2022, 01:56:09 AM »
I got one of the new Grimple 8.25s and compared it to my generic BBS 8.38 that has the same WB. It measures identical (and is wider than 8.25). When I place it on top of the 8.38 it might be a hair more full. I don’t recall the Roman Numeral on the top cuz I never have a choice.

They are a big feeling 8.25 board, which I think is good.

Didn't you see the top, or did the shop grip it before sending or something?

Not a worry either way.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1236 on: February 13, 2022, 07:25:47 AM »
I forgot to check before gripping but I think it was a III. I don’t find it super full or crazy feeling and actually like the toothpick shape of both. Just surprised to see it as basically the same shape I thought something would be noticeably different.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #1237 on: February 13, 2022, 07:56:18 AM »
8.38 Manderson shape

Holy shit, this looks good. Is this shape any Manderson 8.38?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1238 on: February 13, 2022, 10:47:40 AM »
Any shape labeled Manderson Shape they have it on the sticker or will specify. It’s a boat if that’s what ur into

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1239 on: February 14, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Apologies if it’s already been answered, but does anyone know which size trucks would fit best on the 9.5 Ray Barbee street shape?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1240 on: February 14, 2022, 06:24:41 PM »
Apologies if it’s already been answered, but does anyone know which size trucks would fit best on the 9.5 Ray Barbee street shape?

I am looking for pics of boards through the forums as I know some people have had that board, but cannot find any right this second.

Besides that, Conflict Skates has info on it

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/krooked--clouds---ray-barbee-skateboard-deck-95-x-3175--old-skool-ltd-mark-gonzalez-31679-p.asp

Front bolts 9"

Back bolts 8.125"

Best truck (using Indy as a guide) 169s for the old school 80s fish look, 159s for a slightly more narrow look of the same, even 149s with wide wheels would also work, as per a board I just put together with similar dimensions, which feels pretty good to skate and keeps a bit more normal profile as well.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1241 on: February 14, 2022, 06:31:07 PM »

Found a couple in the 9+ thread directly:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3675026#msg3675026

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3674141;topicseen#msg3674141

Feel like every week I’m in a board crisis.
Fooling myself that trying a smaller board somehow I’ll have more tricks. Just get frustrated and go back to what feels good.
This barbee is pretty fun.
Krooked barbee
Indy 159 hollow with mid base plates
Dlx tackle green 94a bushings
Spitfire f4 classic og 55mm 99a
Bones swiss
Bender Allen
Jessup
Dngr rails made from recycled snowboard sidewalls
Dunks

Expand Quote
That setup was a while ago.
No top shot, sorry.
[close]

@nekro I had this setup earlier this year, barbee clouds on Indy 159s with spit conical full 56s. Honestly felt great, I at some point switched the trucks to ace classic 55s and didn’t feel hot rod-y.

Hope that helps

xpost from setup thread

krooked ray barbee redux 9.5/31.75/14.25
venture 5.6 w/indy 78a+flat washers (not pictured)
2mm polycarbonate risers from a pal
f4 conical full 53mm 99a
swiss 6
bronze allen
mob
sb dunk lows/adidas tyshawns

primitive egg is going into storage for a later revisit. taking tonight to get used to the taller setup. looking to put 56-58mm conical fulls on this sometime next week when they hit the local

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1242 on: February 14, 2022, 07:26:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Found a couple in the 9+ thread directly:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3675026#msg3675026

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3674141;topicseen#msg3674141

Expand Quote
Feel like every week I’m in a board crisis.
Fooling myself that trying a smaller board somehow I’ll have more tricks. Just get frustrated and go back to what feels good.
This barbee is pretty fun.
Krooked barbee
Indy 159 hollow with mid base plates
Dlx tackle green 94a bushings
Spitfire f4 classic og 55mm 99a
Bones swiss
Bender Allen
Jessup
Dngr rails made from recycled snowboard sidewalls
Dunks

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That setup was a while ago.
No top shot, sorry.
[close]

@nekro I had this setup earlier this year, barbee clouds on Indy 159s with spit conical full 56s. Honestly felt great, I at some point switched the trucks to ace classic 55s and didn’t feel hot rod-y.

Hope that helps
[close]

Expand Quote
xpost from setup thread

krooked ray barbee redux 9.5/31.75/14.25
venture 5.6 w/indy 78a+flat washers (not pictured)
2mm polycarbonate risers from a pal
f4 conical full 53mm 99a
swiss 6
bronze allen
mob
sb dunk lows/adidas tyshawns

primitive egg is going into storage for a later revisit. taking tonight to get used to the taller setup. looking to put 56-58mm conical fulls on this sometime next week when they hit the local
[close]

Amazing. Thanks so much for this!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1243 on: February 18, 2022, 06:35:34 PM »

For reference, here are the two to compare, both the same length and wheelbase, almost the same width, but significantly different when you see the tops of the normal 8.4 board and then the 8.38 Manderson shape:

8.4 (normal shape)

8.38 Manderson shape

Wow, I never knew the 8.3 Manderson was shaped, and ike that. That's my go to type of shape. Shame the WB is so big; I take it they don't use that shape on the 8.25" Manderson?

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #1244 on: February 18, 2022, 07:47:23 PM »
I got that shape after seeing it in this thread. It’s too good. Hopefully I can find more of them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1245 on: February 18, 2022, 08:17:38 PM »
It’s only available in the 8.38 Manderson Shape and will have a sticker on it that specifies it’s his shape. I don’t think it’s actually 8.38

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1246 on: February 18, 2022, 10:11:24 PM »
Expand Quote

For reference, here are the two to compare, both the same length and wheelbase, almost the same width, but significantly different when you see the tops of the normal 8.4 board and then the 8.38 Manderson shape:

8.4 (normal shape)

8.38 Manderson shape

[close]

Wow, I never knew the 8.3 Manderson was shaped, and ike that. That's my go to type of shape. Shame the WB is so big; I take it they don't use that shape on the 8.25" Manderson?

The 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb (same dimensions as the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb but totally different shape) is most likely more like 8.5 in width, as are most of the other 8.38 DLX boards, not the same as the 8.3 DLX boards including the twin Ishod / Worrest shape, which is more like 8.25 with a hair extra.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1247 on: February 18, 2022, 10:12:41 PM »
I got that shape after seeing it in this thread. It’s too good. Hopefully I can find more of them.

I am guessing they will bring out one every drop or every second drop as it is his shape that he rides and people seem to like it too, which always helps, but as per everything I like, I do try to stock up a bit more on something that I don't know how many more I am likely to find.

Edit:

There were three from this last year (2021) in the two below and the "Rich people's drama" deck that was from the first drop for 2021, still showing on their catalog.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2021/

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring21/kr-sp20-d1-del1-05.jpg

I thought I had put up too many pics already below, and just added to this post now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 10:30:19 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1248 on: February 18, 2022, 10:13:00 PM »
It’s only available in the 8.38 Manderson Shape and will have a sticker on it that specifies it’s his shape. I don’t think it’s actually 8.38

Exactly  :)

Edit:

@Xen Manderson shape as said above - not to be confused with any other board that has his name on it just to have a rotation of sizes and pro team names, as per pics below, first one "Simplicity" his special shape, second one "Jigsaw" is just a generic 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5 normal board, third one "Elsewhere" just another normal 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb board and not a special shape.  Last one is his special shape although it doesn't have a sticker showing or anything, but it was from a while back and does have the shorter length and wheelbase (and was the same rounded / blunt look in shop pics) for the "Gone fishin" graphic.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 10:26:26 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1249 on: February 25, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »

Adding this one here as well.

The new shorter eagle deck 8.5 x 31.75 with 14 wheelbase.

Has anyone skated the anti-hero team mis register eagle deck 8,5x31,75 14wb yet and can say something about the shape/kicks  ?

I didn't think they were actually out yet.

The pic of the board looks pretty much like a normal DLX shape, so I am thinking similar to the normal 8.5 only shorter.

Edit:

Had a look and sure enough quite a few places have them out now (didn't when I had checked the other day) but the best pic of the board is here:

https://super-duper-skateboards.myshopify.com/collections/boards/products/anti-hero-mis-register-eagle-8-5-short-and-wide-skateboard-deck-grip-included-ships-free-canada-wide-stains-vary

This one might be the best pic of the kicks:

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1250 on: March 02, 2022, 07:29:16 AM »
I’ve been skating the 8.25x14.38, which is slightly less preferable to the generic 8.38 BBS Killing Floor I had before. I am interested in the 8.38 Full SE and the Dreamer shape. How much steeper/different are the kicks on these?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1251 on: March 02, 2022, 07:38:52 AM »
I’ve been skating the 8.25x14.38, which is slightly less preferable to the generic 8.38 BBS Killing Floor I had before. I am interested in the 8.38 Full SE and the Dreamer shape. How much steeper/different are the kicks on these?

I assume you know about I, II, III, and IX? That's your kicks differential on all DLX decks.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1252 on: March 02, 2022, 08:14:59 AM »
Ya but some shapes are steeper and dramatically fuller i.e. the Manderson shape so I was curious since I’ve never had a DLX full shape of any sort.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1253 on: March 02, 2022, 08:33:45 AM »
Ya but some shapes are steeper and dramatically fuller i.e. the Manderson shape so I was curious since I’ve never had a DLX full shape of any sort.

I haven’t noticed a difference in steepness (aside from Roman numerals) across DLX decks. Shape, absolutely there are differences. The full shapes do indeed have a more “square” ish tail. If you are a DLX nerd, getting at least one full shape is worth doing just to see what they are like.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1254 on: March 02, 2022, 08:41:31 PM »

I feel like the shape and the steepness are not often combined and it is more just a luck of the draw, or as stated, which board press number is the one you have had.

From getting multiple boards of the same shape / graphic / run, I can definitely say that there are differences in the concave that do go beyond just the press number as well, eg one eagle with a I on it was more mellow than anything else I have had before, even compared to all the IV boards that I currently have, which also had some slightly different concaves between all of them.

That said, all 8.25 regular boards have felt steeper to me, even the IV pressed 8.25 regular boards have always felt steeper than the other 8.38 I pressed or different sizes all with IV, so that alone is a curious thing.  Given I have had a lot come through my hands for the shop and yes OCD crazy or whatever, I have had a stand on every single board, just to see how it feels.

The "Dreamer shape" is just the standard 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, regardless of what anyone else might say.  I asked from the DLXSF.COM site and that was the reply.  For me that is pretty much perfect for a slightly more nimble version than other BBS 8.5 boards I ride.

All of the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 Full and Full SE boards I have had are quite different in shape to the normal boards, but as I am still yet to see a Manderson deck in person, I cannot really compare them, but I would almost say that the 8.25 Full SE which is 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb, is the same everything except width as the 8.38 Manderson, big blunt kicks and a very full shape overall.

I had skated a few of the 8.38 Full and Full SE boards and liked them both, but when I couldn't get easy access to more, I went with the standard 8.38 as my main board.

It is interesting to hear how others have felt about different DLX boards as well, given in the grand scheme of things I have only had access to what would amount to a very small number overall, even if I may have had a few hundred come through my hands in the last year before the shop closed.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1255 on: March 02, 2022, 08:46:05 PM »

So the shapes are very much the same as the boards I posted here on the last page:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3734385#msg3734385

Putting two boards of 8.38 and IV stamp together, the normal 8.38 with 14.5 wb and the 8.38 Full SE with 14.38 wb, they are pretty much the same concave, with same angle of kicks (I don't have a gauge or measure thingy or phone app) but the Full SE is ever so slightly shorter in length between the kicks, so it sits a little more inside the 8.38 normal shape, which is interesting.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1256 on: March 02, 2022, 08:58:23 PM »
I agree that the 8.25s are steeper than the rest. I've owned several including Full, Full SE, slick bottoms, etc. All steeper than other DLX shapes regardless of the Roman numeral

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1257 on: March 02, 2022, 09:45:17 PM »
Man you guys are making me go bananas with these shapes I never heard of

Recently setup a krooked full 8.18 with the 14.38 wb and it was never my jazz those dimensions but that full shape really just makes it a whole different case

I love the full shape, so much I’m definitely dropping the retail $60/$70 for a deck when I find a manderson 8.25 or hopefully a full SE

anyone know other brands that have a full shape like dlx? I think my friend had an enjoi a similar shape but he’s not a nerd and doesn’t care but I tried out his board and it felt close like an 8.5 version of my krooked  full
yes

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1258 on: March 03, 2022, 04:20:45 AM »
Man you guys are making me go bananas with these shapes I never heard of

Recently setup a krooked full 8.18 with the 14.38 wb and it was never my jazz those dimensions but that full shape really just makes it a whole different case

I love the full shape, so much I’m definitely dropping the retail $60/$70 for a deck when I find a manderson 8.25 or hopefully a full SE

anyone know other brands that have a full shape like dlx? I think my friend had an enjoi a similar shape but he’s not a nerd and doesn’t care but I tried out his board and it felt close like an 8.5 version of my krooked  full

I used to love the 8.18 boards, but I haven't seen any for a while now.

That 8.18 Full shape was nice though.

Guessing that more people are just going for the 8 or the 8.25 sizes more so than 8.18 but they still have the 8.12 in a couple of shapes.

There are definitely some "Full" Dwindle boards out now.  One that a friend had was very squared off on both kicks, shorter wheelbase as per Dwindle but still the normal length - 8.5 x 32.1 with 14.25 wb when I looked it up.

Do those Quasi decks count?  WKND too, on those PS Stix short stubby shapes.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1259 on: March 03, 2022, 07:11:13 AM »
What I don’t get is how the Dreamer shape is different than a normal 8.38. My friend loves it but isn’t a nerd and doesn’t know this answer