Author Topic: Jak Barnett WTF?  (Read 3894 times)

Howzit_World

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Jak Barnett WTF?
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
How did this dude not go on to great things?

I loved his parts in Zero Hero and the Deadbolts video (was it just me?), then he had an ad for a skateshop around 1994 and dropped off the face of the earth.

Anybody know his story?

A bit random I know, on my own at home drinking beer and watching old skate videos.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
Re: Jak Barnett WTF?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 02:09:49 AM »

I loved his parts in Zero Hero and the Deadbolts video (was it just me?), then he had an ad for a skateshop around 1994 and dropped off the face of the earth.

Anybody know his story?

A bit random I know, on my own at home drinking beer and watching old skate videos.

Wrong place at the wrong time. He unfortunately hit his peak when front foot impossibles and the last vestiges of ollie grab variations dominated. I assumed he was from East County (San Diego) and I think he worked at Awesome Sports skate shop at about the same time that Willy Santos and June Cate worked there.

Howzit_World

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Anybody know his story?

[close]

Wrong place at the wrong time. He unfortunately hit his peak when front foot impossibles and the last vestiges of ollie grab variations dominated. I assumed he was from East County (San Diego) and I think he worked at Awesome Sports skate shop at about the same time that Willy Santos and June Cate worked there.

That make sense, he definitely was partial to an impossible and a grab or two.

Yeah the ad I was referring to was for Awesome Sports, the photo was taken outside the shop. I seem to remember reading he was from La Mesa.  

Thanks for the reply.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:36:06 PM »
Wasn't he a Marc Johnson's team manager at Maple Skateboards?

Howzit_World

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »

I don't know but I would be interested to know if it were true.

Anybody able to confirm?

Howzit_World

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »

You are correct. I saw an interview with Johnson recently on youtube (9 club?) where he says that Jak was team manager for Maple and got him on the team.

I also came across Rob Hostetter's (OG San Diego skater and also of Zorlac fame) website and emailed him about Jak, replied saying he hadn't heard anything about him in years (then "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA").

Trail is dead.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
I guess two years is an appropriate time to contemplate Jak Barnett's post Awesome Sports career.

Speaking of Rob Hostetter, I last saw him through a window of a taco shop in San Diego, slowly polishing off the last of the largest table of food outside of Thanksgiving.

Howzit_World

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
I guess two years is an appropriate time to contemplate Jak Barnett's post Awesome Sports career.

Speaking of Rob Hostetter, I last saw him through a window of a taco shop in San Diego, slowly polishing off the last of the largest table of food outside of Thanksgiving.

He's a big chap now, must have been putting away the tacos.

Howzit_World

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »
So anyway I was chatting to an old pro who had lived with Jak in San Diego who told me Jak was going to be pro on Pushead's company Museum (don't think it got off the ground). He got involved in drugs and did time in jail which I suppose was the final nail in the coffin of his skate career.

Case closed.