Author Topic: True Detective Season 2  (Read 17990 times)

carbonite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
True Detective Season 2
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »
June 21. Set in LA this time ...

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: True Detective Season 2
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
theres no way its as good as the first season but u know i'm watching it all anyway
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
I'm excited, but if I knew nothing about the show, that teaser wouldn't have interested me. Hopefully that's not a good indicator of the season.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
theres no way its as good as the first season but u know i'm watching it all anyway

they set the bar really high with the first season. should be interesting
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »
Everyone is too hot, and it really doesn't seem to have the same dirty and bleak vibe or atmosphere that the first season work so well. Looks like CSI or one of the hundred other crime shows. I'll watch a couple episodes though, it may surprise me. I am now a television critic, and my opinion totally matters.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think this will be as good, if not better then the first season. I have full faith in the production staff of this.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

dillanharp

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »
I'm excited.

Anybody fucking with HBO Now? I don't have Apple TV, so I'm waiting for it to come out for Samsung TVs then I'm done with Cable.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
Popcorn time Nallid... It's the pirate version of Netflix or whatever..

I agree with Grampa.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 11:44:37 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think this will be as good, if not better then the first season. I have full faith in the production staff of this.

The casting and Justin Lin supposedly directing a few episodes gives me an uneasy feeling. Then again I did not necessarily care for McConaughey before the first season so anything can happen, really.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »
Did anybody else think Vince Vaughn looked super awkward in the trailer?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:06:45 AM »
that trailer made it look like shit, wow. but i agree i thought the same thing going into season one, hopefully im wrong
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 06:21:45 AM »
I couldn't have cared less about Season One based on the clips and hype up until about episode 5 when I caved in a started watching it - was totally hooked as it wasn't the sort of thing you could really explain or 'sell' based on a couple of mins worth of clips if you ask me

This will be good - probably better than 90% of the shit that's on TV these days

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »
definitely going to watch it but topping season one is going to be really hard. hopefully get into some sketchy mexican cartel type stuff.

I'm excited, but if I knew nothing about the show, that teaser wouldn't have interested me. Hopefully that's not a good indicator of the season.
the season one trailer was way better

Then again I did not necessarily care for McConaughey before the first season so anything can happen, really.
seriously? always thought he was amazing

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
Seeing Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn gave me the opposite feeling I got when I heard it was going to be Woody and Matthew Mconaughey. 

There were a lot of frustrating aspects to season 1 that I have a feeling will find there way into the 2nd installment. 

Now I have to go re-watch it...
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
I tried watching the first episode of season 1 when I was exhausted, was probably a mistake cause I missed out on all the dialogue and didn't have a clue what was going on. The second season looks promising but also seems to be a separate storyline which is pretty cool. No need to watch the first season if I don't get into it.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
definitely going to watch it but topping season one is going to be really hard. hopefully get into some sketchy mexican cartel type stuff.

Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Then again I did not necessarily care for McConaughey before the first season so anything can happen, really.
[close]
seriously? always thought he was amazing

Duh, how could I forget? All I could think of was Surfer Dude, Sahara...

He's alright in Lone Star, too.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
he was great in dallas buyers club too

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
Matthew Mcaugagy broke barriers with his portrayal of a straight man with AIDS

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
it's funny how this show reinvigorated Mcconaughey's career. maybe it'll do the same to Vaughn's. kinda tough though considering all those fuckin owen wilson movies he did
also I remember last year the writer talking about how this season was centered around the origins of the railroad industry and the occult. maybe it's changed since then but sounded interesting

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
he was great in dallas buyers club too
He should have won the oscar for Killer Joe. Mouth raping a woman with a chicken leg? Hell, he should have won the Nobel and Pulitzer prizes too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
The first season was probably the single best use of Louisiana film tax credits ever. That is to say, the setting was the 3rd most important character of the series.

L.A. has been done in so many things I just can't give a shit.

I also agree that Cary Fukunaga doesn't seem replaceable either.

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 08:23:16 PM »
The biggest thing this has going against it in my opinion is that they aren't using the same director throughout.  Still looking forward to this and am cautiously optimistic.

This is my reservation as well. Having the creator write every episode again gives me hope though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:25:14 PM by HeadInLionsMouth »

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
The first season was probably the single best use of Louisiana film tax credits ever. That is to say, the setting was the 3rd most important character of the series.

Exactly. That sense of unease that came with being set in the bayou's coupled with the South's political history made it so compelling. I really hope they pull something similar off in season 2 but expectations are pretty high. I'll be watching it for sure though.

dillanharp

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
Anyone read Pizzolato's book Galveston? Worth reading? I imagine it is.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Exactly. That sense of unease that came with being set in the bayou's coupled with the South's political history made it so compelling. I really hope they pull something similar off in season 2 but expectations are pretty high. I'll be watching it for sure though.

also I remember last year the writer talking about how this season was centered around the origins of the railroad industry and the occult. maybe it's changed since then but sounded interesting

The development of Los Angeles and its structure and highways and whatnot was essentially the subpar work of a bunch of rich creeps trying to get richer. That setting and mindset is the subject of most golden era film noir. It has a lot of potential to bridge the cult established in the first season.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
Is that Rachel Mcadams?  Did they let 17 year old high school kids cast this show?

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

The development of Los Angeles and its structure and highways and whatnot was essentially the subpar work of a bunch of rich creeps trying to get richer. That setting and mindset is the subject of most golden era film noir. It has a lot of potential to bridge the cult established in the first season.

Vincent D'onofrio got cancer and an Irish cowboy how could one not be elated. Pino Noir indeed.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
Why is Colin Farrell dressed like a southwestern lawmen if it takes place in LA??

Anyway, I've got faith. I actually really enjoy gritty, "real" LA crime/neo-noir stuff

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
In case you haven't noticed, LA is in the southwest. On that note, maybe they just made the natural jump between LA and LA.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
shit looks fucking terrible