Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233689 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2520 on: March 24, 2024, 08:40:11 PM »
I just measured my Krooked Una true mold deck. Its suppose to be 31,75. Its more like 31,45... No wonder I felt so cramped on it. Anyway... I'm tired of have slightly different board sizes. What are the most standard DLX decks, thats easly accesible? The eagles?

Oh that's really interesting I haven't tried the 8.38 true fit cus of the supposed 31.75 length but if it measures shorter that might be a good fit.

Eagles and Real ovals are standard shapes and easily accessible but just know there are some things to keep in mind. 8.06 and 8.12 shapes always seem pretty spot on, but 8.25s sometimes are slightly wider, 8.38s measure closer to 8.5, and the 8.5s taper down a bit towards the tail so that plus the shorter length and WB make it feel smaller than the 8.38 IMO. These are just my own experiences but I think others here have reported the same.

FWIW I think it's weird that there are some inconsistencies but it's never stopped me from skating and enjoying the decks. The 8.38 olive eagle might be one of my favorite decks ever and if I had slightly longer/stronger legs, it would be the only one I'd skate

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2521 on: March 24, 2024, 08:53:25 PM »
Where can I find the dlx easy rider shape ?

The instagram post from a couple of pages back had this to say - page 83 for everything about them:

New Easy Rider Concave decks coming soon. A new relaxed, comfy concave from DLX. Designed for full board feel - quick, responsive pop - and more control. Stay Tuned for info on when they will release at shops.

From that I am guessing they will be out in the next drop or so, but who knows, given it is a new product, it might be out sooner than later, or be a while off, but as yet they are only in testing and special team rider versions.

The Ben DG post on the same page said they were in 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 I think, but others could correct me on that too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #2522 on: March 24, 2024, 09:01:16 PM »
Yeah 8.25, 8.38, and 8.5 were mentioned in Ben's last IG post (including comments) with the 8.25 having the shorter WB and the 8.38 and 8.5 being standard shapes. Really cool to hear some first impressions already. I kinda wanna try the 8.38 when it drops, seems like it would be fun on Indy titaniums.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2523 on: March 25, 2024, 10:41:23 AM »
@Mbrimson88 have you seen any of these AH 8.5s in person?  A 7.06 nose (yes!), and a 14.0 WB?  These seem promising.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/mis-registered-eagle-85-skateboard-deck/orange
SPECS
SIZE   8.5
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.0
NOSE (IN):   7.06
TAIL (IN):   6.625
hardly art, hardly starving

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2524 on: March 25, 2024, 03:58:09 PM »
@Mbrimson88 have you seen any of these AH 8.5s in person?  A 7.06 nose (yes!), and a 14.0 WB?  These seem promising.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/mis-registered-eagle-85-skateboard-deck/orange
SPECS
SIZE   8.5

No I haven't which might be a bit strange, but I don't even know how many of them made it here to AU.

Others have had them on here so I will have a look and link them when I find them, the "AH short shape" is the easiest way to track it down, but besides Misregistered as a name, there was another graphic, looked like a cassette tape (it was Hi Bias) and maybe another Curb type one I can't think of right this minute (Curb Crusher), but they seem to be fairly common in some places.

Also the newish Pigeon Vision Grant Taylor board is also that shape, some pics and people have had it here in this thread too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg4128228#msg4128228

@Richard Skidder posted one here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg4139152#msg4139152

At one point they appeared to have that graphic on the Tru Fit shape but then went back to the original shape, or it was just mislabeled as per AH Spring 2023 catalog

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2023/

This had the inverse graphic:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/fall-2022/

Here was the tape looking board:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/summer-2022/

This one had the Curb Crushers graphic on that shape:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2022/

The pic seems pretty good for shape looking at it too:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 04:21:13 PM by Mbrimson88 »

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2525 on: April 01, 2024, 10:44:14 AM »
I have the opportunity to have not too expensive an 8.25 True fit with 31.5 and 13.88 Wb .

I'm currently skating the Indy Forged Hollows 139 (The magic carpet doesn't scare me, i prefer this, I hate wide trucks)

However, I was wondering while skating 8.125 currently, does this true fit shape in 8.25 cause a big change or on the contrary, provides a feeling of a wide board with more ease for landing while maintaining ease of turning and flicking thanks to the Wb 13.88 ?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2526 on: April 01, 2024, 10:46:19 AM »
trying this There 8.25... which seems pretty great after a session

hardly art, hardly starving

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2527 on: April 01, 2024, 12:57:24 PM »
I have the opportunity to have not too expensive an 8.25 True fit with 31.5 and 13.88 Wb .

I'm currently skating the Indy Forged Hollows 139 (The magic carpet doesn't scare me, i prefer this, I hate wide trucks)

However, I was wondering while skating 8.125 currently, does this true fit shape in 8.25 cause a big change or on the contrary, provides a feeling of a wide board with more ease for landing while maintaining ease of turning and flicking thanks to the Wb 13.88 ?
Should be the case. Flip tricks and spins tend to work easily on the 13.8 wheelbase.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2528 on: April 02, 2024, 08:15:39 AM »

I skated a 8.25 x 31.5 x 13.88 AH Truefit a while ago and liked it a whole lot. It's a fun shape, really great for tech/flat/what have you. Pretty sure you won't have any trouble moving to 8.25 from 8.125.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #2529 on: April 02, 2024, 10:45:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated a 8.25 x 31.5 x 13.88 AH Truefit a while ago and liked it a whole lot. It's a fun shape, really great for tech/flat/what have you. Pretty sure you won't have any trouble moving to 8.25 from 8.125.

No, but I skate 5.2 los - that is my reason for wanting the 8.125.  I don't like that much of a magic carpet feeling.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2530 on: April 02, 2024, 02:55:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Where can I find the dlx easy rider shape ?
[close]

The instagram post from a couple of pages back had this to say - page 83 for everything about them:

New Easy Rider Concave decks coming soon. A new relaxed, comfy concave from DLX. Designed for full board feel - quick, responsive pop - and more control. Stay Tuned for info on when they will release at shops.

From that I am guessing they will be out in the next drop or so, but who knows, given it is a new product, it might be out sooner than later, or be a while off, but as yet they are only in testing and special team rider versions.

The Ben DG post on the same page said they were in 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 I think, but others could correct me on that too.

Saw they are available for shops to order today.
Got one a little early and reviewed it. Apologies if too long winded and redundant .

https://youtu.be/kP-5xZYgdxY?si=gURdUbOVSW7I08wR

breaker19er

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2531 on: April 03, 2024, 06:36:14 AM »

SPECS
SIZE   8.5

I have one of these from a previous release that I haven't set up yet. The shape tapers a good bit. It is almost an 1/8" wider over the front truck measuring 8 x 5/8" and 1/16" narrower over the rear measuring 8 x 7/16". Happy to post pics with a ruler over each.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2532 on: April 03, 2024, 12:11:46 PM »
Took the easy rider eagle out for a quick session at UN Plaza yesterday.
The deck felt great, I loved it right from the jump.  The only objections I have are: a) personally, I prefer the 14.5”WB so the 14.25” feels a little cramped (I should have asked for the 8.38” x 14.5” instead of the 8.5”) but the using the Indy’s instead of AF1s helped mitigate that small feeling a bit, and b) that I don’t care for the glitter. 
It feels like the flat portion across the middle of the deck is a little wider & obvs, the rise of the concave noticeably less.
The kicks still feel like the DLX mid ish kicks I’m accustomed to but maybe the nose is mellower(?)  The pop felt natural on/of both tips & I enjoyed the feel of nollies more than usual.
For how mellow this deck’s side to side concave is, it didn’t “flex out” how I suspected it might.  That is to say, it did NOT have that PS Stix-esque little bit of give.  Maybe that’s down to the lickle bit of spoonage they left in the tips?
I can’t say I really noticed it’s presence but the deck definitely has a little bit of a rocker as well.
The mellow cave was not off putting, & even though my tech game is grievously lacking, I was still able to appreciate the reduced rate of rise in the pocket. 
Pop felt fantastic on a pair of standard Indys & 54mm wheels.
The jury is still out for me as far as durability, compared to other BBS/DLX decks, as I’ve only just started in on this set up: I’ll report back if I uncover any abnormal issues.
For now though, I’m a fan of this thing; it feels really fun to my feet.
If you’re the sort that leans towards flatter concaves, maybe you always look for the deck marked IV in the stack order, or you’re like me & just really like trying out different stuff, you’ll almost certainly get some pleasure out of these.
It was my curiosity that led me to try this new mold out, but my actual experience on the deck is what’s causing me to keep it in the quiver, in spite of the glitter, rather than passing it along.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2533 on: April 03, 2024, 02:39:05 PM »

While I've not ridden any true fits yet, that is the general idea (same for NHS 'stump' boards); you get a regular (true/same mold) shaped board as the bigger ones, just scaled down proportionately.

That said, of ALL size adjustments I notice the switch from 8.125/8.25 and vice versa the most of anything (except for jumping to an 8.75).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2534 on: April 03, 2024, 05:53:33 PM »

Took the easy rider eagle out for a quick session at UN Plaza yesterday...

As always, a good read, great observations and makes me very interested to try one.

I think the hype around these boards and the Spitfire 93 duro wheels are well deserved too, so it will be good when both those make it out here to AU.

Saw they are available for shops to order today.
Got one a little early and reviewed it. Apologies if too long winded and redundant .

https://youtu.be/kP-5xZYgdxY?si=gURdUbOVSW7I08wR

Same with your info and video - always keen to see and watch and worth the time and effort too.

Thanks for the info and updates!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2535 on: April 04, 2024, 02:30:33 PM »

To add to that, I just noticed DLX posted this, which has the board pics and info.

Sparkle eagles in 8.38 and 8.5 shapes

Real ovals in 8.25 and 8.5 shapes

The most interesting thing is that the kicks are not mellow, the angle of the kicks still pretty medium (which I find steep) but the side to side concave is less, among other things.

Text from that post:

More than just mellower - Easy Riders - heading to your local shop today.

Introducing a new, relaxed, comfy, concave designed for a full-board feel, quick, responsive pop, and more control. Team and @bendegros approved. Quality Guaranteed.

@realskateboards 8.25” x 32.07” - 14” WB & 8.5” x 31.8” - 14.25” WB

@antihero18 8.38” x 32.25” - 14.5” WB & 8.5” x 31.8” - 14.25” WB

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 03:53:21 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2536 on: April 04, 2024, 05:56:56 PM »
Don't forget you can usually get all the new DLX stuff direct...and before the other [bigger online] shops...

https://dlxskateshop.com/collections/skate-goods

(FYI 8.25" easy riders and 52mm easy sliders SOLD OUT)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 06:19:29 PM by Xen »

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #2537 on: April 04, 2024, 09:50:56 PM »
Don't forget you can usually get all the new DLX stuff direct...and before the other [bigger online] shops...

Just copped the 8.5. Very excited 😊

malevy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2538 on: April 05, 2024, 07:42:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just copped the 8.5. Very excited 😊

Twinsies

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #2539 on: April 05, 2024, 09:55:49 AM »
Does the decreased concave make the deck feel more flexible than a regular DLX shape?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2540 on: April 05, 2024, 04:05:27 PM »
Does the decreased concave make the deck feel more flexible than a regular DLX shape?

Someone in one of their videos - maybe 144p or Ben DG said it doesn't when they skated it.

I have some other really mellow concave boards that look very much like those, especially when they are up beside a "normal concave board" but of course the older ones I have are just regular boards, not the modified mold boards, not the same at each end in the angle, etc.

Interesting to see how this develops though, as I definitely prefer the mellow side to side concave and can deal with the steeper kick and mellow it out easily enough.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #2541 on: April 05, 2024, 04:25:56 PM »
I probably should have read this thread before purchasing but I made the assumption the kicks would be more mellow. Appreciate the video @144p and the well written review @Lou Strux. While my bag of tricks is small, I’m keen to try this and report back on how flips/ transition feels, vs. the 8.5 blue eagle I’m on now.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2542 on: April 05, 2024, 05:39:57 PM »
Ordered the 8.5 eagle. Would have gone with the 8.3 but didn’t due to length. Might be weird with ace lows but I’ll see when it gets here. Do wish I saw Dave’s review about the kicks before I ordered it but I just got a decent raise and if it’s a stinker it’s not a huge deal.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2543 on: April 05, 2024, 05:47:40 PM »
Ordered the 8.5 eagle. Would have gone with the 8.3 but didn’t due to length. Might be weird with ace lows but I’ll see when it gets here. Do wish I saw Dave’s review about the kicks before I ordered it but I just got a decent raise and if it’s a stinker it’s not a huge deal.

dave is the best.
interested in hearing your opinion with the lows. cuz i like lows.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2544 on: April 05, 2024, 11:35:01 PM »
Seems like people just assumed the whole board would be mellow so their initial reaction is ZOMGSTEEPKICKSWTAF when it seems they're just mediumish (stack position not withstanding).

DLX marketing says nothing about the kicks, it's all about the concave...and of course DaddyBen is very clear in his video that the main focus was (literally) the concave BUMP as it pertains to the transition into/out of, the pockets:
https://youtu.be/E5u8YKaCXIU?t=21

TL;DR: Kicks are not concave (the SPOON of the kicks not being in discussion, which he does mention in the video).

Dwindle broke them out: Steep kicks/mellow concave, steep kicks/full concave/mellow kicks/mellow concave/etc).

Was riding mainly BBS (cuz twin tails) for a while, mainly DW/Quasi, and some NHS twins, all of which are steeper and deeper than my last few boards which were very flat (I purposely searched for flat boards): PStix toy machine, Primitive (china), and Roger (HLC) so we'll see how the easy rider stacks up.

https://youtu.be/zykbdHkmrEQ?si=mDJ2PSRYU9XW1iVD

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 01:09:43 AM by Xen »

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #2545 on: April 06, 2024, 12:30:06 AM »
We will ever see a easy rider x true fit

That was my first thought when I saw the dimensions

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2546 on: April 06, 2024, 01:37:04 AM »
We will ever see a easy rider x true fit

That was my first thought when I saw the dimensions

My guess is probably not because that would require an additional/new mold…

…I’m still waiting for a low pro II full SE slick…

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2547 on: April 06, 2024, 02:42:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dave is the best.
interested in hearing your opinion with the lows. cuz i like lows.
I’ll report back

Looks like it’s going to get here Friday
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 04:30:02 AM by Esmith5488 »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2548 on: April 06, 2024, 01:35:09 PM »
Seems like people just assumed the whole board would be mellow so their initial reaction is ZOMGSTEEPKICKSWTAF when it seems they're just mediumish (stack position not withstanding).

DLX marketing says nothing about the kicks, it's all about the concave...and of course DaddyBen is very clear in his video that the main focus was (literally) the concave BUMP as it pertains to the transition into/out of, the pockets:
https://youtu.be/E5u8YKaCXIU?t=21

TL;DR: Kicks are not concave (the SPOON of the kicks not being in discussion, which he does mention in the video).

Dwindle broke them out: Steep kicks/mellow concave, steep kicks/full concave/mellow kicks/mellow concave/etc).

Was riding mainly BBS (cuz twin tails) for a while, mainly DW/Quasi, and some NHS twins, all of which are steeper and deeper than my last few boards which were very flat (I purposely searched for flat boards): PStix toy machine, Primitive (china), and Roger (HLC) so we'll see how the easy rider stacks up.

https://youtu.be/zykbdHkmrEQ?si=mDJ2PSRYU9XW1iVD

Looks like I landed a 1/I out of the stack.

Feels/looks like a normal medium concave deck lol, pics later.

Big 8.25 primitive vibes but the dlx version.

Primitive/easy rider noses

Primitive/easy rider tails

Easy Rider (bottom) /Quasi (top)

Easy Rider bottom / Heroin top

It feels nice but it's just a DLX board with mellow concave. BUT as someone who struggles to get 14" to work, this deck with Ventures and longer kicks good amount of fingers of flat (like all the primitives I've ridden) feels totally acceptable/not small or cramped; measures 32"L 14"WB and 8.25"w 7.25" nose and a little over 6.75" tail

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 07:46:10 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2549 on: April 09, 2024, 04:48:18 AM »

Just think if Eric Koston had that deck, he wouldn't need to redrill his Venture baseplates as the wheelbase is short enough and the kicks long enough for everything to work.

That is my take on that board anyway.