Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47545 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay, ladies and gents.

I'll be getting back to this soon.

Your pal in reflection,

GAY

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #301 on: October 19, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
MONDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2015

"The entertainment industry and media are guilty of being shallow. It doesn't help when beauty pageants and pencil thin Barbie dolls are still in existence. We all judge. We all have preferences and we are entitled to that. How irresponsible people are with their actions, opinions and behaviors is mind boggling." p.85, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #302 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »
Does he have another book? I still check this thread every time you post in it GAY but i think this book might have ran its course. It seems like he just repeats the same thing over and over again.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #303 on: October 19, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
Does he have another book? I still check this thread every time you post in it GAY but i think this book might have ran its course. It seems like he just repeats the same thing over and over again.

It's definitely repetitive, but I think that's from whence comes the healing.

Once I've crossed out every passage from this book I'll look towards the next, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up for the subject matter being too different.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: October 20, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2015

"Skateboarding came back with a vengeance thanks to Tony Hawk's video games and the all mighty X-Games. Those two big guns put skateboarding into people's living rooms. Skateboarding became more accepted in modern culture than ever before. My chance meeting with a sponsor at the Gravity Games 2002 in Cleveland Ohio began my yellow brick road experience." p.52, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2015

"Behind every successful person is a mother, father, friend, a mentor, or a role model. People are the heaviest components in our lives. Our relationships with each other are vital in who we become and chose to be. If you were to make a list of the people you admire and respect you could see a shadow of yourself without even realizing it. Your family is the starting component of your sense of self early in your life. Our parents plant the seeds of groundwork for who we become." p.28, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2015

"Our actions and words are controlled by our state of mind. To act or react. The spoken word can have just as much of an effect as a physical action. Hate comes from within and is expressed by many means from verbal to physical action. Symptoms range from violence to the ploy of bullying. Hate is often defined as a strong dislike. I really dislike the taste of asparagus, but I don't hate it. The asparagus is innocent in my disliking. Even in your worst enemy. Hate begets hate; violence begets violence. All humanity is interlinked. When someone dehumanizes another by inflicting pain they dehumanize themselves. If someone is a racist or commits unspeakable crimes they themselves have lost their humanity." p.78, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2015

"I know from personal experience being optimistic and having a positive outlook will carry you through hard times. In addition to reaching out for help, it's important to find and embrace your anti-drug. For me it was and still is skateboarding, music, reading, movies and more. I've said it before and I will say it again, find your natural highs they are everywhere. We have natural chemicals in our brain called endorphins that are released causing feelings of euphoria. We can onset these chemicals by exercises or doing something you really enjoy. Even the simple act of laughter. Equally as important as reaching out for help is the importance of giving help. We all have the unique ability to make a difference anyway we can, big or small. From doing volunteer work, to the simple act of giving a friend some good advice, or lending a caring ear. If you have a friend or relative that you see going down the wrong path or is sunk in depression, your simple act of lending your voice and ear can help a great deal in their road to recovery. Hope and optimism are both contagious. It takes courage and bravery to seek help and the same goes for giving help." p.100-101, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2015

"...My chance meeting with a sponsor at the Gravity Games 2002 in Cleveland Ohio began my yellow brick road experience." p.52, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
That fateful day in Cleveland...some people believed that they were watching an eccentric manboy barging the ramps in between pro runs.  Others thought that it was just little Owen Brown's drunk uncle up to his usual shenanigans after having finished a bottle of flavored vodka before lunch.  The rest knew that it was so much more and that skateboarding would never be the same. 

This was not a chance meeting, this was divine intervention...

Stay amazing Doug Brown, may your dick remain forever wet. 

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »
"We can probably pay this dude practically nothing."
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
MONDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2015

"Having logic will take you from point A to point B, but your imagination can take you anywhere. Exploring our imagination is something we start in our childhood. The relationship between the mind, imagination and the heart determines the drive and to what degree a dream becomes a reality." p.50, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2015, 05:31:36 AM »
Doug Clown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: October 27, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2015

"For many, sadly, education on these topics is never taught in the home. If someone is taught hate and bigotry in the home that's what they will bring forth into the world. Our schools and educators are there, responsible for teaching them. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time we spend teaching our youth subjects that in the real world seem useless. Meanwhile the real world subjects like sociology and bullying are left alone on the sidelines. When I visit schools to speak, these are the topics I definitely tackle. I've read a great deal about bullying. I've never been a spectator of speakers that specialize on the topic. Many make the same mistakes in their teaching as they do in the anti-drug movement. Drowning the youth in statistics and power point presentations is meaningless." p.79-80, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #313 on: October 28, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »
Oh shit that was a good point about speakers failing to reach kids with statistics, if true.

Doug probably connects since skateboarding is fun and fun keeps you young.

I think I'm starting to non-ironically like Doug.  :-\

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: October 28, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2015

"Living in the moment frees you from who you might have been in the past or who you might become in the future. You have control of your direction, but you can only control that living in the here and now. It's what truly counts. It's the baby steps in reaching and achieving a goal. It's being in that single step that is taking you to where you want to be. In life there can be a destination, but it's the journey that counts." p.11, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »
The Adventures of............"CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!!!"
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2015

"We are all drawn to love stories. Nothing is more apparent in literature and film. From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet to Nicolas Spark's The Notebook. From the motion picture of James Cameron's Titanic to Rob Reiner's classic When Harry Met Sally. I believe in love. I believe in positive energy, compassion and caring for another. We try to communicate through words, art, and expression to the ones we love. It's that overwhelming gut feeling in the pit of your soul that tells you that you care and deeply desire this person." p.44, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #317 on: October 30, 2015, 03:38:54 AM »
GAY, I haven't Slap'd in over a year and only occasionally lurked UWTB for industry on/ofs and thus had not noticed what you had created hear with Doug and your reflections. After reading every post up to now in the space of a few shorts hours I can tell you that this will be my first point of call every time I visit the boards. You and Doug have really struck a chord with me, he is like some kind of living deity and you his apostle spreading the gospel to Slap. I'm looking forward to when you move onto his other tome/s.

I'd also like it if occasionally you authored your own "Doug'isms" and placed them into the mix disguised as Doug's work just to see if we could spot them. A little slice of wisdom or an anicdote from your own experience (or imagination) written in the style of Doug, just to spice things up around here. I feel as though your knowlege of Doug warrants you this artistic licence.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
GAY, I haven't Slap'd in over a year and only occasionally lurked UWTB for industry on/ofs and thus had not noticed what you had created hear with Doug and your reflections. After reading every post up to now in the space of a few shorts hours I can tell you that this will be my first point of call every time I visit the boards. You and Doug have really struck a chord with me, he is like some kind of living deity and you his apostle spreading the gospel to Slap. I'm looking forward to when you move onto his other tome/s.

I'd also like it if occasionally you authored your own "Doug'isms" and placed them into the mix disguised as Doug's work just to see if we could spot them. A little slice of wisdom or an anicdote from your own experience (or imagination) written in the style of Doug, just to spice things up around here. I feel as though your knowlege of Doug warrants you this artistic licence.

SodaJerk you've been missed.
Your idea is an awesome one. I may run with it in some way but for now you can believe that everything I'm writing is straight from the pen of the master, Dougie-B.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: October 30, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2015

"Some children may come from a broken home where they may only have one parent as their teacher of morals and values. To the impressionable student the school teacher is providing monumental lessons of life that aren't obtained from a text book. These school mentors continue throughout our educational experience even through college." p.33,  Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2015

"Some children may come from a broken home where they may only have one parent as their teacher of morals and values. To the impressionable student the school teacher is providing monumental lessons of life that aren't obtained from a text book. These school mentors continue throughout our educational experience even through college." p.33,  Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

So...single parents of children from broken homes are also schoolteachers? Am I missing some of the context?

Also this made me laugh when I first read it:

MONDAY, MAY 11, 2015

"At school I was Doug the performer, not Doug the student. I embraced that I was doing something different than my peers. I developed my sense of self very early on. Putting my dreams into action was never out of reach in my mind. I had the feeling that anything was possible if I put my mind to it." p. 16 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
"Putting my dreams into action was never out of reach in my mind."

Amazing.

Thanks for this thread, GAY. That photo's great as well.  Reminds me of a cute high school teacher I had who gave me a shoulder/back rub once, that's as far as I got in the teacher department.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: November 02, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2015

"Cupid had sharpened his arrow when he put my parents together. In my mother's childhood journal you can see in pencil written 'I like that Chucky Brown'. During my mother's funeral the preacher talked about how he remembered seeing my parents out and about the town while in middle school always being hand in hand. This was the same preacher present at the alter to wed the two." p.43, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2015

"When I first started my skateboard career I was being asked to speak at grade school graduations. Local sheriff departments were requesting I speak with them at the schools they were visiting. This whirlwind of activity was happening and the word spread. I began going further and further with my school visits. The feedback I was receiving was remarkable and heartfelt. I received emails from parents and students expressing how much my words had affected them. I was now reaching people on such a higher level than just being the skateboard guy on TV or an an event. The skateboard world was limited. My words and messages were not limited, at all. My skateboarding has great significance in my life but through time my primary focus has become this new avenue." p.93-94, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2015

"In 1992 I was out of school and had zero plans. My older brother went off to college and was bound for a future. Because of friction with my father, my belongings were placed on the yard on a rainy afternoon. I had lots of money saved up from my skate whop job. At sixteen I acquired a vendors license, got a small loan, and became an entrepreneur. The skateboard industry was at an all time low so skateboard shops and skate parks closed over night. [sic]" p.17, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
Nothing screams entrepreneur like calling yourself one. Wonder what if the "friction" between him and his father could has been solved with lubricant.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
Nothing screams entrepreneur like calling yourself one. Wonder what if the "friction" between him and his father could has been solved with lubricant.

its cuz his dad never told little doug he loves him, and it makes me shed thug tears just thinkin about it.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2015

"Twenty-six year old Rob from Maryland shares he was very shy so he began drinking socially to ease that. He admits to drinking and driving on many occasions. He was arrested twice for drinking while intoxicated [sic]. He went through weeks of alcohol abuse classes. After his probation was over he went out with a friend to their local bar. They ended up drinking the night away. He didn't think twice about getting in his car to go home. Later that morning, he woke up with a broken femur and a broken eye socket. He had no feeling in the left side of his face. Later, he learned that the feeling would not come back. The dashboard had gone right through his leg, pinning him until the paramedics arrived. He also woke up to find that twelve feed of rope had been placed in his nose, because his sinus cavity was crushed. His jaw was also sutured shut. Basically, he was drinking one moment and the next he was laying in a bed not able to see or breathe. He now appreciates how one moment can change your life. Where are all his drinking buddies now? They are all gone. He admits to being the one at parties trying to get everyone drunk. He was thankful that he never hurt anyone else and he now understands the damage he caused himself." p.99, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #327 on: November 05, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2015

"Twenty-six year old Rob from Maryland shares he was very shy so he began drinking socially to ease that. He admits to drinking and driving on many occasions. He was arrested twice for drinking while intoxicated [sic]. He went through weeks of alcohol abuse classes. After his probation was over he went out with a friend to their local bar. They ended up drinking the night away. He didn't think twice about getting in his car to go home. Later that morning, he woke up with a broken femur and a broken eye socket. He had no feeling in the left side of his face. Later, he learned that the feeling would not come back. The dashboard had gone right through his leg, pinning him until the paramedics arrived. He also woke up to find that twelve feed of rope had been placed in his nose, because his sinus cavity was crushed. His jaw was also sutured shut. Basically, he was drinking one moment and the next he was laying in a bed not able to see or breathe. He now appreciates how one moment can change your life. Where are all his drinking buddies now? They are all gone. He admits to being the one at parties trying to get everyone drunk. He was thankful that he never hurt anyone else and he now understands the damage he caused himself." p.99, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Damn the law plays hardball in Maryland.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: November 06, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2015

"Martin Luther King, Jr. spent his life seeking human rights for black Americans. He would even humanize the opposition. He refrained from hate or violence, even when it meant harassment, imprisonment and ultimately assassination. Through all this he never wavered his commitment to others. His message clearly rings true to this day. In his words "We must all learn to live together as brothers. Or we will all perish together as fools." p.78-79, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: November 09, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2015

"Your eyes should be open to dream, becoming reality." p.47, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown