Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 229688 times)

Kaezan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1560 on: August 11, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »
Expand Quote
This is a really dumb question but... all DXL brands are made with the same wood right? I've always assumed this but I don't think I've ever confirmed it, so excuse my stupidness...
[close]

Yes, BBS/Generator (as far as we know).

For as long as I can remember, all DLX boards have been BBS but in saying that there are definite differences between the pro boards and the other boards, be it the pricepoint options or even some other BBS / in between boards.

I had a pretty in depth look at (and skate of) all the options and although for me, they still performed as usual (maybe a little more flexi on the pricepoint versions), the pricepoint boards have definitely not lasted half as long as the pro boards for other people I know.

Sorry for posting this again - pretty sure I posted it a while back - but at least even just the pics show the wood options.

Different grades of wood (June 2021)

Here are three boards, all from the same manufacturer, distributor, and all three are different. On the left is the AH eagle on pro wood with a I stamp on top, two top colours and one bottom colour ply stain, in the middle is a price point that looks fairly consistent with the majority of the other brand boards that come from the woodshop, one top ply stained with no markings and the rest natural, then on the right is the price point with all natural wood and a II stamp on top.

To stand on them, they all feel about the same, decent concave, a little flex in the kicks but not that much, so what would seem fairly standard, only the pro board is significantly more expensive than the price point boards.

Others have said they had unfortunate experiences with price points and I have seen first hand one board from a while back in two pieces from the first session, but also thinking on that, I have other pro wood boards that didn't last much longer, so to say price point wood is rubbish is not exactly true and it comes down to how the person landed on the board, more so than the wood quality.

If you are lighter and don't break boards, then the price point wood should hold up just fine for you and give you a cheaper setup, but if you break boards a lot, maybe the pro wood might hold up a bit better for you, but who knows.

All three are being used now, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up and what the results will be, if any, but I know I found the price points I bought and have skated to be good solid boards with no issues.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQNdT4pFwum/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1561 on: August 11, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
I'm on my 3rd Manderson deck right now. Really digging it, I think this is my go to shape for now.

I really like the steep concave, blunt kicks, and the big kinda square nose.

I've had I, III, and currently on a IV, which is still pretty steep.

I've ran indys and aces on the Manderson and I've been preferring aces lately for sure. I don't really get that dead pop that some boards get with aces.

Been wanting to get a pair of 44 classics for the flush fit. I've been running 144s and af1 44s on it.

Also, manuals and nose mannys work way better for me with this shape, I think it's the steeper concave.

Flatground feels noticeably better too

So whats the difference between the Manderson and a Full? (Or is the Manderson more similar to Full SE?)
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #1562 on: August 11, 2022, 09:42:11 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm on my 3rd Manderson deck right now. Really digging it, I think this is my go to shape for now.

I've ran indys and aces on the Manderson and I've been preferring aces lately for sure. I don't really get that dead pop that some boards get with aces.

Been wanting to get a pair of 44 classics for the flush fit. I've been running 144s and af1 44s on it.

Also, manuals and nose mannys work way better for me with this shape, I think it's the steeper concave.

[close]

So whats the difference between the Manderson and a Full? (Or is the Manderson more similar to Full SE?)

I've never tried a Full, but plan to get an 8.5" Full SE next time I go to the shop. I like keeping two set ups to alternate between.
I'm sure someone else can compare the two, but from looking at the dimensions it looks like the 8.38" Full has a longer wheelbase and length than Manderson. The Full SE is also longer for both.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1563 on: August 11, 2022, 10:00:22 PM »
Spec wise it is closer to a full se as it has the shorter WB.

Shape wise, it’s more square than the rest of the dlx offerings, even the fulls.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1564 on: August 11, 2022, 10:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Manderson is slightly wider at a true 8.4 and a bit more square. The nose is a tad longer as well. Tail is same length but more square on the Mando. Those 2 factors combined make it look much more blunt and full .

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1565 on: August 11, 2022, 10:13:36 PM »
Ah thanks guys. The Manderson sounds nice. I'm currently on my first Full SE and enjoying it for the most part. Sounds like I would like the Manderson even better.

Probably won't be buying a deck for quite a while, so hopefully they are still making them when the time comes.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #1566 on: August 11, 2022, 10:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Manderson is slightly wider at a true 8.4 and a bit more square. The nose is a tad longer as well. Tail is same length but more square on the Mando. Those 2 factors combined make it look much more blunt and full .

Difference between the DLX 8.4x32 and Manderson then? Ben Degros said the Manderson is slightly shorter than 32" in his last vid. Any other difference that you know of?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1567 on: August 11, 2022, 10:34:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Difference between the DLX 8.4x32 and Manderson then? Ben Degros said the Manderson is slightly shorter than 32" in his last vid. Any other difference that you know of?

The two board tops on the last page are pretty good to compare:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3843396#msg3843396

I have a few of the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb and they really feel like a perfect width size up from the 8.125 black eagle which I had a lot of over the last decade and a half.  The shape is way more normal, rounder and almost pointy without being too pointy, but I think they would have to be almost the same size kicks, as all other dimensions are the same from other websites that list both the boards.

*  The images are huge, so I dropped the scale here.  Click on them for the full size as needed.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/anderson-1772-838-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.38
WIDTH (IN):   8.38
LENGTH (IN):   32.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.625

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/daan-broadcasting-iii-84-skateboard-deck/blue

SPECS
SIZE   8.4
WIDTH (IN):   8.4
NOSE (IN):   7.06

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1568 on: August 11, 2022, 10:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a few of the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb and they really feel like a perfect width size up from the 8.125 black eagle which I had a lot of over the last decade and a half.  The shape is way more normal, rounder and almost pointy without being too pointy, but I think they would have to be almost the same size kicks, as all other dimensions are the same from other websites that list both the boards.

*  The images are huge, so I dropped the scale here.  Click on them for the full size as needed.

SPECS
SIZE   8.38

SPECS
SIZE   8.4

You're the best, thanks for the comparison. Yeah that Manderson shape looks nice. Hopefully they've got some good graphics to boot.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1569 on: August 13, 2022, 07:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

SPECS
SIZE   8.38

SPECS
SIZE   8.4

[close]

You're the best, thanks for the comparison. Yeah that Manderson shape looks nice. Hopefully they've got some good graphics to boot.

Current run. Pretty run-of-the-mill krooked/current industry. Not the worst, not the best:

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1570 on: August 13, 2022, 07:31:19 PM »
I think this is a new shape? I could be mistaken I just hadn’t seen it before. Definitely curious about the tail and nose measurements. Looks like a shape with weird dimensions that might weirdly work. Second slide has dimensions. 8.5 x 32.6 14.69 wb

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChAmauRP9cZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1571 on: August 13, 2022, 07:53:32 PM »
I think this is a new shape? I could be mistaken I just hadn’t seen it before. Definitely curious about the tail and nose measurements. Looks like a shape with weird dimensions that might weirdly work. Second slide has dimensions. 8.5 x 32.6 14.69 wb

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChAmauRP9cZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.

I was eyeing the:

8.3 x 32.17x 14.39 (but I doubt it's a true 8.3 plus it's a bit long for my taste

https://www.thereskateboards.com/product-page/ways-james-pitonyak-8-3

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:21:05 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1572 on: August 13, 2022, 08:22:02 PM »

That sure is a solid ride, almost a vert board for some people, who were after those dimensions, but for bigger dudes who want longer wheelbase boards, that would work really well and reminds me of the other DLX board in 8.5 with 14.75 wb and 32.5 length, of which I have had a few.

I thought it could have been a Metal Skateboards guest deck with that graphic too, but it sure is out there.

*  Also wondering if they did that wheelbase just to be funny, the 14.69 instead of 14.7 or any other more normal number.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1573 on: August 13, 2022, 08:34:13 PM »
I'm imagining it's the 8.5x14.75x32.5 but with fudged numbers just to troll all of us.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1574 on: August 13, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »
Isn't it just the 8.5 Full?

I've tried a Krooked 8.38/14.5 on Thunders so far and it feels sorta anemic pop wise so I couldn't imagine riding 14.7 on Ventures.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1575 on: August 16, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »
I helped someone setup a DLX 8.25 deck the other day they had bought, but needed everything else.

Funny thing is that 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb is a wider board, this one no exception, the dude thinking it was 8.5 as per what he was told in the shop he got it.  We measured it and everything else lined up like 32 length and 14.38 wheelbase but the overall width in any area over bolts, middle, etc was 8 and 6/16ths (3/8ths) so that is just another "normal" for me but a big surprise for him.

We put 149s on it and they fit fine, no overhang and it definitely felt a lot wider than another brand, but true 8.25 deck there at the same session when we had a roll on both of them, but was still a lot more nimble than an old 8.5 he was riding before that, so he was actually more stoked on that board than he first thought.

Funny how things work.

It was the Grimple Sticks Evan Smith Guest board, in case anyone else was wondering, so not absolute freshest drop by any means, but still available here in Australia, pics as per this post I looked up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKxoE0F_qB/

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1576 on: August 16, 2022, 10:11:21 PM »
I helped someone setup a DLX 8.25 deck the other day they had bought, but needed everything else.

Funny thing is that 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb is a wider board, this one no exception, the dude thinking it was 8.5 as per what he was told in the shop he got it.  We measured it and everything else lined up like 32 length and 14.38 wheelbase but the overall width in any area over bolts, middle, etc was 8 and 6/16ths (3/8ths) so that is just another "normal" for me but a big surprise for him.

We put 149s on it and they fit fine, no overhang and it definitely felt a lot wider than another brand, but true 8.25 deck there at the same session when we had a roll on both of them, but was still a lot more nimble than an old 8.5 he was riding before that, so he was actually more stoked on that board than he first thought.

Funny how things work.

It was the Grimple Sticks Evan Smith Guest board, in case anyone else was wondering, so not absolute freshest drop by any means, but still available here in Australia, pics as per this post I looked up:

I would argue that I've had more DLX 8.25/14.38 decks than most people on this forum; it's basically the only shape I've ridden for....years, at this point. I've measured every single one I've ever set up. The dimensions have been rock solid. These are what they've always come out to for me [all measurements done with straight ruler/do not account for bends in wood (e.g. concave, kicks, etc.)]

Length: 31.75"
Width: 8.25"
WB: 14.38"
Nose: 6.81"
Tail: 6.5"

And yes, you can set the 8.25" up with 149s/8.5 trucks. If you do, most wheels will be flush at side of deck, with slight overhang of axles. With 144s/8.25 trucks, the axles are flush, and edge of wheel sits slightly inside of deck. I've tried both, and I prefer 144s (with Spit classics). The 149s give you a bit more stability, but feel a little clunky. 144s make things flip a little better, and everything feels more agile, at least to me.

IMHO, the 8.25"/14.38 is the best shape DLX makes, and possibly the best deck ever made in the history of skateboarding. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1577 on: August 17, 2022, 07:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote

Funny how things work.

[close]

I would argue that I've had more DLX 8.25/14.38 decks than most people on this forum; it's basically the only shape I've ridden for....years, at this point. I've measured every single one I've ever set up. The dimensions have been rock solid. These are what they've always come out to for me [all measurements done with straight ruler/do not account for bends in wood (e.g. concave, kicks, etc.)]

Length: 31.75"
Width: 8.25"
WB: 14.38"
Nose: 6.81"
Tail: 6.5"

And yes, you can set the 8.25" up with 149s/8.5 trucks. If you do, most wheels will be flush at side of deck, with slight overhang of axles. With 144s/8.25 trucks, the axles are flush, and edge of wheel sits slightly inside of deck. I've tried both, and I prefer 144s (with Spit classics). The 149s give you a bit more stability, but feel a little clunky. 144s make things flip a little better, and everything feels more agile, at least to me.

IMHO, the 8.25"/14.38 is the best shape DLX makes, and possibly the best deck ever made in the history of skateboarding.

This man claims this when the Grimple nighthammer exists smdh

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1578 on: August 17, 2022, 10:16:12 AM »

Re DLX 8.25s

They sure are a good solid "middle of the road" board, if you like the dimensions.

Everybody can make up their own minds on what they prefer, but I think it has often been said in the past that the DLX 8.25 is the most common board in their whole range, from their pro guys to regular skaters of all skill levels.  It is definitely one a lot of people choose to skate who I know.

Having a regular supply of modern 8.25 wide trucks really helped though, but before that it was a bit weird, some riding current trucks in 8" and others 8.5" wide trucks, if you couldn't get hold of the older Indy 146 or similar width trucks from the 90s, then 144s from 2017.

@Sedition I know you have said the 8.25 with 144s and Classic 53mm is your go to, which is a nice ride, when I set one up to see what it felt like.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1579 on: August 17, 2022, 10:20:54 AM »

Re DLX 8.25s

They sure are a good solid "middle of the road" board, if you like the dimensions.

Everybody can make up their own minds on what they prefer, but I think it has often been said in the past that the DLX 8.25 is the most common board in their whole range, from their pro guys to regular skaters of all skill levels.  It is definitely one a lot of people choose to skate who I know.

Having a regular supply of modern 8.25 wide trucks really helped though, but before that it was a bit weird, some riding current trucks in 8" and others 8.5" wide trucks, if you couldn't get hold of the older Indy 146 or similar width trucks from the 90s, then 144s from 2017.

@Sedition I know you have said the 8.25 with 144s and Classic 53mm is your go to, which is a nice ride, when I set one up to see what it felt like.

Yup, I rode 149s before 144s came out. It was...well, I like 144s better. :)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1580 on: August 17, 2022, 10:21:35 AM »
This man claims this when the Grimple nighthammer exists smdh

A valid point.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1581 on: August 17, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »
Picked up one of the new Manderson 8.38"s at the shop yesterday. Not my favorite graphic but not mad at it either.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Krooked_Manderson_Mucury_Deck/descpage-KKAMUC83DK.html

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #1582 on: August 17, 2022, 11:53:02 AM »
What shape is that AH/Supreme 9.12" deck?  I'm not gonna go to the trouble of tracking down a Supreme product, but I'm curious if that shape is used on any other decks.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1583 on: August 17, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »
What shape is that AH/Supreme 9.12" deck?  I'm not gonna go to the trouble of tracking down a Supreme product, but I'm curious if that shape is used on any other decks.

I think it's a standard BBS shape. The Primitive Franky egg might be the same or really similar.....

Wait, what's that? Is that....... @Mbrimson88 's music I hear????? BAH GAWD

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: August 17, 2022, 01:09:25 PM »
Picked up one of the new Manderson 8.38"s at the shop yesterday. Not my favorite graphic but not mad at it either.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Krooked_Manderson_Mucury_Deck/descpage-KKAMUC83DK.html

It'd be aight if it wasn't baby diarrhea yellow...hopefully it's brighter in person. Most Krooked drops this year have been pretty 'meh' graphically. Not great, but could be worse.

The color choices tho, just drab. Nothing pops but the flower graphic on team:logo boards.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 03:22:40 PM by Xen »

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1585 on: August 17, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's a standard BBS shape. The Primitive Franky egg might be the same or really similar.....

Definitely similar to the Primitive Franky egg, but not quite the same.
9.1 x 32 - 14.5
Was most recently run on the Krooked Alternate Moonsmile deck in their Summer release

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1586 on: August 17, 2022, 06:35:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha yeah, I will let someone else who knows it take that one, but I think I have been on a product info binge and posting a little too much of late.

Gotta take a time out every now and then!

:)

Edit:

Definitely similar to the Primitive Franky egg, but not quite the same.
9.1 x 32 - 14.5
Was most recently run on the Krooked Alternate Moonsmile deck in their Summer release

Glad someone knows!!!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 06:45:40 PM by Mbrimson88 »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1587 on: August 17, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »

I’m sure someone’s gonna have questions about this eventually. Grosso longer shape. 9 1/4x34.5ish 15/15.5” WB (slightly different specs from the sticker). For length comparison is a DLX 8.25x32
fuck you bama

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1588 on: August 17, 2022, 09:52:48 PM »

I’m sure someone’s gonna have questions about this eventually. Grosso longer shape. 9 1/4x34.5ish 15/15.5” WB (slightly different specs from the sticker). For length comparison is a DLX 8.25x32

You from Boston?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1589 on: August 17, 2022, 10:05:13 PM »
Yeah but I’ve lived in Los Angeles for the past 6.5 years. Orchard had been my local shop since Coliseum closed. One of the guys that run Nowhere Fast is also one of my good friends
fuck you bama