Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233642 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1410 on: April 13, 2022, 08:45:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have an idea if they’re going to continue the Mason Silva 8.28 shape. Feel like every time DLX has come out with a short board I get really used to it, but they stop making it after a couple drops. Happened with the Kanfoush shaped boards too. Also interested if anyone one has suggestions for a similar shape between 8.25 and 8.5.
L: 31.7”
WB: 14.2”

An 8.38” would be perfect in those specs but beggars can’t be choosers and I wonder if it’s just a small minority of people who like boards this wide with shorter wheel base/ length?
[close]

It’s an old Julien Stranger shape so I’d think it stick around. Maybe not very drop but I doubt it’s going anywhere for good.

Prior to Mason using the board, you primarily saw them with Pfanners name on them (this was 6+years ago). Tho he had one (Beres too) in a semi-recent [last year] drop with Lance art; a gnarhunters guest board too.

Doomsayers used to make an 8.28, no clue if it was the same mold.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:18:23 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1411 on: April 13, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have an idea if they’re going to continue the Mason Silva 8.28 shape. Feel like every time DLX has come out with a short board I get really used to it, but they stop making it after a couple drops. Happened with the Kanfoush shaped boards too. Also interested if anyone one has suggestions for a similar shape between 8.25 and 8.5.

An 8.38” would be perfect in those specs but beggars can’t be choosers and I wonder if it’s just a small minority of people who like boards this wide with shorter wheel base/ length?
[close]

It’s an old Julien Stranger shape so I’d think it stick around. Maybe not very drop but I doubt it’s going anywhere for good.
[close]

Prior to Mason using the board, you primarily saw them with Pfanners name on them (this was 6+years ago). Tho he had one (Beres too) in a semi-recent [last year] drop with Lance are; a gnarhunters guest board too.

Had that doomsayers and the board was a banger, like one you remember for years after the fact. Then started hearing that they didn’t pay the video guys, or the artists, and I stopped buying their stuff. But damn that deck was sick.

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1412 on: April 14, 2022, 02:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Prior to Mason using the board, you primarily saw them with Pfanners name on them (this was 6+years ago). Tho he had one (Beres too) in a semi-recent [last year] drop with Lance are; a gnarhunters guest board too.

[close]

Had that doomsayers and the board was a banger, like one you remember for years after the fact. Then started hearing that they didn’t pay the video guys, or the artists, and I stopped buying their stuff. But damn that deck was sick.

That is such a bummer. I always thought Omar Salazar would be cool. But I heard that a lot over the years, so there must be some truth to it. Not a good look and a reason why I rather support Magenta for example.
IG: @flowterspace

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1413 on: April 14, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »

I think the one I had (might still have somewhere) is 8.28 x 32 with 14.25 wb, so it has a bit longer tail than a couple of the others which was why it was such a good board for me.

Just the size was a bit funny as I was mainly on 8.12 with an 8.5 as a big board alternative, so it didn't really fit in with what I was skating a whole lot at the time.

The other one was the 8.4 shovel that people were wanting, but I never had one of those.

The hardest thing with Doomsayers is being a smaller company, it seemed they couldn't get good quantities of BBS during the pandemic so had been on a number of different boards, from all over, some PS Stix, some pretty average boards with Made in China on them, some with Made in USA on them which were kind of weird to stand on and now some more with nothing on them besides graphic and even more weird shapes and feeling of concave.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1414 on: April 14, 2022, 05:28:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think the one I had (might still have somewhere) is 8.28 x 32 with 14.25 wb, so it has a bit longer tail than a couple of the others which was why it was such a good board for me.

Just the size was a bit funny as I was mainly on 8.12 with an 8.5 as a big board alternative, so it didn't really fit in with what I was skating a whole lot at the time.

The other one was the 8.4 shovel that people were wanting, but I never had one of those.

The hardest thing with Doomsayers is being a smaller company, it seemed they couldn't get good quantities of BBS during the pandemic so had been on a number of different boards, from all over, some PS Stix, some pretty average boards with Made in China on them, some with Made in USA on them which were kind of weird to stand on and now some more with nothing on them besides graphic and even more weird shapes and feeling of concave.

Sadly I was never able to find their 'double shovel'

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1415 on: April 14, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Was it a double or just shovel nose?  I recall the shovel nose, same as the Antihero Miorana deck in 8.4 which I saw a few of online still.  There was a wider double shovel in 8.58 or something though.

I also found the board I have, dimensions look about right:

https://www.slamcity.com/products/doom-sayers-8-28-club-becky-skateboard-deck

• Width 8.28”
• Length 32.25"
• Wheelbase 14.125"
• Concave Medium

* Reminds me more of the AWS decks, longer boards with shorter wheelbases, but this one is not squared off like those ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1416 on: April 14, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Was it a double or just shovel nose?  I recall the shovel nose, same as the Antihero Miorana deck in 8.4 which I saw a few of online still.  There was a wider double shovel in 8.58 or something though.

I also found the board I have, dimensions look about right:

https://www.slamcity.com/products/doom-sayers-8-28-club-becky-skateboard-deck

• Width 8.28”
• Length 32.25"
• Wheelbase 14.125"
• Concave Medium

* Reminds me more of the AWS decks, longer boards with shorter wheelbases, but this one is not squared off like those ones.

Double shovel, but no idea if it was symmetrical.

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/doom-sayers-858-double-shovel-snake-shake-skateboard-deck-black-8-4689936318527/

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1417 on: April 15, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/anti-hero-kanfoush-space-junk-8-25-skateboard-deck-multi_p155250?sort=new&view=manu&brand_id=103

Does anyone know, if that is a new shape from DLX?
I can't remember seeing these measurements before. These specs sound too good to be true but I don't trust online measurements.

14.25 wb
6.5 tail
7 nose

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1418 on: April 15, 2022, 10:50:09 AM »
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/anti-hero-kanfoush-space-junk-8-25-skateboard-deck-multi_p155250?sort=new&view=manu&brand_id=103

I can't remember seeing these measurements before. These specs sound too good to be true but I don't trust online measurements.

14.25 wb
6.5 tail
7 nose

Not sure where they got those measurements from,  but that deck is the standard DLX 8.25 x 32 - 14.38

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1419 on: April 15, 2022, 10:52:35 AM »

14.25 wb
6.5 tail
7 nose

Well, Antihero lists it with a 14,38" WB and 32" length...
https://www.antiheroskateboards.com

...Oh Drunk Ass beat me!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1420 on: April 15, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »
I always found the DLX 8.25 decks a bit shorter as 32". More like 31.9". Yes, I have the madness and I recognize 5mm difference on my decks, trucks and wheels.

Indy 139 and 144 I totally feel that difference for example.

Anyway, back to the topic, Gerwer got the 8.4 deck this time. I know a few people here love that shape.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1421 on: April 16, 2022, 04:16:06 AM »
I always found the DLX 8.25 decks a bit shorter as 32". More like 31.9". Yes, I have the madness and I recognize 5mm difference on my decks, trucks and wheels.

Indy 139 and 144 I totally feel that difference for example.

Anyway, back to the topic, Gerwer got the 8.4 deck this time. I know a few people here love that shape.

I feel like the 8.4 shape (that stays straight through the middle and is nicer with the size of kicks) is much better than the usual 8.5 that is more like 8.3 and tapers a lot towards the tail, but that is just me.

Still have a couple in a box if I ever want to get back on a shorter wheelbase again, but for now the DLX 8.38 and other BBS 8.5 boards are keeping me happy, both with 14.5 wb.

* I also felt a huge difference between 139s and 144 when I was on the black eagle 8.12 boards, riding 139s for a long time but switching it up when the 144s came in around 2017, but now it is 149 on 8.38 which is pretty much my easy setup til I am done.  Always keep at least one or more setup with 139s and one with 144s on it though to have a bit of fun on occasionally.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1422 on: April 16, 2022, 07:47:31 AM »
For some reason I wasn’t as stoked on the 8.4, but I’d consider it again for sure.

The 8.38 feels pretty nimble so far. Interested to see how it continues to go. As far as shapes are concerned I could ride that or the 8.25 happily for a long time with no issues.

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #1423 on: April 18, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »

Drehobl board with adjustable 14.25"/14.75" wheelbase

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1424 on: April 18, 2022, 03:08:07 PM »
looking for a 8.5w and 31.85 length and 14.25wb

what are the dimensions on the 8.4 Gerwer mentioned above?
hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1425 on: April 18, 2022, 03:14:33 PM »

The dimensions you just mentioned are the navy blue eagle (I think), and also the crail G039.

**since the pandemic started, I’ve noticed this shape, navy blue, being used on Krookeds as well.
Baker has some boards in about that size, but their shapes are different (I like em, the OGs, but some don’t like the pointy).

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #1426 on: April 18, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The dimensions you just mentioned are the navy blue eagle (I think), and also the crail G039.

**since the pandemic started, I’ve noticed this shape, navy blue, being used on Krookeds as well.
Baker has some boards in about that size, but their shapes are different (I like em, the OGs, but some don’t like the pointy).
I have a Cardiel 8.4 from a couple seasons ago. It's 32" long with 14.25" wheelbase. I can't find my tape measure, but hopefully someone else can be more of help.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1427 on: April 18, 2022, 07:03:00 PM »
The 8.4 has a 6 5/8" tail and 7 1/8" nose

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1428 on: April 18, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That 8.5 shape has always been used by antihero, krooked, and real even before the pandemic. Unity/there are also now using it as they are under dlx.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1429 on: April 19, 2022, 08:24:31 AM »

This shape looks perfect. Gotta Google that deck now. Thanks.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1430 on: April 19, 2022, 10:09:49 AM »
The 8.4 has a 6 5/8" tail and 7 1/8" nose

whoa.  great intel.  thanks and gnar'd
hardly art, hardly starving

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1431 on: April 19, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it’s the same Drehobl shape that’s been around for years, it’s a great shape. Feels very functional. It tapers quite a bit. About 8.5” above the back trucks I think. Tail is short but works nicely. I’ve had one as a cruiser for a long time. Been meaning to skate it as a normal board for ages but haven’t for some reason.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1432 on: April 19, 2022, 06:54:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If it’s the same Drehobl shape that’s been around for years, it’s a great shape. Feels very functional. It tapers quite a bit. About 8.5” above the back trucks I think. Tail is short but works nicely. I’ve had one as a cruiser for a long time. Been meaning to skate it as a normal board for ages but haven’t for some reason.

Yes, same shape that was out before, just a new graphic.

I think I had a stand on that shape once or twice, but left it as I had others I was more into at the time, but as you said, shorter tails are not my thing either, so that might have been why I didn't ever set one up.

One site has them as this:

Width (inches)   9.25
Length (inches)   31.8
Wheelbase (inches)   14.25 – 14.75

* Definitely not 9.81 wide as it has on SPOT site though.

https://skateparkoftampa.com/product/90476/Krooked_Assorted_Woodgrain_Dan_Drehobl_Crescent_Shaped_Deck/&CID=11001

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1433 on: April 21, 2022, 06:51:47 AM »

Krooked catalog for Spring 2022 is up.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2022

I am curious to see that 9 x 33 with 15 wb shaped board with the Team Eyes graphic in person, not that I need anything else.

I know others have had it on here and it looked like fun.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1434 on: April 21, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »

I am curious to see that 9 x 33 with 15 wb shaped board with the Team Eyes graphic in person, not that I need anything else.

So that Mermaid 9.81 is a different one and not the Drehobl Shape?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1435 on: April 21, 2022, 10:45:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 9.81 is most commonly known as the Sweatpants shape and it is different than the Drehobl shape which is called Dan's Rig. There's been a Sweatpants in pretty much every drop for the past few years and usually it has the Sweatpants graphic on it but as you can see not always.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1436 on: April 21, 2022, 10:47:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Edit: @jakeumms beat me to it. 

Correct.  Mermaid is the Sweatpants shape. Drehobl is different.

Enjoy your life.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1437 on: April 21, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
I like the dan's rig shape, haven't totally killed mine off yet b/c I haven't seen any in a minute.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1438 on: April 23, 2022, 02:13:10 AM »

Copied from the Big Boards thread:

Thank you Sonny Paluso!

Just got a Beach Bummer today. Reminds me a lot of my old Slave War Pig, which I loved. For anyone interested on dimensions (measured flat with cloth tape measure) ...

T: 6.75
N: 6.0
WB: 14.6
Front truck width at middle of bolt pattern: 9.5ish
Rear truck " "... " : 9.0ish

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #1439 on: April 23, 2022, 09:19:04 AM »

Very nice. Looks like a lot of fun. Made me think of this image from a couple years ago

Copied from the Big Boards thread:

Thank you Sonny Paluso!

Expand Quote

[close]

Just got a Beach Bummer today. Reminds me a lot of my old Slave War Pig, which I loved. For anyone interested on dimensions (measured flat with cloth tape measure) ...

T: 6.75
N: 6.0
WB: 14.6
Front truck width at middle of bolt pattern: 9.5ish
Rear truck " "... " : 9.0ish