Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233443 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2190 on: November 14, 2023, 05:02:39 PM »

what’s the gonz timeline:

I was curious so had to check artofskateboarding.com and was happy I did.

Quite a few very iconic graphics, timeline added to your list:

vision from 1985
blind from 1990
60/40 from 1993
atm click from 1994
real from 1995
krooked from 2002

Thinking back, you could say sweatpants, moonsmile, family, mermaid, skull with banana and more and people know the graphic.  Pretty cool he has been able to keep his graphics through Krooked and re releases a lot of them in various forms too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #2191 on: November 14, 2023, 05:28:30 PM »
Real Gonz is what I knew coming up. I forget sometimes how long ago krooked started.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2192 on: November 14, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »
Expand Quote
New AH shape out. The Scallywag.

9.3 x 14.3 WB. Squared off nose and tail. Wheel wells. Pretty sick Greensleeves Records collaboration.

[close]

I like the look of that one, just enough in the width for Indy 169s with big wheels, but not too long a wheelbase and good sized kicks.

Seems like a few more new shapes coming as well, which is pretty cool to see.  Creative juices flowing over there for sure.

Do I recall you saying you got a Genius shape too, or was that someone else?

Someone was asking me about it the other day and I had no other info on it / hadn't seen any in person.

Yeah, I have a Genius set up as a cruiser. Got the new one with wheel wells also as I like it so much.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2193 on: November 15, 2023, 12:25:41 AM »
Anyone ran into some of the regular AH 8.25 / 14.38 decks being wider in real life? Just recently got a GT model that's indicated as 8.25 but is actually 8.38 when measured.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2194 on: November 15, 2023, 12:54:29 AM »
All of mine have been about 8.3 or a tad over. The 8.125 is actually 8.25

rikki

« Reply #2195 on: November 15, 2023, 01:42:33 AM »
All of mine have been about 8.3 or a tad over. The 8.125 is actually 8.25

Not always, I think -- I also have an 8.125 Kanfoush that's true to the indicated dims.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2196 on: November 15, 2023, 03:01:19 AM »
 Maybe it's slight variances in routing/finishing?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2197 on: November 15, 2023, 07:01:20 AM »
Anyone ran into some of the regular AH 8.25 / 14.38 decks being wider in real life? Just recently got a GT model that's indicated as 8.25 but is actually 8.38 when measured.

Where did you get it from?* I religiously ride the 8.25/14.38. Measure everyone I get. Straight ruler across middle (e.g. NOT accounting for concave) has always been 8.25 (+/- 1/32").

*I often buy my shoes at local Vans outlet stores. Some of them sell decks. I always look at them when I am in there. I have seen grey eagle graphics on deck shapes that were clearly not the 8.25/14.38 shape (and grey eagle is not the only mis-matched version I've seen). I've also seen this occur at Zumies at times. This has lead me to believe that DLX might send weird production strings to "lesser" stores that prolly wouldn't fly at "core" skate shops, as I have never seen this phenomena at real skate shops. Pure speculation on my part, but there seems to be a pattern. *shrugs*
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2198 on: November 15, 2023, 07:05:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you get it from?* I religiously ride the 8.25/14.38. Measure everyone I get. Straight ruler across middle (e.g. NOT accounting for concave) has always been 8.25 (+/- 1/32").

*I often buy my shoes at local Vans outlet stores. Some of them sell decks. I always look at them when I am in there. I have seen grey eagle graphics on deck shapes that were clearly not the 8.25/14.38 shape (and grey eagle is not the only mis-matched version I've seen). I've also seen this occur at Zumies at times. This has lead me to believe that DLX might send weird production strings to "lesser" stores that prolly wouldn't fly at "core" skate shops, as I have never seen this phenomena at real skate shops. Pure speculation on my part, but there seems to be a pattern. *shrugs*

this tracks with my very vague notion that i don’t think i’ve seen a IV in a non core shop.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2199 on: November 15, 2023, 07:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this tracks with my very vague notion that i don’t think i’ve seen a IV in a non core shop.

I know I've mentioned this before...IV is my jam. Since they can be hard to come by, I (a) have a small stock pile of them,  (b) constantly search for them, and (c) will buy one anyone who is selling them. Anytime I am near any store that sells decks (core shop, Vans, Zumies), and my stock pile is low, I will see what they have. I have absolutely seen IV at non-core shops.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2200 on: November 15, 2023, 07:14:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know I've mentioned this before...IV is my jam. Since they can be hard to come by, I (a) have a small stock pile of them,  (b) constantly search for them, and (c) will buy one anyone who is selling them. Anytime I am near any store that sells decks (core shop, Vans, Zumies), and my stock pile is low, I will see what they have. I have absolutely seen IV at non-core shops.

well dammit. i was hoping to cross those places off of my list.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2201 on: November 15, 2023, 07:14:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I actually mentioned this exact issue about a week ago, too. See below.

8.25/14.38 is my main jam. IV stamp. I keep a small stock pile of them, because they can be hard to come by. My stock pile was getting low. Today I hit two local Core Shops, and five different Zumies. Must have seen 15 or so different 8.25s (all eagle or black oval). All were either I or II stamped. One eagle was a no stamp, and clearly not the standard 8.25 shape (at a Zumies). Not a single III or IV to been seen. Considering how many decks I saw, I thought that rather odd.

This is why I keep a small stock pile.

rikki

« Reply #2202 on: November 15, 2023, 07:52:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got it from a core skate shop in my hometown in Northern Europe. It's not a biggie, really, but it got me curious as it's the first time for me -- I've also ridden a large number of DLX 8.25 x 14.38s and they've been spot on. (Yeah not accounting the concave of course.)

Edit: if it matters, the deck is a II.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2203 on: November 15, 2023, 03:30:16 PM »
anyone skating an orange eagle? like it?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2204 on: November 15, 2023, 05:00:32 PM »
had two. everything was way too long for street
unless you are BA or some shit

really good for hillbombs and transition
but popping off flat quickly tired me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2205 on: November 15, 2023, 05:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
had two. everything was way too long for street
unless you are BA or some shit

really good for hillbombs and transition
but popping off flat quickly tired me

i couldn’t be more unlike BA, physically.

i’ve mentioned this a few times, but i had some really trippy (for once an appropriate usage) board/setup that was way over 32”, 14.75 ish wb, 9”. flipped great.
hills were amazing.

i’ve got some other vague questions about larger boards….maybe there is something to tail length and wheel size?

anyways, thanks for mentioning your experience. i’ve been talking myself into/out of the polar 9” vs the limosine 9”, as a built for the purpose of skating for distance and hills

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2206 on: November 15, 2023, 08:21:22 PM »

Is that the 9"/15wb one? Looks kind of...redish...on current AH site (also thought the 9" one was orange, too).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2207 on: November 15, 2023, 08:29:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Got it from a core skate shop in my hometown in Northern Europe. It's not a biggie, really, but it got me curious as it's the first time for me -- I've also ridden a large number of DLX 8.25 x 14.38s and they've been spot on. (Yeah not accounting the concave of course.)

I am usually pretty quiet about some board discrepancies or measurements, but happy to disagree with other people on this, so everyone has the right to say whatever they like, no issues there, but I am also not going to get into a debate with anyone as to what they have measured, compared to what I have measured, compared to someone else, etc.

My take on it:

The DLX 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 has been known to be wider than almost any other 8.25 board in stock in the shop, as well as lining up ten or more of them on their side and the differences between some of them are significant, some being even wider than the usual slightly wider profile of the usual 8.25 DLX boards, but none are actually just on 8.25.  We are talking very minimal really, a single mm or two, so no in the grand scheme of things, it is not that much, but they do make any other boards with stated 8.25 wide dimensions look like a size down, be it Baker, Element or other BBS brands, Dwindle brands, PS Stix and so on.

Not a worry to me any which way, but as you have noted, your DLX 8.25 is wider than you thought and yes quite a number of people have said this as well, including a DLX rep / employee a fair while back who skates the 8.25 boards purely because they are bigger than what was said.

Really with board sizes, DLX often has some funny dimensions, so given we are 74 pages into the DLX shapes thread, you could check back over previous posts, or I could list a few basics:

The 8.25 is wider (8.3 or so), the 8.38 is wider (8.48 or so), the 8.5 with the 14.25 wb is not as wide (8.35 or so) but for all of those, especially some from quite a while ago that I have, their dimensions are different, so somewhere along the line, something has changed and this is what we have now.

There is even a "DLX board sizes are always off" thread, which has six pages of interesting reading if you are really keen, but I think I will leave it at that.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114805.0

From more recent boards I have had come through my hands:

The most recent grey eagle I got was also the same as the other 8.25 DLX boards, more like 8.3 wide.

The most recent blue eagle and other 8.5 / 14.25 wb sized boards I got was smaller than an older lighter blue coloured, blue eagle deck, which did measure 8.5 at the widest point.

Boards like the 8.62 cream eagle, 8.75 white eagle, 9.0 orange eagle, other 8.06 8.125 8.5 with 14.38 wb boards and 8.3 twins I have also had come through my hands this year were what I would call true to measurements, if it matters at all, but as per differences talked about here, measurements can be subjective depending on the person.

Sorry for the semi rant, if it came across that way.

As you were.

:)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2208 on: November 15, 2023, 08:48:58 PM »

I know I had said it before, but I like how they have now put the dimensions on the eagles.

This helps with board identification too, even though some colours might be a little off in some pics.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2209 on: November 15, 2023, 09:12:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I am usually pretty quiet about some board discrepancies or measurements, but happy to disagree with other people on this, so everyone has the right to say whatever they like, no issues there, but I am also not going to get into a debate with anyone as to what they have measured, compared to what I have measured, compared to someone else, etc.

My take on it:

The DLX 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 has been known to be wider than almost any other 8.25 board in stock in the shop, as well as lining up ten or more of them on their side and the differences between some of them are significant, some being even wider than the usual slightly wider profile of the usual 8.25 DLX boards, but none are actually just on 8.25.  We are talking very minimal really, a single mm or two, so no in the grand scheme of things, it is not that much, but they do make any other boards with stated 8.25 wide dimensions look like a size down, be it Baker, Element or other BBS brands, Dwindle brands, PS Stix and so on.

Not a worry to me any which way, but as you have noted, your DLX 8.25 is wider than you thought and yes quite a number of people have said this as well, including a DLX rep / employee a fair while back who skates the 8.25 boards purely because they are bigger than what was said.

Really with board sizes, DLX often has some funny dimensions, so given we are 74 pages into the DLX shapes thread, you could check back over previous posts, or I could list a few basics:

The 8.25 is wider (8.3 or so), the 8.38 is wider (8.48 or so), the 8.5 with the 14.25 wb is not as wide (8.35 or so) but for all of those, especially some from quite a while ago that I have, their dimensions are different, so somewhere along the line, something has changed and this is what we have now.

There is even a "DLX board sizes are always off" thread, which has six pages of interesting reading if you are really keen, but I think I will leave it at that.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114805.0

From more recent boards I have had come through my hands:

The most recent grey eagle I got was also the same as the other 8.25 DLX boards, more like 8.3 wide.

The most recent blue eagle and other 8.5 / 14.25 wb sized boards I got was smaller than an older lighter blue coloured, blue eagle deck, which did measure 8.5 at the widest point.

Boards like the 8.62 cream eagle, 8.75 white eagle, 9.0 orange eagle, other 8.06 8.125 8.5 with 14.38 wb boards and 8.3 twins I have also had come through my hands this year were what I would call true to measurements, if it matters at all, but as per differences talked about here, measurements can be subjective depending on the person.

Sorry for the semi rant, if it came across that way.

As you were.

:)

I really wish DLX would do what Crailtap does (e.g. giving each deck a specific name/number, and list all respective dimensions in an easy to find place).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2210 on: November 15, 2023, 09:39:45 PM »
the crail shape guide is superb

interested in the differences between the cream, and white, eagles. seem pretty close

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2211 on: November 15, 2023, 10:00:48 PM »

interested in the differences between the cream, and white, eagles. seem pretty close

The white eagle, IMHO, is way more agile/well-balanced than the cream one.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2212 on: November 15, 2023, 10:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sick thanks.
 i wonder what dimensions cause that feeling, my guess is longer tail and nose

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2213 on: November 15, 2023, 10:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

sick thanks.
 i wonder what dimensions cause that feeling, my guess is longer tail and nose

Wheelbase. And overall ratios.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2214 on: November 15, 2023, 10:32:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes definitely!

While the cream eagle is the longer wheelbase board, similar to a bigger green 8.38, which a lot of the vert guys loved, as well as the big bowl guys who didn't want something as big as the 9" orange eagle.  Then the white eagle is a little more stubby and does feel really good as an all rounder for the size and shape.

The 8.62 shape is the same through the rail, no taper, long rounded almost pointy kicks, long wheelbase and really stable on bigger transition, but a little too big when skating it normally on everything else.

The 8.75 is 8.75 at the shoulder then has taper down to 8.6 at the tail, is not quite as long as the 8.62 even though it says it on paper and has a little more blunt rounded nose and really good size and shape overall for everything that I have skated it on, both street, ramp, park, etc.

I had the same Indy 159s and 56 to 58mm wheels on both, but prefer thinner wheels like Classics on the 8.62 as they don't stick out as much as the bigger wider wheels like Conical Full / Classic Full wheels that work well on the 8.75 size board.

For anyone who is curious, I would say to go more for the 8.75 for everything, but I do know some dudes love the longer 8.62 board.

They both come in those same shapes, with whatever graphics, through the whole DLX board brands range, so almost every drop of Real, Krooked or Antihero has an 8.75 and quite often an 8.62 as well.

Somewhere in the history of this thread I thought had put up pretty clear detailed pics of kicks of both side by side, which right this minute I couldn't find, but it is noticeable.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2215 on: November 15, 2023, 11:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes definitely!

While the cream eagle is the longer wheelbase board, similar to a bigger green 8.38, which a lot of the vert guys loved, as well as the big bowl guys who didn't want something as big as the 9" orange eagle.  Then the white eagle is a little more stubby and does feel really good as an all rounder for the size and shape.

The 8.62 shape is the same through the rail, no taper, long rounded almost pointy kicks, long wheelbase and really stable on bigger transition, but a little too big when skating it normally on everything else.

The 8.75 is 8.75 at the shoulder then has taper down to 8.6 at the tail, is not quite as long as the 8.62 even though it says it on paper and has a little more blunt rounded nose and really good size and shape overall for everything that I have skated it on, both street, ramp, park, etc.

I had the same Indy 159s and 56 to 58mm wheels on both, but prefer thinner wheels like Classics on the 8.62 as they don't stick out as much as the bigger wider wheels like Conical Full / Classic Full wheels that work well on the 8.75 size board.

For anyone who is curious, I would say to go more for the 8.75 for everything, but I do know some dudes love the longer 8.62 board.

They both come in those same shapes, with whatever graphics, through the whole DLX board brands range, so almost every drop of Real, Krooked or Antihero has an 8.75 and quite often an 8.62 as well.

Somewhere in the history of this thread I thought had put up pretty clear detailed pics of kicks of both side by side, which right this minute I couldn't find, but it is noticeable.

IMHO, the 8.75 and 8.25(14.38) have the "same" shape. Likewise, the 8.62 and 8.38/8.5 have the "same" shape. This is to say the 8.75/8.25 have a slightly more "full" nose shape, whereas the 8.62/8.38/8.5 have a slightly more rounded/pointy nose/tail shape.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2216 on: November 15, 2023, 11:32:29 PM »
Remember that skateboards aren't lazer cut. After the shape is cut they still have to route and sand the edges. The difference between 8.25 and 8.3 is .05in or a better way to say it is "five one hundredths of an inch" even tho you could reduce the fraction it just shows how minuscule the actual difference is. We've all learned since the late 90's that width isn't the key to how a board feels and performs and if it's consistent everywhere else the small finishing differences shouldn't matter.

What mostly has fucked with me is that although DLX has the numerals they don't always line up. I've had a I 8.38 that is mellower than a III 8.25. I've had 2 8.25s and on one you can see the kicks had less fingers of flat on both the nose and tail despite being the same numeral. Lots of BBS decks are like this and I've noticed massive steepness variances in the Sci-Fi I've had.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2217 on: November 16, 2023, 06:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes definitely!

[close]

IMHO, the 8.75 and 8.25(14.38) have the "same" shape. Likewise, the 8.62 and 8.38/8.5 have the "same" shape. This is to say the 8.75/8.25 have a slightly more "full" nose shape, whereas the 8.62/8.38/8.5 have a slightly more rounded/pointy nose/tail shape.

damn this is all exactly what i was looking for.

interesting that the 8.75 isn’t longer than the 8.62.
in the description of the shapes that sedition made, i prefer a pointy nose/tail shape, but what you both said was that the white eagle is the better ‘all arounder’: i’ve been looking at wider/longer boards for some go fast situations (relative fast for me, most likely not fast for you), and although i’m looking for stability at speed, being me, i will eventually end up in a parking lot trying to flip this thing.

@LebowskisRug i find the routing stuff to be really consistent with bbs, compared to my preferred wood shop which is ps stix.
all things being close, bbs is waaaay closer to delivering consistent shapes. or at least had been. i haven’t been skating bbs stuff, purposefully, since the pandemic boards, save for one krooked true fit that i wanted to try, graphic aside, haaaaaaaated it

now the steepness variability….i do not prefer the bbs molds/concave. at all. even a mellow bbs is far from flat, and the steep ones really mess with me (a me problem).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2218 on: November 16, 2023, 02:45:50 PM »

now the steepness variability….i do not prefer the bbs molds/concave. at all. even a mellow bbs is far from flat, and the steep ones really mess with me (a me problem).

To be fair (and not at all meaning to cut out everyone else in this conversation) but generally the BBS boards are also too steep for me, increasingly so in newer boards, compared to older boards.

Thankfully I have enough of the older ones to keep me happy, as well as sorting through newer ones that are within my own acceptable limits, eg 10 degrees or under in the side to side concave and kicks that end up being more around 20 degrees, compared to the 22 to 24 degrees quite a few come with as normal, even in IV molds.  At least I know if the concave is good side to side I can flatten the kicks and be happy, which I have done with a lot of boards and have perfected the technique, but trial and error there can be costly if people end up with boards that are too flat, like Mr Rug and Sedition have said before.

I do find that the 8.38 boards are more often more mellow, which suits me fine.  In the half a dozen 8.75 boards I have bought recently, some are steeper than others, some really flat, so I have kept the flat ones for myself and passed the steeper ones on to the people that ordered them, especially as two of those guys do prefer the steeper boards, so that works well for all of us.  Granted, not everyone can be in that position.

Lastly, if you are able to see any in person, they really don't look crazy in terms of the 8.75 looking like a FA board and the 8.62 looking like a Baker B16 or whatever that pointy shape was, but here are the tops from Tactics anyway for comparison.

They are big images so I scaled them for the forum but click on them to bring up the full sized image.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/team-style-862-skateboard-deck

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/doobie-pro-875-wheel-wells-skateboard-deck/teal

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2219 on: November 16, 2023, 02:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

To be fair (and not at all meaning to cut out everyone else in this conversation) but generally the BBS boards are also too steep for me, increasingly so in newer boards, compared to older boards.

Thankfully I have enough of the older ones to keep me happy, as well as sorting through newer ones that are within my own acceptable limits, eg 10 degrees or under in the side to side concave and kicks that end up being more around 20 degrees, compared to the 22 to 24 degrees quite a few come with as normal, even in IV molds.  At least I know if the concave is good side to side I can flatten the kicks and be happy, which I have done with a lot of boards and have perfected the technique, but trial and error there can be costly if people end up with boards that are too flat, like Mr Rug and Sedition have said before.

I do find that the 8.38 boards are more often more mellow, which suits me fine.  In the half a dozen 8.75 boards I have bought recently, some are steeper than others, some really flat, so I have kept the flat ones for myself and passed the steeper ones on to the people that ordered them, especially as two of those guys do prefer the steeper boards, so that works well for all of us.  Granted, not everyone can be in that position.

Lastly, if you are able to see any in person, they really don't look crazy in terms of the 8.75 looking like a FA board and the 8.62 looking like a Baker B16 or whatever that pointy shape was, but here are the tops from Tactics anyway for comparison.

They are big images so I scaled them for the forum but click on them to bring up the full sized image.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/team-style-862-skateboard-deck

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/doobie-pro-875-wheel-wells-skateboard-deck/teal

super helpful thanks.

i’m overdue to try the 8.38

if the 8.62 was b16 shaped, i’d be on it.

great point about the newer boards being steeper, this is true in my experience. definitely helps the boards last.