Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47540 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Sorry fellas and ladies, but I'm too fuckin' busy at work this morning. Daily Reflections will return tomorrow.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2015

"When taking a break from writing I open the blinds allowing the sun to flood the room. Let the sunshine in to your life. My mother always taught me the importance of allowing a room to have light. The same goes for our lives. I reflect a lot but not so much that I'm stuck there. Moving forward has always been part of who I am. Tomorrow brings a new day." p.107, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2015

"The intent in the beginning was personal, for my own maybe selfish reasons. To hold onto a moment and remember. My life has always had a journey, a going someplace vibe to it. So when my career began I looked at writing as a keepsake of my journey. Through a few years the notebook and those scraps of paper united to became [sic] an online book for my website. I would have new adventures and simply update the online book. As I traveled, I would get lots of feedback from readers of my story. Unexpectedly, I would have people tell me how my story inspired them or reached them and made an impact. I had no idea people would even sit in front of their computer for a long period to walk my steps and hear my life story." p.14, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:55 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
surely dougster has something to do with this?
http://business.transworld.net/news/action-sports-bullying-prevention-high-school-tour/

Not only do I NOT see Doug's name on this list, but I don't recognize a single name from the pros listed to appear. Am I that out of the loop?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:26 AM »
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2015

"There is an abundance of heroes of untold stories. Mothers and fathers are heroes to a high degree. The single parent that put themselves through school by working two jobs, being a slave to the grind for the survival of their offspring. The statistics of single mothers in the United States today is staggering. The countless stories of mothers putting their child's needs before their own. From the simple task of the mother fixing the boo boo to the choice to sacrifice your own life to save your baby. A true story of a mother that finds out she has conceived a child only to find out a few months later she is diagnosed with head and neck cancer. She is now faced with a dilemma of epic proportions. She could undergo chemotherapy to save her own life or take the treatment to save the life of her baby. [???] She made the noble choice to spare the life of her child. Tragically, she passed away. She did live long enough to hold her tiny baby girl in her arms. The ultimate sacrifice, to lay down her own life for her unborn child. A story of monumental courage and womanhood. Stories like this sadly don't make the headlines. They are ignored and replaced with celebrity news and gossip." p.65-66, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

DixonYurazo

« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
doug is covering too much ground in this book.  can't believe the same guy from the dew tour thought this all up...heck, i may have even seen him on a stick of deodorant, but i'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2015, 05:18:54 PM »
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2015
A true story of a mother that finds out she has conceived a child only to find out a few months later she is diagnosed with head and neck cancer. She is now faced with a dilemma of epic proportions. She could undergo chemotherapy to save her own life or take the treatment to save the life of her baby. She made the noble choice to spare the life of her child. Tragically, she passed away.
Fucking powerful stuff
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2015

"A movie that inspired me and really made me think as a child was the film, The Elephant Man." p.85, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: September 07, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2015

(quick note: I'm traveling this week so the updates won't be as regular, but I did bring our bible with us so I'll update when I can. I trust that we, together, can do this crazy thing called life until I get back to work next Monday and back to my daily routine. Stay strong in the light my brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, etc.)

"Years ago, after jumping off of a plane to return home, I was swept up directly after the flight by an old friend of mine. Our destination was to skate some parks nearby. I was already tired from all the skate events I just attended, but I figured it would be good to catch up with the old friend. Well the old friend brought his old friend which I never met. I was introduced to Drunk Tim as he was called. Drunk Tim was in the back seat as we bustled our way around the metropolis looking for skate spots on route to a skate park. The overwhelmingly strong stench of alcohol and body odor projected its way up to the front of the car. Sure enough, Drunk Tim lived up to his name. This was the middle of the day on a weekday I might add. We arrived at the skate park. My friend and I sprung out of the car attacking the ramps and ledges. Tim follows in his hazy movement he created from his chosen substance. Eventually, we are all on the ramp together taking our turns on the shared half pipe ramp. /tim's run was what it was. Fellow skaters were laughing. I even caught myself in the moment of a giggle that I would regret later.....(to be continued)" p.96, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:56 AM »
Expand Quote
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2015

(quick note: I'm traveling this week so the updates won't be as regular, but I did bring our bible with us so I'll update when I can. I trust that we, together, can do this crazy thing called life until I get back to work next Monday and back to my daily routine. Stay strong in the light my brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, etc.)

"Years ago, after jumping off of a plane to return home, I was swept up directly after the flight by an old friend of mine. Our destination was to skate some parks nearby. I was already tired from all the skate events I just attended, but I figured it would be good to catch up with the old friend. Well the old friend brought his old friend which I never met. I was introduced to Drunk Tim as he was called. Drunk Tim was in the back seat as we bustled our way around the metropolis looking for skate spots on route to a skate park. The overwhelmingly strong stench of alcohol and body odor projected its way up to the front of the car. Sure enough, Drunk Tim lived up to his name. This was the middle of the day on a weekday I might add. We arrived at the skate park. My friend and I sprung out of the car attacking the ramps and ledges. Tim follows in his hazy movement he created from his chosen substance. Eventually, we are all on the ramp together taking our turns on the shared half pipe ramp. /tim's run was what it was. Fellow skaters were laughing. I even caught myself in the moment of a giggle that I would regret later.....(to be continued)" p.96, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
[close]

Oh, shit.

D.B. Cooper.
Doug Brown Cooper.
We got him, guys.

I'm with drunk Tim, I want to hear his side of the story.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2015

"I'm not at a perfect medium in my life where my finances are matched by responsible spending. I'm always conscientiously saving. In high school, I was the sixteen year old entrepreneur with my skateboard shop. I was making two hundred dollars a day. My hobby was skateboarding, but it was also saving money." p.55, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2015

Continuing the Drunk Tim story from 9/7/15...

"On the drive to take Tim home the conversation of skateboarders from the 1980s arose. We talked 80s music as well and I'm thinking, he has to be at least in his late forties. I ask him how old he is and proceeds to tell me. We are the exact same age. I'm locking eyes with him and the pit of my stomach turns. I'm the same age as this guy. All I could feel was a sadness for him. I heard him talking, but I was thinking inwardly, 'I could have been this guy. This could be me had I gone down the path of abusing alcohol.' There was nothing funny about this situation he was in. He showed me a photo of his young daughter. He was a father. We dropped him off at his ex girlfriend's broken down brick apartment where he was living. I never saw him again after that. I didn't feel angry toward him. I felt sad. Maybe he has turned his life around and I hope he has. People end up in destructive lifestyles for so many reasons. It was heavy to think of the things we had in common and the things we didn't have in common. It all made me thankful of the choices I made through the years. The power of choice. In life we are constantly at that fork in the road. Life is about choices. I grew up when Nancy Reagan was starting her Just Say No campaign across the nation during her husband's presidency. Creative exits out of making a bad choice are easy. No one has a gun to your head making you do something you don't want to do." p.96-97, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: September 15, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2015

"My mother was my cheerleader for all of my artistic endeavors. I always felt my father was uninterested in hearing my original compositions or going to see me in a skate competition. A lot of this, I believe, was from his upbringing of the unspoken positive reassurance. Looking back though that philosophy does carry some weight. He might not have listened to my music but he would help me pay for recording equipment. He never watched me skateboard, but he would help out with the birth of my skate shop. He never once went to see me perform in all my years of being in bands and talent shows, yet someone had to help pay for the years of guitar lessons in my youth. I believe there is a balance." p.32, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2015

"The man who gets in the car crash and meets his wife at a rehabilitation center as a result ends up having children with her and becomes an author sharing his life story to reach others. He will tell you he is thankful that he went through these events because it landed him in that position. We find ourselves, because of the detours in our life. Peace and contentment can only be found in positive actions and in a positive state of mind. Hope and optimism come solely from within." p.106, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2015

"I typically watch documentaries from many different genres." p.69, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Ticallion Stallion

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2015

"I typically watch documentaries from many different genres." p.69, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Deep

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2015, 08:39:10 PM »
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2015

Continuing the Drunk Tim story from 9/7/15...

"On the drive to take Tim home the conversation of skateboarders from the 1980s arose. We talked 80s music as well and I'm thinking, he has to be at least in his late forties. I ask him how old he is and proceeds to tell me. We are the exact same age. I'm locking eyes with him and the pit of my stomach turns. I'm the same age as this guy. All I could feel was a sadness for him. I heard him talking, but I was thinking inwardly, 'I could have been this guy. This could be me had I gone down the path of abusing alcohol.' There was nothing funny about this situation he was in. He showed me a photo of his young daughter. He was a father. We dropped him off at his ex girlfriend's broken down brick apartment where he was living. I never saw him again after that. I didn't feel angry toward him. I felt sad. Maybe he has turned his life around and I hope he has. People end up in destructive lifestyles for so many reasons. It was heavy to think of the things we had in common and the things we didn't have in common. It all made me thankful of the choices I made through the years. The power of choice. In life we are constantly at that fork in the road. Life is about choices. I grew up when Nancy Reagan was starting her Just Say No campaign across the nation during her husband's presidency. Creative exits out of making a bad choice are easy. No one has a gun to your head making you do something you don't want to do." p.96-97, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

I bet Drunk Tim went home, cracked a beer and thought, no matter how low things have got, thank God I'm not Doug Brown.

Just Say No! too, wasn't her husband's government importing all the coke anyhow?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2015

"What defines a hero? What defines a heroic gesture? The word hero is taken from the ancient Greeks. In Greek history there was a time period where gods and monsters had the heroic tales of good verses evil. The Greek word has been taken to English and used for people we admire or are in awe of. The Greek heroes similar to the characters portrayed by William Shakespeare would have stories of triumph with morals and values integrated from the depths of mythology Today, we look at heroes as being celebrities or figures of great accomplishment. Figures like Martin Luther King who have inspired beyond belief and helped to create cultural change. Everyone has a story of triumph, a monumental experience, or has been through the extraordinary. Whether it be big or small the moment still has significance." p.64-65, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2015, 09:11:22 AM »
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2015

"I'm an optimist and my work is far from over in life. He was right. Those who are quick to judge something they don't understand may lack experience or knowledge. I've been on the planet for enough decades to know what's important; our family, our friends, our community, our nation and our world. Experience makes us richer, more fulfilled human beings. How we relate to one another is vital in the health and heartbeat of our world and to mankind. I'm in the here and now." p.108, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

editors note: Doug's sporadic use/non-use of the Oxford comma throughout this book is alarming, disconcerting and downright upsetting to me. It says one of two things: 1) that Doug's a sociopath and needs to be placed on an FBI watch list or 2) that he has a deeper understanding of grammar and the AP style, knowing when to unleash said comma and when to keep it tucked away as he did in the excerpt above. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
editors note: Doug's sporadic use/non-use of the Oxford comma throughout this book is alarming, disconcerting and downright upsetting to me. It says one of two things: 1) that Doug's a sociopath and needs to be placed on an FBI watch list or 2) that he has a deeper understanding of grammar and the AP style, knowing when to unleash said comma and when to keep it tucked away as he did in the excerpt above. �\_(ツ)_/�

he's basically skating's hemingway
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2015, 12:18:07 PM »
My apologies for the lack of a post today, ladies and gentlemen. It's just been "one of those mornings" as I went to see the surgeon for a pre-op.

NO, you silly. I'm having my tonsils out

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
Hope all goes well you crazy bitch...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2015

"I knew the real world would be knocking on my door upon my graduation day. It was that money and penny pinching that allowed me to buy a home and live a life without financial strain. I have always lived within my means. Spend money however you chose [sic], just be responsible about it. I've had friends that say they are broke and having money problems, yet they have the nicest cars, fanciest high-tech cell phones, or a two hundred dollar purse. I won't go into my cheapness eccentricities, however when going through adverse times there should always be a priority list." p.55, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:27 AM »
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2015

"That following autumn, the phone rang. I was asked to join that ramp sponsor on countless events. I was being shipped off to grand openings of skate parks, skate shops, event after event. I found myself getting paid and making more and more industry connections. One sponsor or event would open up the door to another and so on. I eventually had to stop teaching guitar for the simple fact my calendar didn't allow me the time. That, and the paychecks from skating far out weighed [sic] the teaching gig." p.21; Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #296 on: September 25, 2015, 01:02:52 AM »
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2015

"That following autumn, the phone rang. I was asked to join that ramp sponsor on countless events. I was being shipped off to grand openings of skate parks, skate shops, event after event. I found myself getting paid and making more and more industry connections. One sponsor or event would open up the door to another and so on. I eventually had to stop teaching guitar for the simple fact my calendar didn't allow me the time. That, and the paychecks from skating far out weighed [sic] the teaching gig." p.21; Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Wow! That's unbelievable. There is no God.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2015

"My father's father was employed by the HPM corporation for thirty-five years in the small town of Mt. Gilead, Ohio. My father was the oldest of three. His father was a tall, distinguished man of the 1950s. The words I love you were to be unspoken, as gestures were more powerful than three little words in his household. That's how he was raised." p.29-30; Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
Alright, y'all. Quick announcement before today's post:

Tomorrow I'm having my tonsils out and I'm told that the recovery is terrible.

In a perfect world, Doug would come visit me in the hospital with signed posters and deodorants, but unfortunately I don't think any of that's going to happen (Doug, if you're reading this and want to do some charity work, please "pm" me).

I don't know how often I'm going to be able to update over the next two weeks, but I'm taking the book home with me and if the Vicodin doesn't make me forget, I'll update when able.

And now, without further adieu:

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2015

"It doesn't take being a professional skateboarder or a doctor to help someone. We all have something to offer or bring to the table. Words of encouragement are important. You can make a difference with people and the little things do matter. It's a constant reminder of that theory when visiting these kids. There have been times when I'm visiting a hospital and they will have me visit both the children and teens in one visit. There may be twenty to thirty kids all in one day. Even if none of them know who I am I'm entering the room with my skateboard, a poster and most importantly a smile. I'm real with these people. I respect the weight of the situation in the room. I know they are going through something awful. My job is to take them away from that environment with conversations of positive things and enlightenment. The powerful look on their face when signing a poster for them, or talking to a child about Star Wars only to find out he has named his cancerous tumor General Grievous (a villain in Star Wars) is priceless. Making a connection, that is key." p.68-69, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
Three days in and NO signed stuff from Doug. :(

This much I know now: tonsillectomy surgery is hard as fuck.

Now, on to a meditation for today, let's check back in with Tommy with the blue hat:

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2015

"I then walk towards Tommy and I lean down beside him, matching his height. I explain that putting myself in his shoes I have the ability to imagine how he feels by my poking words. I'd imagine the start of his day before school and him putting on that favorite blue hat. Tommy was just being himself. I'm able to care enough about his feelings to put myself on the receiving end of the ridicule. I also explain the wrong doing of the surrounding supporters of the bully. Adding to the problem only fuels the bully and makes the situation worse. When we see someone being harassed by a bully we want to stand up for the victim, not the attacker. The perpetrator is lacking something within themselves. Their immaturity and insecurity is written in their actions. They are simply trying to bring themselves up by bringing someone else down." p.81, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown