Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225700 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1800 on: January 20, 2023, 05:38:04 AM »
I absolutely do not need a new board, but man I wanna try one of these True Fits.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1801 on: January 22, 2023, 06:21:03 PM »
I'm probably fine just skating the cream eagle shape from here on out but that original 8.5 full shape with the longer wheelbase was so good...only ever got to skate one

wheee!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1802 on: January 22, 2023, 06:54:13 PM »

Who was keen on the Black Widow shape?

8.5 x 31.7 with 14.2 wb that some people described as a mini Huffer.

There is one in the new catalog.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2023/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1803 on: January 22, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »
Part of me really wants to try that Green Giant, but I'm not super keen on the graphic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1804 on: January 22, 2023, 07:20:48 PM »
Part of me really wants to try that Green Giant, but I'm not super keen on the graphic.

Gone in 10 boardslides or 10min of steel wool and elbow grease before you slap rails on it.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1805 on: January 22, 2023, 07:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gone in 10 boardslides or 10min of steel wool and elbow grease before you slap rails on it.

Oh, for sure. The graphic won't dissuade me if I really end up wanting to grab one. I've been skating back-to-back Huffers, though, and I'm having a hard time finding a reason not to just continue that route. haha.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1806 on: January 22, 2023, 08:33:35 PM »
Is it just me or did AH decks used to have more concave than they do now?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #1807 on: January 23, 2023, 10:43:39 AM »

I had the green Green Giant and I can't explain why but it's the heaviest feeling set up I've ever had.  It's probably the wheelbase but it just felt sluggish and it was a chore to skate it.  And I like wide boards.

It's my cruiser now and excels at that.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1808 on: January 23, 2023, 11:04:09 AM »
Is it just me or did AH decks used to have more concave than they do now?

Appreciate that perspective!

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #1809 on: January 23, 2023, 12:27:39 PM »

That Russo ‘Lusso’ has my name all over it.

Also that true mold Curbsicle might be the one to get me to check out the whole true mold thing

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 285
  • often correct
« Reply #1810 on: January 23, 2023, 01:02:15 PM »
can one of you nerds (non-derogatory) break down the differences between krooked's regular 8.25 x 32 shape (14.38 wheelbase) and the manderson shape? i'm mostly looking for something with a 14.25 wheelbase that's a little bigger than the 8.25 shape but i'm afraid the nose and tail will be too much to get used to
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:15:22 PM by Ignatius J Reilly »

mindfuzz

• Rep: 33
« Reply #1811 on: January 23, 2023, 01:06:53 PM »
Manderson is 8.38 and has a fuller nose.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1812 on: January 23, 2023, 01:38:49 PM »
 :-*
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the green Green Giant and I can't explain why but it's the heaviest feeling set up I've ever had.  It's probably the wheelbase but it just felt sluggish and it was a chore to skate it.  And I like wide boards.

It's my cruiser now and excels at that.

Well it has giant in the name and is almost 33" long with a wheelbase bigger than an actual mega ramp board and a width of over 9" so that might make sense.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1813 on: January 24, 2023, 05:14:00 AM »
can one of you nerds (non-derogatory) break down the differences between krooked's regular 8.25 x 32 shape (14.38 wheelbase) and the manderson shape? i'm mostly looking for something with a 14.25 wheelbase that's a little bigger than the 8.25 shape but i'm afraid the nose and tail will be too much to get used to

The 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb is used across all DLX brands and was at one point the most common board of all in the whole range.  It is often described as the best of everything and pairs well with whatever trucks, but that is down to personal opinion more than anything.

I think people have said the Manderson shape - 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb is closer to 8.5 and very squared in shape.

One you might like to look for is the generic DLX shape 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb, most commonly used on Antihero decks, but occasionally on other DLX boards too.  It is definitely less than the 8.5 and even less than the usual 8.38 boards, of which I have a lot of, being my usual go to nowdays.  I skated a few of the 8.4 boards when I went up from the 8.125, which also had 32 length and 14.25 wb, so it was a good in between for me.

To look at the 8.25 Full SE, which is also 32 long with 14.25 wb, you might find that one nice as well, but may be a little harder to get than some, eg two currently out from DLX catalogs, but sometimes there are no new ones in any drops for that period.

Lastly, the 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb is anything but 8.5 wide, as many people have pointed out, so if you did want a bit wider board with a 14.25 wb, see if you can find one of these and compare it to whatever else there is in 8.25 in the same shop and you might even be surprised that it might work better than you think.

Comparison of Manderson and 8.4 shapes here in this post from a while back in this thread too (page 53):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3844226;topicseen#msg3844226

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1814 on: January 24, 2023, 05:43:12 AM »

Thou shall not Ollie into a grind on a curb.
Thou shall always smash the front truck first

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1815 on: January 24, 2023, 08:59:02 AM »

I’m getting couple because of how much I love this shape even though I don’t need any new decks. It’s one of the only shaped decks that I’d skate as my main setup. It’s a good 360 flip board
fuck you bama

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #1816 on: January 24, 2023, 09:50:03 AM »

Man I hate all these curb themed graphics, and that's coming from someone that has worn multiple sets of trucks to the axle doing mostly slappies. The newest Heroin drop also seems to lean heavily into the whole curb skater thing and it just feels oversaturated right now.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #1817 on: January 24, 2023, 10:33:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think people have said the Manderson shape - 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb is closer to 8.5 and very squared in shape.
thanks for all that! this is where i'm getting hung up - what do you mean by "closer to 8.5"? is it measured including the concave or something? does the squared off shape just make it look bigger?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1818 on: January 24, 2023, 05:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
thanks for all that! this is where i'm getting hung up - what do you mean by "closer to 8.5"? is it measured including the concave or something? does the squared off shape just make it look bigger?

Some boards will come out at the exact dimensions listed, but others come out wider / different than listed, including the 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 which is more like 8.3 for other brands and the Manderson shape which is listed as 8.38 but is closer to 8.5 and seems like it is wider than the normal 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb (which runs small) at barely 8.45 at the shoulder down to 8.3 at the back end.

If you can find somewhere to go stand on them, or line them up, side by side, it is easier to see.  The difference is not that much really, maybe a single mm or two here or there, but there is still a difference.

I just got some more of the newer 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb and they are definitely not as wide as an old blue eagle I have had for more than ten years and my 8.38 boards are definitely even at the shoulder and wider than them towards the tail too.

If you can't stand on any and have to buy online, get whatever you think might work, mostly based on wheelbase if that is the main thing and try any of those others, be it the short / blue eagle 8.5 (or whatever graphic is on the shape), the 8.4 or the Manderson shape, which is more like a Full SE than the other two in the blunt kicks.

Hope that helps and sorry for any confusion.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1819 on: January 25, 2023, 09:22:06 AM »

Is the 9" the same as the Orange Eagle? The nose looks a bit fuller than normal. Might be seeing things

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1820 on: January 25, 2023, 09:25:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is the 9" the same as the Orange Eagle? The nose looks a bit fuller than normal. Might be seeing things

Dims are the same. I toggled between the two and I think they're the same. But the more I look, the more I think the nose does look fuller. My brain might be playing tricks on me.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #1821 on: January 25, 2023, 09:31:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dims are the same. I toggled between the two and I think they're the same. But the more I look, the more I think the nose does look fuller. My brain might be playing tricks on me.
Confirmed same as Orange Eagle

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #1822 on: January 25, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Some boards will come out at the exact dimensions listed, but others come out wider / different than listed, including the 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 which is more like 8.3 for other brands and the Manderson shape which is listed as 8.38 but is closer to 8.5 and seems like it is wider than the normal 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb (which runs small) at barely 8.45 at the shoulder down to 8.3 at the back end.

If you can find somewhere to go stand on them, or line them up, side by side, it is easier to see.  The difference is not that much really, maybe a single mm or two here or there, but there is still a difference.

I just got some more of the newer 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb and they are definitely not as wide as an old blue eagle I have had for more than ten years and my 8.38 boards are definitely even at the shoulder and wider than them towards the tail too.

If you can't stand on any and have to buy online, get whatever you think might work, mostly based on wheelbase if that is the main thing and try any of those others, be it the short / blue eagle 8.5 (or whatever graphic is on the shape), the 8.4 or the Manderson shape, which is more like a Full SE than the other two in the blunt kicks.

super helpful! for what it's worth, i think PS stix measures their boards including concave and dlx measures theirs without, which might explain the discrepancy between some sizes. i stood on the new krooked 8.5 shape at the shop and was surprised by how small it felt (i'm used to the 8.25 size) so i might end up going with that one, but it seems like both are great options. thanks!

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1823 on: January 25, 2023, 10:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
super helpful! for what it's worth, i think PS stix measures their boards including concave and dlx measures theirs without, which might explain the discrepancy between some sizes. i stood on the new krooked 8.5 shape at the shop and was surprised by how small it felt (i'm used to the 8.25 size) so i might end up going with that one, but it seems like both are great options. thanks!

This is correct. PS measures surface length and most other woodshops measure tip to tip straight across.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #1824 on: January 25, 2023, 10:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This is correct. PS measures surface length and most other woodshops measure tip to tip straight across.

yup, surface area.if they input the dimension's data into the CAD software, my guess it would be the length of the board tip to tip. then factor in the angle of the kicks, concave and wheelbase. i might be wrong though. just my guess.

IpathCats

« Reply #1825 on: January 26, 2023, 07:00:02 AM »
I REALLY wish DLX would make something with a 14.75 - 15in wb and 8.3 - 8.4in wide. My long and slender body craves a long and slender board.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1826 on: January 26, 2023, 09:06:51 AM »
I REALLY wish DLX would make something with a 14.75 - 15in wb and 8.3 - 8.4in wide. My long and slender body craves a long and slender board.

They have an 8.5 14.75 that drops from time to time. Most recently I think There used it on chandlers pro model. It’s a really good shape. As a fellow tall person I can confirm it’s great. Honestly want to get another one because I’ve never been able to ollie as high on shorter boards than I was able to on that one.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #1827 on: January 26, 2023, 09:18:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They have an 8.5 14.75 that drops from time to time. Most recently I think There used it on chandlers pro model. It’s a really good shape. As a fellow tall person I can confirm it’s great. Honestly want to get another one because I’ve never been able to ollie as high on shorter boards than I was able to on that one.
Not exactly 14.75 but really close. If you're looking for a longer WB on a 8.5 this one might be for you --- 8.5 x 32.6 x 14.69
 https://www.thereskateboards.com/product-page/night-garden-chandler-pro-8-5

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1828 on: January 26, 2023, 10:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Not exactly 14.75 but really close. If you're looking for a longer WB on a 8.5 this one might be for you --- 8.5 x 32.6 x 14.69

They have one that’s 14.75” too but I haven’t seen those in years. I had one Real deck in that shape and quite liked it.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1829 on: January 26, 2023, 11:10:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven’t measured it in person myself but I believe the common consensus is that this is the same shape, just put at 69 as a joke. Not sure if anyone can confirm or disprove this?