Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233439 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2100 on: October 13, 2023, 03:25:28 PM »
Normally like to ride a 3-4 when I get dlx decks. Wanted to try the 8.28 real again after a few decks and blind ordered one from holistic in reading. Came to my house in MD next day which was sick but was a 2 in the  press. Excited to get a session in but we are in the middle of a storm. Hopefully Tues or weds I can get out.

You can do the car tire trick to mellow it out but Im always concerned that will kill the pop prematurely.

In the future if you buy from holistic just hit JD up on insta or via email beforehand and he will happily check the stamps for you. He actually kept an eye out for IV stamped 8.28s after I asked him about one and hit me up like months later to tell me one had just come in. He's gone through stacks of boards looking for certain top stains too, and I got the impression he kinda enjoyed it haha. He's definitely a skate nerd and has sympathy for the madness sufferer... just one of those all around awesome shop owners.

Actually a lot of shops are cool about checking stamps for you. You might get some flack from like the ski/skate/wake emporium type places but core shops are usually super chill about it. They get it. The only exception I've ever had was one dude who started like arguing with me about what boards were steep and what ones weren't like the guy special requesting a specific stamp didn't already know what he likes. I won't publicly shame them, but they did try to imply that PS stix has no mellow molds because FA boards are steep. This was a solid year or two after they had gone fully to BBS. 

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #2101 on: October 13, 2023, 08:35:31 PM »
I'm not sure if there's an actual DLX warranty thread, but this one is close enough. Has anyone ever contacted DLX about a mislabeled board?

I went to my local to specifically buy a board with a 14" wb and got an Anti-Hero Austin Kanfoush board. The label says 8.12" x 31.38" x 14". I went to set up the board today and noticed that it was longer than my current board that has a 14.25" wb. I measured it and it's closer to 8.12" x 31.875" x 14.25".

Would this fall under the DLX warranty even though it's not technically defective? I'm pretty bummed It's not the right size and wouldn't have bought it if I knew. I usually measure boards myself before buying, but of course the one time I trust the sticker this happens...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2102 on: October 13, 2023, 11:50:50 PM »
I'm not sure if there's an actual DLX warranty thread, but this one is close enough. Has anyone ever contacted DLX about a mislabeled board?

I went to my local to specifically buy a board with a 14" wb and got an Anti-Hero Austin Kanfoush board. The label says 8.12" x 31.38" x 14". I went to set up the board today and noticed that it was longer than my current board that has a 14.25" wb. I measured it and it's closer to 8.12" x 31.875" x 14.25".

Would this fall under the DLX warranty even though it's not technically defective? I'm pretty bummed It's not the right size and wouldn't have bought it if I knew. I usually measure boards myself before buying, but of course the one time I trust the sticker this happens...

Not really a warranty thing, as it could be argued the board itself is made correctly and not faulty, whereas other boards that have defects, delamination or are warped will usually get attention and replacement.

I don't think that is covered as you didn't measure the board itself before setting up.

On the other hand, just reach out to DLX and explain what you got and they might be nice enough to help you in some way...

Leave it at that, but yes I have definitely seen some boards with incorrect size / dimension stickers on them.  It doesn't help that there are often a few of the same width, with different length and wb measurements.

That shorter 8.12 is not very common at all anymore, whereas the usual 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb is the most common one, being the black eagle shape, as well as quite a few I have seen recently, or maybe all of the 8.12 width boards that have come out in recent drops.

What board graphic did you get?  Either the brand and description or catalog name, eg Krooked Primate (Gottwig pro board)
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2103 on: October 13, 2023, 11:56:22 PM »

The Real red oval graphic is the only one I could find that is consistently released in the shorter 8.12 size, as per this pic below, unless I missed another board in any other catalog from 2023, but every other board was the longer one, looking back over old catalogs.

And these ones...  * unless they are the longer ones too, which has happened before, I have seen.

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2023/

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2104 on: October 14, 2023, 01:29:07 AM »

I only ride IV stamped decks. They can be hard to come by some times. So, any time I am near any shop that sells DLX decks, I will stop in and look to see what they have (I always keep a small stock pile of IV decks). My local "core" shop, Vans outlet stores, and even, yes Zumies. Over time I have noticed something rather interesting...at any "core" shop I've ever been in, I've never seen a "mis-labeled" DLX deck. However, I have seen it many times at Vans and Zumies. I've seen grey eagles with an 8.25/14.38 sticker on what was clearly the 8.38/14.5 shape. I've seen grey eagles on non-DLX shapes. I've seen tons of 8.5 Blue Eagles with a dot (.) instead of Roman Numeral. Some of the things I've seen are so weird/off the wall, I've actually been tempted to take photos and post them here. In any event, it's often made me wonder if non-core shops somehow get oddball stuff that wouldn't fly at a real shop. Anyone else have a similar experiences?

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2105 on: October 14, 2023, 03:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only ride IV stamped decks. They can be hard to come by some times. So, any time I am near any shop that sells DLX decks, I will stop in and look to see what they have (I always keep a small stock pile of IV decks). My local "core" shop, Vans outlet stores, and even, yes Zumies. Over time I have noticed something rather interesting...at any "core" shop I've ever been in, I've never seen a "mis-labeled" DLX deck. However, I have seen it many times at Vans and Zumies. I've seen grey eagles with an 8.25/14.38 sticker on what was clearly the 8.38/14.5 shape. I've seen grey eagles on non-DLX shapes. I've seen tons of 8.5 Blue Eagles with a dot (.) instead of Roman Numeral. Some of the things I've seen are so weird/off the wall, I've actually been tempted to take photos and post them here. In any event, it's often made me wonder if non-core shops somehow get oddball stuff that wouldn't fly at a real shop. Anyone else have a similar experiences?

The last couple of orange eagles I got didn't have any stamp, but still the same size, shape, concave, etc as the usual boards.  That was a while ago now, so maybe stock from the times that things went a bit weird.

Around that same time a couple of other pricepoint boards definitely were different shapes, dimensions that I came across, when compared to what they were supposed to be from the graphic and shape in the catalogs.

I think only one other board I saw was an 8.5 with the wrong sticker on it, can't remember if it was a blue eagle with the 32.18 and 14.38 wb sticker or something else, but I checked the shape and it was the shorter one, with the longer size sticker on it.

Other people have had similar stories in the past, though not that frequently to worry about, unlike the Indy ti axle issue, where I would not want to have any ti axle Indy trucks come through my hands now.

Guessing it might happen a bit more frequently for some products, or even some runs, if they just have to get quotas filled, especially for the really big orders that might go directly to the shops / mall chain warehouse.

I really don't know enough about that supply chain to give input.

Almost everything else it seems comes through the hands of someone in DLXSF location, no matter where it ends up, but as per the new stock coming out, it is going directly to the various countries to save on shipping costs, so this could have been the case for other stuff going to Zumiez or something.

southphillytapwater

« Reply #2106 on: October 14, 2023, 05:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not really a warranty thing, as it could be argued the board itself is made correctly and not faulty, whereas other boards that have defects, delamination or are warped will usually get attention and replacement.

I don't think that is covered as you didn't measure the board itself before setting up.

On the other hand, just reach out to DLX and explain what you got and they might be nice enough to help you in some way...

Leave it at that, but yes I have definitely seen some boards with incorrect size / dimension stickers on them.  It doesn't help that there are often a few of the same width, with different length and wb measurements.

That shorter 8.12 is not very common at all anymore, whereas the usual 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb is the most common one, being the black eagle shape, as well as quite a few I have seen recently, or maybe all of the 8.12 width boards that have come out in recent drops.

What board graphic did you get?  Either the brand and description or catalog name, eg Krooked Primate (Gottwig pro board)
It's the Motel 18 graphic, with the guy shitting behind a trolly.

I sent them an email. I feel like I'm shit out of luck because I already set it up, but I guess we'll see.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2107 on: October 14, 2023, 09:55:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It's the Motel 18 graphic, with the guy shitting behind a trolly.

I sent them an email. I feel like I'm shit out of luck because I already set it up, but I guess we'll see.

They aren't going to make you return it, they'll just send you a new one. Just take pics of the sticker and the tape measure for proof and attach them to your email. In my experience the hardest part is getting a response, but when they do respond it's usually just to ask what your address is. They sent me a free set of 147 standards when I inquired about buying one to match a single I had sitting around, so they're definitely cool but I feel like they might need to hire another person or two to handle the amount of requests I'm sure they get.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2108 on: October 14, 2023, 10:01:12 PM »
Why didn't you ask for a measuring tape? I feel that shape would be obviously shorter in appearance and, if you stood on it, in feel.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2109 on: October 15, 2023, 02:38:40 AM »
Do R1 real boards not get the Roman numeral stamp? My Guererro cruiser 9.25 I just set up didn't have it.

I've skated R1s years ago so I thought I'd remember or know, but wasn't sure, so I elicit Slap for help hahah

I'm positive it's still BBS but the lack of markings up there had me wondering
Super Champion Fun Zone

southphillytapwater

« Reply #2110 on: October 15, 2023, 07:49:13 AM »
Why didn't you ask for a measuring tape? I feel that shape would be obviously shorter in appearance and, if you stood on it, in feel.

I didn't have time to set it up in the shop, I was just trying to be in and out. I didn't even bring my board in with me. I figured that the most reputable brand in skateboarding would have accurate sizes printed on their products.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2111 on: October 15, 2023, 08:16:00 AM »
I figured that the most reputable brand in skateboarding would have accurate sizes printed on their products.

An absolutely fair assumption, too.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2112 on: October 15, 2023, 08:20:21 AM »
Do R1 real boards not get the Roman numeral stamp? My Guererro cruiser 9.25 I just set up didn't have it.

I've skated R1s years ago so I thought I'd remember or know, but wasn't sure, so I elicit Slap for help hahah

DLX was screwing around with different constructions some time back. They had that extra thick board, they had some rocker thing, and maybe one other? Basically any deck that was NOT one of those was an "R1" deck (e.g. the vast majority of decks they made). Since those other ones have gone away, the R1 concept is kind of moot. Essentially any deck you get from DLX now is an R1. To that end, all DLX (R1) decks are (usually) stamped.*

*However, note the odd-ball non-stamped I/others mentioned a few posts up.   

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2113 on: October 15, 2023, 08:20:59 AM »
I've noted this many times in this thread, but DLX decks and many brands actually don't truly measure what the sticker says.

A good example is the "8.5" Blue Eagle. It says 8.5x14.25, 31.9 when in reality it's always been an 8.38, 14.18, 31.75. The Manderson also has a 14.18 and doesn't measure a true 8.38. The DLX Black Eagle shape says 8.125x14.25 and the one I saw in the shop was 8.25x14.3.

In your case the shape was not remotely correct and that sucks. I didn't mean to come off like a dick, but I've had a few decks that were BBS generic shapes where they were the right graphic but not the right shape so I learned the hard way to always measure just in case so I'm not stuck with the wrong shit.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2114 on: October 15, 2023, 05:02:43 PM »

Yeah definitely still BBS.

The way I rationalise it is this:

Those boards that are marked for DLX get the stamp at some point soon after they come out of the press, before going to get cut or anything else.  Sometimes they don't get a stamp for whatever reason, or boards that come out of the same presses for other brand allocation before cutting are then used for DLX brands, but by that time, no one knows what number they were and it is not stamped.  Hopefully that makes sense.

That TG board is a super short one, or at least short 14.0 wb, from the spec list, so it might have been from a different press or wood allocated to the general pool.

I think it was 9.25 x 31.8 or 32 (depending on which site you look at) and 14.0 wb, but as I have not seen any in person, I don't know if it is shorter overall or just pressed on the same one as other normal boards like the blue eagle.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2115 on: October 16, 2023, 01:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah definitely still BBS.

The way I rationalise it is this:

Those boards that are marked for DLX get the stamp at some point soon after they come out of the press, before going to get cut or anything else.  Sometimes they don't get a stamp for whatever reason, or boards that come out of the same presses for other brand allocation before cutting are then used for DLX brands, but by that time, no one knows what number they were and it is not stamped.  Hopefully that makes sense.

That TG board is a super short one, or at least short 14.0 wb, from the spec list, so it might have been from a different press or wood allocated to the general pool.

I think it was 9.25 x 31.8 or 32 (depending on which site you look at) and 14.0 wb, but as I have not seen any in person, I don't know if it is shorter overall or just pressed on the same one as other normal boards like the blue eagle.

I always just assumed they stuck a stamp in between the separator sheets and top veneer or had permanent sheets with them stamped into it and did it that way or something. It seems like it would be really easy to get things mixed up in terms of position once they come off the press and moved to the next station otherwise. If the stack gets shuffled prior to stamping at all your numbering system basically loses it's meaning afterwards. Pennswood (and control) number theirs too but iirc it's to ID the press used, not the stack position.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2116 on: October 16, 2023, 10:15:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Normally like to ride a 3-4 when I get dlx decks. Wanted to try the 8.28 real again after a few decks and blind ordered one from holistic in reading. Came to my house in MD next day which was sick but was a 2 in the  press. Excited to get a session in but we are in the middle of a storm. Hopefully Tues or weds I can get out.
[close]

You can do the car tire trick to mellow it out but Im always concerned that will kill the pop prematurely.

In the future if you buy from holistic just hit JD up on insta or via email beforehand and he will happily check the stamps for you. He actually kept an eye out for IV stamped 8.28s after I asked him about one and hit me up like months later to tell me one had just come in. He's gone through stacks of boards looking for certain top stains too, and I got the impression he kinda enjoyed it haha. He's definitely a skate nerd and has sympathy for the madness sufferer... just one of those all around awesome shop owners.

Actually a lot of shops are cool about checking stamps for you. You might get some flack from like the ski/skate/wake emporium type places but core shops are usually super chill about it. They get it. The only exception I've ever had was one dude who started like arguing with me about what boards were steep and what ones weren't like the guy special requesting a specific stamp didn't already know what he likes. I won't publicly shame them, but they did try to imply that PS stix has no mellow molds because FA boards are steep. This was a solid year or two after they had gone fully to BBS.
Damn that’s very sick, I always feel bad about hitting those guys up about that stuff and I normally can adapt pretty quickly. This one took about two sessions to get used to but I love that shape. Maybe wish the tail was just a tiny bit longer

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2117 on: October 16, 2023, 07:27:57 PM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88 ! 9.25 x 32 x 14.0 seems exactly what it feels like under my feet after riding it for a bit now. I forgot to look at the sticker before tossing the wrapping.

Also, appreciate the response(s) about the stamping. I expected it but didn't sweat that it wasn't there. The R1 construction thing is something I definitely remember DLX experimenting when it came to concave, rocker, etc. separate from their regular shapes back in 2014-ish

In hindsight, I think I should have gone with a different DLX (Grosso, etc.) shaped deck the shop had. One that had a longer WB than 14 because it's noticeably shorter feeling compared to my regular 14.5 WB BBS decks I actually skate. For a cruiser, it may be too squirrelly. We'll see.

Can't complain, because I can turn this into a fun shaped deck with 151 Thunders or keep cruising as is.
Super Champion Fun Zone

DanRar009

• Rep: 53
« Reply #2118 on: November 03, 2023, 03:48:10 AM »
Been looking to skate another real board and never really noticed too much about the different board constructions, other than the obvious ones but what exactly is the real dreamer shape/construction? I like the dimensions on it and I have skated real boards in the past with similar dims just have no idea what the dreamer part means

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2119 on: November 03, 2023, 04:37:33 AM »
Been looking to skate another real board and never really noticed too much about the different board constructions, other than the obvious ones but what exactly is the real dreamer shape/construction? I like the dimensions on it and I have skated real boards in the past with similar dims just have no idea what the dreamer part means

I don't know where it started, but that name has been associated with that particular shape for a while now, maybe from KWalks or someone else.

Really it is just the name they gave to that shape, nothing more, as far as I could tell.  It is the usual BBS / DLX wood normal pressed R1 concave with the dimensions being 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, around 7" nose and 6.5" tail, favourite shape of Grant Taylor and Kyle Walker (so they have said as well as being skated by some of the other guys now too) which more often than not is a little more mellow than other similar shapes and concaves, when compared to the usual 8.25 or longer 8.5 shape of the same presses, I II III or IV stamped on top.

I have been skating them for a while now and have had a lot of them (more than fifty all up of this exact shape), along with having a significant number of the usual 8.25 and longer 8.5 boards come through my hands, which I was not as keen on, but back to the 8.38 dreamer shape, it is a little wider than 8.38 / a hair under 8.5 really, straight through the middle with a slightly more pointy nose and tail than some other boards, but it works well for what it is.

It is the same BBS shape that seems to be used by a number of brands, including Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, DGK, Element, Heroin and others, as I have had them all to compare and check, same wood, sometimes different stain lay ups but overall the same boards when riding them, although note a few of those brands seem to have discontinued / changed their shapes now.

Somewhere like Tactics is good to see all dimensions, even if you don't think they are totally accurate, they still give what I could see a fairly good representation of most of those boards, from what I have seen and measured when I have had them in my hands.

https://www.tactics.com/search/8.38

https://www.tactics.com/real/praman-one-off-838-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.38
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.38
LENGTH (IN):   32.25
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.56

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 10
  • fresh
« Reply #2120 on: November 03, 2023, 05:47:43 AM »
Hey Slap Pals,

We're working to some new Deluxe deck shapes. Any shapes you like now that could use a tweak to make it perfect?

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or input we'd love to hear them!
shovel!!!
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

DanRar009

« Reply #2121 on: November 03, 2023, 07:18:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know where it started, but that name has been associated with that particular shape for a while now, maybe from KWalks or someone else.

Really it is just the name they gave to that shape, nothing more, as far as I could tell.  It is the usual BBS / DLX wood normal pressed R1 concave with the dimensions being 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, around 7" nose and 6.5" tail, favourite shape of Grant Taylor and Kyle Walker (so they have said as well as being skated by some of the other guys now too) which more often than not is a little more mellow than other similar shapes and concaves, when compared to the usual 8.25 or longer 8.5 shape of the same presses, I II III or IV stamped on top.

I have been skating them for a while now and have had a lot of them (more than fifty all up of this exact shape), along with having a significant number of the usual 8.25 and longer 8.5 boards come through my hands, which I was not as keen on, but back to the 8.38 dreamer shape, it is a little wider than 8.38 / a hair under 8.5 really, straight through the middle with a slightly more pointy nose and tail than some other boards, but it works well for what it is.

It is the same BBS shape that seems to be used by a number of brands, including Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, DGK, Element, Heroin and others, as I have had them all to compare and check, same wood, sometimes different stain lay ups but overall the same boards when riding them, although note a few of those brands seem to have discontinued / changed their shapes now.

Somewhere like Tactics is good to see all dimensions, even if you don't think they are totally accurate, they still give what I could see a fairly good representation of most of those boards, from what I have seen and measured when I have had them in my hands.

SPECS
SIZE   8.38

Thank you for the in depth response my man, makes a little more sense now, and it being the same mold as the baker/deathwish boards makes sense on why I like that shape so much. I’ve always skated better and get more comfortable on a board with a 14.5 wheelbase with the pointy nose and tail. Definitely my favorite shape that real makes. I’ve tried the 8.25 and the 8.5 that has the 14.25 wheelbase, definitely hated the 8.25 the most out of them. Hopefully the holiday sales start kicking in soon because I think I’m gonna try and stick up on those 8.38 oval boards and finally end my board madness.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2122 on: November 03, 2023, 07:24:20 AM »

I’ve always skated better and get more comfortable on a board with a 14.5 wheelbase…

I’ve tried the 8.25 and the 8.5 that has the 14.25 wheelbase, definitely hated the 8.25 the most out of them.

Interesting. I’d assume with 14.38wb (closer to preferred 14.5), the 8.25 would have won out over the smaller length and wb of the 8.5

DanRar009

« Reply #2123 on: November 04, 2023, 04:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote

I’ve always skated better and get more comfortable on a board with a 14.5 wheelbase…

I’ve tried the 8.25 and the 8.5 that has the 14.25 wheelbase, definitely hated the 8.25 the most out of them.
[close]

Interesting. I’d assume with 14.38wb (closer to preferred 14.5), the 8.25 would have won out over the smaller length and wb of the 8.5

I would’ve thought the same, maybe I had a botched deck but I have skated an anti hero eagle 8.25 and that one worked pretty well but then came across a real skate shop day 8.25 and the board just would not work for me. Skated it for a week and ended up throwing on an old 8.5 board with my preferred wheelbase. For sure 8.5 14.5 wb is my sweet spot.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2124 on: November 04, 2023, 11:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SPECS
SIZE   8.38

My absolute favorite shape. Just perfect.

Though… the newest catalogue doesn’t have many. I sure hope they aren’t phasing the “dreamer” shape out :(
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2125 on: November 04, 2023, 05:42:50 PM »

Though… the newest catalogue doesn’t have many. I sure hope they aren’t phasing the “dreamer” shape out :(

Ha no I don't think it is going any time soon.

It is almost the most common / main shape a lot of their guys ride, but I also think they go through cycles of certain shapes more than others, so when people really want something like an 8.12 or an 8.28 shape, they will do a few of those and less of the other ones for a minute.

Regardless of graphic, there will always be the AH green eagle, the Real white oval and the Krooked eyes boards in rotation, but there already show half a dozen (maybe more in drop 2 from them).

Fall 2023 8.38 shape:

AH (drop 1 and 2)
Hewitt pigeon grimple
Pfanner Cityscapes
Green eagle

Real (only drop 1)
Patrick Silk
White oval

Krooked (only drop 1)
Cernciky Inferno

Almost forgot this one too, on sale down to $59.50

https://www.unityzines.com/product-page-yt8xe/labels-8-38

"Labels" 8.38
 $70.00 Regular Price
$59.50 Sale Price

8.38 x 32.25 WB14.5 Dreamer shape

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2126 on: November 05, 2023, 06:57:01 AM »
Regardless of graphic, there will always be the AH green eagle, the Real white oval and the Krooked eyes boards in rotation, but there already show half a dozen (maybe more in drop 2 from them).

Point of Clarification: The standard DLX 8.38/14.5 is the "dreamer" shape? I don't mess with 8.38s all that much, so I never paid much attention to the nomenclature associated with them.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2127 on: November 05, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha no I don't think it is going any time soon.

It is almost the most common / main shape a lot of their guys ride, but I also think they go through cycles of certain shapes more than others, so when people really want something like an 8.12 or an 8.28 shape, they will do a few of those and less of the other ones for a minute.

Fall 2023 8.38 shape:

AH (drop 1 and 2)
Hewitt pigeon grimple
Pfanner Cityscapes
Green eagle

Real (only drop 1)
Patrick Silk
White oval

Krooked (only drop 1)
Cernciky Inferno

Almost forgot this one too, on sale down to $59.50

https://www.unityzines.com/product-page-yt8xe/labels-8-38

"Labels" 8.38
 $70.00 Regular Price
$59.50 Sale Price

8.38 x 32.25 WB14.5 Dreamer shape

Real also has www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Walker_Canopy_Slick_Deck/descpage-RLKWCPDK.html (custom mellow concave slick bottom) and https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Wair_On_Lock_Deck/descpage-RLWOLKDK.html (standard dreamer shape)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2128 on: November 05, 2023, 03:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Point of Clarification: The standard DLX 8.38/14.5 is the "dreamer" shape? I don't mess with 8.38s all that much, so I never paid much attention to the nomenclature associated with them.

Yes.

Funny that it has a shape name, seeing as most others do not, when compared to pro rider shapes, eg Raney shape, Yinzer / Kanfoush shape, Russo Lusso shape, etc.

I always just called it the 8.38 shape, but then people were getting confused so someone asked DLX and they confirmed it was just the normal 8.38 shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2129 on: November 05, 2023, 03:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Real also has www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Walker_Canopy_Slick_Deck/descpage-RLKWCPDK.html (custom mellow concave slick bottom) and https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Wair_On_Lock_Deck/descpage-RLWOLKDK.html (standard dreamer shape)

Yeah there are still a lot of them out there from previous drops too, so even if they don't list dimensions correctly, as per the Walker deck on SW, it is still the same board.

The curious thing is with those mellow boards, some people have seen them and say they are no different to the other R1 boards, so who knows.  At least that one is a slick too, so that would make it stand out a bit more.  Not going to comment on the graphic at all either.

I get them for the wood and the shape first, graphic last in the order of interests, but there has often been significant differences in concave between some of the 8.38 boards, almost like some runs / stock are on a mellow mold, more so than the normal one, which I prefer.

I posted this a while back, but it is relevant now too:

More just for curiosity than anything else.

Here's the Real 8.38 mellow mold board, on the bottom, against another Real 8.38 and two Antihero 8.38 olive eagles.

All four of them are the same shape and dimensions, just the bottom one is so much flatter throughout.